• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Standard Edition - $59.99
  • "Includes the ground-breaking game experience and manual."
Limited Edition - $79.99
In addition to the game disc and manual, this edition includes:
  • "Game disc housed in recovered ONI 'black box'."
  • "An exclusive Elite armor set for use in Multiplayer modes."
  • "Artifact bag containing Dr. Halsey's personal journal and other classified documents and effects that unravel long-held secrets from the Halo universe."
Legendary Edition - $149.99
The complete Halo: Reach collection. In addition to the game disc, manual, and the complete contents of the Limited Edition (i.e., so the game disc comes in the Oni 'black box'), the Legendary Edition includes:
  • "Noble Team statue expertly crafted by the artisans at McFarlane Toys. Individually molded, hand-painted, and individually numbered, this statue is a must-have for any serious Halo fan."
  • "UNSC-themed custom packaging."
  • "An exclusive Multiplayer Spartan armor effect."

Then you can see pictures of each individual edition. The statue looks really good.
Edit - The only sad thing I see about the SKUs is that there is no "Making of" and no Halo 3/ODST custcene commentary. :(

derFeef

Legendary Edition is tempting. May be the first time I buy such an expensive thing, but it is Bungie's (maybe) last Halo game - and what a game it is going to be.

Thermite

urk said:
For the beta, you need to play at least three ranked games to get your Daily. Three Dailies in a season will earn you a spot in a Division. Your Daily Rating can go up, since it's just an average of your three best games that day, but once you've been placed into a Division, the only way you'll move is via a population shift (i.e. A bunch of players place higher/lower than you after you are placed).

Ah, I think I understand. So, basically out of your 9 best beta games spread across 3 days (3 ranked games = 1 daily; 3 dailies determine a division) your divisional rank for that season will be set until the new season starts?

Also, for the population shift, do you mean (as an example) if you're set at the 1% in the Gold division and a lot of people happen to reach where you're at, you then get bumped into a lower tier of Onyx after that happens because you're no longer in the 1%?

EazyB

Banned
Those armor permutations and "effects" better not be exclusive. Everyone should be able to earn them using cR.

[Edit:] I must be understanding this Arena ranking thing incorrectly. So you basically don't want to touch the arena unless you plan on playing the shit out of it to get 3 incredibly high rated games. Or of course just play 3 sloppy games if you intentionally want to get a low rank. Are players in the arena matched according to their division rank and once you're in a division you're stuck there for the month? Is there any incentive to play it after being ranked? Are daily rating worth anything after being ranked?

Those extras sound kinda cool, although lack of behind the scenes stuff is pretty lame. Especially with the pricing.

Currently very slowly making my way through the Vidoc as I'm at work, got the sound off too. The Lukes are making some fantastic hand gestures :lol

Dax01 said:
Edit - The only sad thing I see about the SKUs is that there is no "Making of" and no Halo 3/ODST custcene commentary. :(
2u6ftlh.jpg

This is a crime.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Actually digging the Noble Team statue. Seriously didn't want to get anything other than the vanilla version but I think that might just push me over the edge.

Urgh, don't want to think about this when we're so close to the Beta yet so far away from proper release. >_<6

Ten-Song

Zeouterlimits said:
http://i46.tinypic.com/2u6ftlh.jpg

This is a crime.

Yeah, that's been the main seller for the limited editions in the past. Bungie always has the best making of stuff for their collectors editions. Not having that in any limited edition puts me right into the vanilla edition camp.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Haha - I just woke up, been so sick the last couple of days that I couldn't join in on the Reach GTTV goodness, checked my Youtube front page and saw through my subscriptions that Bungie uploaded a brand new ViDoc! :D

Still a bit sick but man that was enjoyable - Luke was giddy as hell the whole time too... nice :lol

Love the profile on the focus rifle when it's in your hands, looks just as mean as it does from the front and sides...

Glad to see the Mongoose back, but not only that, but there's fully-fledged racing and checkpoint support, complete with speedometers, damn Bungie!

Evade just looks better and better the more I see it in action I swear...

The UI design can't get enough praise - now it shows entire character setups and colors in an instant as you scroll through each player, when before we had to go through the menu a bit to see them...

Loved the little tease of the Covenant level they threw in there as well, thanks!

There's soooooo many more things in there to go on about, but I'm gonna end it hoping that Armor Lock is still as powerful as Luke has been going on about in that ViDoc :D. It's been the one I've been interested in from since I first read about it, especially since it suits my playstyle - always in the middle of the action, hating to hide and stay back...

Gonna watch this a few more times in higher quality on Bungie.net!

broony

Hasley's secret sack of wonder sounds cool. Love that type of shit.

I've bought the special/ legendary edition of all the Halos that had one so far so I guess I'm doing the same with this one. Will have to see how the price translates to pounds though.

Kibbles

Holy shit the vidoc is insane! I love how they just went all out. <3 I don't have time now but I'll try to make some gifs later, unless someone else makes a bunch by then.

Flipyap

Okay, this might sound a tiny bit gay, but I think I missed some parts of that ViDoc, because Luke Timmins is a distractingly pretty man.

Aaaaanyway, Elites vs Elites looks cool as hell. I'm glad too hear that they're getting some kind of customization.
Guess I'm not going with Legendary edition this time, Limited sounds nicer.

The statue being made by McFarlane Toys means it will be a high quality one, not like the shitty statues sold with Conviction, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, etc.

Flipyap

metareferential said:
The statue being made by McFarlane Toys means it will be a high quality one, not like the shitty statues sold with Conviction, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, etc.
I'd rather get the inevitable McFarlane Toys action figure that actually looks like my customized dude. Cheaper, cooler and to scale with the rest of my Halo dol-- ACTION FIGURES.

Flipyap said:
I'd rather get the inevitable McFarlane Toys action figure that actually looks like my customized dude. Cheaper, cooler and to scale with the rest of my Halo dol-- ACTION FIGURES.

Well, yes, but I can't miss on the legendary edition of the last Bungie's Halo (though I'm sure they will go back to Halo eventually).

EazyB

Banned
metareferential said:
Well, yes, but I can't miss on the legendary edition of the last Bungie's Halo (though I'm sure they will go back to Halo eventually).
I bet you your $150 Reach bundle that Bungie won't return to Halo.

Magni

EazyB said:

I'm sure there'll be another Bungie Halo game this century. Maybe not this gen or the next, but never? Nah.

Ten-Song

EazyB said:

Yeah, there would be no reason for Microsoft to invest so much into 343 if they were just going to yank Halo away from them at some point to hand it back.

Chinner said:
money flies out of your armour when you get shot

God, that would be so dumb. Who the hell would ever do something that stupid in a multiplayer game?

Flipyap

metareferential said:
Oops ...I take that back. The original description wasn't accurate at all. That's not a Noble 6 statue, that's the whole team.
I want that.

Dear Microsoft, do I bend over now, or should I wait until fall?

Ten-Song said:
Yeah, there would be no reason for Microsoft to invest so much into 343 if they were just going to yank Halo away from them at some point to hand it back.

Well I doubt they'd just give the franchise back to Bungie but I can see a few years down the line Bungie doing another one off game for the series. I don't see why not, having the originators of the series coming back after a break from it could only be a good thing.

S1kkZ

Diablohead said:
Regular edition for me thanks, H3 tin was shit and cheaply made with a bad disc holding design, biggest LE turn off ever.
^this!
i was so pissed when i got my le and every disc was scratched.

the reach limited/legendary editions are pretty lousy. no bonus dvd, no making of, no soundtrack, no behind the scenes, no commentary? almost 100$ more for a different case, a book and a statue?

Ten-Song

randomlyrossy said:
Well I doubt they'd just give the franchise back to Bungie but I can see a few years down the line Bungie doing another one off game for the series. I don't see why not, having the originators of the series coming back after a break from it could only be a good thing.

Again, Microsoft has an ENTIRE development team dedicated to eat sleep and breathe Halo 24/7, and I'm sure everyone at Bungie is dying to finally move onto something new. It makes no sense for them to farm it out again unless it'd be some really minuscule project like a Halo Wars sequel or some shit.

Diablohead said:
Regular edition for me thanks, H3 tin was shit and cheaply made with a bad disc holding design, biggest LE turn off ever.

I'd have to agree actually, my Halo 3 disc no longer works because of the shitty LE tin, that being said I'm sure they won't make that mistake twice.

It's the lack of special features like documentaries and such which will alter my buying decision this time. Unless of course I see this Noble Team statue and it's the most amazing thnig ever

randomlyrossy said:

This is what I was thinking.

But then who cares about it now, I'll be playing Reach for years.

Dreamcrusher Luke can you confirm if the 'alternative' BJ will make it into the game in some form. The version Popeck mentioned sounds like heaven.

The vidoc is amazing, can we get some .gifs please! :D

Just woke up to see the ViDoc :O And here I thought I'd sorted the morning wood problem this morning...

Gotta download HD for great justice.

randomlyrossy said:
I'd have to agree actually, my Halo 3 disc no longer works because of the shitty LE tin, that being said I'm sure they won't make that mistake twice.

It's the lack of special features like documentaries and such which will alter my buying decision this time. Unless of course I see this Noble Team statue and it's the most amazing thnig ever
Why did no one at bungie look at the tin before hand and think "this metal is a bit thin and might bend in transit and those dvd holders look a bit shitty"?

amazing.

Ten-Song said:
Again, Microsoft has an ENTIRE development team dedicated to eat sleep and breathe Halo 24/7, and I'm sure everyone at Bungie is dying to finally move onto something new. It makes no sense for them to farm it out again unless it'd be some really minuscule project like a Halo Wars sequel or some shit.

A few years might have been bad wording on my part. I was thinking a good while from now, maybe to the point of the later half of the next console generation.

Unless some unforseen circumstance down the line prevents it I can't see Bungie never coming back to Halo.

Ten-Song

randomlyrossy said:
A few years might have been bad wording on my part. I was thinking a good while from now, maybe to the point of the later half of the next console generation.

Unless some unforseen circumstance down the line prevents it I can't see Bungie never coming back to Halo.

That's kind of thinking about things in an isolated context though. I'm sure by that point Bungie will have created a new IP that Microsoft will want to whore out to no end like Halo and Gears. If they're already knee deep in sequels for something bigger and better, it wouldn't really matter if they went back to Halo. It'd just be something interesting because of the namesake and the development team, but ultimately it wouldn't mean anything other than Microsoft doesn't fully trust 343 with the brand.

Flipyap

S1kkZ said:
^this!
i was so pissed when i got my le and every disc was scratched.

the reach limited/legendary editions are pretty lousy. no bonus dvd, no making of, no soundtrack, no behind the scenes, no commentary? almost 100$ more for a different case, a book and a statue?
I think they're really cool. Documents written in a in-universe style are my favorite kind of limited edition goodies, so I don't mind the lack of a bonus DVD.
I never watch those more than once, and in some cases even that is too much (Mass Effect 2 Collector's Edition, I'm looking at you)

Ten-Song said:
That's kind of thinking about things in an isolated context though. I'm sure by that point Bungie will have created a new IP that Microsoft will want to whore out to no end like Halo and Gears. If they're already knee deep in sequels for something bigger and better, it wouldn't really matter if they went back to Halo. It'd just be something interesting because of the namesake and the development team, but ultimately it wouldn't mean anything other than Microsoft doesn't fully trust 343 with the brand.

I disagree. Obviously we don't know how things are going to go from here but I don't think MS will be owning the new IP that Bungie are working on or any others they'll make. Would kind've defeat the purpose of going independent.

I don't think having Bungie do a Halo game would be the vote of no confidence in 343 you seem to suggest. Having a Bungie who by that point has released a few non Halo (maybe non-fps?) games would be a great idea for all involved in my opinion.

Of course the main question would be whether Bungie actually wants to do another Halo game after Reach. Even if MS wanted them to at this point Bungie aren't obligated to (as far as we know Reach is their final obligation to MS in terms of Halo).

Ten-Song

randomlyrossy said:
I disagree. Obviously we don't know how things are going to go from here but I don't think MS will be owning the new IP that Bungie are working on or any others they'll make. Would kind've defeat the purpose of going independent.

Doesn't really matter if Bungie keeps the IP considering Microsoft gets first dibs on anything they make. Seems to me like the only way Bungie will get a game published by a third party is if they come up with a concept that Microsoft thinks won't sell or whatever. But considering what Bungie has done for the Xbox, I doubt Microsoft would deny the opportunity to get in on the ground floor with anything that comes out of the studio.

oh wow.. this multi player is going to be fucking awesome... that vidoc got my hyped.. i need to tell my ps3 friends they have to buy a 360 also goddammit :p

Top Bottom