• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Apple iPad | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCfiner

Tedesco! said:
I assume the iPad works with VLC?
? What do you mean by that?

You sure as hell cant install vlc on the ipad if that's what you're thinking. :lol

But anything transcoded with vlc to an iPad friendly format on your pc can then be synced to the iPad using iTunes.

I hope this info isn't freaking you out right now

Tedesco!

LCfiner said:
? What do you mean by that?

You sure as hell cant install vlc on the ipad if that's what you're thinking. :lol

But anything transcoded with vlc to an iPad friendly format on your pc can then be synced to the iPad using iTunes.

I hope this info isn't freaking you out right now

It's not. It just confirmed my belief that I probably won't be getting purchasing an iPad anytime soon. I'm not knocking the iPad, I don't intend to rile anyone up, but I just don't see it being something practical for me to purchase right now.

And for the record, I did use one while I was at the Apple store waiting for them to fix my phone. It's nice, but just not worth it IMO.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Welp, I just bought the Dodocase moleskine. The 4 weeks delivery doesn't leave me with a lot of hope but maybe I'll have impressions in a few weeks.

mrkgoo

LCfiner said:
You can buy books with the us account because you are physically located in the us. I am not and it does an ip check to make sure where I'm located. Abc and netflix apps do the same thing and lock me out of the content regardless of my account country.

Damnit. So it DOES do an IP check?

One reason I bought it was because I wanted iBooks. I will not be in the US forever.

Tobor said:
Ars Technica has finally posted their review. Reading it now.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2010/04/ipad-review.ars

I haven't read all of the article but it seems the author is in agreement with the majority. The iPad sets a new standard of mobile devices, it isn't perfect, won't replace everyones laptop, does many things very well and some things not so much. Like the iPhone, it will be interesting to see where the iPad is taken in the next year or so.

antispin

So that WiFi issue some seem to be having. Is it fixed via "Ask to Join (OFF)"? Are we looking at hardware recalls/exchange here, or a s/w fix? I ask because I might be importing. If the planets align.

LCfiner

mrkgoo said:
Damnit. So it DOES do an IP check?

One reason I bought it was because I wanted iBooks. I will not be in the US forever.

I was totally wrong about this. I double checked and it doesn't. It locked me out before because I was logged in with my normal Canadian account. When I tried now with the us account it let me in the store and I downloaded some free books and samples.

Sorry for the confusion

antispin said:
So that WiFi issue some seem to be having. Is it fixed via "Ask to Join (OFF)"? Are we looking at hardware recalls/exchange here, or a s/w fix? I ask because I might be importing. If the planets align.
I don't think that would fix it, as the wifi seems to completely shut down, then reactivate itself and find my hotspot.

it will be an exchange for me. may be a return. depends on how I feel after the impulse-buy excitement has worn off and I've been able to really analyze whether this was $650 well spent or if I should put that towards a bigass SSD drive for my laptop.

see5harp

Okay I cracked today and messed around and bought a 32 gigger. I feel like this has to be said....there are basically like 3 books I'd buy there. Not a single Jonathan Lethem novel. Not a single Chabon. Hopefully they publishers can get some decent books up soon because right now it's a repository for some horrible ass shit that I'd never pay money for.

antispin

see5harp said:
Okay I cracked today and messed around and bought a 32 gigger. I feel like this has to be said....there are basically like 3 books I'd buy there. Not a single Jonathan Lethem novel. Not a single Chabon. Hopefully they publishers can get some decent books up soon because right now it's a repository for some horrible ass shit that I'd never pay money for.

Try the Kindle app

see5harp

antispin said:
Try the Kindle app

For now, I'm just gonna grab some random free pdfs and figure out how to add some books to my library. I like the actual app, I'm just hoping for some publisher support. It has been a few days, so I realize I'm a bitching a bit. I do like the actual app though.

Spruchy said:
Between yesterday and today 20+ strangers approached me about my pad. Mind you ive been reading in the park and riding the metro frequently. Most of them say "dayummm I need one of those".
that's the reaction i've been getting for the last 7 months with my tabletPC.

I don't even think most people knew the tabletPC segment existed.

Foob

I am too scared to take my iPad out of the safe arms of my house without a case.

Also, is the apple case really as bad as the ars review makes it out to be? I was thinking of getting that while waiting for the moleskine one.

Salazar

My resistance has essentially crumbled, thanks largely to GAF.

Now I wait for the Australian release. The Apple website is covered in boasts about the wonderfully low price, but they haven't actually set or disclosed a price yet - something I find predictable but pretty god damn shady.

The fact that the Kindle and MB Pro have been so terrific has me in a confident mood about portable tech.

see5harp said:
For now, I'm just gonna grab some random free pdfs and figure out how to add some books to my library. I like the actual app, I'm just hoping for some publisher support. It has been a few days, so I realize I'm a bitching a bit. I do like the actual app though.
http://calibre-ebook.com/

I really wish the TC could add that to their OP. someone's gonna ask it every day.

see5harp, you'll find converting from PDF to ePUB will be very easy.

Tobor said:

I liked this comment from the comics guy:

It's hard to have a conversation about digital comics without bringing up the reality of .cbr and .cbz files—the scanned, often pirated comics. "I think it's great whenever anyone gets into comics," he says at first. "Hopefully we'll provide a better experience so people will move over to a more legitimate purchase model. For me, we provide a better experience, and we make it easier for people to get comics, and that's how you beat it."

Blackhead

Redarse
Tobor said:

mR7Yi.jpg

o_O

mrklaw

MrArseFace
mrkgoo said:
I have a us account and a new zealad account. While I'm on my new Zealand account I can't access the AppStore or book store. However, when I log into my us account, I can access both.

But are you saying even though I can see the iBook store, I can't buy books?
shit, is this true? On my uk ipod touch i can access both my UK and US app store accounts. Do you think its being blocked or just something simple like it wants to access the NZ ipad store and there isnt one yet? Have you tried syncing apps bought from the NZ store to it?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Fixed2BeBroken said:
man, i would so buy this thing if it had flash and usb ports....I hope in future releases they just include those 2 things and id be all over it.
Don't bet on it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
see5harp said:

READ TWILIGHT BITCH

HunkyDory

Neo Member
see5harp said:

Is it possible to check the available books through a PC?

I'm mostly interested in the non-fiction selection, and a little worried that there won't be a great deal of what I'd be looking for.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
In the new spirit of freedom, apple fanboys remind me a lot of nintendo fanboys, conditioned to think that whatever they're given is the only acceptable mode of operation. Apple doesn't produce stuff like e-ink displays or multitasking tablets, so nobody should ever need one!

Hitokage said:
In the new spirit of freedom, apple fanboys remind me a lot of nintendo fanboys, conditioned to think that whatever they're given is the only acceptable mode of operation. Apple doesn't produce stuff like e-ink displays or multitasking tablets, so nobody should ever need one!

Its all about perspectives and trade offs. Apple delivers on a few core things consistently and if those are what an individual is looking for, it takes priority. Pointing out what a device doesn't have isn't useful in determining its worth.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Hitokage said:

hey well at least the multitasking might be answered tomorrow!

syllogism

Hitokage said:
Besides, whatever features it may presently be missing, will be obsolete before you even have time to miss them. Alternatively, I never liked those features anyway.

DarkJC

Mailenstein said:
Sometimes I wonder how you guys follow all the bannings. It's like your eyes are everywhere, unless you got some internal banlist. Crazy :lol

Well of course there is an internal log with the reasons behind them.

syllogism

Parts of that ars technica review read like an Onion article
Those who want to keep IRC running in the background are more out of luck, as are the users of practically anything else that you might normally keep in the background.
There is somewhat of a debate brewing over whether users really want this level of multitasking.
One of the reasons some of us like the iPad is because it forces us to stop trying (and usually failing) to do so much at once. Focusing on one task is mentally liberating
(Some—but not all—of us involved in this review actually want a computing device that actively forces us to multitask less when we're not working

antispin

Hitokage said:

Isn't that true of all fanboys?

"We don't need achievements and gamerscore" "OH WOW, TROPHIES!!" "Lol, motion controls" "OMG MOTION CONTROLS" Etc etc. Parroting the company line; or worse -- trying to defend it (here's why my fav product doesn't have: multi-tasking, Flash support, BC, (uses) friend code, force feedback...) is the worst thing to do to yourself.

Blackhead

Redarse
EviLore said:
Nah, please do your job. Speaking as someone who was banned earlier, I know how easy it is to cross the line—even when it's drawn clearly—and I shudder at the thought at how bad this thread could get without a strong hand. Moreover, it's really not fair that Kindle and iPad threads get a special dispensation from moderation... (or may I request the old uninspected Futbol thread back?)

Edit: whoa I hadn't checked out that Kindle thread yet to see the (many) trolls. The iPad thread would be empty if EviLore wielded the ban hammer. Maybe not such a good idea :lol

Second Edit: is part of the reason for changing the standards simply because you balked at having to apply them consistently?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
antispin said:
Isn't that true of all fanboys?

"We don't need achievements and gamerscore" "OH WOW, TROPHIES!!" "Lol, motion controls" "OMG MOTION CONTROLS" Etc etc. Parroting the company line; or worse -- trying to defend it (here's why my fav product doesn't have: multi-tasking, Flash support, BC, (uses) friend code, force feedback...) is the worst thing to do to yourself.
No, you're right. Sony fanboys tried to convince themselves force feedback wasn't important when the Sixaxis came out.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
OneEightZero said:
I think you did this backwards. The iPad trolls in that thread should share the bannings of their fellow fanboys. ^_^

Ban 100 people, or unban two? Far more convenient this way ;b

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
EviLore said:
I'd rather you banned 100 people (even if that means I get banned for whatever reason).

Seriously, the last thing any of these threads need are people just trolling to get a rise out of everyone.

I'd ask you to reconsider if that's an option.

EviLore said:

Begun, the tablet/ebook reader wars have.

Seriously. I don't know why there is such a fight between these two parties. They are two very different products IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom