• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 Final Boss and Ending (PS4, Spoilers)

This was posted in the thread for Jim's impressions, but it deserves its own thread.

https://youtu.be/xdCIrHWzXoE

It looks uh, real special.

Are you ready for baked Dr. Kelepk?

E2rW6Ga.png

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Slash to skip boss phase 1 hur hur
this is the game that finally made me stop backing crowd funded games
I mean sure your money and all, also I'm as bitter as most that backed this and I'm a bit tired of saying this again but I feel like the lesson here is more don't back Inafune than be anti kickstarter.
Shovel Knight, Shadowrun, Wasteland 2 are just a few among amazing kickstarter successes.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The question is: Why is the game a mess? Is it Inti Creates fault? Is it "Inafking"'s fault? Is it because expectations are way too high for this game like FFXV?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
After Capcom Konami'd Mega Man, I was extremely fucking sad. Mega Man and Castlevania are my top 2 favorite videogame franchises of all time. And both died gruesome deaths. But they came back. In bootleg Kickstarter form.

I was HYPED as all fuck for Mighty No 9. I mean...it's Mega Man! It's Keiji Inafune! It's what I've been waiting for ever since I finished Mega Man 10. The concept art was gorgeous. The first gameplay gif was glorious! I was going to get my Mega Man 11, that deep down I knew I was going to get no matter what.

Slashing wildly at thin fucking air. No attempts at dodging a pattern since the physics are broken and the hitboxes are shitty. Slashslashslashslash.

+5000 points. GOOD PLAY!

I...just can't. I can't,

icespide

Banned
Slash to skip boss phase 1 hur hur

I mean sure your money and all, also I'm as bitter as most that backed this and I'm a bit tired of saying this again but I feel like the lesson here is more don't back Inafune than be anti kickstarter.
Shovel Knight, Shadowrun, Wasteland 2 are just a few among amazing kickstarter successes.
my way of thinking now is, I'll iust wait and buy the game when it's actually out

DNAbro

The question is: Why is the game a mess? Is it Inti Creates fault? Is it "Inafking"'s fault? Is it because expectations are way too high for this game like FFXV?

It doesn't even look like a good mega man clone which is what people wanted/expected.

God that boss looked dull and boring. Slow, can only hit a certain times, no danger.

Uhm.

Is the first phase trying to go for a 'Yellow Devil' feel? Where it shoots out its mass and then...comes back...except it stays in one spot...and you can slash your way to no damage...?

I feel like expectations for this were "This is gonna be a solid Mega Man clone." This doesn't seem very hard to do, but....

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How exactly are expectations too high?

Well, from the initial showing of the very first artworks, people were super excited and think it would beat Megaman or something. :p

Inafune's head was too in the clouds and expected it to sell on his legacy alone.

I doubt it's Inti Creates fault.

Inafune.

I don't think people expected anything too ridiculous. They just expected a good Mega Man like game from one of the creators of Mega Man, instead it seems you got something that just wanted to wanted to make a bunch of money with something not set in stone, simply because who he is.

Well, from the initial showing of the very first artworks, people were super excited and think it would beat Megaman or something. :p

Beat? I think people just wanted a decent Mega Man clone since we haven't had a Mega Man game in awhile.

Moze

Banned
Is the person who uploaded this purposely trying to make it look bad or are there other difficulties and gameplay mechanics that can be used?

MilkBeard

Wow, this is rough. I've seen some other footage that didn't look to bad, and the ability looks kind of cool.

But what the hell is happening? It is executed in such a sloppy, disjointed way. He's just spamming the sword and not getting hit. Weird design. There's no indication that anything is happening while that shit is flying by.

EDIT: Dammit, the second stage is even worse. This is pretty terrible boss design.

Created by Inti Creates
Gunvolt:
HPc1vlV.gif

Mighty Gunvolt (MN9/Gunvolt crossover):
byCoWn4.gif

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero:
C0kfbkR.gif

I sincerely don't think Inti Creates is the problem here.

Strimei

Is the person who uploaded this purposely trying to make it look bad or are there other difficulties and gameplay mechanics that can be used?

For what its worth, someone else uploaded the same boss battle a few months ago, and it played out pretty much the same (though it didn't have the story elements in it).

So...its just that bad.

edit: Actually its from a month ago. Swear it was longer. Ah well, still.

ULTROS!

Beat? I think people just wanted a decent Mega Man clone since we haven't had a Mega Man game in awhile.

Was Might Gunvolt any good compared to Mega Man?

Was Might Gunvolt any good compared to Mega Man?

It's closer to Mega Man ZX. And yes it is, I wasn't a fan of it but it was for sure a good game in the spirit of that.

Inti made Mega Man 9 and 10 to boot, new 8 bit games to the original series. Honestly I think it was just poor direction by Inafune.

EDIT: Oh wait I realized you said Mighty Gunvolt, and not Azure Gunvolt. Yeah, that game was really good as an 8 bit Mega Man game. My first line was about Azure Gunvolt.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
mighty-no-9-concept-art.jpg

Because the game looks nothing like the concept art that sold everyone and, instead, plays as boring as it looks.

For 4 million I don't think expectation were too high, some devs also debunked the nonsense some people spread about how it could have never looked close the concept art for that money. And them spreading themselves too thin with 3ds and Vita is not on us, bad stretchgoal planning.

As for my personal expectation I thought someone with Inafune's pedigree/name would care enough to at least value good communication with the backers. If that would have been there I would be more kind, game development is hard I can empathize somewhat.

Instead radio silence and questionable things happening around Red Ash.
In that sense I feel very justified in being quite salty and harsh.

Also fairly sure that the story elements will suck and be annoying(judging by the backer demo). Money spend in the wrong places. Meanwhile the Plague Knight story manages to be full of charm without overlong cut scenes and voice acting.

Going to post that the player knew what he was doing and that's great BUT the fight took way too long

I'm also not that trilled about the final boss design but i like the fight patterns

Boss fight ended with a D rank which tells me there's a more efficient way to do it all that makes better use of all those powers you spend the game collecting. Still looks pretty middling.

Top Bottom