• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim Unboxing Video

m.i.s.

Banned
url

Possibly Sony's best Playstation design ever - better than even the PS2 slim

hurzelein

Damn, got a really sweet deal for the Fat PS4, it will arrive tomorrow. Less noise probably and 5GHz confirmed for the Slim - now I probably have to send it back, wait 2-3 more weeks and pay more for the Slim :(

MANGOD

Banned
Why want a slim when you can get a neo? Unless that is not out this year...
Fancy wifi and less noise dont tickle my fancy. The lack of a 4k drive like microsoft offer in the s seams a little puzzling seeing as sony are pushing hard with their 4k tvs right now.
Only thing I could see being a selling point if they announce it with a price reducution along with some nice bundles for Christmas

People in colleges rely on wifi a lot. Also, a lot of people don't have ethernet in their walls in a house. My modem and router are in my living room, but my PS4 is in my theater room. I'm lucky enough to have cat6 in my walls, but not everyone does. And if not in the walls, a lot of people don't want a 100ft ethernet cable stretching across their house.

Haven't thought of colleges, you're right.

But anyone else can deal with a little wire along (and not inside) the walls. Cables these days are almost invisible. And it's something you do once and forget about it, it just works.

It's better than dealing with wi-fi anyway. I'm off-topic though, so I'll leave it at that. ;)

Why want a slim when you can get a neo? Unless that is not out this year...
Fancy wifi and less noise dont tickle my fancy. The lack of a 4k drive like microsoft offer in the s seams a little puzzling seeing as sony are pushing hard with their 4k tvs right now.
Only thing I could see being a selling point if they announce it with a price reducution along with some nice bundles for Christmas

Not everyone's an FPS counter? I couldn't care less about slight graphical improvements that never made much difference to me (I regurarly play old games too). However, in my setup, my consoles are very close to me, so jet engine noise is a frustration, especially for lowkey games like Bloodborne. If both revisions have the same noise level, I might as well go with the cheaper version. What would attract me on Neo would be things like significantly bigger harddrives or backwards compatibility. If slightly higher resolutions would be the only advantage on Neo however, Slim is going to be more interesting.

VinFTW

Possibly Sony's best Playstation design ever - better than even the PS2 slim
Ehhhh I disagree

Even the PS4 looks better than this. Comparing to the PS2 slim? Even the PS3 Super Slim? Not even close IMO

Still not an UGLY console by any means

Unknown?

What do you guys think will be the first Limited Edition design PS4 slim... perhaps Gran Turismo 5?
GT Sport? Maybe in Europe but they never bundle GT in America. GT3 was and GT5 was like when it was already old(did it when the corvette C7 was unveiled) and never LE, just standard.

Lady Gaia

I have a feeling it will work that way at first, but then you'll get developers trying to max out the Scorpio / Neo version and making the XBO / PS4 version run, but like complete ass.

Only if they like negative reviews and bad word of mouth for what will be the largest part of their market for many years to come. If anything, it's the Neo and Scorpio versions that I expect to get relatively lazy treatment in many cases.

onQ123

Only if they like negative reviews and bad word of mouth for what will be the largest part of their market for many years to come. If anything, it's the Neo and Scorpio versions that I expect to get relatively lazy treatment in many cases.

The good thing about Scorpio's approach is that it has over 4X the power of the Xbox One so they should be able to hit 4K for ever 1080P Xbox One game & 1800P for the 900P games if not 4K. Devs should have a easy job for Xbox One/Xbox Scorpio games.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The good thing about Scorpio's approach is that it has over 4X the power of the Xbox One so they should be able to hit 4K for ever 1080P Xbox One game & 1800P for the 900P games if not 4K. Devs should have a easy job for Xbox One/Xbox Scorpio games.
Um

No, that is absolutely not the case. 4K will be rare on Scorpio and even rarer on Neo. We're barely at a point where the highest end graphics card still struggles with 4K.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
^ If your talking about 4K ultra at 60 sure, but we've been able to do 4K30 for a while now, granted at PS3/360 level fidelity.

So its confirmed that Slim does both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ? isn't that N? That's probably the best outcome we could possibly have, choosing between the best connection for your environment. Way better than just 5GHZ alone!

Guess Who

Banned
^ If your talking about 4K ultra at 60 sure, but we've been able to do 4K30 for a while now, granted at PS3/360 level fidelity.

So its confirmed that Slim does both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ? isn't that N? That's probably the best outcome we could possibly have, choosing between the best connection for your environment. Way better than just 5GHZ alone!

Nothing supports 5GHz alone.

For the most part, I like it, but I like being able to replace the glossy face plate on the launch model. I have the LittleBigPlanet one on mine! :)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I bet it'll be really loud.

If its only 14nm APU heat requirements, i don't see how that could be. If they had put the 28nm APU into this case, that would be one thing, but this is a new process node entirely.

onQ123

Um

No, that is absolutely not the case. 4K will be rare on Scorpio and even rarer on Neo. We're barely at a point where the highest end graphics card still struggles with 4K.

Scorpio is 4.5X the power of Xbox One they will be able to run the 1080P Xbox One games in 4K.

Norse

Why not just read the box? Doesn't the ps4 slim box have the specs listed on it? Surely they at least list the networking specs.

Top Bottom