• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

kylej

Banned
Respawn loadouts? Hope you can't select a different perk like camo or jetpack or sprint every time you spawn. Different perks would be beneficial at different times of the match.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
halo-reach-xbox-360-094.jpg

I thought the writing said Ghaleon for a second. :lol

Dani said:
http://image.jeuxvideo.com/images/x3/h/a/halo-reach-xbox-360-094.jpg[/IMG

I thought the writing said Ghaleon for a second. :lol[/QUOTE]
I hope by including this picture with talk about the MP means that the laser is in multiplayer. If so: :(

GhaleonEB

urk said:
That's not the Plasma Rifle. That's new, too. :)
OH SHIT
Dani said:
halo-reach-xbox-360-094.jpg

I thought the writing said Ghaleon for a second. :lol
Yeah, like I said on the last page, I'm flattered. I think that means I get dibs on it in any GAF match we play.

halo-reach-xbox-360-113.jpg

This just looks ridiculously badass.

Magni

The rest of the article is pretty standard. Since I'm not sure if this is new or not..

Assassinations can be done from MOST sides. Both players are vulnerable during the third person animation.

FOR THE NEW PAGE

Letters said:
AAAARGHH FRENCH HALOGAF GOGOGOGOGO!!

Je suis le seul, non?

Alright, the first questions have no new info, then there's this:

jeuxvideo.com > Nous avons entendu parler des Armor Abilities (capacités d'armure). Quelles sont-elles et comment les obtient-on ?

We've heard about Armor Abilities. What are they and how do we get them?

Brian Jarrard : Les Spartan Armor Abilities sont une nouveauté apportée au "bac à sable" Halo Reach. Dans Halo 3, les joueurs pouvaient ramasser de l'équipement à usage unique pouvant être utilisé sur le champ de bataille pendant un court instant (par exemple, le Bubble Shield ou l'Energy Drainer). Dans Reach, nous avons remplacé cela par des capacités permanentes pouvant être utilisées et réutilisées durant toute la mission ou le match multijoueur.

They're something we've added to the sandbox for Reach. Instead of temporary Equipment pickups like in Halo 3, in Reach we'll have permanent abilities which will be usable throughout the campaign level or MP game.

Quelques-unes des nouvelles capacités seront accessibles dans la prochaine bêta publique multijoueur. "Sprint" donnera aux Spartans une accélération significative permettant au joueur de se déplacer rapidement entre différents points de couverture ou de réduire la distance avec un adversaire. "Evade" est une capacité Elite qui laisse le joueur utiliser leur fameuse roulade pour éviter le danger. "Armor Lock" est un petit bouclier portable qui englobe le joueur pour lui donner une courte invulnérabilité tout en causant des dégâts EMP aux ennemis proches. Il y a aussi la capacité "Active Camo" qui fonctionne à peu près comme l'ancien power-up, et accorde une invisibilité temporaire aux joueurs. En parallèle, cette dernière brouille aussi tous les détecteurs de mouvements alentours, y compris le vôtre. Enfin, la capacité qui suscite certainement le plus d'excitation est le "Jet Pack". Celui-ci fonctionne exactement comme vous l'imaginez. Les joueurs peuvent maintenir un bouton pour activer la poussée et s'envoler dans les airs pour de courtes périodes.

Some of these will be available in the Beta. Sprint gives you a significant speed boost. Evade is an Elite-only AA, it's the barrel roll seen in the vidoc. Armor Lock is a small portable shield that surrounds the player, giving him a short invincibility, and delivering an EMP blast. Active Camo is like AC from H1/2/3, but it also works as a Radar Jammer. I'll jam the radars of other players, friendlies, enemies, and your own. And then, there's Jet Pack. I think you understand how this works. Holding down a button will enable players to fly up in the air for short amounts of time.

Toutes les capacités d'armure demandent de l'énergie pour être utilisées. Une jauge est affichée dans le HUD, lorsqu'elle est vide et qu'il n'y a donc plus d'énergie, il faudra attendre une courte période de refroidissement/recharge avant de réutiliser la capacité.

All these AA need energy to be used. A gauge is shown in the HUD, when it's empty, there's no more energy, and you'll need to wait a short amount of time for it to be full again.

Aucune de ces capacités n'est bloquée, toutes sont disponibles dès le départ. Le fait de jouer à la campagne ou au multijoueur influera sur les capacités disponibles et la manière de les choisir. Lors de la campagne, diverses capacités seront soit équipées dès le début soit à ramasser durant la mission. Pour les matches multijoueurs, les joueurs choisiront leurs capacités au départ (ou à leur respawn) en sélectionnant un "Load-Out" spécifique. Chaque option de Load-Out propose un couple arme/capacité d'armure différent.

None of the AAs are blocked, all are available from the get-go. Playing SP or MP will influence which AAs you can use, and how you pick them. In SP, AAs are available before starting the mission, or can then be picked up during the mission. In MP, players choose before the game (or before respawning) their specific Load Out. Each Load Out offers a different weapon/AA.

jeuxvideo.com > Pour revenir sur les Jet Packs, pourra-t-on voler durant l'intégralité de la campagne solo ?

Back to jetpacks, will we be able to use them during the whole SP?

Brian Jarrard : Les Jet Packs seront présents dans quelques parties de la campagne mais pas dans son intégralité, ni dans chaque mission. Différentes capacités d'armures seront accessibles durant la progression en fonction des enjeux de la mission en cours. En multijoueur, les capacités à choisir durant l'écran Load-Out seront dictées par la carte et le type de jeu. Le Jet Pack sera disponible dans la bêta publique. Dans la version finale, les joueurs pourront personnaliser leurs paramètres de jeu et choisir la place qu'occupera, ou non, le Jet Pack durant leurs parties.

Jetpacks will be featured in certain parts of the campaign, but not in all of it. Different AAs will be available in different levels, depending on what the mission needs. In MP, the AAs available for the Load Outs will be set by the gametype/map. Jetpacks will be in the beta. In the full game, players will be able to enable/disable Jetpacks in Custom Games.

Nutter

MagniHarvald said:
The rest of the article is pretty standard. Since I'm not sure if this is new or not..

Assassinations can be done from all sides. Both players are vulnerable during the third person animation.
So even if the player is facing towards you, you can assassinate them? [Not sure if want]

GhaleonEB

Dirtbag said:
It looks like a restyled plasma rifle, but hey. Urk would know. There's definatly some significant design changes, even if the firing end is similar.

n5sebb.jpg

As for assassinations being done from all sides, DEFINITELY do not want. That's the "players approaching while holding down mêlée and waiting to see who gets it off first" nightmare scenario we talked about before. And the new shield delimiter for mêlée damage will just encourage those kinds of dances.

MagniHarvald said:

Assassinations can be done from all sides. Both players are vulnerable during the third person animation.
How's that going to work? Do not want.

JaggedSac

Great info. Loadouts is a fairly large change to the Halo formula. Cannot wait to get my hands on the beta.

EDIT: And WOW at the detail on those models. Fantastic work guys.

Magni

Nutter said:
So even if the player is facing towards you, you can assassinate them? [Not sure if want]

Il y a plusieurs types d'assassinats et d'animations en fonction de la position du joueur - vous pouvez approcher votre victime par le côté, dans le dos, par les airs, etc

It doesn't say from in front in the quote, but it says "etc." I still don't think it means from in front though.

Edited my original post, sorry for any confusion.

Schmitty

MagniHarvald said:
It doesn't say from in front in the quote, but it says "etc." I still don't think it means from in front though.

Hopefully not

Merguson

Banned
MagniHarvald said:

Didn't we see an assassination with two players facing each other right at the beginning of the MP trailer?

UltimaPooh said:
I imagine it would only work if you were close enough to the other player.
Still though, in Halo 3 there are a lot of situations when you walk around a corner with a guy right in your face. I don't want that to become whoever can press the B button quicker wins.

Sai-kun

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
OH SHIT

Yeah, like I said on the last page, I'm flattered. I think that means I get dibs on it in any GAF match we play.

This just looks ridiculously badass.

sharp knees, do not want

but otherwise

FUCK YEAH SPARTAN LASER :D :D :D :D

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I took a short break to see if anything was posted, and I wasn't disappointed! :D

The detail is just sick - Halo always had detailed weapons but man, the upped poly-count is showing them off on a whole other scale now...

And I had a feeling that the assassinations weren't just restricted to the back, since we saw that Spartan get socked/stabbed in the gut in the trailer...

From the trailer I already knew that I would be using the shield/blast the most, reading that it's an EMP blast makes it all the sweeter, just need to know if it affects radars as well or something too...

Nice to get the camo info cleared up, it scrambles both yours and everyone else's radar (in the area I assume) - perfect for objective matches with everyone spread out at different entrances...

Those new weapons are looking so good man, now to see what they do...

xDangerboy said:
Maybe there is some kind of prerequisite required to use any assassination that isn't from behind.
Maybe the stun feature that Sage mentioned has to be in effect to perform the assassination from anywhere other than from behind.

AwesomeSyrup said:
Still though, in Halo 3 there are a lot of situations when you walk around a corner with a guy right in your face. I don't want that to become whoever can press the B button quicker wins.

I agree that could become a problem, but also the animation is going to be a little time consuming leaving the assassinator open to fire from shotguns and other quick kill weapons. So if you and a partner ran into one dude around the corner he might rethink such a situation.

Becoming able to assassinate from the front would ruin and break the aspect entirely. I don't think Bungie is looking to make stupid decisions.

Not sure how I feel about being able to choose your armor ability and weapon before spawning. The entire feel of halo and its weapon balance is based on there being only a certain number of them in each game. It's going to feel like CoD MW2.

And if you are able to choose both, which still doesn't make sense to me, they're going to have to balance the armor abilities and recharge based on your weapon. Or else people will always choose the best. All that sounds like unnecessary work when they could just stick to the Halo formula. :/

xDangerboy said:
Maybe there is some kind of prerequisite required to use any assassination that isn't from behind.
Perhaps something along the lines of the player needing to be without shields.

They mentioned in the pod cast that a melee to an enemy with no shields is always a kill. So perhaps if you come at someone from the front and they have no shields you can do the assassination (since it would be just the same to punch/kill them).

I worded that poorly, but hopefully it makes enough sense.

Basically -
No Shields + holding melee = assassination
Shield + holding melee = punch and nothing further

edit: beaten by pennybags

JaggedSac

I am sure a single tap melee would negate an execution move. So if you don't want someone to do it, pop them with a melee. Perhaps even peppering them with shots would also make it stop.

UltimaPooh said:
I agree that could become a problem, but also the animation is going to be a little time consuming leaving the assassinator open to fire from shotguns and other quick kill weapons. So if you and a partner ran into one dude around the corner he might rethink such a situation.
Yeah I know, I was just talking about one on one situations only.

NJ Shlice

The assassination requires holding the melee button. So if someone taps the melee button and the other person holds the melee button. Then the melee would strike first and hopefully cancel the assassination.

Schmitty

FunkyMunkey said:
Becoming able to assassinate from the front would ruin and break the aspect entirely. I don't think Bungie is looking to make stupid decisions.

Not sure how I feel about being able to choose your armor ability and weapon before spawning. The entire feel of halo and its weapon balance is based on there being only a certain number of them in each game. It's going to feel like CoD MW2.

And if you are able to choose both, which still doesn't make sense to me, they're going to have to balance the armor abilities and recharge based on your weapon. Or else people will always choose the best. All that sounds like unnecessary work when they could just stick to the Halo formula. :/
I don't think the weapon loadouts will vary too much. I don't think people will be spawning with rocket launchers.

I guess we'll have to wait for the GameInformer article to clear some things up.

While I like the idea of Loadouts and being able to switch abilities while respawning, I'd hope the options are fairly generic/standardized. Besides the armor abilities, being able to pick between magnum and AR is about as much as I want people to do before they pop into the game. No choosing to spawn with the sniper, for heaven's sake. I presume Bungie aren't that foolish.

GhaleonEB said:
Sounds like pre-set configurations to mix up.

The active camo does scramble both your and the surrounding players radar, as I was hoping. Oh the paranoia that will follow. Radar jammer was one of my favorite, under-used pieces of equipment in Halo 3, and blending it with camo works well on a couple different levels.

And they named the laser after me. I'm flattered. :)
Hah, It's been the Galilean Nonlinear rifle since it was announced before Halo 3 silly, after Galileo - the great scientist/physicist of the Scientific Revolution. Not Ghaleon, god of HaloGAF.

NJ Shlice said:
The assassination requires holding the melee button. So if someone taps the melee button and the other person holds the melee button. Then the melee would strike first and hopefully cancel the assassination.
If this is the case, then Americans are going to be getting free assassinations on everyone else, all the time.

(Sort of how they get free melees and headshots on everyone else in Halo 3...)

Magni

Shake Appeal said:
I guess we'll have to wait for the GameInformer article to clear some things up.

While I like the idea of Loadouts and being able to switch abilities while respawning, I'd hope the options are fairly generic/standardized. Besides the armor abilities, being able to pick between magnum and AR is about as much as I want people to do before they pop into the game. No choosing to spawn with the sniper, for heaven's sake. I presume Bungie aren't that foolish.

Read my translation ;)

me said:
In MP, the AAs available for the Load Outs will be set by the gametype/map.

I don't think Bungie would let let people choose to spawn with a RL :lol Of course for CGs that's different.

MagniHarvald said:
Read my translation ;)

I don't think Bungie would let let people choose to spawn with a RL :lol Of course for CGs that's different.
Ahhh.

Well in that case you could have a custom game, for example, called "Heavies" or something, where players can choose to spawn with, for example, either a rocket launcher or a grenade launcher. Or a snipers match where they can choose between the human and alien rifles when spawning.

That's if I'm understanding it correctly.

Magni

Shake Appeal said:
Ahhh.

Well in that case you could have a custom game, for example, called "Heavies" or something, where players can choose to spawn with, for example, either a rocket launcher or a grenade launcher. Or a snipers match where they can choose between the human and alien rifles when spawning.

That's if I'm understanding it correctly.

Well, if I understood correctly, then you're understanding it correctly :lol

ManCannon

xDangerboy said:
yeah. Im really curious
worried
how this works

No assassinations from the front. Lost in translation I think.

Urk will once again use the BWU on Friday to clear up any incorrect facts, clarify confusing points and address additional questions.

GhaleonEB

Major Williams said:
Hah, It's been the Galilean Nonlinear rifle since it was announced before Halo 3 silly, after Galileo - the great scientist/physicist of the Scientific Revolution. Not Ghaleon, god of HaloGAF.
Whatev, I still got dibs on that bitch.

Top Bottom