• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF Rebirth sold less than FFXVI in Japan at launch (336,027 vs 262,656) Retail

hussar16

They shot themselves in the foot when they stayed on unreal engine 5 .it didn't blow people away and they don't have as much wow factor as the first one

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Interested to see the sales figure from Square Enix including the digital sales so we can see how well it is performing. They put out one rather quickly for FF7 Remake.

Comandr

They shot themselves in the foot when they stayed on unreal engine 5 .it didn't blow people away and they don't have as much wow factor as the first one
What? Both Remake and Rebirth are Unreal 4. Unreal 5 wasn't announced at the time Remake was in active development and Rebirth was too far in to switch to an unfamiliar engine.

lordrand11

I'm all for a PC version. However, how much more sales would a PC version of FF7 Rebirth generate in Japan? The game is massive, it is well worth 70 dollars.
Idk man, massive doesn't normally equate to something being better. An engaging storyline with minimal exploration can be just as fun too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm saying multiplat is usually the way to go here. At a sell through rate of 32 million consoles in the country, an attach rate of not even 0.2 is kind of bad for the game, any extra sales would be helpful to that number.

sendit

Idk man, massive doesn't normally equate to something being better. An engaging storyline with minimal exploration can be just as fun too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm saying multiplat is usually the way to go here. At a sell through rate of 32 million consoles in the country, an attach rate of not even 0.2 is kind of bad for the game, any extra sales would be helpful to that number.
Not sure what you're arguing against? Preferring something else doesn't change the fact that this game reviewed very well. Additionally, this thread is about physical sales in Japan. Not the actual quality of the game, which is sitting at a 92% on metacritic. A PC version in JAPAN would not change the Physical sales number.

Last edited:

paolo11

Noob question but will these sales numbers affect the development of part 3? Rebirth is such an amazing game (remake too) and kinda sucks sales are a bit low

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Noob question but will these sales numbers affect the development of part 3? Rebirth is such an amazing game (remake too) and kinda sucks sales are a bit low
We don’t know the ww numbers including digital is all speculation solely based on 2 retail markets. We know digital really did great in one day and that’s all data we have.

In any case if it bombed be sure the budget will be reduced severely for the next entry same as it happened to LR:FFXIII before!

Fredrik

Are there completion percentage figures from Remake somewhere? Could answer some of the questions people seem to have. I mean it’s a sequel. Nobody is going to buy it without finishing Remake first. And it’s a PS5 exclusive sequel to a game that is on PS4, PS5, PC. The reach is limited. They’re trying to make a big splash in a small puddle here.

Are there completion percentage figures from Remake somewhere? Could answer some of the questions people seem to have. I mean it’s a sequel. Nobody is going to buy it without finishing Remake first. And it’s a PS5 exclusive sequel to a game that is on PS4, PS5, PC. The reach is limited. They’re trying to make a big splash in a small puddle here.
Remake Percetage is about 35% which is okay but not spectacular BUUUUUUTTT it has been available on PlayStation plus for a while which usually decreases completion record.

Before this it was at 55% which is excellent.

Bit of positive sales news Rebirth is seemingly having a positive boost on Remake. Steam had 6,000 plus concurrent players last night. Might reach higher today.

Fredrik

Bit of positive sales news Rebirth is seemingly having a positive boost on Remake. Steam had 6,000 plus concurrent players last night. Might reach higher today.
Yeah I’m in those figures. I have Remake on PS5 but started over on Steam to play on the new living room PC instead. I’m enjoying it a lot tbh, and it’s got a ton of mods. It’s 50% off right now 👍

Yeah I’m in those figures. I have Remake on PS5 but started over on Steam to play on the new living room PC instead. I’m enjoying it a lot tbh, and it’s got a ton of mods. It’s 50% off right now 👍
Cool!

It's had a bit of a bump over the last couple months but the price cut has given it a proper boost. It's still 35 dollars so decent revenue numbers.

Revenue is always overlooked when unit sales come up. For all the praise Capcom gets for Rebooting Resident Evil there games seem to be constantly at bargin bin prices even RE4 remake is at half price constantly. (Resident Evil is obviously still doing amazing)

Square gets shit for lacking unit sales but they might be generating similar revenue numbers.

Hudo

To be honest, UE5 won't save them from low-quality assets and general corner-cutting. That's all on Square.

Lethal01

To be honest, UE5 won't save them from low-quality assets and general corner-cutting. That's all on Square.

It's guaranteed that they have much higher quality versions of their assets made that then get optimized to fit within the game's render budget, same would go for any other game.

Fredrik

Cool!

It's had a bit of a bump over the last couple months but the price cut has given it a proper boost. It's still 35 dollars so decent revenue numbers.

Revenue is always overlooked when unit sales come up. For all the praise Capcom gets for Rebooting Resident Evil there games seem to be constantly at bargin bin prices even RE4 remake is at half price constantly. (Resident Evil is obviously still doing amazing)

Square gets shit for lacking unit sales but they might be generating similar revenue numbers.
Yeah Remake is definitely worth getting now. Been playing it for a couple days, I’m at the slum right now, trying out Tifa mods heh

Anyway we only see physical numbers on Rebirth, could still do okay. Still, the potential userbase is no doubt small compared to Remake and I think that’s what we’re seeing now, plus higher digital split.
But I think it will get a healthy boost in sales when it’s out on PC, assuming it’s not delayed too much so the hype is gone.

FWIW Amazon says "20k+ sold in the last month". I assume that's just Amazon US but I suppose that's not the case. I also assume that is entirely Day 1 though.

Tough to have a good comparison but Helldivers 2 says "4k" and the Peach game which comes out on Friday at "10k".

Last edited:

paolo11

We don’t know the ww numbers including digital is all speculation solely based on 2 retail markets. We know digital really did great in one day and that’s all data we have.

In any case if it bombed be sure the budget will be reduced severely for the next entry same as it happened to LR:FFXIII before!
When will we know if it bombed? I’m worried about it. This is the most anticipated trilogy for me. I don’t want part 3 less than rebirth

Deerock71

71096_90_final-fantasy-7-remakes-midgar-is-city-made-into-world_full.png
Very first ff game I played was the remake, actually I’ll play part two, cloud felt like a real hero, the plot was clear and confusing at the same time
How can that be?
the hangover GIF

When will we know if it bombed? I’m worried about it. This is the most anticipated trilogy for me. I don’t want part 3 less than rebirth

I would say if Square doesn't publicly comment on sales soon (like this week)... they won't until their earnings report. Which would be in Early May.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Are you saying that Final Fantasy VII Remake sequel just... you know... SLOWED DOWN? Oh, it was a bad joke about how constant is the stupid slow walk in Remake, nevermind

FWIW Amazon says "20k+ sold in the last month". I assume that's just Amazon US but I suppose that's not the case. I also assume that is entirely Day 1 though.

Tough to have a good comparison but Helldivers 2 says "4k" and the Peach game which comes out on Friday at "10k".
It reached a combined (standard + deluxe) maximum total of 32k+ on Amazon US

As a comparison, FFXVI did a combined maximum of 20k+

Also, Amazon market share for anything PS related is lower than anything Nintendo related.

I’m still seeing a lot of “this game is a bomba” in a lot of forums, especially the ones related to other platforms.

Without WW numbers it’s unclear, but 3m. units FW are not out of the question.

I’m sure, revenue wise, it did more than what 16 and 7 remake did when they launched.

peish

It reached a combined (standard + deluxe) maximum total of 32k+ on Amazon US

As a comparison, FFXVI did a combined maximum of 20k+

Also, Amazon market share for anything PS related is lower than anything Nintendo related.

I’m still seeing a lot of “this game is a bomba” in a lot of forums, especially the ones related to other platforms.

Without WW numbers it’s unclear, but 3m. units FW are not out of the question.

I’m sure, revenue wise, it did more than what 16 and 7 remake did when they launched.

I hope Rebirth is not bomba, though i have not contributed to its sales yet. Waiting for PCMR version.

If SQx do no release a success-accolades-sales PR by this week, or next. It is a bomba

I hope Rebirth is not bomba, though i have not contributed to its sales yet. Waiting for PCMR version.

If SQx do no release a success-accolades-sales PR by this week, or next. It is a bomba
Thing is that people puts too much emphasis in Japan, in all other markets it seems that is doing better than FFXVI.

If people expect close to 5m units FW or FM, they are in for a rude awakening.

wa600

I just looked up the current top 10 in the psn store for the following countries: Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, The Netherlands, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, UK, US - out of these I see it currently only charting in:

#5 in Thailand
#6 in Indonesia
#6 in South Korea (Unicorn Overlord on #3 here btw)
#7 in Japan (Genshin on #1, Unicorn Overlord on #5)

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I think the whole texture whining from gamers knocked it down at launch. It's sad that so many gamers care more about graphics than a great game these days.

hussar16

What? Both Remake and Rebirth are Unreal 4. Unreal 5 wasn't announced at the time Remake was in active development and Rebirth was too far in to switch to an unfamiliar engine.
Bull . Don't take that as the reasons .they took easy way out because they figured fans would stil buy it. But they didn't. I'm glad this happens when companies try to be lazy

Lethal01

Bull . Don't take that as the reasons .they took easy way out because they figured fans would stil buy it. But they didn't. I'm glad this happens when companies try to be lazy

Switching Engine that early for a game this size would have been a disaster, The graphics could be better, but going to UE5 in its extremely unfinished state would be the worst way they could attempt do it. (it still doesnt support things from 4 when using lumen/nanite)

Companies may be lazy but that's a terrible suggestion.

ByWatterson

I just looked up the current top 10 in the psn store for the following countries: Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, The Netherlands, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, UK, US - out of these I see it currently only charting in:

#5 in Thailand
#6 in Indonesia
#6 in South Korea (Unicorn Overlord on #3 here btw)
#7 in Japan (Genshin on #1, Unicorn Overlord on #5)

But we know for a fact that it was the second-most downloaded game for February after one day on the market, behind only Helldivers 2. This was in both the US and EU.

While it was doing that, I couldn't see it on the PSN top sellers. I don't think those lists are super accurate.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I think the whole texture whining from gamers knocked it down at launch. It's sad that so many gamers care more about graphics than a great game these days.
I care about both, and think big AAA games should have both. But I think this game has both. Then again, this game is what I expected this generation to look like anyways. Especially given its size.

Moriah20

Its the first truly great Final Fantasy since 12.

But square's mishandling of the IP throughout the years finally bit them in the ass. It's reach is too limited, it should be on steam day 1 alongside PS5 at the minimum. Also the twin pack promotion should have been extended to retail too, to be honest.
I have a feeling on the long run it will beat FF16 but honestly if FF15 could sell 10 million, this should comfortably clear that, at least if we are going by quality.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member

But square's mishandling of the IP throughout the years finally bit them in the ass. It's reach is too limited, it should be on steam day 1 alongside PS5 at the minimum. Also the twin pack promotion should have been extended to retail too, to be honest.
I have a feeling on the long run it will beat FF16 but honestly if FF15 could sell 10 million, this should comfortably clear that, at least if we are going by quality.
I think going 2D-HD and releasing on all consoles and PC would see a huge uptick in sales.

wa600

But we know for a fact that it was the second-most downloaded game for February after one day on the market, behind only Helldivers 2. This was in both the US and EU.

While it was doing that, I couldn't see it on the PSN top sellers. I don't think those lists are super accurate.

No idea how these positions are calculated, but Rebirth was #2 early March in US (#1 was Fortnite, #3 was Helldivers 2). Now its gone while Helldivers is still there on #4.
Seen Rebirth on #1 in Japan and mostly on #2 in European countries.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
The planet is crying out in pain we have to stop Sephiroth to save her, luckily, this game has she best battle sysem Square has ever made, so doing that is pretty fun.
It’s got the best action oriented combat system they’ve ever made.

I think Parasite Eve is the best combat system Square has ever made.

Square and Sony need to get their heads out of their asses and put PE on the ps+ catalog.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Eh. I prefer both Octopath games over recent FF offerings. I very much prefer a game that can tell it's story in one go instead of 3. Or in FF7's case the original game, all it's spinoffs, Ultimania's, Novellas, and now sequels.

Top Bottom