• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim Unboxing Video

flkraven

had that one locked and loaded didn't you?

How is telling someone that a product is coming out a year later than the product you just announced even remotely similar to announcing a revision of a product and a premium product that'll be released a few months later? The sales impact is different. The time gap is much smaller. But keep on with the console wars

Sigh... yet another PS4 slim thread filled with masturbatory Xbox One S posts.

Unbelievable what a shitshow these threads have been.

The thread isn't about your Xbox persecution complex, no.

My post had literally zero aggression in it. Ya'll are unbelievably defensive.

Neo kill slim sale vs a years of nothing kill Xbox one S sale.
One get money either way, the other get nothing.

Thank you for a level headed response. Makes sense.

RPGCrazied

Probably decently cheap, a lot of the profit margin goes to paying back R&D costs.

Probably. I know they're two different companies, but with Apple it costs like $20 to build a beats headphone, yet sells them for $300 - $400? I get it... they want a profit, but that seems a tad much.

rambis

Banned
Slim PS4 replaces standard, but more powerful PS4 comes out at the same time. Isn't that actually worse?

Always out policing, aren't ya! :D

No because Sony will likely make more per console on the Slim. People have to realize hat the number one goal of a slim console is to reduce the manufacturing cost and make more profit.

Neo will likely not be produced in large volume unless it takes off. Margins should be similar to the OG PS4.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Any recommended site to read up on audio? Tits my current weakness. All ive used is optical, mainly for my Astros,but when I do move towards an actual setup, I'd like to know what I'm looking for.

WhatHifi.com is an excellent source for news and reviews, AVSforum.com is an great forum full of very knowledgeable people. There are a fair few audiophiles on GAF as well, if you start a thread you will get plenty of responses. Also, I don't claim to be any expert, but you can also send me a PM if you want to bounce any ideas off me.

Best thing to do starting out is to figure out your budget and work backwards.

Cake Boss

Banned
Seems like a controlled leak to me, want to give the slim as much breathing room in the media and the news cycle before September 7 rolls out and it will be all Neo related.

ironcreed

Banned
So the word is that Neo is also releasing in September? Just like that? Boy, Sony sure is going to have a crowded hardware line-up for Fall with the Slim, Neo and VR.

Muzicfreq

Banned
I think this is why companies try to avoid leaks. The first batch of photos and images weren't very flattering at all, but now a proper video has come out with good lighting, it shows that this console is much more attractive than first anticipated.

I really like it now, too.
But they showed exactly the same thing so "flattering" or not, nothing changed from then to now except people showing how indecisive they are

Watching the video I actually think this looks ok. Not great, ok. It's very small and I prefer the console without that huge Led.

6TYaMHY.gif

It's growing on me.

Beautiful. I might trade in my OG PS4 towards the slim if Neo doesn't come out this year.

NOOI

Banned
So the word is that Neo is also releasing in September? Just like that? Boy, Sony sure is going to have a crowded hardware line-up for Fall with the Slim, Neo and VR.
It is very likely intentional.

The PSVR is expensive, there is no way to avoid this. It costs as much as a PS4 when it first came out.

By releasing the Slim, Sony would be able to cut the price of the baseline PS4. By releasing the Neo, Sony could increase the number of traded-in 2nd hand refurbished OG PS4s that would be even cheaper than the Slim.

In the end, the PSVR needed a PS4 to work. By lowering the costs of the PS4, it indirectly cuts the amount of money it takes to invest in Sony's VR compared to the PC competition.

And if Sony really wanted to, they can throw in PSVR Bundles for Black Friday. IMO Sony is trying to have synergy with all three pieces of hardware.

tensuke

No optical port and it looks kinda ugly, imo. Still better than PS3 super slim, but god those are both hideous. What happened, stock PS4 looks really nice. Like the new DS4 though, would get if one of my controllers died.

EmiPrime

The Wii U gave me the jolt I needed to upgraded from optical to a full HDMI setup. Lots of good AV receivers being sold cheap on ebay that used to retail for several hundred pounds.

Beautiful. I might trade in my OG PS4 towards the slim if Neo doesn't come out this year.
Why? Why would you do that? It's not much smaller and it actually has one less feature with the absence of the optical out. An X1S I get, but this upgrade would be a loss for current PS4 owners.

Why? Why would you do that? It's not much smaller and it actually has one less feature with the absence of the optical out. An X1S I get, but this upgrade would be a loss for current PS4 owners.

I agree with the absence of Optical out but that is a dying output. Better to save money on that and put it somewhere else. Best thing to do is connect to a receiver and output to 7.1. Been doing that for years now.

ironcreed

Banned
It is very likely intentional.

The PSVR is expensive, there is no way to avoid this. It costs as much as a PS4 when it first came out.

By releasing the Slim, Sony would be able to cut the price of the baseline PS4. By releasing the Neo, Sony could increase the number of traded-in 2nd hand refurbished OG PS4s that would be even cheaper than the Slim.

In the end, the PSVR needed a PS4 to work. By lowering the costs of the PS4, it indirectly cuts the amount of money it takes to invest in Sony's VR compared to the PC competition.

And if Sony really wanted to, they can throw in PSVR Bundles for Black Friday. IMO Sony is trying to have synergy with all three pieces of hardware.

Yeah, I see the slim selling like hot cakes. Neo and VR? Not so much.

I don't use optical out and I like the slim design. Plus it'll most probably draw less energy.

I agree with the absence of Optical out but that is a dying output. Better to save money on that and put it somewhere else. Best thing to do is connect to a receiver and output to 7.1. Been doing that for years now.

They've probably done research and found buyers at this (presumably lower) price point don't really use it. Frankly, I'm surprised they haven't dropped the lan port.

Regardless, the only difference between the OG PS4 and the slim then becomes the size and that's not even that great of a difference. Everyone is allowed to do what they want with their money, but there's really no value here to switch ps4's. Save that difference and put it towards a NEO.

I don't use optical out and I like the slim design. Plus it'll most probably draw less energy.
But if it's anything like trade in deals with the X1S, you'll be paying a difference of about $150 to upgrade? You wouldn't even see that reduction of energy costs in a year with the PS4 slim. Seriously, it makes more sense just to hold out for the NEO.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.

If he doesn't use optical the absence of it is irrelevant. Maybe his current PS4 sounds like a jet engine (like most of them) and the slim has better cooling/noise output.

Top Bottom