• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim Unboxing Video

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
slvls.jpg

It's a vacuum cleaner.

No way it's as loud as a vacuum cleaner lol

Audioboxer

Open it up

Apply new thermal paste(dont cheap out here)

Clear dust and any obstructions to airflow

Reassemble

My ps4 went from jet engine to quiet as a mouse

I recently cut a hole where the fan is located underneath lol. I mean it has helped, but yeah, bit messy hacking through plastic. It was with the plan to do something like this but I've just left it as a hole for now lol

Pljs7Oy.jpg

I'll be getting a Neo so I'm just messing around with my PS4. I've not bothered redoing the paste as of yet.

Unless of course the Neo sounds like an earthquake going off in your room, then I might wait for its first revision. Probably not though, my hype for it will be high as is.

onQ123

Wow, this is the first time I've seen the system and I can't believe they didn't add any more damn USB ports. Being able to only charge my headset or my controller while using my headset is SO GOOD.

The Wii U has four goddamn USB ports for fuck's sake.

& PS4 has 3 , 1 is just for the camera.

Sony is too smart to waste money adding extra USB ports when most people will never use them besides charging the controllers & USB ports/chargers are everywhere.

clintar

& PS4 has 3 , 1 is just for the camera.

Sony is too smart to waste money adding extra USB ports when most people will never use them besides charging the controllers & USB ports/chargers are everywhere.
Uhh, isn't the camera port proprietary? Not standard usb

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
On the topic of noise levels, do you guys keep your PS4 in an entertainment center or in an open area?

I put my PS4 inside my entertainment center and it would get so loud, I'd hear it even with headphones on. I moved it out and put it next to the TV where it has open air circulation and it runs a lot quieter.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
On the topic of noise levels, do you guys keep your PS4 in an entertainment center or in an open area?

I put my PS4 inside my entertainment center and it would get so loud, I'd hear it even with headphones on. I moved it out and put it next to the TV where it has open air circulation and it runs a lot quieter.

Both! In an open air entertainment center.

onQ123

Uhh, isn't the camera port proprietary? Not standard usb

Just 2. The one in the back isn't the same thing.

It's still a USB port just not standard.

I'm saying that they have ports for what is needed & any extra ports would be wasting resources because most people only use them for charging the controller.

USB is a standard now so they are everywhere so people can always find a USB port to charge their controller if there isn't a free port on the PS4.

Lady Gaia

It's still a USB port just not standard.

USB is a standard. Ergo if it's a non-standard port it isn't USB even if the underlying protocol are architectural routing are identical.

I'm saying that they have ports for what is needed & any extra ports would be wasting resources because most people only use them for charging the controller.

Given that everyone needs to charge their controllers and the PS4 is the one device guaranteed to be near where you use the PS4 I don't think of those ports as "wasted" on charging.

I would really like to see at least one USB port added to the back for semi-permanent setups, whether it's a connection to a powered hub or some other device. On a regular basis I'll need connections to charge DS4 and Move controllers, plus connections for USB microphones, my Rock Band MIDI adapter, and a Rocksmith cable or two. I get that it won't have that many dedicated ports, but having one around back to route to a hub would be really nice.

USB is a standard. Ergo if it's a non-standard port it isn't USB even if the underlying protocol are architectural routing are identical.

Given that everyone needs to charge their controllers and the PS4 is the one device guaranteed to be near where you use the PS4 I don't think of those ports as "wasted" on charging.

I would really like to see at least one USB port added to the back for semi-permanent setups, whether it's a connection to a powered hub or some other device. On a regular basis I'll need connections to charge DS4 and Move controllers, plus connections for USB microphones, my Rock Band MIDI adapter, and a Rocksmith cable or two. I get that it won't have that many dedicated ports, but having one around back to route to a hub would be really nice.

Honestly, there are a couple of DS4 chargers that work really well and give you some aesthetic when doing so. The Japanese one is in those most recent pictures and the Power A one is nice, too. Both charge using the bottom port, so it won't put wear and tear on the USB port.

Move controllers have a similar charging stand that can be had for cheap (like $10, in some cases).

EJStyleS

Yeah, this thing is alright.

Power buttons now make more sense - don't miss the freaky pulsating turn-on sequence at all. Now a thin strip of five pinhole lights in front of the power button on the far left show what's going on.

Genuinely 1/2 as loud than the original (with hybrid HDD) PS4 during a pretty long Titanfall 2 Technical Test / No Man's Sky session (man, the latter has zero respek for time), and actually enjoyed the light show on the controller whilst playing The Magic Circle: Gold Edition, thanks to the new slit on the front at the top of the trackpad.

Controller has a slightly more matte feel on the rear, but the sticks and d-pad are pretty much the same as my launch PS4's despite two years of wear and tear. Battery life still poor...don't expect a major revision.

VERDICT: It's a PS4 all right, only narrower and a bit quiet. Same amount of USBs and their weird locations a shame.

Nice low price, though and this thing will do the business.

Power buttons now make more sense - don't miss the freaky pulsating turn-on sequence at all. Now a thin strip of five pinhole lights in front of the power button on the far left show what's going on.

Genuinely 1/2 as loud than the original (with hybrid HDD) PS4 during a pretty long Titanfall 2 Technical Test / No Man's Sky session (man, the latter has zero respek for time), and actually enjoyed the light show on the controller whilst playing The Magic Circle: Gold Edition, thanks to the new slit on the front at the top of the trackpad.

Controller has a slightly more matte feel on the rear, but the sticks and d-pad are pretty much the same as my launch PS4's despite two years of wear and tear. Battery life still poor...don't expect a major revision.

VERDICT: It's a PS4 all right, only narrower and a bit quiet. Same amount of USBs and their weird locations a shame.

Already have one? How? Pictures maybe? :)

Thanks 4 the impressions! Im glad its more quiet

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Does it support wireless AC?

i think additions like that would be for NEO, in addition to things like UHDBR, HDMI 2.0 and such.

Since this is a cost cut PS4, they are just gonna take out things and condense only the most necessary features, and not add stuff

Theonik

i think additions like that would be for NEO, in addition to things like UHDBR, HDMI 2.0 and such.

Since this is a cost cut PS4, they are just gonna take out things and condense only the most necessary features, and not add stuff
Adding stuff in this case doesn't necessarily cost more money though. They are replacing existing chips with more modern counterparts that might be quite economic.

Inuhanyou

Adding stuff in this case doesn't necessarily cost more money though. They are replacing existing chips with more modern counterparts that might be quite economic.

In regards to the APU, yeah they are moving the PS4 APU to a smaller process node, and a motherboard revision as well. But using modern parts besides that? I dunno.

Theonik

In regards to the APU, yeah they are moving the PS4 APU to a smaller process node, and a motherboard revision as well. But using modern parts besides that? I dunno.
I mean, I don't think HDCP2.2 and HDMI 2.0 would actually cost them extra to put in the new design. AC and the UHD drive might but 4K netflix, and other streaming services might make it worthwhile for Sony to include.

Inuhanyou

I mean, I don't think HDCP2.2 and HDMI 2.0 would actually cost them extra to put in the new design. AC and the UHD drive might but 4K netflix, and other streaming services might make it worthwhile for Sony to include.

It would cost them brand clarity. They are positioning NEO as the 4K console and putting everything into that, while reducing and slimming down anything absolutely necessary for the budget PS4.

Putting 4K features into the budget PS4 would cause brand confusion about which one is the 4K unit and diminish the attractiveness of each segment of the market

onQ123

Looking at the newer AMD chips you see chips that are updates to Xbox One chip but there is nothing that match PS4 chip & the closest thing is the 480 with double the CUs which is the move that Sony is making.

Neo is Sony's Xbox One S they just so happen to be pushing it further than MS did.

Open it up

Apply new thermal paste(dont cheap out here)

Clear dust and any obstructions to airflow

Reassemble

My ps4 went from jet engine to quiet as a mouse

Tried that two times with what seemed to be bad paste and the third time with arctic mx4 paste, didn't change anything, still can dry my hair with it 😥

Inuhanyou

Looking at the newer AMD chips you see chips that are updates to Xbox One chip but there is nothing that match PS4 chip & the closest thing is the 480 with double the CUs which is the move that Sony is making.

Neo is Sony's Xbox One S they just so happen to be pushing it further than MS did.

NEO fills the role of the Xbox One S and the Scorpio at the same time from what i see.

NEO fills the role of the Xbox One S and the Scorpio at the same time from what i see.

No, it really doesn't. Scorpio is going to be a powerhouse, but it's also not coming out for a long while. Neo will be an upgraded PS4 with 4K capabilities, but it's not going to be on the same level as Scorpio. Neo will probably also cost less than Scorpio.

There's no real comparison as they're taking two different upgrade paths, now.

Tried that two times with what seemed to be bad paste and the third time with arctic mx4 paste, didn't change anything, still can dry my hair with it ��

Is it in an enclosed cabinet?

Inuhanyou

No, it really doesn't. Scorpio is going to be a powerhouse, but it's also not coming out for a long while. Neo will be an upgraded PS4 with 4K capabilities, but it's not going to be on the same level as Scorpio. Neo will probably also cost less than Scorpio.

It doesn't have to be as strong as scorpio to go to the same audience MS is supposedly building Scorpio for. The ones looking for more power(scorpio) as well as those looking for 4K capability and content(Xbox One S)

As for being a powerhouse, we'll see what MS comes up with.

I agree with you that they(Sony and MS) are taking two different paths, but if we actually were comparing their approaches, NEO most definitely is going toward both audiences. Its both a PS4 refresh and a higher tier option. Slim is a lower tier option but also a PS4 refresh of the budget variety.

Theonik

Are you willing to make a bet on the gap between the Neo and Scorpio being 50% or less across the board?

onQ123

Yes they found a nice middle ground

Is it in an enclosed cabinet?

Actually the approach Sony is taking put MS is a weird place if they are not able to take full advantage of Scorpio's power & show a big difference.

When you make a game for Neo mode you're coding for Neo & you're able to do things like use compute for the front end of your graphics pipeline but I think for Scorpio devs will basically be making UWP games so they probably wouldn't be pushing Scorpio to it's limits.

Are you willing to make a bet on the gap between the Neo and Scorpio being 50% or less across the board?

It really depends on the pricepoint that Micrsosoft is going for. Are they going for the $499 crowd? Or are they going for the $599 crowd? The way they made Scorpio sound in their presentation is that they're going for the enthusiast crowd, essentially making it sound like a Windows version of a Steambox.

Actually the approach Sony is taking put MS is a weird place if they are not able to take full advantage of Scorpio's power & show a big difference.

When you make a game for Neo mode you're coding for Neo & you're able to do things like use compute for the front end of your graphics pipeline but I think for Scorpio devs will basically be making UWP games so they probably wouldn't be pushing Scorpio to it's limits.

I completely agree. It all really depends on how well the Neo does for Sony and how well Microsoft can harness Scorpio's power.

Boke1879

It really depends on the pricepoint that Micrsosoft is going for. Are they going for the $499 crowd? Or are they going for the $599 crowd? The way they made Scorpio sound in their presentation is that they're going for the enthusiast crowd, essentially making it sound like a Windows version of a Steambox.

I completely agree. It all really depends on how well the Neo does for Sony and how well Microsoft can harness Scorpio's power.

It'll be interesting. Scorpio is supposed to be big boost in power, but all games are supposed to work with each system. So games will be made for the lowest common denominator in mind first right? Will a dev go that extra mile to harness ALL of the scorpios power?

It'll be interesting. Scorpio is supposed to be big boost in power, but all games are supposed to work with each system. So games will be made for the lowest common denominator in mind first right? Will a dev go that extra mile to harness ALL of the scorpios power?

The idea is to make them for the lowest common denominator, yes, but whether developers will actually do that is to be seen. I have a feeling it will work that way at first, but then you'll get developers trying to max out the Scorpio / Neo version and making the XBO / PS4 version run, but like complete ass.

It'll all depend on what rules are put in place. First party developers you'll see comply without a doubt, but who knows how the third party will handle it.

Behlel

Because scorpio is the next gen xbox, they don't even call this an xbox one where Sony have already said that the PS4 Neo is only a mid gen upgrade.
The fact is that MS, just like with the xbox-xbox 360, need to stop the current gen early because their sales are pretty low if non existent outside UK and USA.

iceatcs

Depend on hardware licences. I bet wifi won't change because over complex with Q&T.

New systems like Neo are likely.

Thanks for the impressions. Quick question, when you save videos are they still 720P or 1080P?

onQ123

Because scorpio is the next gen xbox, they don't even call this an xbox one where Sony have already said that the PS4 Neo is only a mid gen upgrade.
The fact is that MS, just like with the xbox-xbox 360, need to stop the current gen early because their sales are pretty low if non existent outside UK and USA.

Xbox is not in a position where they can just start over with a new console that's probably going to cost over $400 when PS4 will have an install base of ~70 million when the Scorpio comes out.

What are they gonna tell the devs? "Hey look I know there is an install base of close to 100 million on PS4/Xbox One but it would be really nice of you to cut them off & focus on this new box that might sell 5 million over it's 1st 6 months oh yeah & it might cost you more to take full advantage of this console but don't let little things like that get in the way of your hopes & dreams of making a game for the worlds most powerful console"

icespide

Banned
Scorpio doesn't have an official name yet. could still be an Xbox one

Top Bottom