• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces Geforce GTX 10 Series - GTX1080 - $599 - May 27th, GTX1070 = $379

Excited to see benches in a week.

My VR performance coming from SLI 970s (so 1 970 really), should theoretically more than quadruple.

That said, I really hope the 1080 improves 4K performance. Since my 970's already best a Titan X.

If anything the 8gb should prevent me from hitting that particular bottleneck at 4K in certain games.

not even close lol. youre really drinking that kool aid. nvidias VR performance claim is based off of the speed of rendering a ridiculously high poly model where the gpu is vs/gs bound. thats going to happen in an actual game pretty much never.

Jimrpg

There's no difference between Nvidias Founder card and EVGAs, Gigabyte etc Founder cards.

What I got from that video is that Founder = reference. Nvidia just chose to name it that way.
The other manufacturers, as usual, will introduce upgrades in the form of OC, less noisy disipation system, etc..

Ah yeah right. This is a really bizarro situation that the other manufacturers can make reference cards($699) and custom cards ($599). Will the custom cards be gimped or will they have better performance? So weird.

dr_rus

Ah yeah right. This is a really bizarro situation that the other manufacturers can make reference cards($699) and custom cards ($599). Will the custom cards be gimped or will they have better performance? So weird.

They'll have the same performance on the same clock speeds.

Irobot82

I'm still willing to bet those reference designs will be the only models available for the first few months. It just doesn't make much sense otherwise.

Momentary

Banned
Yeah... I'm going to wait until after our house is built and we're moved in around October. Hopefully the Ti or Titan will be out and about.

Saty

furyx.jpg

1080.jpg

http://gamegpu.com/железные-новости...eon-r9-fury-x-v-igre-ashes-of-the-singularity

So, I've been considering trading my 970 for a 1080, but since I am not a tech-savvy guy I am worried that my CPU may bottleneck the GPU. I own a I7 4790 (non-K), should I upgrade to a K version and OC it?

Also, kinda lost with the Founder edition... Does that mean that there will be no way to get one 1080 at €599 because they will be €699? (I know Euro prices are not available yet, but I think you get my point) I really don't care about them having better clock/temps than stock, because I never OC my GPUs.

Thanks a lot for the answers @Hasney and @Genio88!

Genio88

So, I've been considering trading my 970 for a 1080, but since I am not a tech-savvy guy I am worried that my CPU may bottleneck the GPU. I own a I7 4790 (non-K), should I upgrade to a K version and OC it?

Also, kinda lost with the Founder edition... Does that mean that there will be no way to get one 1080 at €599 because they will be €699? (I know Euro prices are not available yet, but I think you get my point) I really don't care about them having better clock/temps than stock, because I never OC my GPUs.

I think you won't be CPU limited at all, the i7 4790 is actually a higher clocked i7 4770K( which is the one i've), so it's like if you had a i7 4770K overclocked to 4ghz

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Guess outputting to a csv via presentmon or afterburner, then generating a graph from that in excel would be the most straightforward approach.

NV's FCAT is the best overall solution, AB monitor logging is the most accessible one though.

Cheers guys. The AB monitor of frametimes spat out some fun results when comparing The Witcher 3 to Battlefront :p

1kpoz6.jpg

Hasney

They will be available at 599 once the manufacturers do their own, looking like that will start in June. You'll just have to wait.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Witcher 3 engine is a mess tbh

stutterfest I had to lock fps to 30 to get it to stop repeating frames

To be fair if I use standard Ultra settings it runs pretty smoothly. I've got shadow and asset rendering distance cranked beyond normal max and I'm pretty sure that's causing the engine to choke.

What's your hardware?

b0bbyJ03

Came for some opinions and advice. I'm in the middle of closing on a house so the 1080 is not an option but I do currently have a 980. Would it be worth selling for picking up the 1070? Does the 1070 have 8 GB of RAM as well. I haven't been able to keep up with the news or specs. Thanks.

Sulik2

So basically Nvidia is using clever marketing terms to be able sell their cards over MSRP for the early adopters who are willing to overpay? That is kind of brilliant in a shady giant corporation kind of way.

Cheers guys. The AB monitor of frametimes spat out some fun results when comparing The Witcher 3 to Battlefront :p

1kpoz6.jpg

To be fair if I use standard Ultra settings it runs pretty smoothly. I've got shadow and asset rendering distance cranked beyond normal max and I'm pretty sure that's causing the engine to choke.

What's your hardware?
I really wish I could have TW3 cache as much shit in VRAM and RAM as possible. It is not using nearly enough :(

What's your hardware?

Gtx 970 and i5 4690k (4.4ghz)

Witcher 3 doesn't like gtx 970s I think, even in durante's alchemy of something whatever vsync article he was getting terrible frametime inconsistency (also on a 970)

Vuze

Came for some opinions and advice. I'm in the middle of closing on a house so the 1080 is not an option but I do currently have a 980. Would it be worth selling for picking up the 1070? Does the 1070 have 8 GB of RAM as well. I haven't been able to keep up with the news or specs. Thanks.
Wait for the benchmarks before anything; however I don't think the 1070 reviews will be released on the 17th since I have only seen reviewers stating they got 2x 1080s. So it might be a while. But yes, 1070 is confirmed to have 8GB of DDR5.

EatChildren

Did you disable Vsync for these captures? That Battlefront data looks like a typical Vsync pattern to me.

Unlocked framerate + gsync. Those spikes are just pre-match loading. Everything in between is a match itself.

I really wish I could have TW3 cache as much shit in VRAM and RAM as possible. It is not using nearly enough :(

Yeah, looking at the numbers there seems to be a surprisingly large VRAM/RAM/CPU headroom. The 980 Ti is getting worked, but I feel overall hardware utilisation could be better.

The engine definitely chokes when pushing beyond max though, like I am. I notice it particularly when it seems to shit itself streaming in foliage and NPC data that's beyond the typical ultra settings. Seems CDPR just couldn't/didn't get the engine working well at that level.

I've got a 6700K and DDR4 in the mail, so we'll see if there's any frametime improvement over my 2600K and DDR3. Doubt it, but *shrug*

Gtx 970 and i5 4690k (4.4ghz)

Witcher 3 doesn't like gtx 970s I think, even in durante's alchemy of something whatever vsync article he was getting terrible frametime inconsistency (also on a 970)

I remember a lot of 970 owners at launch having a bunch of problems. My data is based on a 980 Ti.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Wait until real benchmarks come out before deciding, but the answer is probably going to be

NO.

If you've got money to blow to upgrade every year, that's great, but do what I do and upgrade every other generation.

Although since I've been broke the last few years I'm still stuck with a 670 that holds up reasonably well.

b0bbyJ03

Wait until real benchmarks come out before deciding, but the answer is probably going to be

NO.

If you've got money to blow to upgrade every year, that's great, but do what I do and upgrade every other generation.

Although since I've been broke the last few years I'm still stuck with a 670 that holds up reasonably well.

Thanks, I just got a G Sync monitor (which i wont be able to try out until i move into the new house) so that will hopefully hold me over. Do you still get decent resale value if you wait every other gen?

Momentary

Banned
After watching that video. What's another 9 months of wait? Right guys? I've been waiting since 2012 to build. I want a die shrink + a new memory standard. If I bite now, I'll just end up disappointed. I've got a 980m to tide me over.

Yes I'm trying to talk myself out of buying this card even though I just bought some custom sleeved cables yesterday for no reason.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Thanks, I just got a G Sync monitor (which i wont be able to try out until i move into the new house) so that will hopefully hold me over. Do you still get decent resale value if you wait every other gen?
I could probably get about $100 on eBay for my 670.

If it's a card with SLI capability it will hold some value a little longer than it has any right to.

hesho

so... will there be ANY card that is sold for 599?

Same with the 1070. Will there be any for 379 when manufacturers knows ppl will spend extra on the "founders" edition or any custom cooler solutions?

Tadie

how screwed am i with a 3570K with these new cards? Am i CPU limited? I dont really want to replace my mobo yet

Mhhh I have the same CPU and maybe I want to buy the GTX 1070.

Should I upgrade my CPU to i7-3770?

My Mobo doesn't support overclocking and I don't want to change it.... :/

It's come out recently where the chips are no different to the other chips. There's no extra OC or special binning, it's just the ones out earlier.

Potentially out earlier....
Saying it like it's official causes more of these posters who aren't following the news to flip out. It has already been stated that they are trying to get them out at launch. Just because you see the Founders Edition listed on EVGA doesn't mean it the only cards they'll have ready, it's the only card that's been announced. We are needlessly making this whole thing negative before we have any information.

At this point we know that Gigabyte has something better in "June", which is 4 whole days after launch. Yes it could be June 31st but we don't know yet. Ease up on the negativity and quit making statements that are based on it seem like fact to posters looking for actual information.

laxu

how screwed am i with a 3570K with these new cards? Am i CPU limited? I dont really want to replace my mobo yet

I have a 980 Ti and recently moved from a 3570K @ 4.5 GHz to 6600K @ 4.7 GHz. In most games I've played there wasn't much difference but in GTA V I got a better framerate, enough to make 4K resolutions a playable solid 30 fps whereas before it was dropping under enough to be noticeable. In the 1440p resolution I normally use it's maybe a bit smoother but the framerate was pretty high anyway.

So in short you should be fine provided you have a good overclock on your 3570K in everything but very CPU-bound games.

gcubed

I have a 980 Ti and recently moved from a 3570K @ 4.5 GHz to 6600K @ 4.7 GHz. In most games I've played there wasn't much difference but in GTA V I got a better framerate, enough to make 4K resolutions a playable solid 30 fps whereas before it was dropping under enough to be noticeable. In the 1440p resolution I normally use it's maybe a bit smoother but the framerate was pretty high anyway.

So in short you should be fine provided you have a good overclock on your 3570K in everything but very CPU-bound games.

i'm at 4 but am generally just aiming for 1440p. Shit, i'm upgrading this from a 7790 so its all going to be amazing

Man, this is my first time actually tracking a new card release. It's depressing to think that they release June 10th, but I might be able to get a non "founders" edition until August. Is this price gouging founders edition crap normal? I understand low availability and retail mark ups, but I don't think I've ever seen anything like this.

Edit: I guess some are saying there might be regular cards available. Founder's edition mark up is a mystery for me atm.

Onemic

Man, this is my first time actually tracking a new card release. It's depressing to think that they release June 10th, but I might be able to get a non "founders" edition until August. Is this price gouging founders edition crap normal? I understand low availability and retail mark ups, but I don't think I've ever seen anything like this.

Edit: I guess some are saying there might be regular cards available. Founder's edition mark up is a mystery for me atm.

From what EvGA has said at least it seems like comapnies will introduce their own Founders Edition cards at launch and they'll be priced exactly the same.

Who knows when the 'regular' versions will be available. Im thinking a month after launch at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ0AoYSH01g

Watch the videos that have been posted. It sounds far less nefarious when you hear what the actual plan is. Yes it is possible that the "Founders Edition" is the only one that may be available on the 27th. It is yet to be seen how these manufacturers will take advantage of the extra $100 price space, but I'd find it hard to believe if there wasn't something that came in at that price point. The news will start to trickle out as to who is doing what when over the next couple of days/weeks. I am sure by the 17th, we'll have all the benchmarks and everyone will be informed on what cards are releasing and when.

Just hold tight. That's all we can do right now.

From what EvGA has said at least it seems like comapnies will introduce their own Founders Edition cards at launch and they'll be priced exactly the same.

Who knows when the 'regular' versions will be available. Im thinking a month after launch at this point.

Where did you see that? Are you just referring to the product listed on their page?

Watch the videos that have been posted. It sounds far less nefarious when you hear what the actual plan is. Yes it is possible that the "Founders Edition" is the only one that may be available on the 27th. It is yet to be seen how these manufacturers will take advantage of the extra $100 price space, but I'd find it hard to believe if there wasn't something that came in at that price point. The news will start to trickle out as to who is doing what when over the next couple of days/weeks. I am sure by the 17th, we'll have all the benchmarks and everyone will be informed on what cards are releasing and when.

Just hold tight. That's all we can do right now.

Yeah, just being a reference design doesn't make sense at all. The two pricing tiers have to be coming from Nvidia though. The manufaturers wouldn't collude to make a regular card and a more expensive one all at the same price point. I doubt manufacturers have any say in how that extra $100 is used. That's an Nvidia mark up.

The lack of information leads to all these assumptions. I

Onemic

Where did you see that? Are you just referring to the product listed on their page?

Ya. Also from what the tech press has said it seems other companies will follow suit. There's currently no indication that any non-founders edition cards will release at launch.

Yeah, just being a reference design doesn't make sense at all. The two pricing tiers have to be coming from Nvidia though. The manufaturers wouldn't collude to make a regular card and a more expensive one all at the same price point. I doubt manufacturers have any say in how that extra $100 is used. That's an Nvidia mark up.

The lack of information leads to all these assumptions. I

They are coming from Nvidia, but they aren't the ones manufacturing the 599 card. It's basically a MAP price. They haven't come out and said that, but that's kinda what it is. Basically it means that Nvidia is allowing companies to sell "their"(as in not the reference) GPU as low as 599. When Apple Laptops come out, they don't allow retailers to sell them for whatever they want. Best Buy can't list it as a doorbuster for $100. There is an MSRP, which is suggested retail and a MAP price, which is as low as they're allowed to advertise it. It seems like this is what Nvidia is doing. They think "their"(Founders Edition) card is worth $699, so that's where they are selling it. If their partners want to have their own design, and sell it for $599, great. That's on the manufacturer to cut costs and sell it for $599.

Now if it comes out that Nvidia is charging their partners to the point that it's financially impossible to release a card at $599, then we can grab the pitchforks. Nvidia believes that their "Founders Card" is worth $699. Not because it could possibly be the only card on the market, but that's what they think it is worth. Now the partners can have their AC+ Kingpin edition, or whatever, at $750, $799, or 599 or whatever they want to price it at. They also have the option to come out and throw a cheap fan on it and sell it for $599.

It's not likely you will see one of those wizzbang OC+ mega superclock cards coming out at $599. Their partners will release them based on the standard that Nvidia has set at $699 (so they'll be better....more expensive).

Also, in one of JaytwoCentz videos he says that he has reviews coming soon from all the board partners. So take from that what you will, they could all be "Founders Cards" or something else, but it seems like he has them currently.

How long does down the line mean?

No one knows. Period. That's it. Gigabyte is teasing something in "June". Could be four days after launch, could be 35 days after launch. EVGA hasn't released plans yet. They could release at launch, could not. No one knows.

fred

Unlocked framerate + gsync. Those spikes are just pre-match loading. Everything in between is a match itself.

Yeah, looking at the numbers there seems to be a surprisingly large VRAM/RAM/CPU headroom. The 980 Ti is getting worked, but I feel overall hardware utilisation could be better.

The engine definitely chokes when pushing beyond max though, like I am. I notice it particularly when it seems to shit itself streaming in foliage and NPC data that's beyond the typical ultra settings. Seems CDPR just couldn't/didn't get the engine working well at that level.

I've got a 6700K and DDR4 in the mail, so we'll see if there's any frametime improvement over my 2600K and DDR3. Doubt it, but *shrug*

I remember a lot of 970 owners at launch having a bunch of problems. My data is based on a 980 Ti.

You'll love your 6700K when you get it. I've had one since November and they overclock pretty well. Got mine at 4.7 stable. :eek:D

kaskade

I'm going to be sad if I return my 970 and have to wait until like july to get a non founders 1070. That's a long time without my vive. Hopefully EVGA puts out a non founders card quick.

They are coming from Nvidia, but they aren't the ones manufacturing the 599 card. It's basically a MAP price. They haven't come out and said that, but that's kinda what it is. Basically it means that Nvidia is allowing companies to sell "their"(as in not the reference) GPU as low as 599. When Apple Laptops come out, they don't allow retailers to sell them for whatever they want. Best Buy can't list it as a doorbuster for $100. There is an MSRP, which is suggested retail and a MAP price, which is as low as they're allowed to advertise it. It seems like this is what Nvidia is doing. They think "their"(Founders Edition) card is worth $699, so that's where they are selling it. If their partners want to have their own design, and sell it for $599, great. That's on the manufacturer to cut costs and sell it for $599.

Now if it comes out that Nvidia is charging their partners to the point that it's financially impossible to release a card at $599, then we can grab the pitchforks. Nvidia believes that their "Founders Card" is worth $699. Not because it could possibly be the only card on the market, but that's what they think it is worth. Now the partners can have their AC+ Kingpin edition, or whatever, at $750, $799, or 599 or whatever they want to price it at. They also have the option to come out and throw a cheap fan on it and sell it for $599.

It's not likely you will see one of those wizzbang OC+ mega superclock cards coming out at $599. Their partners will release them based on the standard that Nvidia has set at $699 (so they'll be better....more expensive).

Also, in one of JaytwoCentz videos he says that he has reviews coming soon from all the board partners. So take from that what you will, they could all be "Founders Cards" or something else, but it seems like he has them currently.

Interesting. This is why some prices can only be seen in the shopping cart online as well isn't it?

Top Bottom