• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
OMFG. Reach footage, YESSSSSS. :D

Only thing that has slightly bummed me out is the confirmation of simultaneous beatdowns, but I guess with the new shield system, it won't happen as often.

derFeef

I liked those.

reach_timedboom.gif

reach_dmr.gif

Raide

The Needle Rifle looks so awesome. :lol

Also, the Luke video showed off how people are going to use the Armour Lock. I know some think its OTT but some of those players looked super vulnerable when they used it in open spaces. :lol

I was late for work because I watched the entire GB vid before leaving :lol . Anyway, game looks great, and the pro pipe looks like it'll be my new favorite weapon.

Schmitty

Nothing like seeing a good Halo player. After cringing through Giantbomb's, Luke's video over at Gamesradar made my day.

Rockin' vids. Watched them all - I agree, Luke's play was much easier on the eyes than the other outlets.

Looks like the Pro Pipe's main fire mode does significantly more damage per round than the Brute Shot? Also, seems really weird to have the Grav Hammer as the ONLY Brute weapon in multiplayer. I guess all the other Brute weapons were considered redundant... I'm very curious on how Brutes will play out in the campaign. I mean, if they're in campaign what are they going to be carrying? Elite weapons?

FourDoor

LMAO @ Luke's trash talking in the video. Poor Joe Tung has no way to defend himself. :lol

And yes that needle rifle looks to be pretty bad ass. One thing I noticed quite a bit in the video was that there didn't need to be need/rush for any specific weapons (unless someone else was playing the sniper on Lukes team). This make me look forward to how the loadouts have changed gameplay.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Just watched the
Gold Tier
gameplay from Luke. I think that's the only video I'll be watching until the beta drops. I kind of want to go in fresh. I will say though the armor abilities, at least on that size of a map, appeared to be completely natural to the gameplay. We'll see when I get my hands on it though.

Raide

Son of Godzilla said:
How? Needing three hits after shields to combine seems absurd.

That is why Bungie are having a beta. If it owns too much, they will tweak it.

For some of these modes/maps, it will be a DMR vs Needle Rifle matches, since they both seem to destroy at long range. Obviously Evade, Camo and Armour Lock will make it much harder to land those 3 shots. I am sure AL will negate the detonation too.

Doodis

Schmitty said:
Nothing like seeing a good Halo player. After cringing through Giantbomb's, Luke's video over at Gamesradar made my day.
He makes it look so easy. All the more upsetting knowing how awful I am.

Falagard said:
The GamesRadar vid with Luke has the first video I've seen with vehicle hijacking - the wraith gets hijacked around 8:09 by a Spartan player, and then reverse hijacked by the Ellte.

Also, that's the best video released today by far.

Cool, that's awesome!

the giantbomb video is horrible solely due to the narration. whoever is talking 90% of the video sounds like a 16 year-old kid trying to make his voice deeper to the point where it's annoying. and a great idea to let the guy who knows least about the game do most of the talking. good shit

And none of them know wtf they're talking about the entire video. I've had more intelligent sounding conversions with people when everyone's stoned, and with less "uh's" and awkward pauses even. dudes sound like someone hit them in the heads with a shovel right before they recorded.

Genesis Knight said:
Also, seems really weird to have the Grav Hammer as the ONLY Brute weapon in multiplayer. I guess all the other Brute weapons were considered redundant... I'm very curious on how Brutes will play out in the campaign. I mean, if they're in campaign what are they going to be carrying? Elite weapons?
Expect Chieftains.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
being that i LOVE the carbine (even if its nerfed from the h3 beta), i'm dying to play with the neddle rifle. looks to be about the same but with the needler super-combine effect. eep

NG28

Can anyone clarify if armor lock works in mid air? In one of the joystiq vids (2:20 on ability video) I saw a spartan land really hard on the ground like iron man. I'm guessing its from armor lock or it just happens when falling from a high height, and I wonder if it will damage someone if you land on them.

Sai-kun

Banned
FourDoor said:
LMAO @ Luke's trash talking in the video. Poor Joe Tung has no way to defend himself. :lol

"Will (something) is leading the Spartan team. We haven't seen much of him around, probably because he's spent most of his time respawning."

Ice cold, Luke. Ice cold. :lol :lol :lol

Schmitty

Genesis Knight said:
Rockin' vids. Watched them all - I agree, Luke's play was much easier on the eyes than the other outlets.

Looks like the Pro Pipe's main fire mode does significantly more damage per round than the Brute Shot? Also, seems really weird to have the Grav Hammer as the ONLY Brute weapon in multiplayer. I guess all the other Brute weapons were considered redundant... I'm very curious on how Brutes will play out in the campaign. I mean, if they're in campaign what are they going to be carrying? Elite weapons?
I'm sure they will carry Brute weapons. Just like how the Elites in SP will have Plasma Rifles

Raide said:
That is why Bungie are having a beta. If it owns too much, they will tweak it.

For some of these modes/maps, it will be a DMR vs Needle Rifle matches, since they both seem to destroy at long range. Obviously Evade, Camo and Armour Lock will make it much harder to land those 3 shots. I am sure AL will negate the detonation too.

Also, pistol as Luke shows :D Super excited to use it!

NJ Shlice

I really hope the needle rifle and repeater play considerably different than the AR and DMR. I would rather have some crazy brute weapons than just have covenant equivelants to human AR and DMR.

Schmitty

Sai-kun said:
"Will (something) is leading the Spartan team. We haven't seen much of him around, probably because he's spent most of his time respawning."

Best line ever. I'm going to start using that :lol
Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
Do I need the ODST disc to play the beta or do i just need the code?
If you have ODST, it plays through the disc.

The needle rifle footage from Luke gets me very excited. The pistol seems really hard to judge from footage alone, but the way Luke talks about being a finess player, I guess if he likes it, it'l be good.

I would love to play Luke in the beta, I mean it would be cool to play any of the Bungie guys, but I would just love to potentially crush Luke - after watching this footage that would be so satisfying. :lol

Mastperf

This PC I'm on is too slow to watch these videos. I need to find some downloadable ones that can play on the 360. My Blu-Ray players plays youtube so maybe someone will upload the best ones to it.

The giantbomb footage is great but at the same time terrible, only one of them really knows what is new and what's going on, the others are just like "wow what's that?" also whoever was playing wasn't the best watch, in my mind I was like MELEE Him don't run away, why are you reloading MELEE HIM!

derFeef

Diablohead said:
The giantbomb footage is great but at the same time terrible, only one of them really knows what is new and what's going on, the others are just like "wow what's that?" also whoever was playing wasn't the best watch, in my mind I was like MELEE Him don't run away, why are you reloading MELEE HIM!
And I thought Halo is a shooter, but it seems to be a brawler :p

Raide

Major Williams said:
Also, pistol as Luke shows :D Super excited to use it!

I love the way he accidentally picks up the AR and throws it away in disgust. :lol

I think Sage said it in the previous Vidoc that the weapons are designed to fit a role and that role is defined by range. Boneyard looks like a massive map that will be ruled by range weapons.

Oozer3993

Sai-kun said:

Best part: Will Tuttle was playing as an Elite. He was KingTut33 on Covenant A :lol

Random tidbit I noticed: In one of the Invasion videos on GameTrailers, there's Elite dialogue. After 2 Elites capture a territory, one of the Elites says "Onward to the human stronghold." It was NOT one of the players talking, but one of the Elite voices from the previous games.

Ben K of Ars Technica linked to this awesome drawing of Emile done by Gamma360.

Ars Technica & a few other sites are doing F&F competitions.

Oozer3993 said:
Random tidbit I noticed: In one of the Invasion videos on GameTrailers, there's Elite dialogue. After 2 Elites capture a territory, one of the Elites says "Onward to the human stronghold." It was NOT one of the players talking, but one of the Elite voices from the previous games.
In the Giantbomb one too. At the start of the round an Elite voice says something attacking the Generators.

chess

bobs99 ... said:
The needle rifle footage from Luke gets me very excited. The pistol seems really hard to judge from footage alone, but the way Luke talks about being a finess player, I guess if he likes it, it'l be good.

I would love to play Luke in the beta, I mean it would be cool to play any of the Bungie guys, but I would just love to potentially crush Luke - after watching this footage that would be so satisfying. :lol
I :lol at his AR comments. It seems to be identicle to H3 as far as gameplay. Looks way better and sounds better although still a bit "pea shooter" ish.

Oozer3993 said:
I would guess this only plays for the Elite team (i.e. Spartans nearby won't hear it), in which case it would be more of an instruction to the player to make sure he knows what to do than it is ambient voice. And it makes sense that you would understand an Elite talking, because you are one.

Raide said:
I love the way he accidentally picks up the AR and throws it away in disgust. :lol

I think Sage said it in the previous Vidoc that the weapons are designed to fit a role and that role is defined by range. Boneyard looks like a massive map that will be ruled by range weapons.
Indeed. Most maps will be defined by the range weapons though, with "finesse" players as Luke calls himself - they usually are because they have the highest caliber bullets.

And accuracy is usually the most useful asset over power. In general of course.

GhaleonEB

Shake Appeal said:
I would guess this only plays for the Elite team (i.e. Spartans nearby won't hear it), in which case it would be more of an instruction to the player to make sure he knows what to do than it is ambient voice. And it makes sense that you would understand an Elite talking, because you are one.
I'd love it if the Spartan players heard the dialog in Elite-speak, but the Elite players got it in English.

Also, there were a few bursts of in-game music in some of the videos, but I haven't been paying enough attention to identify what triggered it.

GhaleonEB said:
Also, there were a few bursts of in-game music in some of the videos, but I haven't been paying enough attention to identify what triggered it.
Didn't notice this but I would suspect if it's true then the music is tied to objectives in e.g. Lockdown (refuse to call this Generator Defence) or Invasion.

Left 4 Dead has shown that clever musical "stings" that are tied to in-game action can work.

Shake Appeal said:
+1. Great Idea Shake! Really!

Top Bottom