• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

th4tguy

Just beat conquest and about to start on birthright. Is there anything that carries over between the two or is it just like starting a game?

Draxal

Trying to order the Amazon exclusive limited Fire Emblem If sound track from amazon.jp... to ship to the US so is the import taxes and custom duties already included in the total amazon bill?

There's no customs on items under $200

edit. This obviously effects the US only.

Link? That sounds sorta like mangs lets play except effie was a top contributor as well there. I'm always open to watching more let's plays with characters performing well above the expected standard.
~
Is Hayato the best pairup bot for a witch MU in birthright? I'm going to marry Saizo but don't want him as my permanent pairup partner. Please keep in mind that saku as is on healer duty and can't be my partner

It was Mangs. Didn't mention effie because she's generally considered a top tier unit.

PK Gaming

I've got some time to kill so I figured i'd do a unit ranking list for Conquest on Lunatic.

Corrin
Camilla
Jakob
Azura
Xander

Corrin is a powerful/flexible unit that can go Cavalier, Ninja, Wyvern Rider, or hold off on the Heart Seal for a bit and perform well in their base class. Unparalleled boss killing utility and you really need to lean on them in many chapters. Camilla is an extremely good unit that immediately proves her worth in her joining chapter. High mobility, excellent combat (the Dual Club gives her WT control) and a great personal ability make her into a staple unit. Paladin!Jakob absolutely demolishes the early game, still hangs on for a bit in the midgame, and ends up as Corrin's best pair up bot when his combat falls off due to his ridiculous personal ability. He's pretty much this game's Seth, lol. Azura's the refresher, and the best in the series at that. Xander dominates, but he's not as godlike as you think, since his contributions start at chapter 16, he faces WTD a lot and his effectiveness is muted in certain chapters (ie: chapter 19). That said, he's still an extremely powerful and reliable unit, with his top class tanking ability, ridiculous unpenalized 1-2 range and +Speed supports letting him double pretty much anything. If you're stuck, you can pretty much count on him to bail you out of anything. (ie: Killing Hans, or doubling that damn hexing rod maid in Chapter 26

High
Elise
Leo
Niles
Gunter
Felica
Kaze
Keaton

Elise's staff support is 2nd to none, and she joins extremely early. Freeze, Enfeeble, etc are consistently amazing throughout the game and her personal also happens to be one of the very best in the game, since it makes it so much easier for your tanks to operate. Leo is by far and away the best mage Conquest. His high magic, bulk, movement and unpenalized 1-2 range make him one of your best offensive units, and like Xander, his Speed issues can easily be fixed. Forged Lightning lets him kill pretty much anything before they can retaliate, and he also has WT control via the Calamity Gate. Finally, his overkill Res, good bulk and personal tome make him the best mage killer in the game (you'll want one in chapter 26, lol). Niles is the definition of clutch. He's got an excellent early game combat due to his high Speed and deceptively solid Strength growth. He also offers locktouch utility so you basically need to use him (or Kaze) if you want to make money. He really comes into his own when he promotes though, since he gets 9 move as a Bow Knight and can do so much with it (like ferry slower units, reach far away enemies and snipe him, etc.) He (and his daughter) also has natural access to Pass and trust me you're going to want to pick that up since Endgame basically necessitates it.

Felicia and Gunter are pretty much good for the same reasons. There's a brief period of time when their combat is passable, but for the most part they're just there to make Corrin even better. Felicia doesn't dominate in the early game like Jakob, but she has decent combat as a strategist, her pair up bonuses and personal are fantastic on a Mag!Corrin, and she's actually still a good unit when she joins second (unlike Jakob). Gunter's pair up bonuses (as a Wyvern Lord) are fantastic and his personal is especially handy for dealing with hard to hit enemies (i'm goddamn looking at you Kotaro) since +15% hit makes a big difference He's also pretty much the only character that lets Corrin make use out of Nohrian Trust on Conquest. Kaze's basically good for the same reasons as Niles. Locktouch utility + supporting combat is good. He's your only natural Ninja and his mage killing is also very good (though his lowish health means he can be overtaken by several mages). Pair up bonuses are great and his personal ability can literally prevent a unit from dying. Keaton's a baller. Solid bases and the ability to do damage, but his speed is iffy and his growth is a coin flip. If he turns out poorly, he's unquestionably Camilla's best pair up option (and the resulting Velouria is a super unit).

Mid
Selena
Effie
Silas
Arthur
Beruka
Peri

Selena is swordlocked and has mediocre combat, but she's incredibly flexible. She can go Bow Knight and do okay in that, she can function as your only Falcoknight (ie: High move, Rally Speed and staff utility), and is one of the only speed boosting pair up units. Her combat will drop off hard, but unlike the rest of mid tier you can still justify using her. I find Effie to be overrated, but her earlygame tanking utility cannot be ignored (especially if you're using Male Corrin since you don't get Jakob) and her pair up bonuses are really useful. Promoting her early is ideal since her combat will drop off hard, and there's a brief period of time where her combat will be incredible. (Seriously her Javelin use is a thing of beauty). Silas is good, but so much worse on Conquest. He's a mounted unit, but his Speed is incredibly shaky, and if he gets Speed screwed he's done for. Conquest is incredibly light on speed pair ups as well, and he comes with E-rank lances to add insult to injury. That said, he's pretty helpful when he's relevant and like most male units he can pass on the torch to Sophie when he falls out of use. Arthur is seriously underrated as a unit. His luck is abysmal, but it doesn't matter when his primary use is to finish off/weaken enemies with Attack Stance or Hand Axe, and he actually has the bulk to take hits during the enemy phase (especially when he gets Sol). His growths are disgustingly good and axes are the best weapon type on Conquest. When his combat falls of he can pass to torch to Percy (who is one of the best units in the game).

Beruka's Camilla 0.5, but that isn't a bad thing considering how good Camilla is. She suffers from slow Speed and middling power, so her combat won't last forever, but she's good when she's relevant and she still has Wyvern utility. Peri's a pretty solid unit but has the unfortunate distinction of joining near the end of the earlygame and has somewhat low defense. That said, her offensive growths are great, she only needs a small boost to get going which comes in the form of her best pair up option (Laslow) and her personal is pretty cool. Contrary to popular belief, her issue isn't that she competes with Silas or Xander, but rather that it's difficult to make room for her.

Low
Laslow
Izana
Shura
Flora

Laslow is the picture of a mediocre unit. He joins lateish like Peri but has little to make up for it, and he's swordlocked at that. No real reason to use him, and Soleil isn't that great either of a unit either. Izana's actually an amazing mage with a good staff rank, he just joins extremely late. One of the best filler units for sure. Shura's a decent unit. Make as many boots jokes as you like, but his bases are great for his class and even has a decent staff rank to start out. That said, his growths are poor and you rarely have room for him. He's a great filler unit though. Flora's yet another lategame filler unit, but her saving grace is that she starts at B-rank staff. Elise reaaaaaaally makes her redundant though.

Bottom
Odin*
Charlotte*
Nyx*
Benny
Mozu

Odin, Charlotte, Nyx and Mozu are basically unusable without extreme favoritism. Odin is only notable for Ophelia's paralogue, and Ophelia herself is pretty good. Charlotte arguably has the best pair up bonuses in the game, giving her Husband a whopping +8 Strength/ +5 Speed (and even her friends get a solid 7/4 Speed so she's good with pretty much any physical unit) and is honestly a mid or even high tier character with that factored in. Nyx is a lesser version of Charlotte, since she gives her husbando +3 Magic /+6 Speed, but only Leo really wants her. He's pretty bad; joins at the point in the game where Effie's a much better tank because she does a ton damage during EP, and you're not really hurting for defense at that point. He's also slow as molasses (so doubled forever) and he doesn't really pair off well with anyone. There's never really have a point where he shines either. He's okay during his join chapter, not really great in chapter 14 since his movement is atrocious, literally unusable in 15, and then outclassed forever because Xander shows up in chapter 16. Mozu requires a heap ton of EXP (that can be used on other, better characters) in order to turn into a decent Sniper, but why do you need Sniper on Conquest when having an actual EP is just as, if not more important than a PP?

Azuran

Banned
I've got some time to kill so I figured i'd do a unit ranking list for Conquest on Lunatic.

This is great stuff. Have you done a Birthright Lunatic run yet? I assumed it's a lot simple than Conquest but it's still fun to read what units are the best and all. It's also fun to see how opinion changes between games for some characters. For example, I assume Silas is a lot more useful in BR because of the lack of bulk from most units in that game.

King Fost

Neo Member
Having done an all girls run, I can say that Beruka becomes a lot better there. Xander and Leo don't exist, so she has no competition for the Speedwings and can easily patch up her speed. She can also get Charlotte as a pair-up partner now so the differences between her and Wyvern Lord!Camilla after a certain point become trivial. She's also good as a Berserker or Hero if you prefer.

Malig Knight!Camilla is pretty legit too, it's not that hard to get her to a point where she can start ORKOing with tomes as long as you give her spirit dusts and a +Mag pair up (Odin is a good choice because he also gets you Ophelia). You can make a good case for Malig Knight > Wyvern Lord for Camilla because 1-2 range is such a huge asset.

PK Gaming

Shoot, I completely forgot about Benny. He's pretty bad; joins at the point in the game where Effie's a much better tank because she does a ton damage during EP, and you're not really hurting for defense at that point. He's also slow as molasses (so doubled forever) and he doesn't really pair off well with anyone. There's never really have a point where he shines either. He's okay during his join chapter, not really great in chapter 14 since his movement is atrocious, literally unusable in 15, and then unusable again because Xander shows up in chapter 16. Oops.

This is great stuff. Have you done a Birthright Lunatic run yet? I assumed it's a lot simple than Conquest but it's still fun to read what units are the best and all. It's also fun to see how opinion changes between games for some characters. For example, I assume Silas is a lot more useful in BR because of the lack of bulk from most units in that game.

Thanks. I haven't actually gone through BR Lunatic yet, but I definitely plan on making a list when I finish it. And yea, Silas is so much better in BR. Good durability in a route where everyone is made of paper, and pretty much everyone gives him Speed which is what he wants. Even comes with higher weapon ranks and a Javelin!

Malig Knight!Camilla is pretty legit too, it's not that hard to get her to a point where she can start ORKOing with tomes as long as you give her spirit dusts and a +Mag pair up (Odin is a good choice because he also gets you Ophelia). You can make a good case for Malig Knight > Wyvern Lord for Camilla because 1-2 range is such a huge asset.

Oh wow, I might do that on another run. Dark!Falco Odin gives Camilla +5 Magic, +3 Speed and +1 move, and Conquest literally floods you with Spirit dusts.

Benny feels like they were doing really well at balancing characters and then went like "Shit, another armor knight? How can we make two of them good?" and just gave up and made modern day Barth.

...he actually kind of looks like Barth, too.

GamerSoul

Having done an all girls run, I can say that Beruka becomes a lot better there. Xander and Leo don't exist, so she has no competition for the Speedwings and can easily patch up her speed. She can also get Charlotte as a pair-up partner now so the differences between her and Wyvern Lord!Camilla after a certain point become trivial. She's also good as a Berserker or Hero if you prefer.

If I play conquest again, my Beruka is probably going to be a Berserker in the end, after I get her Sol. She's one of my surprise favorite characters. Sort of like Oboro in Birthright. I started giving her speed wings toward the end so her speed was alright.

Draxal

Benny feels like they were doing really well at balancing characters and then went like "Shit, another armor knight? How can we make two of them good?" and just gave up and made modern day Barth.

He's really hurt by the no damage/no attack ai as well in Conquest.

I think the examples of good armors in the series shows you kind of have to show up early if you want to be useful at all. Oswin and Effie are both valuable because they have durability early on when your options are limited and you have to use what's there, and since that means not having your special team of mounted juggernauts then they become a lot more valuable.

I think if Effie had joined when Benny joins with adjusted bases she'd be way worse by virtue of having to keep pace with Camilla/Corrin/Silas instead of the early game where she can be useful and get ahead enough to get her horse.

King Fost

Neo Member
I think the examples of good armors in the series shows you kind of have to show up early if you want to be useful at all. Oswin and Effie are both valuable because they have durability early on when your options are limited and you have to use what's there, and since that means not having your special team of mounted juggernauts then they become a lot more valuable.

I think if Effie had joined when Benny joins with adjusted bases she'd be way worse by virtue of having to keep pace with Camilla/Corrin/Silas instead of the early game where she can be useful and get ahead enough to get her horse.

I mean, Effie also has an additional niche of sometimes being able to OHKO things with Javelins because her strength is stupid, but her speed is at the mercy of the RNG so getting use out of her outside of that later on is a coinflip.

Though tbh, I'd much rather just pair her up with Silas early on and hope he gets good levels. He can do a lot of lot Effie can in the early game only with more move. Vow of Friendship is a good skill as well if you use it properly too.

Lynx_7

You know, Xander was godly and all but using Ryoma almost feels like cheating. Dude is straight up broken. I'm almost entertaining the possibility of giving him all my boots and status boosters and just watch him solo the rest of the game.

Also, I never bothered with Benny on Conquest so what is it that supposedly makes him so horrible?

Azuran

Banned
You know, Xander was godly and all but using Ryoma almost feels like cheating. Dude is straight up broken. I'm almost entertaining the possibility of giving him all my boots and status boosters and just watch him solo the rest of the game.

Also, I never bothered with Benny on Conquest so what is it that supposedly makes him so horrible?

Too much defense. Yes that's actually a problem in Conquest because enemies won't attack if they don't deal at least one point of damage and that completely kills your enemy phase.

The biggest thing is that he has no special niche. As previously mentioned, you get Effie way earlier and by the point you get Benny, she should be good enough to do anything he can. Furthermore, you get Xander a couple of chapters later which means you're pretty much wasting valuable EXP by trying to use Benny when you already have two tanks that do everything better.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I think the 'Wary fighter' helps out Effie moreso than Benny, due to her STR growths.

There is the tossup of creating a chokepoint vs not wanting to have her take too much damage via killing things, but at least once you get her going, she's definitely going to be able to tank a physical hit and kill something in response.

Benny comes in far too late to be worthwhile (in Conquest) unless you're grinding via EXP dlc. Not to mention between Carmilla, Xander, Effie, and maybe Beruka, you have much better (and more mobile) 'tank' options for where you're at in the game.

but he has like 2000% more res growth than Barth :p

Shinypogs

When paired up with wyvernlord percy my effie had 41 defense. It was just low enough for some units to attack her and mages could do some real damage but you basically needed to hex her or hit her with a hammer and then mage strikes to kill her. Dragon gods bless my little pink tank even if this was supposed to be her son's time to shine and she took over the lategame. With an upgraded javelin or the venge naginata she owns enemy phase.

I'm look forward to seeing who becomes my reliable go to unit in awakening like effie has been in all my conquest runs and even as a good pairup buddy in revelations.

King Fost

Neo Member

Eh, I find Ryoma a lot more replaceable in Birthright. He's very good, don't get me wrong, but it's actually not that hard to get a unit to "destroys everything" status and good 1-2 range is not a lacking commodity. If you drop Ryoma, you can just sub in Saizo or Corrin or a magic focused Oni Chieftan/Basara and you won't see a significant change. Xander is a mounted tank with strong 1-2 range who can get to doubling status with smart resources. You can get as tanky as him, with as good movement as him, and with as good 1-2 range as him, but not all three on the same unit.

I think you could make a good case for Saizo > Ryoma actually. Dude's stupidly good and surprisingly underrated.

Eh, I find Ryoma a lot more replaceable in Birthright. He's very good, don't get me wrong, but it's actually not that hard to get a unit to "destroys everything" status and good 1-2 range is not a high commodity. If you drop Ryoma, you can just sub in Saizo or Corrin or a magic focused Oni Chieftan/Basara and you won't see a significant change. Xander is a mounted tank with strong 1-2 range who can get to doubling status with smart resources. You can get as tanky as him, with as good movement as him, and with as good 1-2 range as him, but not all three on the same unit.

I think you could make a good case for Saizo > Ryoma actually. Dude's stupidly good and surprisingly underrated.
Nah, Saizo has like 4 extra chapters on Ryoma, doesn't have his ceiling, and isn't near his strength at base. Saizo is discount Ryoma 100%. Ryoma becomes nigh unkillable because of dodging + vantage + astra + crits, I can't imagine Saizo having close to the level of ridiculousness that Ryoma pulls off, and Ryoma does it with zero investment.

I actually think that Kaze is better than Saizo, too, though, because with the right resources to mitigate his strength has no troubles with ORKO'ing enemies with better availability and can be much stronger than Saizo by the time Saizo joins. I can see the argument for Saizo but imo he's not even top 5 in Birthright.

King Fost

Neo Member
Nah, Saizo has like 4 extra chapters on Ryoma, doesn't have his ceiling, and isn't near his strength at base. Saizo is discount Ryoma 100%. Ryoma becomes nigh unkillable because of dodging + vantage + astra + crits, I can't imagine Saizo having close to the level of ridiculousness that Ryoma pulls off, and Ryoma does it with zero investment.

I actually think that Kaze is better than Saizo, too, though, because with the right resources to mitigate his strength has no troubles with ORKO'ing enemies with better availability and can be much stronger than Saizo by the time Saizo joins. I can see the argument for Saizo but imo he's not even top 5 in Birthright.

It's like 6 extra chapters over Ryoma, which is quite a big chunk of the game. Ryoma's offense is complete overkill; Saizo should have enough strength to ORKO consistently throughout the game and while his avoid is lower than Ryoma's, it's still pretty high and he has better concrete durability. Even from his join chapter, Saizo can ORKO everything on the map except the Samurai with a Steel Shuriken, speed tonic, and Hana pair up. He also has a few smattering advantages over Ryoma; he has thief utility, he has a support built up by the time Ryoma joins, and his class provides better pair up bonuses than Ryoma's. Saizo also makes a killer Dark Flier too, which is particularly notable since it's one of the best classes.

Kaze's alright, but to even keep him, you need to glue him to Corrin for awhile, which limits their flexibility and can sandbag two units. Kaze also has durability problems that Saizo never runs into; you really can't throw Kaze into a horde of enemies lategame like you can with either Saizo or Ryoma unless they're all mages. Tbh, he's not that much better than Kagero (who is underrated btw). Still a good unit though.

Shinypogs

So apparently the only way to get a nosferatu tome in birthright is to get 1350 battle points. Looks like it's my castle grinding time before my lunatic run as a witch. I also need to figure out who gets to be a dark flier and a dread fighter for that.

Speaking of free dlc classes and such I did the before awakening stuff prior to the last chapter of conquest and my god does chrom have no regard for his safety. Not since Shiro have I seen a unit so happy to run directly into combat with no regard for how many aggro ranges that puts him in or the skills the enemy Ai has. I kept everyone alive but that little blue haired bugger made it hard.

I probably shouldn't be going into awakening for the first time with lingering resentment for the stupidity of the protagonist but srsly his ai was trash. On the other hand I am already fond of over protective suspicious bodyguard man. He was competent and amusing.

It's like 6 extra chapters over Ryoma, which is quite a big chunk of the game. Ryoma's offense is complete overkill; Saizo should have enough strength to ORKO consistently throughout the game and while his avoid is lower than Ryoma's, it's still pretty high and he has better concrete durability. Even from his join chapter, Saizo can ORKO everything on the map except the Samurai with a Steel Shuriken, speed tonic, and Hana pair up. He also has a few smattering advantages over Ryoma; he has thief utility, he has a support built up by the time Ryoma joins, and his class provides better pair up bonuses than Ryoma's. Saizo also makes a killer Dark Flier too, which is particularly notable since it's one of the best classes.

Kaze's alright, but to even keep him, you need to glue him to Corrin for awhile, which limits their flexibility and can sandbag two units. Kaze also has durability problems that Saizo never runs into; you really can't throw Kaze into a horde of enemies lategame like you can with either Saizo or Ryoma unless they're all mages. Tbh, he's not that much better than Kagero (who is underrated btw). Still a good unit though.

Kaze exists for 7 chapters where Kagero does not, I really don't get people saying Kagero is close to or better than Kaze especially because she isn't really much bulkier at all.

PK Gaming

Saizo is extremely good, but he has shortcomings. His base speed and coinflip Speed growth is a concern, and the Steel Shuriken further lowers his sketchy Speed which means he needs constant Speed maintenance. I know he doesn't need much to double most of everything on BR, but it's a huge stretch to say that he surpasses Ryoma considering Ryoma is literally a 0 maintenance unit with high consistency.

I mean, why replace Ryoma when you can stomp the game with 2 (or more) 1-2 range Gods?

Benny has more resistance.

And his supports are more heartwarming than effie's.

Problem is she likely carried you hard in chapters 7-10 which makes one like her better and benny just doesn't have a similar time where he really shines.

rtTIF7Z.jpg

Zebetite

Banned
Kaze exists for 7 chapters where Kagero does not, I really don't get people saying Kagero is close to or better than Kaze especially because she isn't really much bulkier at all.

kaze's a nice well-rounded unit with a lot of speed and kagero is an ICBM with a wonky targeting computer dressed up in ninja's clothing. she'll hit str cap with several levels to spare but it'll come at the cost of her skill stat, which can't quite keep up with the other two.

all of the ninjas are good and people should just use the one(s) they want

Benny has more resistance.

And his supports are more heartwarming than effie's.

Problem is she likely carried you hard in chapters 7-10 which makes one like her better and benny just doesn't have a similar time where he really shines.

benny, in fact, is tied for the highest personal res growth in the game

How does Saizo have better durability when Ryoma has vantage + astra + super high crit

Corrin - Can't do everything by him/herself, but basically the best unit overall.
Camilla - Essential for early game and performs well throughout the rest of the game because of great stats and versatility.
Jakob - He will fall off hard, but he is great if you play as a female. Otherwise, he sucks. I'm not sure if he belongs here.
Azura - She is essential, I would put her immediately after Corrin. Camilla's amazing, but she's just another combat unit at the end of the day.
Xander - His sword is an invaluable asset to the team, and many of my map clearing strategies heavily relying on him. Xander's combat will became especially strong if you fix his Speed. His low Resistance is the one thing that stops him from being broken. Xander will need to reclass to Hero to avoid effective damage on some maps (Chapter 26, child paralogues), so you better get that Laslow/Charlotte/Selena support done.

Corrin is a powerful/flexible unit that can go Cavalier, Ninja, Wyvern Rider, or hold off on the Heart Seal for a bit and perform well in their base class. Unparalleled boss killing utility and you really need to lean on them in many chapters. Camilla is an extremely good unit that immediately proves her worth in her joining chapter. High mobility, excellent combat (the Dual Club gives her WT control) and a great personal ability make her into a staple unit. Paladin!Jakob absolutely demolishes the early game, still hangs on for a bit in the midgame, and ends up as Corrin's best pair up bot when his combat falls off due to his ridiculous personal ability. He's pretty much this game's Seth, lol. Azura's the refresher, and the best in the series at that. Xander dominates, but he's not as godlike as you think, since his contributions start at chapter 16, he faces WTD a lot and his effectiveness is muted in certain chapters (ie: chapter 19). That said, he's still an extremely powerful and reliable unit, with his top class tanking ability, ridiculous unpenalized 1-2 range and +Speed supports letting him double pretty much anything. If you're stuck, you can pretty much count on him to bail you out of anything. (ie: Killing Hans, or doubling that damn hexing rod maid in Chapter 26

High
Elise - Her auras, combat, and staves are extremely important.
Leo - Great stats overall, and is one of the few strong mages. He is very useful on my playthroughs.
Niles - Vital utility. He is extremely important on Lunatic. Low Strength growth on Lunatic still does not kill his usefulness.
Gunter - If you give him high movement and pair him up with Corrin, he can help you kill the final boss in one round with the Pass and Rescue strategy. Other than that one specific situation, he has no business being here in High Tier. I would still put him in Low tier with other filler units.
Felica - Her early game performance is really good. I always pair her up with Male Corrin in Chapter 10 for better damage and tanking. She or Jakob are also your sole staff users in Chapter 12, so they get points for that, too. Flame Shuriken gives her good combat for a brief period of time, but she eventually gets benched. She still deserves to be here for early game contributions.
Kaze - This guy is just irreplaceable on Conquest. I can't imagine playing this route without using him. Everything about him has been said.
Keaton - He performs well in combat and makes good fodder. His lack of two-range definitely doesn't kill him, but it's still a problem. On my first playthrough, he was high level and handled himself against lategame enemies. On this current playthrough, he is strictly fodder for Benny, Camilla, etc. Good unit, but not necessary at all. Move him to Upper Mid.

Elise's staff support is 2nd to none, and she joins extremely early. Freeze, Enfeeble, etc are consistently amazing throughout the game and her personal also happens to be one of the very best in the game, since it makes it so much easier for your tanks to operate. Leo is by far and away the best mage Conquest. His high magic, bulk, movement and unpenalized 1-2 range make him one of your best offensive units, and like Xander, his Speed issues can easily be fixed. Forged Lightning lets him kill pretty much anything before they can retaliate, and he also has WT control via the Calamity Gate. Finally, his overkill Res, good bulk and personal tome make him the best mage killer in the game (you'll want one in chapter 26, lol). Niles is the definition of clutch. He's got an excellent early game combat due to his high Speed and deceptively solid Strength growth. He also offers locktouch utility so you basically need to use him (or Kaze) if you want to make money. He really comes into his own when he promotes though, since he gets 9 move as a Bow Knight and can do so much with it (like ferry slower units, reach far away enemies and snipe him, etc.) He (and his daughter) also has natural access to Pass and trust me you're going to want to pick that up since Endgame basically necessitates it.

Felicia and Gunter are pretty much good for the same reasons. There's a brief period of time when their combat is passable, but for the most part they're just there to make Corrin even better. Felicia doesn't dominate in the early game like Jakob, but she has decent combat as a strategist, her pair up bonuses and personal are fantastic on a Mag!Corrin, and she's actually still a good unit when she joins second (unlike Jakob). Gunter's pair up bonuses (as a Wyvern Lord) are fantastic and his personal is especially handy for dealing with hard to hit enemies (i'm goddamn looking at you Kotaro) since +15% hit makes a big difference He's also pretty much the only character that lets Corrin make use out of Nohrian Trust on Conquest. Kaze's basically good for the same reasons as Niles. Locktouch utility + supporting combat is good. He's your only natural Ninja and his mage killing is also very good (though his lowish health means he can be overtaken by several mages). Pair up bonuses are great and his personal ability can literally prevent a unit from dying. Keaton's a baller. Solid bases and the ability to do damage, but his speed is iffy and his growth is a coin flip. If he turns out poorly, he's unquestionably Camilla's best pair up option (and the resulting Velouria is a super unit).

Mid
Selena - Currently promoted as a Hero. I am not liking her damage output at all. Her bulk and speed are respectable, but she is kind of too balanced. I'll still use her, since I know that she can hit necessary stat benchmarks with the proper tonics and pair up bonuses. Shigure will be my Falcon Knight unit as usual. My plan is to marry her to Xander, so that Xander gets all of the excellent Bow Knight and Hero skills.
Effie - She is your tank for the early chapters, and can remain viable all the way to end. A solid unit who can still contribute in addition to the overpowered royal siblings. Not essential, but most people will choose to use her as their armored unit.
Silas - Strong combat and good movement is important in the beginning. He will be good most of the time, but can occasionally get screwed.
Arthur - I used him on my first Lunatic playthrough. Performed way better than I expected. He does have excellent growths, but he won't be so blessed on Lunatic. His Speed and Defense definitely got nerfed on this difficulty. He still had good combat, though. His personal skill and Rally Strength utility was useful. He always gets excellent HP, Strength and Skill, so he redeems himself after his initially shaky hit rates.
Beruka - Still haven't used her. I like the tanky stats.
Peri - Currently promoted as Great Knight, but I will immediately switch her to Paladin after she learns Luna. I'm liking her so far. Her bulk is not amazing, but she isn't getting one shotted either. She's been getting lots of Speed and Strength, so I think she will continue to be useful. She is good.

Selena is swordlocked and has mediocre combat, but she's incredibly flexible. She can go Bow Knight and do okay in that, she can function as your only Falcoknight (ie: High move, Rally Speed and staff utility), and is one of the only speed boosting pair up units. Her combat will drop off hard, but unlike the rest of mid tier you can still justify using her. I find Effie to be overrated, but her earlygame tanking utility cannot be ignored (especially if you're using Male Corrin since you don't get Jakob) and her pair up bonuses are really useful. Promoting her early is ideal since her combat will drop off hard, and there's a brief period of time where her combat will be incredible. (Seriously her Javelin use is a thing of beauty). Silas is good, but so much worse on Conquest. He's a mounted unit, but his Speed is incredibly shaky, and if he gets Speed screwed he's done for. Conquest is incredibly light on speed pair ups as well, and he comes with E-rank lances to add insult to injury. That said, he's pretty helpful when he's relevant and like most male units he can pass on the torch to Sophie when he falls out of use. Arthur is seriously underrated as a unit. His luck is abysmal, but it doesn't matter when his primary use is to finish off/weaken enemies with Attack Stance or Hand Axe, and he actually has the bulk to take hits during the enemy phase (especially when he gets Sol). His growths are disgustingly good and axes are the best weapon type on Conquest. When his combat falls of he can pass to torch to Percy (who is one of the best units in the game).

Beruka's Camilla 0.5, but that isn't a bad thing considering how good Camilla is. She suffers from slow Speed and middling power, so her combat won't last forever, but she's good when she's relevant and she still has Wyvern utility. Peri's a pretty solid unit but has the unfortunate distinction of joining near the end of the earlygame and has somewhat low defense. That said, her offensive growths are great, she only needs a small boost to get going which comes in the form of her best pair up option (Laslow) and her personal is pretty cool. Contrary to popular belief, her issue isn't that she competes with Silas or Xander, but rather that it's difficult to make room for her.

My personal experience:

I would move Selena to the lower part of this tier.
Peri and Arthur would switch places, and Keaton would be between Effie and Silas.

Low
Laslow - Still haven't used him, though that Speed and Defense might put him in trouble. He will need those stats to be fixed with supports/resources.
Izana - Useful filler unit. He can use staves, and Rally Magic + Luck will make a difference. But I can agree that is combat and durability is absolutely low tier.
Shura - I've never actually leveled him up before, but he great class options. He will be stronger than Niles when he joins, and can probably be a solid replacement if you don't want to use Niles or his kid. I think that he could be moved to Upper Mid Tier.
Flora - I like her. That staff rank is very useful, and makes a good wife for male Corrin. She won't be doing much in battle, though.

Laslow is the picture of a mediocre unit. He joins lateish like Peri but has little to make up for it, and he's swordlocked at that. No real reason to use him, and Soleil isn't that great either of a unit either. Izana's actually an amazing mage with a good staff rank, he just joins extremely late. One of the best filler units for sure. Shura's a decent unit. Make as many boots jokes as you like, but his bases are great for his class and even has a decent staff rank to start out. That said, his growths are poor and you rarely have room for him. He's a great filler unit though. Flora's yet another lategame filler unit, but her saving grace is that she starts at B-rank staff. Elise reaaaaaaally makes her redundant though.

Bottom
Odin* - Lunatic growths hate this guy. I've tried using him on this difficulty, and it just can't work. He will never be useful in combat because of his stats. Reclassing still won't save him.
Charlotte* - Significantly worse accuracy and bulk than Arthur. Charlotte can obviously contribute during attack stance, but she will need a lot of support and resources invested just to make her decent. It's also annoying that she is underleveled when she joins. At least Laslow, Peri, and Benny had the decency to join at the same level as your main team.
Nyx* - Currently a Sorcerer, and I will reclass to Dark Knight after she learns Vengeance. Nyx has been struggling badly. Her Magic and Speed growths continue to be good in Lunatic, but she hasn't been making useful contributions because of her massive deficiencies elsewhere. The developers couldn't even give her high Resistance. Like Charlotte, she needs a lot of resources to be decent. The last few chapters I've done haven't been kind to magic users either, so she has been falling behind. I'm still going to use her just to make this playthrough different. It isn't completely hopeless for her, because Magic will be useful again in Chapter 21 and 22.
Benny - Currently a General. I'm satisfied with Benny's performance. It is disappointing that he can't OHKO like Effie, but his HP, Defense, and Resistance are still very appreciated. Because I am not using Effie this time, he had the honor of being Chapter 19's MVP. I obviously had to use everyone for the first few waves, but I just let him clean up the left side of the map with the Beast Killer. No one else was up to the task, because I don't want to waste a scroll to improve Camilla's Lance rank and she already has too much EXP anyway. Benny's inferior to Effie, but he's not awful either.
Mozu - Her paralogue is only way to get her easy EXP, but she is a surprisingly useful Archer in Chapter 10. I understand your issues with her lack of enemy phase, but she can get very reliable player phase kills unlike some other units placed in this tier. To me, that definitely counts for something. I would not use her again because of the babying, but at least she didn't completely suck when I used her.

Odin, Charlotte, Nyx and Mozu are basically unusable without extreme favoritism. Odin is only notable for Ophelia's paralogue, and Ophelia herself is pretty good. Charlotte arguably has the best pair up bonuses in the game, giving her Husband a whopping +8 Strength/ +5 Speed (and even her friends get a solid 7/4 Speed so she's good with pretty much any physical unit) and is honestly a mid or even high tier character with that factored in. Nyx is a lesser version of Charlotte, since she gives her husbando +3 Magic /+6 Speed, but only Leo really wants her. He's pretty bad; joins at the point in the game where Effie's a much better tank because she does a ton damage during EP, and you're not really hurting for defense at that point. He's also slow as molasses (so doubled forever) and he doesn't really pair off well with anyone. There's never really have a point where he shines either. He's okay during his join chapter, not really great in chapter 14 since his movement is atrocious, literally unusable in 15, and then outclassed forever because Xander shows up in chapter 16. Mozu requires a heap ton of EXP (that can be used on other, better characters) in order to turn into a decent Sniper, but why do you need Sniper on Conquest when having an actual EP is just as, if not more important than a PP?

This is how I would rearrange bottom tier:
Benny (I would probably move him to Low. Generals are great in this game, and are only penalized on Chapter 21.)
Mozu
Charlotte
Nyx
Odin

In my experience, Odin is the only unit who is truly unusable.

It's impossible to use every character on one playthrough, so this tier list doesn't seem fully fleshed out to me. I have thoroughly used several units in this game, and I agree with many of your reasonings. I have included my thoughts in bold.

On my second Lunatic playthrough, I am using Selena, Benny, Nyx, and Peri for the first time ever. My preliminary thoughts on them are also written in bold.

This means that Beruka and Laslow are the only units that I have not attempted to seriously use on any playthrough yet.

KSai

I beat Conquest 18 on Lunatic tonight. After recruiting Soleil and Nina I really didn't feel like making anymore progress in the story. Those two are a fun pair, and I finally bought an Armorslayer to win the map. Meanwhile, some random visit person sent me an accessory. I wonder if they'll bother to do it again.

Dee Dee

I probably shouldn't be going into awakening for the first time with lingering resentment for the stupidity of the protagonist but srsly his ai was trash. On the other hand I am already fond of over protective suspicious bodyguard man. He was competent and amusing.

Please tell me this is Frederick. He's your early game tank in Awakening and has this unhealthy Chrom obsession (as do most people in Awakening). He's the awesomest.

I don't know why, as a European, I keep opening this thread. I just want the game (and apparently ALL the DLC) now!

Shinypogs

Please tell me this is Frederick. He's your early game tank in Awakening and has this unhealthy Chrom obsession (as do most people in Awakening). He's the awesomest.

I don't know why, as a European, I keep opening this thread. I just want the game (and apparently ALL the DLC) now!

Yeah Frederick, the little he says in the dlc makes him into such a loveable jerkface. I'm gonna start awakening today while I work through all the dampened my castle stuff I have to do before lunatic birthright.

You are a strong European and soon you will be rewarded.

PK Gaming

It's impossible to use every character on one playthrough, so this tier list doesn't seem fully fleshed out to me. I have thoroughly used several units in this game, and I agree with many of your reasonings. I have included my thoughts in bold.

On my second Lunatic playthrough, I am using Selena, Benny, Nyx, and Peri for the first time ever. My preliminary thoughts on them are also written in bold.

This means that Beruka and Laslow are the only units that I have not attempted to seriously use on any playthrough yet.

You don't exactly need to use a character to judge their worth since there's basic criteria you can use to determine how good they are.

I appreciate your feedback, though a few things:

-Gunter is definitely high tier. Like Felicia, his combat is good for a while, but when it drops off he can still Rally Defense, ferry people around, pair up, etc. And his personal is extremely good on Corrin against throne high evasion enemies.

-I could see Keaton moving down to Upper Mid, though Velouria is really good and his support bonuses are also amazing. He also has a chance of being a solid combat unit himself.

-I'll concede that once you give Mozu that start, she never really falls off as a unit, but man being bow locked is just... eh. She's probably better than Charlotte and Nyx, i'll concede that.

-I don't doubt that Benny can perform okay if you give him the chance, but there's just no real reason to use him. And Generals are better than before, but still mediocre as units since their low move is the worst and there are far better tanks.

Definitely going to go through Lunatic Conquest again and give some more units a chance though.

Shinypogs

Hmm has anyone tried making their MU their primary healer/ post promotion magic nuker ? I know the various routes give you fine default staff bots but it'd be sort of neat to be the team healer. I always have preffered that role though I imagine you can only get away with it on lower difficulties.

woopWOOP

As the EU release slowly creeps closer I decided to look up stat calculations for classes and children and whatnot. Even tho I couldn't figure it out I ended up on some Fates wiki and... hold up!

Fates let's you capture and use certain enemy boss units??

I didn't know, that's so cool! As expected, like past games, most of them look way cooler than any of the regular cast. I don't care if they don't have support bonuses, I'm totally gonna try and get a bunch of them active and properly leveld in my first playthrough.

L95

As the EU release slowly creeps closer I decided to look up stat calculations for classes and children and whatnot. Even tho I couldn't figure it out I ended up on some Fates wiki and... hold up!

I didn't know, that's so cool! As expected, like past games, most of them look way cooler than any of the regular cast. I don't care if they don't have support bonuses, I'm totally gonna try and get a bunch of them active and properly leveld in my first playthrough.

Some bosses and most generics can be captured and recruited, yeah.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I think most of them are the paralogue bosses. Only a couple of the main chapter bosses in Conquest can be captured. I assume Birthright is similar.

KSai

I think there's just one boss in Birthright to capture in the story. I didn't even know I could capture her until I looked it up. I captured Zhara and the store isn't selling any more Master Seals damn it. Countermagic is such a cool skill.

NeonZ

I actually used three bosses in my final Conquest team, although one of them only to deploy a full team in the final chapter.

Haitaka looks cool with his custom colors, fitting right alongside Nohr troops due to the black clothing... but then he only has generic colors after promotion.
Haitaka_03_zpsqxhrqpfe.jpg
Haitaka_04_zps3du2oe7f.jpg

He's actually very useful in chapter 10 if you bother getting him in the previous one.

And the other two Kumagera and Gazak (this last one is a paralogue boss, the one that I only bothered using for the final chapters)
Kumagera_03_zpsrn1nzkqf.jpg
Gazak_01_zpsgmsf9oej.jpg

I think most of them are the paralogue bosses. Only a couple of the main chapter bosses in Conquest can be captured. I assume Birthright is similar.

2 unique main story bosses can be captured in Conquest's story chapters (Haitaka and Kumagera), alongside two generic Generals that don't even have portraits but are considered bosses. There's one unique boss in Birthright. All the others are in the children paralogues. Revelations has no capturable bosses outside of paralogues.

Top Bottom