• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Final Fantasy XV Screenshots

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's plenty of fantastical stuff in FFXV. Even if some of the environments are a bit mundane at parts (especially these few beginning/near-beginning areas), what you can find in those environments is not. A jog through a pine forest might not be the most fantastical thing ever, but when you bump into a wild Behemoth or other beasts in that forest, that escapes the realm of realistic & mundane.

I'm not sure if Tabata has the same aim still, but Nomura wanted FFXV's world to start as something very familiar (a modern city like Insomnia) and then the amount of more fantastical stuff would increase as you progressed deeper into the game.

Pretty sure Tabata said/has said that in regards to the environments. We've seen some fairly...not exotic I guess, but still fairly fantastical ones but I'm anticipating something like the Crystal from FF12 that's equally infuriating to navigate.

Ketaya

There's plenty of fantastical stuff in FFXV. Even if some of the environments are a bit mundane at parts (especially these few beginning/near-beginning areas), what you can find in those environments is not. A jog through a pine forest might not be the most fantastical thing ever, but when you bump into a wild Behemoth or other beasts in that forest, that escapes the realm of realistic & mundane.

I'm not sure if Tabata has the same aim still, but Nomura wanted FFXV's world to start as something very familiar (a modern city like Insomnia) and then the amount of more fantastical stuff would increase as you progressed deeper into the game.

Yes, Tabata is still following that plan. This is from a presentation from last year:

74OBrDs.jpg

Go_Ly_Dow

Yes, Tabata is still following that plan. This is from a presentation from last year:

74OBrDs.jpg

Going by that first image that plan doesn't seem relevant anymore. Unless Chapter 0 allows us to explore Insomnia for a brief period, which I think is unlikely going by recent comments.

Koozek

It looks like a cool game, but if I didn't know this was a main entry in the Final Fantasy series, I wouldn't have guessed in a million years. I don't know how to deal with that. I like my Final Fantasy more fantastical, I think.

I'll give it a try when I get to XV, though. I've still got a quite a few numbered FFs I have to play before this one.

The world is supposed to become more fantastical the further you progress in the game, so maybe it'll be more to your taste. They deliberately made the beginning more real-world-like to slowly ease FF/RPG newcomers into the more fantastical stuff later on:

4XHlrcp.gif

ffxv1rbrs9.gif

srVi05T.gif

They (luckily, actually) haven't shown much of those later locations yet, but I'm sure they will show every area, summon and set-piece in the final trailer like they were doing with the FFXIII-saga, so I definitely won't watch any new trailer anymore.

Ydelnae

Going by that first image that plan doesn't seem relevant anymore. Unless Chapter 0 allows us to explore Insomnia for a brief period, which I think is unlikely going by recent comments.

The game still starts with cutscenes that take place in Insomnia. So the first contact with the FFXV world is still with a realistic looking city.

Could be a linear section for all we know ( wouldn't mind that ) btw is the train located in Insommia or another city ?

dtmzietc0wnvm1jdzalw.gif

artsi

We might not explore it but the journey still starts from Insomnia and Lucis, so I think the picture is still relevant.

Koozek

I expect the new demo to be the Leviathan fight. Probably just a part of it like with Titan.
Tabata said that's what he wanted to show next together with the colosseum minigame.

Ohh, now that I think about it, the Colosseum would be perfect for a small demo. If it's a big space with a few different monsters and the whole party fighting it'll be a much better showcase of the combat than the claustrophobic, janky Titan battle.

Ohh, now that I think about it, the Colosseum would be perfect for a small demo. If it's a big space with a few different monsters and the whole party fighting it'll be a much better showcase of the combat than the claustrophobic, janky Titan battle.
The Colosseum is just where you bet on monsters for now isn't it

IIRC the colosseum is not what u think it is. It's monsters fighting each other and u betting on it. I think DLC is supposed to come perhaps where that changes?

Go_Ly_Dow

Didn't they say you can't battle in the Colosseum, but they are considering it for DLC?

Ydelnae

I think they said the colosseum won't be playable. You just bet on monsters and earn money with it.

Koozek

The Colosseum is just where you bet on monsters for now isn't it

IIRC the colosseum is not what u think it is. It's monsters fighting each other and u betting on it. I think DLC is supposed to come perhaps where that changes?

Didn't they say you can't battle in the Colosseum, but they are considering it for DLC?

I think they said the colosseum won't be playable. You just bet on monsters and earn money with it.

Nooo :( That would've been relatively easy to implement. But well, they could patch it in later with additional DLC bosses, I guess.

Koozek

Btw, I hope someone records or tweets about the several FFXV tech talks at SIGGRAPH throughout this week starting from today. If someone sees something, post here! Thanks.

Today:

http://s2016.siggraph.org/talks/sessions/angry-effects-salad

Visual Effects of Final Fantasy XV: Concept, Environment, and Implementation

This talk presents the concept for the visual effects of Final Fantasy XV and the node-based approach used to improve the productivity and flexibility of the workflow. It also explains the technical problems and solutions developed for the environment.

Tuesday:

http://s2016.siggraph.org/talks/sessions/building-character

Character Workflow of Final Fantasy XV

This talk presents how to create character assets with superior quality and performance for display on a game console. It also summarizes construction of a workflow to efficiently produce these sorts of character assets on a large scale.

http://s2016.siggraph.org/talks/sessions/brain-brawn

• Final Fantasy XV: Pulse and Traction of Characters

This talk presents the architecture and animation used in Final Fantasy XV. The goal was for players to feel the pulse and traction of the characters in a world that mixes fantasy and reality.
  • Rendering Techniques of Final Fantasy XV

This talk presents the core graphics technologies used to render and light the seamless and dynamic world of the upcoming title Final Fantasy XV.

Wednesday:

http://s2016.siggraph.org/talks/sessions/playing-god

Environment Workflow of Final Fantasy XV

This talk explains how the immense and unique world of Final Fantasy XV was created: the technologies and development environment that allow users to experience the world imagined by the artists as if it were real.

I would make a thread if enough of it is archived and uploaded. Are these talks generally public?

Ketaya

Btw, I hope someone records or tweets about the several FFXV tech talks at SIGGRAPH throughout this week starting from today. If someone sees something, post here! Thanks.

Today:

http://s2016.siggraph.org/talks/sessions/angry-effects-salad

Visual Effects of Final Fantasy XV: Concept, Environment, and Implementation

This talk presents the concept for the visual effects of Final Fantasy XV and the node-based approach used to improve the productivity and flexibility of the workflow. It also explains the technical problems and solutions developed for the environment.

Tuesday:

http://s2016.siggraph.org/talks/sessions/building-character

Character Workflow of Final Fantasy XV

This talk presents how to create character assets with superior quality and performance for display on a game console. It also summarizes construction of a workflow to efficiently produce these sorts of character assets on a large scale.

http://s2016.siggraph.org/talks/sessions/brain-brawn

• Final Fantasy XV: Pulse and Traction of Characters

This talk presents the architecture and animation used in Final Fantasy XV. The goal was for players to feel the pulse and traction of the characters in a world that mixes fantasy and reality.
  • Rendering Techniques of Final Fantasy XV

This talk presents the core graphics technologies used to render and light the seamless and dynamic world of the upcoming title Final Fantasy XV.

Wednesday:

http://s2016.siggraph.org/talks/sessions/playing-god

Environment Workflow of Final Fantasy XV

This talk explains how the immense and unique world of Final Fantasy XV was created: the technologies and development environment that allow users to experience the world imagined by the artists as if it were real.

I would make a thread if enough of it is archived and uploaded. Are these talks generally public?

The second one on tuesday is being streamed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuF_-aAZmNk

For the others we need to wait until SE uploads the slides to their website.
Usually they put them up here: http://www.jp.square-enix.com/tech/publications.html

OmegaDL50

I agree. The only acceptable choice for a final battle is Gilgamesh, but they literally already did the exact same thing in XIII-2 so that won't happen

If not Gilgamesh, hopefully one of the Weapons like Ultima or Omega.

I really don't want cameo character bosses, That isn't the sort of thing FF does.

If not Gilgamesh, hopefully one of the Weapons like Ultima or Omega.

I really don't want cameo character bosses, That isn't the sort of thing FF does.

Eh, I think it could fit fine in an arena setting, but on the other hand, FFXIV basically already does this with lots of classic FF bosses.

Mifec

The textures on everything but Noctis look pretty dire there, like they didn't load all the way because of view distance.

I hope it remains like this

I hope they don't show too much =(

Lots of people say this but I can't help but be worried. It's 2 months from release and they have showed very little, especially in terms of story/cutscenes and what we've seen seems very unpolished.

At a similar timeframe from release, the marketing and trailer promotion for XIII was quite different, and showed a level of completion and polish XV seems to lack, especially with cutscenes, it's very worrying.

wmlk

Yakuza's stores are filled with all kinds of real product placement, even in the earlier games.

rnTG2z.jpg

Huh, I knew that it was, but couldn't recognize any of those companies.

I'm less fine with American Express than Coleman. American Express is too specific.

Ratrat

Yakuza's stores are filled with all kinds of real product placement, even in the earlier games.

jEPPTap.jpg
Are they? Thats such a blurry mess I cant make out a single thing. I think the image Nirolak posted has real ramen and thats about it.

Famassu

Lol, Yakuza's product placement is really bad but at least it's based on real Tokyo and not some fantasy game. :p
Insomnia is (or was, at one point) going to be an almost 1:1 replica of Shinjuku, Tokyo, so it' is/was based on real Tokyo too. :p

ZSeba

Lots of people say this but I can't help but be worried. It's 2 months from release and they have showed very little, especially in terms of story/cutscenes and what we've seen seems very unpolished.

At a similar timeframe from release, the marketing and trailer promotion for XIII was quite different, and showed a level of completion and polish XV seems to lack, especially with cutscenes, it's very worrying.

Don't you want to discover enemies/locations by yourself? :/

EDIT: to make my point more clear :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom