• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kurt Russell to star in Gary Whitta penned "Undying"

Status
Not open for further replies.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. Sorry if it has. <3

THR said:
CANNES -- Media 8 Entertainment has recruited Kurt Russell to star in its supernatural thriller "Undying."

The neo-noir creeper, penned by "Book of Eli" scribe Gary Whitta and originally titled "Reaper," tells the story of private investigator Virgil Lone, who gets pulled into a surreal underworld when he is hired by the mysterious Delia. Production is scheduled to begin in the fall.

Circle of Confusion ("Saint John of Las Vegas") is producing with Media 8 ("Monster"), which is financing the film along with E-Motion and Queen Nefertari Prods. ("The Inheritance").

Media 8 president Stewart Hall is producing along with Circle of Confusion's David Alpert and Lawrence Mattis and Queen Nefertari's Cynthia Stafford, Lanre Idewu and Jeff Kalligheri. E-Motion principals Karl Richards and Peter Bevan are executive producers.

"Kurt Russell is perfect for this role," Hall said. "He is truly one of the few actors who audiences continually embrace as a real hero."

Media 8 is handling worldwide sales in Cannes, while Gersh's Jay Cohen and CAA are handling sales for North America.

The CAA-repped Russell most recently starred in "Death Proof," "Poseidon" and "Dreamer: Inspired by a True Story."

Whitta, who is repped by UTA and Circle of Confusion, is also writing "The Defenders" for producers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman at DreamWorks Studios.

Media 8 produced "The Upside of Anger" and "Running Scared" and will be premiering its animated film "Jackboots on Whitehall," featuring Ewan McGregor, Tom Wilkinson and Alan Cumming, at Cannes.
Source

Congrats Whitta!

shuri said:
will Kurt use apple products? Only time will tell!
14094387.JPG

Kurt IS the computer though.

This is awesome news. Kurt is awesome. Now all we need is him to reteam with Carpenter for some mayhem.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Damn, Whitta is making it happen. First he makes a modern samurai pic with Denzel, now he's bringing noir back with Kurt fucking Russell. What's next? Is he going to pen a Blade Runner sequel so good Ridley Scott and Harrison Ford sign up for it?

Whooo! Day 1. Gary, is Kurt Russel anything like how you imagined the main character to be or look like? I'm always intrigued after reading a book and picturing the characters one way, then a movie comes out and they look/act differently than the ones I imagined. It's gotta be like that x1000 when you create the character yourself!

I've thought about Eli a lot more than the majority of films this year. Would take that any day, can't wait for the next one Gary!

Srsly...the dude is livin the dream! :) I'm more than vaguely interested in a blurb I came across on wiki (playin internet detective...lame as that is):

It was announced on www.Firstshowing.net, that Whitta was set to write the script for the live-action version of Akira that is scheduled to be released in the winter of 2011.

I pm'd Gary, but ya know, he's big-time now and prolly won't have time between martini lunches and champagne breakfasts to reply...so any other GAF'fer in the know about this gem, please do share.

I wonder if the producers and crew have to watch the Apple Guided Tours and Keynotes at the set.

Congratulation, Mr. Whitta. I hope it will be awesome.

Great Poster said:
Srsly...the dude is livin the dream! :) I'm more than vaguely interested in a blurb I came across on wiki (playin internet detective...lame as that is):

I pm'd Gary, but ya know, he's big-time now and prolly won't have time between martini lunches and champagne breakfasts to reply...so any other GAF'fer in the know about this gem, please do share.

There was a thread on it, I don't know what happened exactly and am not sure Gary really knows either, but I think it fizzled out and someone else is doing it

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242226

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
crimzonflame said:
I though Kurt retired from acting?
I swear this is what I thought also.. he hasn't had a new movie out in forever. Not that I'm complaining... probably one of my all time favorite actors and definitely in some of my most favorite movies.. I JUST added Breakdown to my Netflix streaming queue yesterday :p

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
borghe said:
I swear this is what I thought also.. he hasn't had a new movie out in forever. Not that I'm complaining... probably one of my all time favorite actors and definitely in some of my most favorite movies.. I JUST added Breakdown to my Netflix streaming queue yesterday :p

He did Death Proof.

wRATH2x

Banned
Congrats Gary! With Kurt Russel, I'll be seeing this.
I know you have me on ignore dude, but its cool

Solo said:
Congrats, Gary. But please, no Eli level of self-whoring on this one.
I have to agree.

Thanks all. It's been a long, uphill road to get this one made - it was actually written long before Eli, the original version of it at least (it's changed a lot since then) - but it looks like we might finally get there this time.

Answers to random questions:

Kurt is awesome. And yeah he's a perfect fit for this character, exactly how I imagined him. He really digs this role too, he's been heavily involved with putting his own touches on the script and is extremely smart about story and character, a real pro. Also an endless font of awesome Hollywood anecdotes. Just a joy to work with. Took a little while for me to quiet my inner fanboy after I realized I was sitting next to Snake Fucking Plissken and Jack Fucking Burton at the same time, though. Resisted the temptation to have him sign my Big Trouble in Little China Blu-ray. Next time...

No relation to the videogame of the same title, it's just a coincidence. Undying may not even be the final title it's released under. It was called Reaper originally and for the longest time, who knows, it may even go back to that. We'll see...

No Apple products in the script, but thanks for reminding me! Gotta get an iPad or iPhone 4G in there somewhere, or Jobs will activate the wifi iShock collar that keeps me in line...

Self-whoring will not be at Eli levels. As you'll notice, I didn't start this thread and had no plans to. Eli was my first movie to get made so I got a bit carried away at times :D

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Big Trouble in Little China 2 by Gary Whitta

Make it happen and ill buy an iPhone !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom