• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon | Info and speculation thread

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh someone noticed

why is it "Choose Your Hero"?
The Legendary Greninja was a hero, maybe a synchro hero?

The friendship is magic talk while dumb was just talk. This actually affects the gameplay.

no more than megas and such

-Horizon-

image.php

Is it bad that I thought about you when her character was revealed? =P

;3

No, it wouldn't. They need to increase Pokémon use in the overworld, not decrease it. :p

The solution is simple: make HMs not occupy regular battle moves space. That should have been the case since Gen 2 or 3.

or just give similar moves overworld effects. no reason I shouldn't be able to Aqua Jet instead of Surf, right? or Karate Chop/Brick Break instead of Rock Smash. or Slam or Rollout instead of Strength. etc. etc.

MajorMane

Some quick things to note after looking at the new map:
  • There are four major islands + the artificial one in the middle as the description of the region has said. BUT, there is an island to the top right of the region, barely obscured by clouds. Definitely another island to visit as I don't think it'd be there for show.
  • There are two conveniently placed clouds at the bottom of the screen, probably obscuring more islands. There are no other clouds in the rest of the region (just around it), so it's either late game or post game content.
  • There are boats heading between all of the major islands. Based on that we know the starting island is the top-left and the way the boats are heading, I think the order you visit them will be: Top-left, bottom-left, top-right, bottom-right. All four of these major islands has a dock which you can see, meaning we'll be able to travel by boat to all of these islands throughout the game.
  • The bottom-left island has a smaller island to its south, but this island seemingly can't be reached via boat or even surf if we go by past mechanics. (No dock, rocks blocking off the southern beach of the major island.) Of note, however, the shallow water color extends around this, so more than likely, you'll be able to surf from another part of the island.
  • If you count the four major islands (bottom-left including the smaller landmass to its south), the artificial one, the partially obscured on to the top-right, and assume two more islands under the clouds, you'd come to eight islands, like Hawaii.

More speculation based on the map...

• Tried to count the amount of Pokecenters visible on the map. I count 12 for sure, with another possible two on the top-right island. (Though, I believe only one is there, so 13 total.)
  • Based on that total count, with only one Pokecenter on the bottom left island, I revise my original ordering of islands. With only one Pokecenter and a lack of towns, I think the bottom left island will be the last one you visit, either housing Victory Road/Elite Four or the temple which houses the respective mascot legendary. (It does seem to house a castle/ruins within the plateau segments.) You probably go clockwise around the islands.
  • There's a neat walled off city on the bottom-right island. Interesting to note that the upcoming Pokemon movie seemingly also takes place in a walled-off city.

no more than megas and such

it is a little jarring for those of us who have been playing these games for years to watch the naturalistic dichotomy between humans and pokemon and its importance become gradually overshadowed by weird and unapologetically anime stuff like this

i mean pokemon fusion with humans in a mainline game? seriously? how could anyone wonder why that shit might seem weird to someone who's been playing Pokemon or watching Pokemon or whatever since the 90s or early 2000s

Boss Doggie

it is a little jarring for those of us who have been playing these games for years to watch the naturalistic dichotomy between humans and pokemon and its importance become gradually overshadowed by weird and unapologetically anime stuff like this

i mean pokemon fusion with humans in a mainline game? seriously? how could anyone wonder why that shit might seem weird to someone who's been playing Pokemon or watching Pokemon or whatever since the 90s or early 2000s

you're confusing fusion with synchro

synchro, unlike mega, actually feels a natural progression - the trainer and pokemon become "one" that they help out each other without the need to shout attacks or communicate

also that sentence - been playing Pokemon since Blue and honestly you get anime shit like monsters firing aura attacks in your game lol

They gotta add some super saiyan mode to make the anime entertaining and give Ash something unique rather than a Mega form that everyone else he's facing is rocking.

Boss Doggie

They gotta add some super saiyan mode to make the anime entertaining and give Ash something unique rather than a Mega form that everyone else he's facing is rocking.

XY has been entertaining even before Ash-Greninja, the whole thing is just an icing ;)

besides we don't get to see this shit

wnplox.gif
jaykrs.gif
zrahxw.gif

They once again, made a handsome Professor.......*cough* >_> <_<

Lillie looks cool too. Sad that they are sticking with the traditional 2 evolution only path for starters. Would be nice to see more variety and options in what you pick for once.....theres always megas or syncro I guess.

Rotom pokedex is a cool idea......but can you eventually use it in battle? :p

Chase17

How would you people about Yokai Watch style side quests in future gens? Maybe instead of having NPC's just handout items you'd have to do stuff like catch Pokémkn x and bring it to them to get the item (of course it could get more creative then that). I'm pretty sure there have been cases like that in past Pokemon games but maybe they could be more plentiful.

I'd like to see something like that to maybe break up the route to town to route ways of the games. Maybe get the player to hang around towns/routes a little longer (and encourage a return to them by opening up higher level side quests later). Just a thought, I could see why people wouldn't want to have all these side quests laying around the main adventure.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Serperior being used on the QR Code thing is interesting, seems the purpose of that mainly is you tell you about Pokemon and where to find them---could there possibly be Wild Starters unlocked through this method?

Kinda weird that Solgaleo is Psychic/Metal when it would be more fitting to be Fire/Metal. Psychic doesn't have anything to do with the sun.

Most outer space Pokémon are Psychic-types (Deoxys, Jirachi, Beheeyem, etc.) so that's why GF made these 2 new outer space mons Psychic-types as well. They associate coming from outer space with psychic abilities.

EVIL

More speculation based on the map...

• Tried to count the amount of Pokecenters visible on the map. I count 12 for sure, with another possible two on the top-right island. (Though, I believe only one is there, so 13 total.)
  • Based on that total count, with only one Pokecenter on the bottom left island, I revise my original ordering of islands. With only one Pokecenter and a lack of towns, I think the bottom left island will be the last one you visit, either housing Victory Road/Elite Four or the temple which houses the respective mascot legendary. (It does seem to house a castle/ruins within the plateau segments.) You probably go clockwise around the islands.
  • There's a neat walled off city on the bottom-right island. Interesting to note that the upcoming Pokemon movie seemingly also takes place in a walled-off city.

I count 14

MajorMane

I count 14

Yep, recounting that's what I come to. I missed a few earlier.

2 on top left, 1 on bottom left, 6 on top right, 5 on bottom right.

Would suggest that the majority of gyms/game takes place on the right side of the region.

GoldStarz

I've been disappointed since I found out it was a lion. Like I expected Game Freak to be so much better than that. It's only gotten worse and now I'm confirmed for Team Moon, even though this break my pattern of alternating between the red and blue versions.

Macka

Lunnala looks much more appealing to me in type and ability compared to Sogaleo, honestly. I'm still pretty disappointed in the Lion.
Full Metal Body is admittedly a pretty disappointing ability, as is the typing, but looks-wise I still prefer Solgaleo by a pretty large margin. Lunala is a bit too complicated a design for my tastes.

#TeamSun then, unless we find out something amazing is a Moon exclusive, but that seems unlikely before launch.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Why does Gamefreak hate giving Pokemon the obvious typings? The typings should always follow the designs.

Just caught up with all the news, and am pretty stoked about everything!

RotomDex is an awesome concept, even if it was implemented for an easier way to hold the players hand.

MajorMane

Cross-posting from another thread with pictures of all the major stuff on the islands with some speculation.

Okay, here's my lite, quick, and dirty post with important buildings/structures. Apologies for the long post with lots of images. I can pursue another way to present the information, if people would rather like. Let me know if I need to do so to cut down on post size. Otherwise, I'm sure I missed some stuff, but I did my best to find everything.

So yeah... incoming long post.

ExtraZoom version of map

Top-left island:

3505936a1e9bd0a7d0a7a1efca8828d5.png

First up is the area which houses the Pokemon lab and where you get your first Pokemon. The lab is the building to the top left, with the platform to its right where you receive your first Pokemon. There's a route that heads north from this area, possibly to the waterfalls as seen in the map. The three houses on the level below are normal houses, with the left-most being the home you move to at the start of the game.

36df9702e3d3d09173f4abe9184bf93e.png

Nearby, we find a cave system that takes us to a cove down the island. (Or the cove takes you to the cave system. Image pulled from the JPN version of the starter video.

85859fe8f56fec5c9ed3b217fc6213ca.png

Heading south, we encounter several distinct buildings. This building has unique architecture, but I'm not sure what it could be.

905ceef057c6c38330eddd46fd2b15e3.png

The building next to it houses a Pokemon Center and what is more than likely a Pokemon School based on a real life school in Hawaii.

d939d49e33c1b233e4d8d6818b303c66.png

Even further south on the beach is this nice looking beach house. Significance unknown.

6111ded7ba89a6d97e45aeee375c4c89.png

Heading west, we hit the first major town in the game based on Honolulu. You'll find many tall buildings here, a Pokemon Center, docks, and other buildings of seeming importance.

38685c9646f9720b8d7cb6fc48789a5e.png

North of the big town, we find a set of houses on the outskirts. The purple building is bigger and might hold significance. The top right house seemingly has places to plant berries and might be where the player character obtains the Wailmer Pail.

ab2529b6a5824f751d8c6dfe53bfeba3.png

The island stretches further north, but we're not able to see it in the new map due to perspective. Pulling from the JPN trailer again, we see that there is at least one building on this side of the island with a red roof. Possibly a Pokemon Center or something else.

Bottom-right island:

fc99ad80cd530f22202881af3453ab39.png

First we have the docks for the island, alongside the only Pokemon Center visible. There's some sort of tree in the center of the dock.

It should be noted that there's not a lot of civilization here on this island. It is rugged and most likely the end-game area.

d58bb16c9cb814aae9739cfdd22e7aed.png

To the left of the docks, we have an island that isn't surfable from the shore nearby due to the rocks blocking the path. It is within the lighter blue water, however, so it is likely we surf there from somewhere else.

d0fdad4176c3d5af0f41da8e810aec3a.png

To the right of the docks, we have what seems to be one of the very few structures on this island. Zooming in reveals it to be sort of a pueblo type of house. From this house, there are two paths you can take.

ea8e3f131cf3f0598b938fdce7dc9035.png

To the right, the path takes you past this interesting land formation, possibly a geyser/hot springs.

414096af7d16a4f672d95bf36f20db19.png

Much further up the path is a giant tree which you can enter, reminiscent of White Forest.

5d1f6f7be9128423fe2e944de4ac2284.png

Finally, the left path takes you through this immense rivine/plateau system which eventually lets out to a very interesting monument/structure. Possibly the Elite Four or the location of the box legendaries.

Artificial center island:

2df402614e47da4b55376381799f6b00.png

Not much to see here from first glance except that the buildings seem really important. Could hold a palace, hospital, Elite Four, etc.

Top-right island:

9cb66911f0d04fa336ce7aa4313d9bec.png
3cbb60b555d364048e33f52ee5ab9ec8.png

The southern tip of this island is almost an island in of itself, with a small bridge attaching the two. Here we see the docks that we will arrive at, with an Eastern/Chinese style town sporting a few buildings and a Pokemon Center. There's a graveyard to the right of the town and a lighthouse above. Lots of foliage on this part of the island.

Also of note, might be just artistic choice, but there's a sailing ship near this island while other ships are more modern.

f5acfa901b83437c84935a745ac9517a.png

Heading north, we hit another large town, sporting several nondescript buildings and a Pokemon Center. The larger blue building to the left seems important and the hotel we saw in the concept art is the one to the north of town. Also a small natural area to the northeast of the town.

98ed597a958c94c3386b131adec017fc.png
d6461c88c89604ca6055926b39b3f4e7.png

To the east of this town, we find another resort/hotel type area, complete with beach umbrellas and what seems like a golf course.

e2446b982dfe23cc9f2ce1b54eabc46a.png

North of this hotel is another large town/area. The modern building holds some importance, possibly for what the equivalent to contests will be. We also see cars here, which might take you upwards to the volcano area.

9210d9147f2aac6a299ce7f66909ef33.png

The northeast side of this island houses an almost volcano. Lava, steam, caves.

3ca3496cb4a8223896afcd53c8869acf.png

West of here, we see a small town with a Pokemon Center and ranch type area. To the west of this town is a lake with a waterfall that empties into the ocean.

a2c05df470aff61fc27e3f39f6f8d22e.png

Further north, we see this incredibly cool looking structure with lakes/waterfalls. Seems important, but whether it's a gym or something else remains to be seen.

d4eeaac0962ca86fde3fc8471e6e6ce7.png

North of here, another building and Pokemon Center. Again, perspective makes us lose the north most side of the island, but there's probably more structures there.

5f8de3d5deabc94cfb71a2f421f6f8eb.png

Also, there's a small island to the northeast of this island, partially obscured by clouds.

Bottom-right island:

e518bd254cc4b372896e160b36ede8d0.png

Starting at the right side of the island, we find again a major harbor city with the docks and architecture inspired by Japan. Someone posted a link earlier in the thread to possible inspiration, but I can't seem to find it. There's also a building to the north of this town at the base of the mountain.

c5458280ddbc99f660c6b4f2503041e0.png

South of here, we find a patch of desert down the mountain and as well as what seems to be a power plant.

e719bd19e438e0ef07559cb2d821f89f.png

Further south, we find another cluster of houses, with some looking like a campground.

8a8e9e2c29cf86c8bfded87776c7e47a.png

West of here, we find another Pokemon Center, alongside a white building that could be a castle or other monument. There is also what seems to be a lift to take you up the mountain to the icy part.

d4c48ca06ce37a6ab9f5c7a636fc6b4e.png

South of this area, we find a house with unique architecture as well as a platform in the middle of the ocean.

8f7b6618331fe949984626283ab7f320.png

Atop the mountain is plenty of ice and a Pokemon Center. Doesn't seem like a town will be here, but you will probably have to go through this area to get to...

60c2c59523e8a639e844ed140380e3f3.png

The observatory.

42193e9e65b8184c030ac0bb24e1be71.png
553bb2806c4343a43b5f77d62e994461.png

Back down the mountain, we find another Pokemon Center with a narrow building nearby, and a forest which contains a structure on a lake. South are some islands with what seems to be a slab on one island.

e13d1011ecb886bf124bf190067d3cc9.png

Finally, the northern tip of this island houses a walled off city.
The upcoming Pokemon movie also takes place in a walled off city.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Nah that's too boring and conservative, you belong in a retirement community
Damn kids. Back in my day, there were only 15 types, and half of them were useless! And you could tell all types from their name alone. Ain't that right electric mouse and fire lizard?

Hmm, from the scale we can assume via comparing in game footage to the artwork of the first island, this region doesn't look very big...

Also, there doesn't seem to be many towns.

Lillie's name is a plant pun, like pretty much every Gym Leader, Elite Four and Champion in Japanese. I think it's a pretty safe bet she's one of those.

GoldStarz

Lillie's name is a plant pun, like pretty much every Gym Leader, Elite Four and Champion in Japanese. I think it's a pretty safe bet she's one of those.

Yeah but the only Gen to actually do that in English was Gen VI and there's no reason to believe they'd do it again.

NeonZ

So then why does all the marketing call the form Ash-Greninja then? They can't really take that back without it being confusing as fuck.

Mega Mewtwo Y was "Mewtwo Awakened form" before we got the Mega Evolution mechanic revealed. That Mewtwo also transformed into Mega form without using a Mega stone. So, the synchro-equivalent mechanic being tied to that crystal on the trainer's promo art wouldn't be that odd.

Top Bottom