• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

big ander

ManCannon said:
Mid-June. Apparently there's some big thing going on in Los Angeles at that time.

Until then, it's all MP beta, all the time.

And I hate to be the bearer of potentially bad news...but I also feel bad when I see so much intense excitement and anticipation when I know the outcome. So, spoiler:
The Faclon is not in the multiplayer beta.
:/
Thanks for telling us early.
Shishka said:
but without teh fack-lon how will i fly like active rooster??
:lol

Just read "Feast of Bones". So glad to hear something from Robt - I've been dying to hear something from him because I know he's an Ancient. Just from talking to him about Cold Storage with Cocop a couple years back at Bungie about the monitor on the ceiling, I gathered his gift was definitely knowing everything there is about Halo. Nice dude too to boot.

Some good little tidbits of info I gathered:

- "Fictionally the Flood’s true roots will likely never be unearthed" - well crap. I wanted to know where the "Extra Galactic" origins were and where it came from (engineered or evolved?). I sincerely hope by true roots he just means how they came up with the idea in the first place.

- "...these colonies went offline and your group was sent in to…” - Noooooo tell us more please!

ManCannon said:
And yeah, another podcast is not coming out this week. We did get another one in the can already but it's actually meant as a supplemental special edition show, it's not a "regular" podcast. It's something new we're trying to spin up, a periodic retrospective series. We'll still have a regular podcast for April though and we're going to try and cram it full of multiplayer beta goodness.

Ah, I was mistakenly under the impression that the extra podcast was just a bleed-over from the one this week. Thanks for clearing that up and I'm looking forward to hearing the retrospectives (whatever they're about). So excited to read about this new info.

*excited face*

feel

ManCannon said:
And I hate to be the bearer of potentially bad news...but I also feel bad when I see so much intense excitement and anticipation when I know the outcome. So, spoiler:
Good news actually. I'd rather have a go at it for the first time when I play the campaign on release.

Wizman23

Banned
ManCannon said:
Mid-June. Apparently there's some big thing going on in Los Angeles at that time.

I hope you guys take a step back from Halo 3 in regards to what you reveal for the Reach campaign. I think 3 of the 9 campaign levels were revealed in the Summer of 2007, including the scarab battle which would have been 10,000 times more awesome if we didn't know about it.

Unfortunately for Bungie, Morello leaked
an optional 3-way boss battle with giant Reach wildlife and Covenant
, which was probably intended to be such a surprise.

wwm0nkey

ManCannon said:

Hmmm that big event should be fun this year then.

You just ruined my hopes and dreams of jacking a
Falcon out of the sky with my
Jetpack....oh well atleast we get the Jetpacks.

ManCannon said:
Today's story will surface on Game Informer.com - not sure of the timing, we got the interview and a truck load of assets over to them a little late yesterday so I reckon it will take some time to get it all gussied up and posted.

If Monday's podcat wasn't a big enough hint, this week is Reach Multiplayer Beta Sandbox Week. (sorry, that doesn't include Invasion... stay tuned). Next week: The Maps of the Reach Beta.

And yeah, another podcast is not coming out this week. We did get another one in the can already but it's actually meant as a supplemental special edition show, it's not a "regular" podcast. It's something new we're trying to spin up, a periodic retrospective series. We'll still have a regular podcast for April though and we're going to try and cram it full of multiplayer beta goodness.
Great stuff. Hopefully we'll find out about the changes to the AR this time around.

ManCannon said:

vaderno.gif. Ah well. I guess it's best to experience a vehicle for the first time in campaign than in multiplayer.

ManCannon said:
And I hate to be the bearer of potentially bad news...but I also feel bad when I see so much intense excitement and anticipation when I know the outcome.
And the fact that you (and Eric) posted and clarified is great, it is appreciated.

I can wait for the Falcon, and I must *high five* Ghaleon for his mini-description of the first time with the Hornet, it's a fantastic moment, helps make Covenant even better.

wwm0nkey said:
Hmmm that big event should be fun this year then.

You just ruined my hopes and dreams of jacking a
Falcon out of the sky with my
Jetpack....oh well atleast we get the Jetpacks.
Yeah... about them... :/

:p

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Too bad about the Falcon not being in the beta, but better to find out now than later...

Gonna do a bit of working out, and hopefully the Game Informer stuff is up by the time I'm done!

raphier

Banned
2zznt6q.jpg

That helmet looks terribly low-budget (lens-flares aside). Look at white scratches on it, they look unprofessional, so to say :lol

I am calling it: live-action tv ad akin to ODST.

ManCannon

Pennybags said:
Overdoziz of HBO posted a link to a French article containing new Reach info/renders.

Game Informer has the same assets (shame they couldn't get out before this French site was discovered, they were warned) but they have a much meatier interview IMO.

feel

AAAARGHH FRENCH HALOGAF GOGOGOGOGO!!

edit- wait, I do understand a bit of French, I'll just go and read it myself.

edit2- :O :O *drooooools* @ images

And fuck my french reading skills, I can't understand a thing, and I don't want to read the butchered google translate version, magni hurry up! :D

GhaleonEB

The weapon detailing is just insane. 0_o

The three new Covenant weapons all look great, but hot damn at the new plasma rifle. It actually looks fearsome.

Pennybags

ManCannon said:
Game Informer has the same assets (shame they couldn't get out before this French site was discovered, they were warned) but they have a much meatier interview IMO.

Can't wait!

GhaleonEB said:

The three new Covenant weapons all look great, but hot damn at the new plasma rifle. It actually looks fearsome.

The Covenant weapons seem to be much more angular than before. They look downright vicious.

Magni

Letters said:
AAAARGHH FRENCH HALOGAF GOGOGOGOGO!!

Je suis le seul, non?

Alright, the first questions have no new info, then there's this:

jeuxvideo.com > Nous avons entendu parler des Armor Abilities (capacités d'armure). Quelles sont-elles et comment les obtient-on ?

We've heard about Armor Abilities. What are they and how do we get them?

Brian Jarrard : Les Spartan Armor Abilities sont une nouveauté apportée au "bac à sable" Halo Reach. Dans Halo 3, les joueurs pouvaient ramasser de l'équipement à usage unique pouvant être utilisé sur le champ de bataille pendant un court instant (par exemple, le Bubble Shield ou l'Energy Drainer). Dans Reach, nous avons remplacé cela par des capacités permanentes pouvant être utilisées et réutilisées durant toute la mission ou le match multijoueur.

They're something we've added to the sandbox for Reach. Instead of temporary Equipment pickups like in Halo 3, in Reach we'll have permanent abilities which will be usable throughout the campaign level or MP game.

Quelques-unes des nouvelles capacités seront accessibles dans la prochaine bêta publique multijoueur. "Sprint" donnera aux Spartans une accélération significative permettant au joueur de se déplacer rapidement entre différents points de couverture ou de réduire la distance avec un adversaire. "Evade" est une capacité Elite qui laisse le joueur utiliser leur fameuse roulade pour éviter le danger. "Armor Lock" est un petit bouclier portable qui englobe le joueur pour lui donner une courte invulnérabilité tout en causant des dégâts EMP aux ennemis proches. Il y a aussi la capacité "Active Camo" qui fonctionne à peu près comme l'ancien power-up, et accorde une invisibilité temporaire aux joueurs. En parallèle, cette dernière brouille aussi tous les détecteurs de mouvements alentours, y compris le vôtre. Enfin, la capacité qui suscite certainement le plus d'excitation est le "Jet Pack". Celui-ci fonctionne exactement comme vous l'imaginez. Les joueurs peuvent maintenir un bouton pour activer la poussée et s'envoler dans les airs pour de courtes périodes.

Some of these will be available in the Beta. Sprint gives you a significant speed boost. Evade is an Elite-only AA, it's the barrel roll seen in the vidoc. Armor Lock is a small portable shield that surrounds the player, giving him a short invincibility, and delivering an EMP blast. Active Camo is like AC from H1/2/3, but it also works as a Radar Jammer. I'll jam the radars of other players, friendlies, enemies, and your own. And then, there's Jet Pack. I think you understand how this works. Holding down a button will enable players to fly up in the air for short amounts of time.

Toutes les capacités d'armure demandent de l'énergie pour être utilisées. Une jauge est affichée dans le HUD, lorsqu'elle est vide et qu'il n'y a donc plus d'énergie, il faudra attendre une courte période de refroidissement/recharge avant de réutiliser la capacité.

All these AA need energy to be used. A gauge is shown in the HUD, when it's empty, there's no more energy, and you'll need to wait a short amount of time for it to be full again.

Aucune de ces capacités n'est bloquée, toutes sont disponibles dès le départ. Le fait de jouer à la campagne ou au multijoueur influera sur les capacités disponibles et la manière de les choisir. Lors de la campagne, diverses capacités seront soit équipées dès le début soit à ramasser durant la mission. Pour les matches multijoueurs, les joueurs choisiront leurs capacités au départ (ou à leur respawn) en sélectionnant un "Load-Out" spécifique. Chaque option de Load-Out propose un couple arme/capacité d'armure différent.

None of the AAs are blocked, all are available from the get-go. Playing SP or MP will influence which AAs you can use, and how you pick them. In SP, AAs are available before starting the mission, or can then be picked up during the mission. In MP, players choose before the game (or before respawning) their specific Load Out. Each Load Out offers a different weapon/AA.

jeuxvideo.com > Pour revenir sur les Jet Packs, pourra-t-on voler durant l'intégralité de la campagne solo ?

Back to jetpacks, will we be able to use them during the whole SP?

Brian Jarrard : Les Jet Packs seront présents dans quelques parties de la campagne mais pas dans son intégralité, ni dans chaque mission. Différentes capacités d'armures seront accessibles durant la progression en fonction des enjeux de la mission en cours. En multijoueur, les capacités à choisir durant l'écran Load-Out seront dictées par la carte et le type de jeu. Le Jet Pack sera disponible dans la bêta publique. Dans la version finale, les joueurs pourront personnaliser leurs paramètres de jeu et choisir la place qu'occupera, ou non, le Jet Pack durant leurs parties.

Jetpacks will be featured in certain parts of the campaign, but not in all of it. Different AAs will be available in different levels, depending on what the mission needs. In MP, the AAs available for the Load Outs will be set by the gametype/map. Jetpacks will be in the beta. In the full game, players will be able to enable/disable Jetpacks in Custom Games.

GhaleonEB

Nutter said:
Weapon select for loadouts?

so Pistol or AR?, im guessing DMR wont be an option.
Sounds like pre-set configurations to mix up.

The active camo does scramble both your and the surrounding players radar, as I was hoping. Oh the paranoia that will follow. Radar jammer was one of my favorite, under-used pieces of equipment in Halo 3, and blending it with camo works well on a couple different levels.

And they named the laser after me. I'm flattered. :)

GhaleonEB said:

I couldn't tell what that flying Spartan was holding until I looked at the Elite. It's soooo awesome.

And holy crap at the Iron-Man-punching-the-floor-animation for armour lock. So good

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:

That's not the Plasma Rifle. That's new, too. :)

Top Bottom