• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri Official Site Updated

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I can beat the first guy in under 5 minutes with the Switch Axe. I beat the second guy after dying twice against the second dude, he summoned a dragon who complicated things, but I still did it in under 20 minutes.

upandaway said:
2. Heavy Bowgun, Light Bowgun. I put both as one attempt because I quit around the 5 minute mark. Maybe they just suck in the circumstances of the demo? Also I hoped I'd be able to shoot Qurupeco as he flies up high and make him fall down, but he never flew up in the time I played. Does it happen?
Hit and evade, but I loved it, it was the first weapon I tried. And no, Qurupeco won't fall down because your shots won't make that far. Read my rage above, but also read Tenbatsu post saying that it depends on which equipment you have. :D

Hey guys, I know next to nothing about the Monster Hunter series but this game looks cool and I want a black classic controller and there's some pretty good pre-order bonuses at Gamestop.

Is this game going to be really good? Like, best in the series? Must-own Wii game?

Should I pre-order it?

Alex

The Lamonster said:
Hey guys, I know next to nothing about the Monster Hunter series but this game looks cool and I want a black classic controller and there's some pretty good pre-order bonuses at Gamestop.

Is this game going to be really good? Like, best in the series? Must-own Wii game?

Should I pre-order it?

It's a reboot, and a very polished one that reaches out to new players a lot more, so if you're going to try one, try this one.

You'd be better off reading posts, watching the trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEMu3E7aUi0), etc then just asking if people are digging it though. I think it's the best ARPG and best online RPG of all time, but it's also very insular in it's design so it takes a pretty specific person (well, at least in the Western world seemingly!).

This thread is full of people who are either entirely new or are completely infatuated with the series. You're not going to get very interesting responses!

Alex said:
It's a reboot, and a very polished one that reaches out to new players a lot more, so if you're going to try one, try this one.

You'd be better off reading posts, watching the trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEMu3E7aUi0), etc then just asking if people are digging it though.

This thread is full of people who are either entirely new or are completely infatuated with the series. You're not going to get very interesting responses!
Cool, thanks. Is this comparable to Shadow of the Colossus? Or an MMO?

What are some similar games?

Alex

The Lamonster said:
Cool, thanks. Is this comparable to Shadow of the Colossus? Or an MMO?

What are some similar games?

Not too many that are very sameish. Demon's Souls is the closest current comparison I could give and even that is exceedingly different to the point where I dont know why I use it.

It's a hunting RPG. A very weighty one.

Mostly "boss" fights,

heavily skill based progression,

"classes" based off of weapon types, all control different,

shit tons of equipment/skills/crafting/gathering/item usage.

1-4 players, solo is better than the average ORPG, but not top tier (never tried 3's yet much though, to be fair).

Very lengthy, lots of content (250-500+ hours if you're so inclined)

Really polished, extremely good art direction, all orchestral soundtrack

Mission structure for play, non-linear levels based off of random world ecology.

Game doesn't pamper you much though, more than before, but it still would rather keep it's design type than adapt to the mainstream (though I'm not sure I can say this about MH when it sells so much in Japan).

Either the design type will rub you the wrong way or you'll completely fall in love with it, that seems to be the 50/50 on it. Personally, it's my current favorite franchise and as far as I'm concerned it's both the best ARPG and online RPG there is. If you like the trailer and are interested in weighty, polished combat and lots of crafting then give it a go.

Okay that sounds awesome. Your description was much better than a Wiki article or official site description could do. Pre-ordering now. Thanks!

Eteric Rice

Question about Classic Controller pro. Are the analog sticks positioned farther away from one another than on the normal one? The positions on the normal classic controller bother the hell out of me, since I have to reach my thumb out more than normally.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Went to gamestop today in NJ- they just had the demos out in a display so I was able to just take one.

Can't wait

Mafro

Eteric Rice said:
Question about Classic Controller pro. Are the analog sticks positioned farther away from one another than on the normal one? The positions on the normal classic controller bother the hell out of me, since I have to reach my thumb out more than normally.

Yeah they are positioned farther apart, it's much more confortable. The shoulder buttons are a lot better too.

fr4nz

Alex said:
Very lengthy, lots of content (250-500+ hours if you're so inclined)

I'm not sure about the 500+ hours on Tri ... there's only 15 boss in this one (in MHFU/2ndG, there's 57 boss).

I've played the japanese version of Tri with the 20 days of free online, and never played it since it's launch last year.

I'm still playing mhfu though =D

Zzoram

fr4nz said:
I'm not sure about the 500+ hours on Tri ... there's only 15 boss in this one (in MHFU/2ndG, there's 57 boss).

I've played the japanese version of Tri with the 20 days of free online, and never played it since it's launch last year.

Why does Tri have so many fewer bosses than the other versions? Does it have more zones or other monsters/content?

upandaway

PounchEnvy said:
Have you guys tried damaging Quru's horn-nose thing? It totally helps out since it can't heal or call other monsters.
It actually heals? Goddammit! No wonder!
Do I just aim for the head?

Thanks for the whetstones thing, I didn't notice I had it. When I use it it says the sharpness of my weapon is at maximum.
I also noticed a box near my camp, with lots of items I didn't have before, like the mini whetstone, but the box only had 2-3 of these items. Not really worth it for 20 minutes. Maybe in the actual game.

fr4nz

Zzoram said:
Why does Tri have so many fewer bosses than the other versions? Does it have more zones or other monsters/content?

Tri is a brand 'new' game from scratch.
MHFU is in fact MH 1 + MH 2 + 2ndG

And in MH, more monsters means more weapons, more stuff to collect... so more things to do :)

Alex

It's not really that huge of a deal, the headcount that is. Freedom Unite is kind of a mess with just how many redundant monsters and sets there are. Two games, two expansions and umpteen updates are all kind of crammed together in a very unnatural feeling way IMO.

Obviously it's not much of a slam to state a game has TOO much content, but I prefer the slimmed down reboot Tri brought, and I kinda hope they never let it compile to such an obscene state again. I never really felt right with the way you cut down so many monsters and never gave em more than a fleeting thought.

Tri being closer to the original, though with a better eye for polish and balance suits me more personally

I know a lot of people are like myself in that they have never experienced a MH game before and are curious as to how this all plays out. Ive located a livestream that has people doing hunts on it. So far ive seen tons of stuff that really lets me know what the meat of the game will be like. http://www.livestream.com/ageofcalamity But id ignore the chat is its pretty typical of online communities.

Poyunch

upandaway said:
It actually heals? Goddammit! No wonder!
Do I just aim for the head?

Thanks for the whetstones thing, I didn't notice I had it. When I use it it says the sharpness of my weapon is at maximum.
I also noticed a box near my camp, with lots of items I didn't have before, like the mini whetstone, but the box only had 2-3 of these items. Not really worth it for 20 minutes. Maybe in the actual game.
I know vertical slices to the head with the Slash Axe will eventually damage it enough. Unless Ten can clarify this. You'll see when you've done it enough see you'll literally see it all ripped and damaged.

Oh and if you stay too long when a monster retreats to another area they can heal themselves if enough time passes.

upandaway

kafka rock opera said:
I know a lot of people are like myself in that they have never experienced a MH game before and are curious as to how this all plays out. Ive located a livestream that has people doing hunts on it. So far ive seen tons of stuff that really lets me know what the meat of the game will be like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEhxVsDW92w&feature=PlayList&p=FDAEC35A9F970738&index=0 But id ignore the chat is its pretty typical of online communities.
I don't know, I would prefer going on a blackout on any monster I didn't hunt yet. From the demo, it looks like I will love the game, so I don't wanna take chances.

upandaway said:
I don't know, I would prefer going on a blackout on any monster I didn't hunt yet. From the demo, it looks like I will love the game, so I don't wanna take chances.
For what its worth most of these arent tri streams ever. A lot of it is from the psp games, but i understand what you mean as far as similar monsters. I just personally LOVE watching people play games especially ones I havent played or am interested in.

Varjet

kafka rock opera said:
I know a lot of people are like myself in that they have never experienced a MH game before and are curious as to how this all plays out. Ive located a livestream that has people doing hunts on it. So far ive seen tons of stuff that really lets me know what the meat of the game will be like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEhxVsDW92w&feature=PlayList&p=FDAEC35A9F970738&index=0 But id ignore the chat is its pretty typical of online communities.
Going by that link, I'm assuming there are lots of puzzles in MH. Is that correct?

Varjet said:
Going by that link, I'm assuming there are lots of puzzles in MH. Is that correct?
:( i just noticed i did that. Guess you guys know one of my favorites games now! Fixed the link in my previous post. And just so you know today is video game music appreciation day for me.

Effect

If you die during a mission do creatures heal themselves or will they stay damaged until you get back to them?

Finally beat the first mission though using a long sword. Without dying which was nice. Hit and hit then evade seems to work best. Just don't get damaged to much by the big creatures seems to be the way to go. Which makes sense if you were really hunting such a beast. Not being afraid to run away even if you only get one hit or not hit at all is what I think some people might have to learn. No sticking it out thinking you can quickly drink a health potion. Even that takes time to do. Though I could do without the cheer after drinking though. That's just a waste of time. I think I had maybe one or two minutes left before I finally beat the creature. Was satisfying in the end though once I brought it down. The biggest annoyance is the creatures with the monster. If that feeling of satisfaction is common in the game I think I can understand the draw of the series finally.

Alex

Damage remains, if you've put anything substantial into them though they'll often head off to eat or sleep to heal during that down time though (or in general if you let them get away)

Poyunch

Hey upandaway, you can see the Qurupeco heal itself at 6:50 on Teknoman's run.

Anyway does anyone know how to get monsters to attack each other? Sometimes they work together and sometimes I see the Qurupeco getting attacked by the monster it calls.

ravien56

Alex said:
It's not really that huge of a deal, the headcount that is. Freedom Unite is kind of a mess with just how many redundant monsters and sets there are. Two games, two expansions and umpteen updates are all kind of crammed together in a very unnatural feeling way IMO.

Obviously it's not much of a slam to state a game has TOO much content, but I prefer the slimmed down reboot Tri brought, and I kinda hope they never let it compile to such an obscene state again. I never really felt right with the way you cut down so many monsters and never gave em more than a fleeting thought.

Tri being closer to the original, though with a better eye for polish and balance suits me more personally
I really had no idea about this. Thats kinda the reason why I liked MHFU, so many monsters and items, it really kept me busy. I wonder how many hours Tri can do.

ShinNL

Effect said:
If that feeling of satisfaction is common in the game I think I can understand the draw of the series finally.
Yep, the satisfaction is enormous in this game after taking a monster down. Note that it's stronger with single player than multi player. When you go online people enjoy the team play, but sacrifice some stress of the hunt (with 4 players you usually outnumber the monsters, while in single player it's often the other way around). That's why I really recommend at least fighting new monsters at least once before fighting them online.

Mafro

For those in the UK, Game are doing a special edition with Wii Speak, CC Pro and what looks like a little statue thing http://www.game.co.uk/Games/Wii/Monster-Hunter-Tri-Exclusive-Edition/~r346855/

346855ps_500h.jpg

£69.99 :lol

tim1138

Finally tracked down a copy of the demo and put a good hour into it. This is my first MH experience and I was pretty blown away, definitely picking this and a WiiSpeak up day 1.

So far I've tried the switch-axe, great sword. bowgun, and lance. Of the four I found the switch-axe and lance to be easiest to use. The bowgun seems like it could be cool, but but if you had other hunters supporting you , especially during reloads.

Control wise I was using the remote+nunchuck combo and had no problems with it. Next time I'll give the CC schemes a try as well.

Kad5

So can someone tell me how the online works exactly in full detail?

A link to a site with a list of the details would be preferred.

Teknoman

upandaway said:

Same here, I want to have a o_o look on my face the first time a monster's intro rolls.

PusherT

So I was doing some research what happened to the Gunlance that was featured in MH 2 Unite. That weapon had normal lance gameplay with gunplay and had wyverrn fire special. I hope Capcom brings it back in MH3G. The Switch Axe is cool too but I want my Gunlance.

:/ :/ lol my friend couldn't get his copy of the demo today. what's funny is I got one from the same Gamestop a couple days ago, but the manager was there today, she's a bitch. :lol
didn't feel like arguing but it had a $5 reserve sticker on it to

botticus

Alex said:
shit tons of equipment/skills/crafting/gathering/item usage.
How deep is the crafting mechanic? Rune Factory has really whet my appetite for this aspect, and I'm hoping for something a lot more flexible.

apujanata

Tenbatsu said:
Camera is prefect, you just need more practise. Fixed camera is a joke.

This is how the game is designed. Unless Capcom redesign everything, the loading will be staying.

You answered it yourself, different weapon have different weight to them hence the movement speed of the player.
How bad is the loading ? Is it game breaking, like PS2 games (like Suikoden 5, around 10 seconds), or just normal for Wii games (Tatsunoko, DR:CTYD, which is around 1 - 5 seconds) ?

Luigiv

apujanata said:
How bad is the loading ? Is it game breaking, like PS2 games (like Suikoden 5, around 10 seconds), or just normal for Wii games (Tatsunoko, DR:CTYD, which is around 1 - 5 seconds) ?
Load times are typically short, but frequent and in your face. It'll annoy you for the first 5 hours or so, but you'll get use to it.

CheapChampagne

Neo Member
Just found a demo copy today! HOORAY. But man oh man is it weird playing with the nunchuck. When I see MH on the screen I immediately think of the psp controls. I felt pretty noobish at first :lol. When I finally started to get used to it though it felt great. Just tossing it out there .. the lance block advance is AMAZING. And it feels great to dizzy a monster with a shield bash. :D

apujanata said:

The initial loading into the quest isn't horrendous. I didn't really take too much notice of it since I'm used to the psp versions but it definitely wasn't long. And then running into different zones is really fast.

Bear

Mafro said:
For those in the UK, Game are doing a special edition with Wii Speak, CC Pro and what looks like a little statue thing http://www.game.co.uk/Games/Wii/Monster-Hunter-Tri-Exclusive-Edition/~r346855/

http://img.game.co.uk/ml/3/4/6/8/346855ps_500h.jpg[IMG]

£69.99 :lol[/QUOTE]

[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/12/!Bk51ERwBmk~$(KGrHqEOKkMEtjhuEqNhBLZdzowVjw~~_12.JPG

Looks like the same figurine Japan got. Don't know if there are bundles with the other two.

Raelson

I wish they'd remove the monsters ability to push you out from the area. So annoying.
Qurupeco was real easy. I guess all those hours of playing MHF2 payed off. :lol

CheapChampagne

Neo Member
botticus said:
How deep is the crafting mechanic? Rune Factory has really whet my appetite for this aspect, and I'm hoping for something a lot more flexible.

MH's crafting is way deeper than Rune Factory. (Not hating on RF.. love that game)

bdouble

Well went into Gamestop today looking for a few games and shortly after a mini marathon to get a taste of each. Muramasa (wow beautiful and Red Faction:G (already addicted I think after an hour or so) on my list for a while (damn Darksiders didn't come with a key). Picked those up and decided to pick up the demo and pre-order my black CCP with MHtri.

Afterwards had my first MH experience. Dang its pretty much what I expected as in completely skill based and really complicated controls. I'd say a lot like Demon Souls because of the combat. I used the CC and the controls were a bit weird. Definitely going to stick with that config though because I don't think I can deal with no second analog. tAfter about 15 minutes I started to get used to them.

Also used Great sword so not sure if that was a good first choice. Definitely missed the guy a bunch but it looks sweet. PS this is a really good looking Wii game. Can't wait to team up with some gaffers when it comes out.

This game sound awesome.

Its a shame about the lower number of boss monsters (started with Freedom Unite) but i can live with it.

Is the music as awesome in this one?

botticus

CheapChampagne said:
MH's crafting is way deeper than Rune Factory. (Not hating on RF.. love that game)
Awesome to hear.

I think I'll swing by GS tomorrow to check on the demo - is (local) multiplayer possible in the demo at all?

Eteric Rice

Yay! I killed the first one! Would have been easier if she didn't have like 6 kids constantly trying to kill me. :lol

On to the guy with the huge neck. :D

Tenbatsu

Sammy Samusu said:
Hit and evade, but I loved it, it was the first weapon I tried. And no, Qurupeco won't fall down because your shots won't make that far. Read my rage above, but also read Tenbatsu post saying that it depends on which equipment you have. :D
Actually, the demo is a bad way to introduce gunnery. Its not that simple as in the retail game, you can actually mix and match the weapon parts. There will be a frame, a barrel and a stock. A weight of 29 and below will be a light bow, 30 - 70 will be a middle bow and 70 up will be a heavy bow. And you can combo a gun that suits you, eg. less recoil, shoot straight, elemental bullet attack up etc

fr4nz said:

I clocked 700+ with Tri and my friend a 1000+:lol I completely agreed with Alex there.

PounchEnvy said:
I know vertical slices to the head with the Slash Axe will eventually damage it enough. Unless Ten can clarify this. You'll see when you've done it enough see you'll literally see it all ripped and damaged.
Any weapon can break the head as long as you hit it on target, and every monster have their own damageable parts. And each parts you break yield you rare rewards in the retail game. There is still one more for Qurupeco thou...

PounchEnvy said:
Anyway does anyone know how to get monsters to attack each other? Sometimes they work together and sometimes I see the Qurupeco getting attacked by the monster it calls.
It depends on the monster on whether they like each other a not. You really cant force them lol.

Kad5 said:
So can someone tell me how the online works exactly in full detail?

A link to a site with a list of the details would be preferred.
Press play online -> connect to server -> choose a street to play in -> find some partners/solo -> pick a quest -> and off you go -> repeat

evangd007

Just picked up the demo. I like what I've played. Killed the first guy three times (sword/shield, longsword, and greatsword). Tried the quropeco twice but ran out of time. I just can't prevent the damn dragon from being summoned, forcing me to zone out until he leaves. Does raw meat actually lure monsters from other zones? Or am I doing something wrong?

Top Bottom