• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon | Info and speculation thread

Malrend

Yeah that little song makes me want a Mimikyu.. Not even on my team necessarily, I just need to have one to make myself feel I'm taking of it.. Poor thing, it just wants to make friends.

Steiner

Banned
Holy shit did y'all see this new commercial? Fan made. Aimed at older, lapsed Kanto players like myself. Hit me right in the feels, man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkaPpwOhr8Y

Can we just appreciate everything right about this frame right here?
maHyBWA.jpg

- Bro and sis playing the Pokemon Trading Card Game
- Collectors book to protect those sweet holographics and personal favorites
- Girl is wearing Jordans
- Girl eating a pepperoni pizza lunchable (the best kind), and her capri sun is sitting on top of an issue of Nintendo Power magazine
- both of them are drinking a can of effing SURGE

CazTGG

Even the commercials are pandering to Gen I nostalgia this year. Have we not had enough of this with everything else they did to celebrate the series 20th anniversary (hah)Pokémon Red/Green's original release?

EDIT: Didn't notice it was fan-made. Point still stands.

Even the commercials are pandering to Gen I nostalgia this year. Have we not had enough of this with everything else they did to celebrate the series 20th anniversary (hah)Pokémon Red/Green's original release?

gamefreak is starting to make me hate gen 1

428171.gif

I don't think the people with the "Genwunner" complain honestly understand how crazy the first generation was for Pokemon. It's a damn phenomenon. Like how Pokemon Go was when if first came out.

brinstar

Of course people understand, they just like other aspects of the franchise more and are tired of seeing the same ol' mons lately.

This series didn't start leaning so heavily on Gen 1 again until Gen 6 started.

Phu

Banned
They can gush over Gen 1 and still throw the next 5 gens a bone at the same time, but apparently they didn't feel up to it.

428171.gif

I don't think the people with the "Genwunner" complain honestly understand how crazy the first generation was for Pokemon. It's a damn phenomenon. Like how Pokemon Go was when if first came out.
I argued this in another thread but I'll reiterate what I said there in a more succinct form...
Gen 1 is not a monolithic block. Just because people liked charizard, mewtwo and other favourites from gen 1, it does not magically make the entire gen 'iconic' or nostalgia worthy. Most pokemon fans might still enjoy seeing Squirtle or get a pang of nostalgia when they see Gengar but I doubt there are huge numbers of people going "omg spearow!"

This whole 'gen' thing bothers me. It makes perfect sense to bring back popular and memorable POKEMON but dragging the whole gen along for the ride seems misguided to me.

Betty

Banned
Of course people understand, they just like other aspects of the franchise more and are tired of seeing the same ol' mons lately.

This series didn't start leaning so heavily on Gen 1 again until Gen 6 started.

Nah, Gen 1 pandering has been around a while.

And long may it continue.

brinstar

Nah, Gen 1 pandering has been around a while.

And long may it continue.

The series has never been afraid to reference its own past, sure. But between X/Y, Go, the R/B/Y VC releases and Sun/Moon
having more R/B/Y mons in it than the others
I think it's perfectly understandable that some folks are feeling a bit fatigued.

I argued this in another thread but I'll reiterate what I said there in a more succinct form...
Gen 1 is not a monolithic block. Just because people liked charizard, mewtwo and other favourites from gen 1, it does not magically make the entire gen 'iconic' or nostalgia worthy. Most pokemon fans might still enjoy seeing Squirtle or get a pang of nostalgia when they see Gengar but I doubt there are huge numbers of people going "omg spearow!"

This whole 'gen' thing bothers me. It makes perfect sense to bring back popular and memorable POKEMON but dragging the whole gen along for the ride seems misguided to me.

Frankly the one game counter argument against this is the popularity of Pokemon Go.

There are plenty of people who never followed Pokemon past the first or second gen who are still love catching those original Pokemon as a 20-something.

Much as I love the other generations, its hard to deny the cultural impact of that first generation, or the fact that, say, Hoenn or Sinnoh don't exactly have the same impact.

There is the interesting prospect of 'dragging down' the whole gen with it.
One wonders how Pokemon Go would be like if, instead of going for all Gen I, they went for the most popular 150 Pokemon overall, or the most profitable in terms of merchandise.

And it does make me wonder if the Gen I pokes are just more marketable to certain demographics, hence their constant presence. Like Optimus Prime's constant presence amongst all the new Tranformers.

Frankly the one game counter argument against this is the popularity of Pokemon Go.

There are plenty of people who never followed Pokemon past the first or second gen who are still love catching those original Pokemon as a 20-something.

Much as I love the other generations, its hard to deny the cultural impact of that first generation, or the fact that, say, Hoenn or Sinnoh don't exactly have the same impact.

There is the interesting prospect of 'dragging down' the whole gen with it.
One wonders how Pokemon Go would be like if, instead of going for all Gen I, they went for the most popular 150 Pokemon overall, or the most profitable in terms of merchandise.

And it does make me wonder if the Gen I pokes are just more marketable to certain demographics, hence their constant presence. Like Optimus Prime's constant presence amongst all the new Tranformers.
Sorry but I disagree that pokemon Go is proof of Gen 1's 'stranglehold'. People buying a game with the pokemon name on it could easily be buying it because of the name, not the specific mons included. Whether they're already fans of the series or just heard the name and wanted to see what the fuss was about now they could get a taste of it on their phone. I should know because I've played a lot of Pokemon Go myself and I don't care about the vast majority of 'gen 1', in many ways I jumped on with the mindset that they'd eventually add more and I doubt I'm alone. Also, after pokemon Go did gangbusters sales of ORAS were massively boosted, so the whole "it's because it only had gen 1" thing doesn't really hold in my eyes.

Tell you what, easy experiment for you: go into a pokemon store and see what they stock in terms of merch... it's definitely not a shop dedicated to the original 150 and some of them will have little to no rep there at all, while some of the newer ones will have a nice selection to nab. Making pokemon Go the top 150 actual popular pokemon would've been a good idea and I doubt even the most ferverent 'gen 1' haters would have issue with that even if there were a decent bunch of gen 1 in there.

Hydrus

Holy shit did y'all see this new commercial? Fan made. Aimed at older, lapsed Kanto players like myself. Hit me right in the feels, man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkaPpwOhr8Y

Can we just appreciate everything right about this frame right here?
maHyBWA.jpg

- Bro and sis playing the Pokemon Trading Card Game
- Collectors book to protect those sweet holographics and personal favorites
- Girl is wearing Jordans
- Girl eating a pepperoni pizza lunchable (the best kind), and her capri sun is sitting on top of an issue of Nintendo Power magazine
- both of them are drinking a can of effing SURGE

That was amazing! PCI would be stupid to not use this.

CazTGG

428171.gif

I was there when it happened (I was four at the time) so please don't try to frame this with some condescending "you just don't understand" remark. Yes, the original games are important since they started things off, but not only did Pokémania in its original inception did not limit itself to just that one game and wouldn't have lasted as long as it did were it not for the television show that came out weeks before it, the trading card games, the movie and tie-ins, the massive merchandise and the many other games that came out between 1998-2000 (Pokemon Pinball, Pokemon Puzzle League, Hey You, Pikachu!, the Stadium games, the trading card game...video game, etc.), we're not living in Pokemania anymore (even if people have fooled themselves into thinking Go's expected success was anywhere near the same level as everything given how quickly it cooled down from the hottest thing out there to a relatively popular thing that people know about), we're living in the twentieth year of a franchise that has moved well beyond that stage in the franchise's life. The series has been around for over twenty years with six main games, over a hundred spin-offs and countless other forms of media, including one of the longest running anime to this day, that and inspired millions of people around the world with their fantastically creative creature designs, easy to play but hard to master gameplay, including people who didn't grow up with the original. Instead of celebrating this series as a whole for this milestone, Game Freak has largely stuck to highlighting the first generation of games (heck, we recently just found out that
Kanto has more reps in Sun & Moon's Dex than several other generations combined and that Alolan Pokémon are Kanto-only because "original fans would recognize them" (even though a poll from a few years back suggest that Marowak and Exeggutor are among the least recognized of the original 151 and more recognizable ones like Magikarp, Scyther and Pidgey are ignored entirely but that's besides the point)
and little else that did come from the original phenomenon, to say nothing of what came after it. That's the problem that I have with all this Gen I pandering during this year, how it narrowly focuses on a very specific point in time for the Pokémon series despite everything that's come afterwards and how representative it is of Game Freak's regard for iconography rather than recognizing series milestones (the Special Attack/Defense split, double battles, wi-fi trading, etc.).

Also: People need to stop using Go as a counter against anything.

Mendrox

You really underestimate Gen I nostalgia.

Razmos

According to Serebii it's just been confirmed there are 7 trials.

So we have Normal, Electric, Grass, Water, Fire, Ghost and potentially Dark trials (under the assumption that the golfing champion Kahili has a connection to the royal family and uses Alolan Meowth/Persian)

And the 4 Kahuna's are Fighting, Rock, Ground and.. Flying?

I wonder how the other 7 Z-Crystals are obtained

Delio

According to Serebii it's just been confirmed there are 7 trials.

So we have Normal, Electric, Grass, Water, Fire, Ghost and potentially Dark trials (under the assumption that the golfing champion Kahili has a connection to the royal family and uses Alolan Meowth/Persian)

And the 4 Kahuna's are Fighting, Rock, Ground and.. Flying?

I wonder how the other 7 Z-Crystals are obtained

Only 7? Ah well. I'm guessing maybe just one on the first island then?

Actually yeah how DO we get the other 7 crystals then. Also im slightly worried about the levels im seeing for the first Trial. You out level it already and Hala's team from the brief scene we got of it was like only a bit higher. Hmm i guess that's Exp shares fault.

Dekuboy

Neo Member
Only 7? Ah well. I'm guessing maybe just one on the first island then?

Actually yeah how DO we get the other 7 crystals then. Also im slightly worried about the levels im seeing for the first Trial. You out level it already and Hala's team from the brief scene we got of it was like only a bit higher. Hmm i guess that's Exp shares fault.

So 1 first Island, 4 Second Island then probably 1 3rd Island and 1 on the Last Island who will probably be like the champ of this gen.

Was it ever confirmed that the trial captains give you the crystals? Since you get the Z ring pretty early, I would assume that they would give you the crystal of the type your starter is so you're not potentially waiting ages to get it.

Razmos

Was it ever confirmed that the trial captains give you the crystals? Since you get the Z ring pretty early, I would assume that they would give you the crystal of the type your starter is so you're not potentially waiting ages to get it.
It was confirmed today in the livestream, you get the normal Z-Crystal for completing Ilima's trial

You really underestimate Gen I nostalgia.
Seems like an odd answer to a post saying that the whole idea of Gen 1 nostalgia is a fundamentally flawed idea and that it's individual pokemon people remember / get nostalgic about rather than some collectivist 'block' of pokemon simply from the first game. I mean heck, most 'lapsed' players probably didn't even encounter all 150 :p

To put it from another perspective: It's like telling me that I underestimate the easter bunny or the tooth fairy :p
Do I believe people will have nostalgia for stuff in the pokemon games? Definitely! Do I believe all 150 gen 1 pokes magically trigger nostalgia for everyone? Not so much.

Top Bottom