• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF Rebirth sold less than FFXVI in Japan at launch (336,027 vs 262,656) Retail

Also, it looks like is the lowest first week selling (Retail) Final Fantasy mainline game in Japan.

[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII - 1.501.964 (Media Create)
[PS4] Final Fantasy XV - 716.649 (Famitsu)
[PS4] Final Fantasy VII Remake - 702.853 (Famitsu)
[PS5] Final Fantasy XVI – 336.027 (Famitsu)
[PS5] Final Fantasy VII Rebirth - 262.656 (Famitsu)

Also, it looks like is the lowest first week selling (Retail) Final Fantasy mainline game in Japan.

Man, XIII sold 1.5, FF has really fallen off.

Lokaum D+

but but

Trying Not To Laugh GIF

Brock2621

Everyone I know that bought physical ps4 Remake all picked up the digital version. Any anyone who bought a physical version actually double dipped only because they wanted the collectors editions (like me). Two of the half-dozen of my friends picked up digital specifically to use on their PS Portal so I'm not sure how much we can read into this.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Almost 1/3rd of FF7 remake. Crazy. People must have really hated FF7 Remake.

What are the digital ratios in Japan?

Last edited:

jm89

Time to start focusing their IPs more on the west imo.

Much more potential.

And before someone replies to me with forspoken, yes that was a flop, that's why they also need to sort out the quality.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Elden Ring isn't exactly the opposite of weeb trash lol
Weeb needs to be anime.
If you don't care about FF then wtf are you even doing in this thread son? Fishing for attention? I thought Facebook and Instagram were back up already...
I don't care about FF. I think it's a trash series, but this thread is about the sales, not the game itself so I can 100% post a reaction about the sales.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
But I own the game….
So what was your point? Your whole post was “yeah but…”, dots after a sentence typically mean you have something else to say. You didn’t say anything with your two words on your initial post. It’s a rhetorical question, I know what you were trying to say, and you are probably lying about owning the game too as you backpedal.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Everyone was saying Ff7:remake was the best thing since slice bread, and it didn't really make and impact on me outside of nostalgia, and I remember hating the side quest, so I'm apprehensive towards picking up rebirth.
The 10's of mini games and proformance mode proformance doesnt inspire me to want to pick up the game right now. I waiting on a deep sale personally (maybe next year).

I wonder if it other people who feel the same.

Nintendo and mobile dominate nowadays in Japan, it is what it is. PS5 shortages in the first 3 years allowed Switch to increase their stranglehold on the market here so that didn't help either. Still surprised though Japan isn't the world and I'd like to think FF still stands tall globally, let's wait for the official, overall sales numbers, the game deserves all the success in the world, doubt anything will touch it as my GOTY.

Edit: missed the part about this being physical only, will be interesting to see what the digital split is and get a clearer picture.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
FF13 came out when the PS3 install base was much lower.

Same goes for FF15.

Maybe the series simply isnt as popular in japan as it used to be. Halo has seen similar declines.
I said in the other thread that the install base was barely relevant and got a bunch of defensive replies.

But I'll also say it here, without knowing the digital sales numbers, we're not comparing apples to apples. Digital is far more prevalent now than it was in 2016.

Nintendo and mobile dominate nowadays in Japan, it is what it is. PS5 shortages in the first 3 years allowed Switch to increase their stranglehold on the market here so that didn't help either. Still surprised though Japan isn't the world and I'd like to think FF still stands tall globally, let's wait for the official, overall sales numbers, the game deserves all the success in the world, doubt anything will touch it as my GOTY.
Would love to see theoretical sales for Rebirth and XVI of they were able to launch as they are just on Switch.

ProtoByte

You can sit and analyze this in some many directions, but I would honestly say that FF needs elevation way past XVI or Rebirth's sales numbers anyway, in Japan and worldwide.

Delving into FF7 nostalgia seems to have been less fruitful than one would have thought. Nomura's still that guy though.

Top Bottom