• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Murphy Bed promotional song may be the most racist thing I've seen in a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Beard

RYSa1xX.png

"Diversity"

"Talent"

jay

This is some David Brent type stuff.

Spaceman came down to answer some things,
The world gathered round from paupers to kings,
I’ll answer your questions, I’ll answer them true,
I’ll show the way you know what to do,
Who is wrong and who is right?!
Yellow, brown or black or white
The spaceman he answered "You’ll no longer mind;
I’ve opened your eyes, you’re now colour blind."

platocplx

This wasnt produced by adam sandler? totally feels right up his alley lol.

the asian woman in the crowd. holy shit. that was the craziest shit ever. Like as a minority there is that one moment or many moments where its so apparent to you and no one else its like literally screaming internally.

This is set up, right?

The Asian lady is a business partner and came up with the idea to create controversy and brand exposure... right?

Because that is completely tone dumb.

Y'know..."neen-ja" is actually the correct way to pronounce the word.

Strange realizing that it would actually be less racist to pronounce it wrong, the way you would normally do it, because pronouncing it correctly (specifically in line with the rest of the accented english) is part of mocking the way an Asian person talks.

I mean seriously the whole thing is ridiculously racist, just had that realization.

Leunam

Strange realizing that it would actually be less racist to pronounce it wrong, the way you would normally do it, because pronouncing it correctly (specifically in line with the rest of the accented english) is part of mocking the way an Asian person talks.

I mean seriously the whole thing is ridiculously racist, just had that realization.

Take the rest of the performance into account: do you really think she knew she was pronouncing Ninja correctly?

I get what you mean, but I don't think she's particularly worldly in that regard.

Risible

FOR FUCK'S SAKE WHITE PEOPLE. Stop embarrassing the fuck out of me. I can't fucking handle it anymore. Get your shit together. I'm as whitebread as they fucking come and I can manage to not be racist, or shoot black people, or pass homophic laws - you can do it too! I believe in you!

She pronounced karate closer to correct than most Americans too. Correct pronunciation has nothing to do with it being racist. You can try to pronounce words close to how they would be pronounced by native speakers and be respectful. This was a caricature.

It would not have been less racist to pronounce it incorrectly. She was pronouncing it in a way to denote to white Americans that this is how funny Asians talk. It happened to be closer to correct than standard English pronunciation.

Take the rest of the performance into account: do you really think she knew she was pronouncing Ninja correctly?

I get what you mean, but I don't think she's particularly worldly in that regard.

Oh obviously. Plus how she conflates China with ninjas!

FOR FUCK'S SAKE WHITE PEOPLE. Stop embarrassing the fuck out of me. I can't fucking handle it anymore. Get your shit together. I'm as whitebread as they fucking come and I can manage to not be racist, or shoot black people, or pass homophic laws - you can do it too! I believe in you!

Can we not make a video made by an idiot a broad generalization about a group of people?

War Eagle

You know, I'm one of those folks that's sick and tired of the over PC culture in the US, and it's especially strong here at GAF and... HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK AM I WATCHING

Yeah there's a lot more damning stuff in history to pin white people on.

I don't disagree, there's plenty of damning things and much better subjects to talk about. This just isn't one to use as platform to launch into some form of tirade IMO. She's an incredibly stupid ans insensitive person we should hold accountable. Its fucking hilarious how stupid it is honestly, mind numbingly so. But it's on her.

It's just like a student to say something like this.

Meaning?

Like, what is this.

It's like she's so hot, so unbearably hot, that she thinks all those dudes were laughing at her jokes her entire life. She thinks she's some sort of comedic genius lol.

That's video is like a bored 40 something housewife who's only comedy experience ever was watching mad TV tried to make a Jenna Marbles video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom