• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

Thermite

ManCannon said:
This week's new Reach info should be droppin' tomorrow on account of there being some kind of conflict of interest commotion on Thursday(?).

Mystery pic is mysterious. If Frankie claims it's not them.. and it's a mystery to me.. who/what then!?

Awesome. Do you know if the new info is planned to release early in the morning or later on in the day?

Dirtbag

CrazedArabMan said:
So now we have a mysterious pic that no one knows anything about, and it's April Fools tomorrow, this all seems weird.

April's fools day is not tomorrow, unless that is the ultimate april's fools joke :lol

vhfive

ManCannon said:
This week's new Reach info should be droppin' tomorrow on account of there being some kind of conflict of interest commotion on Thursday(?).

Mystery pic is mysterious. If Frankie claims it's not them.. and it's a mystery to me.. who/what then!?
sweet :D

you need an avatar

Schmitty

Church RvB said:
I've been playing ODST lately. Is it just me or does anyone else LOOOOOOVE firefight? It's so much more intense than horde mode in Gears. I can't get enough of it. I really hope Reach has firefight.

And the RvB video. OMFG. As you can tell by my Username, I love RvB. But I've always loved Haloid too. The Monty Oum thing was fucking awesome. I did not expect a full on action scene to take place. Rooster Teeth is fucking awesome.

Also, if they don't announce what Invasion is tomorrow I'm gonna rage.
Firefight is either too easy or hard. I never found an in between that was fun to play. I think in a way, the skulls that made bullets do no damage to shields and mythic made things more frustratingly difficult, rather than fun. I just wanted an endless stream of enemies.

Ten-Song

Schmitty said:
Firefight is either too easy or hard. I never found an in between that was fun to play. I think in a way, the skulls that made bullets do no damage to shields and mythic made things more frustratingly difficult, rather than fun. I just wanted an endless stream of enemies.

Yeah, it's a fun mode to play with friends, but the way the skulls work, it actively makes the game less fun to play, and also less random at the same time. I would love some variant on it where skulls will turn on and off randomly, or you can elect to turn them off completely, but in its current form, I'll play it, and enjoy it up until I have to start punching people to get my shields back. That's fucking annoying every time it comes up.

vhfive

Schmitty said:
Blackeye is the sole reason I haven't returned to firefight

Firefights biggest issue is that it theoretically never ends.

We need a target to aim for. That combined with the stupid difficulty as Schmitty mentioned. You have it on easy and it goes for EVER.

Put it on normal and you get your ass kicked pretty quick. Forget anything worse.

big ander

user_nat said:
So they gave you a new card and you still have to old one?

So you got 1600ms points for free. Nice.
Nope, had to return the other one. :/
ManCannon said:

Thanks for the hype ske7ch :D :D

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Firefights biggest issue is that it theoretically never ends.

We need a target to aim for. That combined with the stupid difficulty as Schmitty mentioned. You have it on easy and it goes for EVER.

Put it on normal and you get your ass kicked pretty quick. Forget anything worse.

This sums it up exactly. In theory, for me, Firefight should be vastly superior to Horde mode, but I actually prefer the latter because the leveling and ultimate end game provide a more tangible sense of accomplishment.

I really hope Bungie adds a bunch of sub-objectives or challenges to Firefight (e.g., bludgeon five consecutive Elites with the Brute hammer) in addition to clearly defined levels and an eventual "end game."

Striker

Firefight just didn't cut it for me. The skulls added some element to the table, but the blood being smeared on the visor also sucked big time. Then there's the limit to time and how it took forever. Not very fun. Would have been much better with more open maps that contained vehicles.

Rather Reach stick with what we have so far, and Invasion is the style of Spartans vs. Elites battles.

GhaleonEB

ManCannon said:

Things are getting out of hand here. :lol

I love this phase of game reveals. Constant trickle of teases, reveals, buckets of love. w00t

Heretic

that image reminded me of this g4 (?) video

MCBeer.gif

GhaleonEB said:
Things are getting out of hand here. :lol

I love this phase of game reveals. Constant trickle of teases, reveals, buckets of love. w00t
The trickle seems fruitier this time around. And it's more of a steady "gush".

Trasher

Ramirez said:
I really hope it's not some lame April Fools stuff, worst "holiday" ever.
Putting money on it that it is sadly.

Bungie: "Hahaha it's gonna be SO funny when we tell them that MC is actually in Reach! *chuckle chuckle chuckle* Best joke EVAR!"

Helmet in that picture looks like this one btw:
master_chief_costume.jpg

Which is apparently a Master Chief collectors costume which you can buy for the small price of 750 US dollars.

http://www.urban-collector.com/machcoco.html

The scuffing on the helmet even looks the same as the one in the mysterious picture.

Ten-Song

Trasher said:
Putting money on it that it is sadly.

Bungie: "Hahaha it's gonna be SO funny when we tell them that MC is actually in Reach! *chuckle chuckle chuckle* Best joke EVAR!"

Or some kind of lame Halo/Pimps at Sea crossover joke.

Dani said:
:D ... :0

Changing the topic.

I hope the Elephant is either seriously recoded or removed from Reach. Everyone has experienced some strange un-pachyderm behaviour from these things at some point.

My recent encounters in video form;

Crazy Elephant
Crazy Elephant 2
That was the best Sandtrap game ever.
I'm the guy hiding behind the glass screen that teleports out into the air, runs, hides and stays safe behind the screen while you're being gunned down and then teleports through the screen, sticking me on top of a laser which I promtly grab and stop the flag.
If it wasn't for that laser I would've been so screwed; that Elephant was REALLY determined to get me killed at the hands of the hog.

Second video: Wow... I knew you were launched off into the minefield but didn't know it was right then. I was the guy driving and on my screen the Elephant was perfectly still, I couldn't even get it to turn. :(
Love the bit where the Elephant rushes up to the camera, spins and then returns back to it's spazzing on the floor. Game definitely look more exciting from your perspective.
What I saw was tame in comparison.

derFeef

Ramirez said:
I really hope it's not some lame April Fools stuff, worst "holiday" ever.
Hope not. How lame would that be, to tease an april fools joke... Maybe the make a "joke" announcment tomorrow and the real stuff comes the day after. ?

fedit: for some reason the pic looks real rather than CG to me.

*shrugs*
Considering how good they have been doling out the info I think they've earned a few jokes at our expense.
It's probably a small video, maybe just something Brian & Eric have done, tour of the new studio maybe.

Roll on new Beta info :D

GodfatherX said:
Didn't the latest podcast talk about an upcoming vidoc?
Yes, for sometime in April.... (but it did sound like it was 2 or 3 weeks away, right? O_O).

metareferential said:
So, what about a prequel episode where we play as the Chief?

It's absolutely impossible, I know, but it would drive people insane xD
.... *swears loudly which echoes throughout the Computer Science building*
Don't tease me, bro.

Heretic said:
that image reminded me of this g4 (?) video

MCBeer.gif

I prefer this one, personally. :D

OMasterChief.gif

Zeouterlimits said:
*shrugs*
Considering how good they have been doling out the info I think they've earned a few jokes at our expense.
It's probably a small video, maybe just something Brian & Eric have done, tour of the new studio maybe.

Roll on new Beta info :D
That seems like the best answer so far. Can't wait for the info drop today.

Gui_PT

Tashi0106 said:
Yea on my main :(

I won't be streaming until I get my 50 back. I'll definitely get it back this week. Matchmaking is tricky sometimes lol.

Let me know when you're streaming again, will ya?

Watching you makes me feel like I can actually play =)

=(

Roquentin

I had a dream last night that new vidoc was called "Netcode" and featured a cut-scene showing huge spaceship. All accompanied by new piece of music composed by Marty.

That must be connected to the announcement ;)

Wizman23

Banned
electricpirate said:
This week rocks, 2 Podcasts, more info on the mainline IV drip, and some other announcement :D

I asked this yesterday but got no response so i'll ask again. Are we for sure getting another podcast this week?

ManCannon said:

I love waking up and reading a post like this. I guess that means the last podcast is today. Is something going to happen on Thursday?

Wizman23 said:
Still confused by that wording from Urk wether or not another one is coming this week or not

ManCannon said:

That was posted yesterday evening. Does it specifically mean podcast? Probably, but at the very least today is More Information Day. :D

feel

It's coming today, last day of March. They said March would see the release of 3 podcasts, and since the first of the three was the February one, they were actually talking about podcasts that release in March, and not just March themed podcasts releasing whenever. Or maybe urk fails at reading a calendar I dunno.

The article in some non Bnet site comes during the day, followed by the podcast which discusses the same new info
loadouts in-depth look
a couple of hours later. Makes sense.

Letters said:
It's coming today, last day of March. They said March would see the release of 3 podcasts, and since the first of the three was the February one, they were actually talking about podcasts that release in March, and not just March themed podcasts releasing whenever. Or maybe urk fails at reading a calendar I dunno.

The article in some non Bnet site comes during the day, followed by the podcast which discusses the same new info
loadouts in-depth look
a couple of hours later. Makes sense.
IGN has been mysteriously absent with their scooping of Reach. Not that I mind; I find their journalism hackneyed at best. I'd love to hear more from EDGE as info drops.

Dax01 said:
I love waking up and reading a post like this. I guess that means the last podcast is today. Is something going to happen on Thursday?
I assumed he meant they wouldn't reveal it tomorrow because it's April Fools Day.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
squidhands said:
I prefer this one, personally. :D

OMasterChief.gif

That seems like the best answer so far. Can't wait for the info drop today.
Link to full video please?

Top Bottom