• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War 3 spoilerepicrific thread of discussion

Linkzg said:
Kratos had another brother that wanted revenge on him or something. It was in GoW1 where they also mentioned Zeus was Kratos' father, and that turned out to be true, so maybe if there is a sequel it will deal with his brother.
Also, in the realm of Hades there was a note that seemed as if it was written by his brother. It talked about being stuck down there while Kratos became a God, and begging Hades to let him have his revenge.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
george_us said:
Loved it personally even though I thought the ending was weak and some of the logic was a bit strange. Like why the fuck is Kratos looking for Pandoras box when he's more than capable of snapping a god's neck with his bare hands (oh hey Hera!) or taking on Titans. I also thought the puzzles weren't as inventive as they were in God of War II but they were still amazing. Combat was amazing though.
Ya I found the puzzles in this game much easier than the previous 2.

While the God battles were nice, I would have like 1 or 2 more creature-type bosses like the scorpion. Was a nice change of things.

Also, in the realm of Hades there was a note that seemed as if it was written by his brother. It talked about being stuck down there while Kratos became a God, and begging Hades to let him have his revenge.
Could be, I figured it was just the boat captain from 1 that appeared in 2 as well

Magnus

Did anyone else shit a brick and laugh their ass off at the Hermes execution?

After that insipid, insulting little fuck kept blathering on for a whole minute, I actually just yelled at my screen, "Rip his fucking legs off and steal his shoes". Two seconds later, I began to actually believe in the joke I made, and realized that Kratos may actually be doing that at the end of the scene. Moments later, I saw that look in his eyes, and knew it was about to happen.

So, fucking, awesome! :lol :lol

I was hollering and laughing my ass off at my TV like an idiot.

On the topic of puzzles, I don't recall any actual worthy puzzles in this game aside from the one that leads up to the acquisition of Apollo's Bow, and of course, Hera's Rooftop Gardens. The rest were all basically pushing blocks around, right? I mean, I was kind of grateful for that. Didn't want a shit ton of contrived switch/puzzle garbage breaking up my chaotic rampage. Having one concentrated puzzle sequence free of combat was actually the best way to go (the rooftop gardens) and I was very pleased with that.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Ending was so WTF I don't think it wraps anything up and I think the entire plot and characterization of the game was the worst we've seen since God of War 1.

Why the hell doesn't Athena just come back to life since she's buddies with Hades? Why doesn't Hades just resurrect his own dead wife? Why does Athena just decide to have a change of heart and go "You're right! Let's kill Zeus"? What happens after Kratos dies? Does Aphrodite just have lesbian sex on the top of Mt. Olympus for the rest of eternity?

So fear entered Zeus when Kratos opened Pandora's Box, but Kratos got hope. Why the hell did he get hope? Pandora's Box is full of evils and an incredible power, not "goodie goodie" feelings. And why did Athena respond to Zeus locking away the evils with "Hey, I'm going to put an awesome power in that box"?

Why does it take until the end of the game for Kratos to realize that he's destroying the fucking earth by killing the gods?

Why does he kill himself? Nobody had to fucking die and he decides to kill himself? Why was Athena pissed that he killed himself? "You ruined it" or something like that.

What is Athena trying to say? Is she the real Pandora or something? What does she mean "my power" and all that shit?

Why the hell is Helios such a wasted boss opportunity?

What the hell happens when Kratos dies? Does "Hope" get spread around the dead, lifeless earth and it regenerates or something?

How does Gaia survive but the other Titans die when they fall off a giant mountain?

How can Kratos finally show some human emotion in the third game, yet it's towards a stupid, false girl who happens to be an embodiment of a key for the box? She's not even real. And why, with all that new emotion coming into play, does he still INSIST on killing every fucking thing? Olympus wasn't even going after him. They didn't even attack him. HE decides to climb up there and knock the shit out of everything. Zeus even gives him further chances to just back off and cool it, and he destroys the earth around him in his vengeance.

Then at the end of the game, in a sort of matter-of-fact attitude, he's like "look. everything's dead lol" yeah no shit you killed everything. Was that worth it?

I'm guessing Kratos having the power of Pandora inside him since the first game is what has allowed him to kill all the gods? Why can the Titans kill the gods? They don't have that power.

It can't be asked enough. Why the fuck does Kratos show sympathy to a stupid fake girl when he's killed women and men all the time without blinking an eye? Hell he didn't even care about Pandora in the beginning.

He only needed her to open the box! And then he's like "NOOOOOOO! I DON'T EVEN KNOW OR CARE ABOUT YOU BUT DON'T BE THE KEY TO OPEN THE BOX! DON'T SUBMIT YOURSELF TO YOUR PURPOSE EVEN THOUGH YOU ARE FAKE AND THE WHOLE REASON I CLIMBED UP THIS FUCKING MOUNTAIN WAS TO USE YOU AND NOW I'M GOING TO MORONICALLY INSIST THAT WE FIND ANOTHER WAY TO GET ZEUS PLZ DON'T SACRIFICE YOURSELF"

Why is Hera such a drunk bitch?

Why do bugs come out of Hermes' body?
Why does Hera's death kill all plantlife?

Worse plot-holes than Heavy Rain.
WTF are they talking about "tying things up". Nothing was tied up. The entire ending is open-ended, and I can't even find that thing Keighley and Stig were talking about.

This game is fun but holy shit did their team cut out some important stuff when they threaded together this entry's plot.

On the topic of puzzles, I don't recall any actual worthy puzzles in this game aside from the one that leads up to the acquisition of Apollo's Bow, and of course, Hera's Rooftop Gardens. The rest were all basically pushing blocks around, right? I mean, I was kind of grateful for that. Didn't want a shit ton of contrived switch/puzzle garbage breaking up my chaotic rampage. Having one concentrated puzzle sequence free of combat was actually the best way to go (the rooftop gardens) and I was very pleased with that.

Oh wow you are so wrong it hurts. The puzzles in GoW2 were so incredibly awesome the fact that the team lazily left everything but block-pushing out is what makes this game inferior to GoW2 in some way.

Corran Horn

Magnus said:
Did anyone else shit a brick and laugh their ass off at the Hermes execution?

After that insipid, insulting little fuck kept blathering on for a whole minute, I actually just yelled at my screen, "Rip his fucking legs off and steal his shoes". Two seconds later, I began to actually believe in the joke I made, and realized that Kratos may actually be doing that at the end of the scene. Moments later, I saw that look in his eyes, and knew it was about to happen.

So, fucking, awesome! :lol :lol

I was hollering and laughing my ass off at my TV like an idiot.
That was like the only time in the game were I was in my room going "OH SHITTTTTTT" :lol

Well that's just a lot of nitpicking really. I mean sure the game has a lot of plot holes but somethings you just have to take on its terms. One of my complaints is that Zeus is the only one that displays any kind of god like powers.

wizword

Banned
Dogenzaka said:
Ending was so WTF I don't think it wraps anything up and I think the entire plot and characterization of the game was the worst we've seen since God of War 1.

Why the hell doesn't Athena just come back to life since she's buddies with Hades? Why doesn't Hades just resurrect his own dead wife? Why does Athena just decide to have a change of heart and go "You're right! Let's kill Zeus"? What happens after Kratos dies? Does Aphrodite just have lesbian sex on the top of Mt. Olympus for the rest of eternity?

So fear entered Zeus when Kratos opened Pandora's Box, but Kratos got hope. Why the hell did he get hope? Pandora's Box is full of evils and an incredible power, not "goodie goodie" feelings. And why did Athena respond to Zeus locking away the evils with "Hey, I'm going to put an awesome power in that box"?

Why does it take until the end of the game for Kratos to realize that he's destroying the fucking earth by killing the gods?

Why does he kill himself? Nobody had to fucking die and he decides to kill himself? Why was Athena pissed that he killed himself? "You ruined it" or something like that.

What is Athena trying to say? Is she the real Pandora or something? What does she mean "my power" and all that shit?

What the hell happens when Kratos dies? Does "Hope" get spread around the dead, lifeless earth and it regenerates or something?

How does Gaia survive but the other Titans die when they fall off a giant mountain?

How can Kratos finally show some human emotion in the third game, yet it's towards a stupid, false girl who happens to be an embodiment of a key for the box? She's not even real. And why, with all that new emotion coming into play, does he still INSIST on killing every fucking thing? Olympus wasn't even going after him. They didn't even attack him. HE decides to climb up there and knock the shit out of everything. Zeus even gives him further chances to just back off and cool it, and he destroys the earth around him in his vengeance.

Then at the end of the game, in a sort of matter-of-fact attitude, he's like "look. everything's dead lol" yeah no shit you killed everything. Was that worth it?

I'm guessing Kratos having the power of Pandora inside him since the first game is what has allowed him to kill all the gods? Why can the Titans kill the gods? They don't have that power.

It can't be asked enough. Why the fuck does Kratos show sympathy to a stupid fake girl when he's killed women and men all the time without blinking an eye? Hell he didn't even care about Pandora in the beginning.

He only needed her to open the box! And then he's like "NOOOOOOO! I DON'T EVEN KNOW OR CARE ABOUT YOU BUT DON'T BE THE KEY TO OPEN THE BOX! DON'T SUBMIT YOURSELF TO YOUR PURPOSE EVEN THOUGH YOU ARE FAKE AND THE WHOLE REASON I CLIMBED UP THIS FUCKING MOUNTAIN WAS TO USE YOU AND NOW I'M GOING TO MORONICALLY INSIST THAT WE FIND ANOTHER WAY TO GET ZEUS PLZ DON'T SACRIFICE YOURSELF"

Why is Hera such a drunk bitch?

Why do bugs come out of Hermes' body?
Why does Hera's death kill all plantlife?

Worse plot-holes than Heavy Rain.
WTF are they talking about "tying things up". Nothing was tied up. The entire ending is open-ended, and I can't even find that thing Keighley and Stig were talking about.

This game is fun but holy shit did their team cut out some important stuff when they threaded together this entry's plot.
He kills himself to defy athena and not give her the power but free it completely from the world. That is what the hope is. The other elements that he gets rid of were all of pandora's evils. Which is represented by each death. Seems pretty obvious.
Edit: Meant to say free into the world.

Magnus

Dogenzaka said:

All valid questions. Some things are definitely left unresolved or unanswered to service the plot.

I understood this whole story event to mean that Athena conjured up the "ultimate weapon" to combat the evils, and placed it in the box, so that it might become available should the box ever be opened and the evils unleashed upon the world. The thing was that she didn't really know what that weapon was. It's like she summoned a tool based on its purpose, and put it in the box, but never knew what the tool was. When Kratos opened the box to retrieve the "ultimate weapon" to combat Zeus and his fear, he retrieved that "Hope". Does this make any sense? It's contrived, but has a bizarre Disney-like logic to it that works for me.

Motherfucking rage, man. He's blinded by it.

He probably just can't live with everything he's done. The rage and need for vengeance kept him going. With that resolved, he's just plain pissed at his own existence, and I think there's a moment where he looks out at the world and realizes what he's done. He says something to Athena along the lines of "what world, look what's left, it's utter chaos". He knows what a shithole he's helped create, and might also just want a way out of it.

[What is Athena trying to say? Is she the real Pandora or something? What does she mean "my power" and all that shit?

She flips out when she doesn't realize at first that the weapon is hope. She thinks Kratos did retrieve an actual weapon of some sort (at least, something more overtly powerful than a concept like 'Hope'), and that he's keeping it from her. She envisions a weapon she might use to confront and combat her obstacles.

There's a lot of wasted opportunity in this game. Where the fuck are the rest of the Titans?!

That was my impression, yes. Not literal regeneration, but a world freed from fated rule according to the gods now has hope and self-direction, free of destiny. Makes sense to me.

Dogenzaka

Banned
wizword said:
He kills himself to defy athena and not give her the power but free it completely from the world. That is what the hope. The other elements that he gets rid of were all of pandora's evils. Which is represented by each death.

So he doesn't want to give Athena hope? He wants to give it to mankind? What mankind? Everyone is dead, everything is dead, everything is gone.

What other elements? Are you saying that Pandora's evils were "rid of" when Kratos kills the gods? How is the sun going away, the earth flooding, plantlife dying, and plague infecting the earth "getting rid of" evil? I thought the evils were greed, hatred, etc. Sins in other words. Since when do the other gods have that, and what does that have to do with their elements?

I understood this whole story event to mean that Athena conjured up the "ultimate weapon" to combat the evils, and placed it in the box, so that it might become available should the box ever be opened and the evils unleashed upon the world. The thing was that she didn't really know what that weapon was. It's like she summoned a tool based on its purpose, and put it in the box, but never knew what the tool was. When Kratos opened the box to retrieve the "ultimate weapon" to combat Zeus and his fear, he retrieved that "Hope". Does this make any sense? It's contrived, but has a bizarre Disney-like logic to it that works for me.

I suppose, but does that mean he got it the first time he opened the box or the second time? Because if he got it the first time, it would explain why he was able to kill gods in the first place.

There's a lot of wasted opportunity in this game. Where the fuck are the rest of the Titans?!

Don't remind me ;__; "The entire levels are Titans" lol pffft more like 2 boss fights that take place on hands and faces. Poor Titan at the beginning never even had a chance.

Lostconfused said:
Well that's just a lot of nitpicking really. I mean sure the game has a lot of plot holes but somethings you just have to take on its terms. One of my complaints is that Zeus is the only one that displays any kind of god like powers.
Poseidon does too. Hes the God of seas. Everyone has different complaints ya see.

Magnus

Dogenzaka said:
Oh wow you are so wrong it hurts. The puzzles in GoW2 were so incredibly awesome the fact that the team lazily left everything but block-pushing out is what makes this game inferior to GoW2 in some way.

lol, there's no right or wrong to it man.

I'm just saying, I'm very grateful for the pacing decisions made. I would have hated some of the more intense sequences in the game to be punctuated by retarded puzzles. I felt like the rollercoaster moved as it needed to at most times, and that the rooftop gardens sequence was placed very well into the pacing of the game. It sits at just the right time for me, where I'm ready to slow it down and just ponder over something before returning to the bloodbath, if that makes sense.

Corran Horn said:
That was like the only time in the game were I was in my room going "OH SHITTTTTTT" :lol

I swear I dropped the controller briefly to clap. So fucking great. :lol :lol

wizword

Banned
Dogenzaka said:
So he doesn't want to give Athena hope? He wants to give it to mankind? What mankind? Everyone is dead, everything is dead, everything is gone.

What other elements? Are you saying that Pandora's evils were "rid of" when Kratos kills the gods? How is the sun going away, the earth flooding, plantlife dying, and plague infecting the earth "getting rid of" evil? I thought the evils were greed, hatred, etc. Sins in other words. Since when do the other gods have that, and what does that have to do with their elements?

I suppose, but does that mean he got it the first time he opened the box or the second time? Because if he got it the first time, it would explain why he was able to kill gods in the first place.
If you notice at the end he comes back to life (you can't see his body) and he goes into the ocean. Which means that 'something good happened to the world'. The reason why the world is ruined is because pandora's box all the evils went into the gods and kratos unleashed it to the world. This has way more to do with pandora's box and the story of god of war 1.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Also, if Zeus gets a badass ghost and Athena gets a ghost, why don't the other gods? Why do they get ghosts instead of going to the Underworld? Kratos had to go to the underworld when he died as a god...

Kratos killing himself isn't exactly an "escape" since he'll just float around as a soul in the Underworld without any judges or Hades to give him a place to go.

If you notice at the end he comes back to life (you can't see his body) and he goes into the ocean. Which means that 'something good happened to the world'. The reason why the world is ruined is because pandora's box all the evils went into the gods and kratos unleashed it to the world.

He went into the ocean? Didn't see that. Must have stepped out for a moment during the credits.

So the world going to shit doesn't have to do with the elements being destroyed (sun god dying = sun going away, for example) it just means that the evils of Pandora have destroyed the world?

Corran Horn

Lostconfused said:
Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon show the god like power the most and considering they are the big 3 gods that sounds okay.

Kinda sad some of the other Gods/demigods/titans got no face time....maybe for a sequel/spinoff

SixStringPsycho said:
Poseidon does too. Hes the God of seas. Everyone has different complaints ya see.
Oh yeah forgot about him, being in the beginning of the game. But mainly I am just annoyed that Helios was pretty much a bright fluorescent bulb and Hermes could run maybe a bit faster than normal person.
Corran Horn said:
The best Hades managed to do was get a bit too big for his own throne room.

Edit: Either way this game has a very loose definition of what makes some one a god. Like maybe Hera can spend the whole week drunk all the time and maybe that's enough.

Dogenzaka

Banned
That was my impression, yes. Not literal regeneration, but a world freed from fated rule according to the gods now has hope and self-direction, free of destiny. Makes sense to me.

The problem is that Stig said this explains why there are no more Greek gods in the world....implying that the world now exists after that event.

Well, after the gods die, the earth turns into a flooded land with no sun, plague, no plantlife, mankind dead, death itself in chaos, and a goddess of sex having eternal lesbian sex on a mountaintop. The earth is uninhabitable and doesn't support life.

Are they saying at this point, the world starts over (primordial ooze, organisms evolving, blah blah blah) and then we eventually get to where we are now? That's like a rift in the timeline.

The whole Aphrodite thing is really annoying me. They should have changed that to where she somehow pisses off Kratos like Hera and then he kills her. To have her remain on Olympus as the last god alive kind of ruins the entire thing Kratos had going for destroying Olympus.

The best Hades managed to do was get a bit too big for his own throne room.

It's hilarious how he lives in a hollow, dark statue of himself. You'd expect the Lord of the Underworld to have a bit more of an interesting throne-room.

Edit: Either way this game has a very loose definition of what makes some one a god. Like maybe Hera can spend the whole week drunk all the time and maybe that's enough.

She doesn't seem the least bit annoyed that her husband cheated on her with a mortal to have Kratos, either.

wizword

Banned
Dogenzaka said:
Also, if Zeus gets a badass ghost and Athena gets a ghost, why don't the other gods? Why do they get ghosts instead of going to the Underworld? Kratos had to go to the underworld when he died as a god...

Kratos killing himself isn't exactly an "escape" since he'll just float around as a soul in the Underworld without any judges or Hades to give him a place to go.

He went into the ocean? Didn't see that. Must have stepped out for a moment during the credits.

So the world going to shit doesn't have to do with the elements being destroyed (sun god dying = sun going away, for example) it just means that the evils of Pandora have destroyed the world?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJgSKoPeXvY

(This is the ending don't watch this if you haven't got here yet).

Just watch this. Tells the whole story pretty much.

Loved every single second of it. Had no problems with glitching or platforming like i'm seeing. And i thought normal difficulty was just fine. Boss battles were just draw jopping. Hercules one was insane. Also i thought the story was terrific too.

At the end when you see his bloodtrail i took it to mean someone took his body, either the gravedigger from GoW1 or his brother who escaped the underworld after you defeated Hades.

Another hint that Kratos has a brother is that while in the underworld you find a note supposedly from his mother talking about how he's a family killing monster, destroying his wife, daughter, and brother.

part of me was hoping to see him reunited with his family in Elysium but the ending was still great. His line 'my vengeance is at an end' right before he kills himself is awesome.

dralla

Concerning Athena, I'm pretty sure her change of heart was because she discovered what happened after Kratos opened PD in GoW 1. After she was killed she found out opening the box released the 'evil energy' and it took over Zues. He became filled with rage/fear, ect. basically became a mad man.

At the end when you kill Zues and everything turns black, that was all of the evil energy spreading over Olympus. Kratos than used Pandora's energy, Hope, to finally defeat him and clear his conscious. I think all along, Athena's goal was to retrieve this energy. That's why she's so insistent you get to the flame/box, and why she bugs you at the end when you tell her nothing was inside.

Dogenzaka said:
That's it man. I can't take it anymore. You're the inaugural member of my ignore list. I can't do it anymore. Everything you say is bitching and moaning about some tiny detail. It's why you have the most posts in the GOW3 official thread and double of the amount of the next most. I tried to bite my tongue for as long as I can, but enough is enough. It's unbearable.

Dogenzaka

Banned
bigboss370 said:
Loved every single second of it. Had no problems with glitching or platforming like i'm seeing. And i thought normal difficulty was just fine. Boss battles were just draw jopping. Hercules one was insane. Also i thought the story was terrific too.

At the end when you see his bloodtrail i took it to mean someone took his body, either the gravedigger from GoW1 or his brother who escaped the underworld after you defeated Hades.

Another hint that Kratos has a brother is that while in the underworld you find a note supposedly from his mother talking about how he's a family killing monster, destroying his wife, daughter, and brother.

part of me was hoping to see him reunited with his family in Elysium but the ending was still great. His line 'my vengeance is at an end' right before he kills himself is awesome.

Realm of Hades had a lot of potential for the plot. Like Kratos trying to free his family from Death, or Athena coming back to life. :(

That's it man. I can't take it anymore. You're the inaugural member of my ignore list. I can't do it anymore. Everything you say is bitching and moaning about some tiny detail. It's why you have the most posts in the GOW3 official thread and double of the amount of the next most. I tried to bite my tongue for as long as I can, but enough is enough. It's unbearable.

I don't give no fucks.

If there's one game and one team that needs the most amount of honest critique, it's SSM, because they take it like a man and they use it to make the best games out there. Because they're a good studio that listens to their fans and what they think about their games.

They said if we ask about it, they'll include the epilogue they cut out. I hope they do that.

I don't bitch and moan about everything, but I don't hold back when something needs to be called out. And neither does SSM or Naughty Dog whenever they make games in their studios. That's why they're so good.

Everybody on this forum nitpicks, it's why developers actually listen here. I guess you're going to call out AmiRox for his pages-long crusade against Heavy Rain and its terrible plot holes and unrealistic methods of trying to grab the player?

wizword

Banned
Dogenzaka said:
Going into the ocean makes absolutely no sense though.
"I'd rather die in the water than on this mountain!"
That is a cliffhanger. We have no idea what happened there. I am bailing out on this thread but the plot was pretty plot hole less. It was poorly told though.

Dogenzaka

Banned
wizword said:
That is a cliffhanger. We have no idea what happened there.

I see. Well hopefully if they release that epilogue we will know what happened.

Is it so hard to make a GoW game NOT end on a cliffhanger :(

Gigglepoo

Does anyone think they should have gone farther with the destruction of the planet? When each of the gods dies, you see how the land is immediately tainted. Poseidon causes floods, Helios blots out the sun, Hermes unleashing the plague, etc. But there's only a visual representation of these disasters. Nothing is changed from a gameplay or level design perspective, which makes it easy to ignore the chaos you're causing. It would have had more impact for me if it tied in closer to the gameplay and story than just serving as brief visual flashes.

Big B

Yeah, the end was kind of cheesy with the whole "give everyone HOPE!!!" thing but it was done in a hyper-masculine way so all is forgiven.

Also Dogenzaka, don't ever read the Malazan series. :p

Magnus

Gigglepoo said:
Does anyone think they should have gone farther with the destruction of the planet? When each of the gods dies, you see how the land is immediately tainted. Poseidon causes floods, Helios blots out the sun, Hermes unleashing the plague, etc. But there's only a visual representation of these disasters. Nothing is changed from a gameplay or level design perspective, which makes it easy to ignore the chaos you're causing. It would have had more impact for me if it tied in closer to the gameplay and story than just serving as brief visual flashes.

That would have been amazing. God of War III remake in seven years might implement this for great justice.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Magnus said:
That would have been amazing. God of War III remake in seven years might implement this for great justice.

Mmm this is true, but how could they well implement it (other than plague somehow infecting the monsters you attack)? I suppose one cool thing they could have done is have you explore Atlantis (which was cut out of the second game) or have you explore a city that you had visited prior, but is now underwater or flooding.

I feel like the fact that they had to work on this tech for so long really hurt them in terms of what actually ended up in the game...I think it would have been neat had they shown occasional video of what was going on in the world as Kratos is killing everyone off.

Hopefully SSM's next game, with a refined engine of what was used here, will be able to do what God of War 2 did to God of War 1.

Gigglepoo

Dogenzaka said:
but how could they well implement it

From a story perspective, the game could have used the approached Shadow of the Colossus did. You start the game out as a hero, but as you commit more and more unspeakable acts of violence, the morality turns to gray, and you start to question if your motivations are pure or commendable at all. But by making the gods just as vicious and violent as Kratos, they make both sides pretty unlikable, which makes it difficult to get invested in either angle. Slowly painting Kratos as the bad guy would have been a lot more interesting than how it really turned out.

One quick and dirty idea of how they could have changed things from a gameplay perspective is by having the environment slowly change around you depending on what gods have died. Pathways would become flooded, outdoor areas would be pitch black, locusts would halt your progress, and other fairly minor though impactful changes.

Aside from the two Titan sections, the game doesn't do anything the previous games in the series haven't already done. Taking advantage of the dying earth would have given it a stronger identity, more diverse art (which is already great), and added a bit more variety in exploration.

Of course, I'm not a game designer. It just seemed like an aspect that wasn't pushed far enough.

wizword

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
From a story perspective, the game could have used the approached Shadow of the Colossus did. You start the game out as a hero, but as you commit more and more unspeakable acts of violence, the morality turns to gray, and you start to question if your motivations are pure or commendable at all. But by making the gods just as vicious and violent as Kratos, they make both sides pretty unlikable, which makes it difficult to get invested in either angle. Slowly painting Kratos as the bad guy would have been a lot more interesting than how it really turned out.

One quick and dirty idea of how they could have changed things from a gameplay perspective is by having the environment slowly change around you depending on what gods have died. Pathways would become flooded, outdoor areas would be pitch black, locusts would halt your progress, and other fairly minor though impactful changes.

Aside from the two Titan sections, the game doesn't do anything the previous games in the series haven't already done. Taking advantage of the dying earth would have given it a stronger identity, more diverse art (which is already great), and added a bit more diversity in exploration.

Of course, I'm not a game designer. It just seemed like an aspect that wasn't pushed far enough.
Well if zeus didn't do anything wrong why would kratos find the need to fight him at the beginning. The story was very poorly told because it was summed up by the last 10 minutes what you were doing throughout the game.

Gigglepoo

wizword said:
Well if zeus didn't do anything wrong why would kratos find the need to fight him at the beginning. The story was very poorly told because it was summed up by the last 10 minutes what ou were doing throughout the game.

Yeah, it's true that it would have been hard to paint Zeus as sympathetic because he was a total dick. But the story was still just three unlikable sides trying to kill each other. Kind of hard to find a rooting interest. It was easier to root for Kratos in the first two games (Ares tricked him into killing his family, Zeus killed him) but he wasn't given any likable characteristics or motivations in this game.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Gigglepoo said:

Aside from the two Titan sections, the game doesn't do anything the previous games in the series haven't already done. Taking advantage of the dying earth would have given it a stronger identity, more diverse art (which is already great), and added a bit more variety in exploration.

This. So much this.

You may not be a game designer, but your words are truth and genius.

Well if zeus didn't do anything wrong why would kratos find the need to fight him at the beginning.

I've been of the opinion since God of War 1 that Zeus isn't really a bad guy.

wizword

Banned
Dogenzaka said:
This. So much this.

You may not be a game designer, but your words are truth and genius.

I've been of the opinion since God of War 1 that Zeus isn't really a bad guy.
Zeus tried to kill kratos/killed kratos in god of war 2.

Dogenzaka

Banned
wizword said:
Zeus tried to kill kratos in god of war 2.

I didn't really blame Zeus for that though, considering Kratos was being an immature brat by destroying everything shamelessly in the name of Sparta, defying the gods and Zeus' orders, and Zeus was trying to protect himself from being eventually killed by his own, cranky son.

I'm still trying to comprehend how Gaia saved Kratos in GoW2 in the first place.

Dogenzaka said:
I didn't really blame Zeus for that though, considering Kratos was being an immature brat by destroying everything shamelessly in the name of Sparta, defying the gods and Zeus' orders, and Zeus was trying to protect himself from being eventually killed by his own, cranky son.

I'm still trying to comprehend how Gaia saved Kratos in GoW2 in the first place.
Athena explains why zeus had fear. It all began when Kratos killed Ares for his revenge and Athena helped him. When Kratos opened pandoras box for the first time to things were released. Fear and hope. Kratos got the gift of hope and Zeus and all the other Gods got fear. Fear of being killed by Kratos and taking their position. Thats what drove everyone mad.

Dogenzaka

Banned
SixStringPsycho said:
Athena explains why zeus had fear. It all began when Kratos killed Ares for his revenge and Athena helped him. When Kratos opened pandoras box for the first time to things were released. Fear and hope. Kratos got the gift of hope and Zeus and all the other Gods got fear. Fear of being killed by Kratos and taking their position. Thats what drove everyone mad.

Well why didn't the other sins, greed, and hatred as mentioned, get released to the gods? Where did they go? :p

Phatcorns

What was up with that one part where Zeus asks Gaia if she was regretting choosing Kratos as a pawn and asked her if she wish she had chosen the other?

Is this some type of sequel setup?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Phatcorns said:
What was up with that one part where Zeus asks Gaia if she was regretting choosing Kratos as a pawn and asked her if she wish she had chosen the other?

Is this some type of sequel setup?
I think she was referring to Hercules.

Phatcorns

Gigglepoo said:

I feel like the fact that Kratos doesn't care about anyone or anything is what makes his character. The only thing he came close to caring about was Pandora and that was because she reminded him of the one thing he did care about when he was actually a human.

I think the ending was perfect because it redeems Kratos by him finally ending his constant destruction and he got his vengeance. It seems very fitting that the one character who lives to do nothing but kill things kills himself. Although I'm not sure where they were going with the Kratos dragging himself off the cliff bit at the very end.

It's also cool how after all that destruction he is the one who created the world as it is today. He ends the reign of the gods and titans and gives mankind hope and let's them exist on their own without being torn back and forth between the gods. Gave me another reason to root for Kratos.

I probably am wrong about all that as far as what the designers intended, but it certainly feels right to me and that was my reading.

Gigglepoo

SixStringPsycho said:

That part didn't make sense to me. Athena says that Zeus was essentially turned evil after the sins locked in Pandora's Box were released in the world, right? But we learned earlier in the game that Zeus tried to kill his own father, and Kratos was just perpetuating the cycle of patricide. It seems like he was evil long before Pandora's Box was opened.

Le-mo

Near the end of the game when Gaia was about to crush Zeus and Kratos Zeus said Gaia "should have chosen the other one" which is, I'm guessing, referring to Krato's brother? If it is I think I know where the next game in the franchise is heading.:D

Dogenzaka

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
That part didn't make sense to me. Athena says that Zeus was essentially turned evil after the sins locked in Pandora's Box were released in the world, right? But we learned earlier in the game that Zeus tried to kill his own father, and Kratos was just perpetuating the cycle of patricide. It seems like he was evil long before Pandora's Box was opened.

Not just that, but if Zeus was evil, why in the HELL was Athena protecting him in the first place? :(

Le-mo

Dogenzaka said:
Not just that, but if Zeus was evil, why in the HELL was Athena protecting him in the first place? :(
She said she didn't realize Zeus's evil intent after she was killed by Kratos.

wizword

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
Pandora Box made Zeus consumed in fear for his own death making the prediction by the oracles true. He was consumed by fear.

george_us

You know, it seems all of this mischief could of been avoided if Athena would of just let Ares annihilate her city. What's the price of a city compared to the fabric of reality eh?:p

wizword

Banned
Well this may be false (really more of a theory) but each of the 8 gods shown may be represented by the eight deadly thoughts which would link it to the pandora box. But this is probably way overboard and probably not even thought of.

-Gluttony (Cronus)
-Acedia (Hephaestus)
-Hermes (Vainglory)
-Poseidon (Pride)
-Hades (Wrath)
-Aphrodite(lust)
-Sloth (Hera)
-Envy (Hercules)
-Greed (Zeus?)

Dogenzaka

Banned
george_us said:
You know, it seems all of this mischief could of been avoided if Athena would of just let Ares annihilate her city. What's the price of a city compared to the fabric of reality eh?:p

I think it all could have been avoided if the gods just killed Ares. Blah blah blah gods can't war against each other. Who made that rule? Zeus? Wasn't the entirety of Olympus getting pissed off with Ares? They could have just voted to kill him and replace him. What, were they afraid of him finding out that he was betrayed? So what? He'd be dead.

Though of course, then we wouldn't have 3 great games to play :p

Top Bottom