• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim Unboxing Video

Boss Man

Xbox is not in a position where they can just start over with a new console that's probably going to cost over $400 when PS4 will have an install base of ~70 million when the Scorpio comes out.

What are they gonna tell the devs? "Hey look I know there is an install base of close to 100 million on PS4/Xbox One but it would be really nice of you to cut them off & focus on this new box that might sell 5 million over it's 1st 6 months oh yeah & it might cost you more to take full advantage of this console but don't let little things like that get in the way of your hopes & dreams of making a game for the worlds most powerful console"
Isn't that how it always works though? With the exception that this time the shared architectures would mean there's minimal effort required to port everything that comes out?

I feel like it could exist just fine even today. You've got games that can take advantage of high-end PCs being ported down to consoles. Why can't Scorpio be in the equation? Personally, I think this thing where we've got mediocre performance at a mediocre price point is probably not ideal. Sell a $199 PS4 Slim and Xbox One S, then a $499 PS4 Neo and Xbox Scorpio. I think the sum of people who want a cheap console that works OK and people who want a more expensive console that stands up to a good PC build is higher than people who want something in the middle.

Consoles exist because of cost and convenience, but there's a big market that's more in it for the convenience of having a plug-and-play box under the TV than saving money against building a PC. So hit both of them separately. I think that's what's going on right now. It's an option now because you can port the games across machines easily.

Isn't that how it always works though? With the exception that this time the shared architectures would mean there's minimal effort required to port everything that comes out?

I feel like it could exist just fine even today. You've got games that can take advantage of high-end PCs being ported down to consoles. Why can't Scorpio be in the equation?
Then it won't be "ending the gen" as asked for.

Freddo

I'm so looking forward to this, as I never bought the original PS4. Back when I bought the fat PS3 that was loud as hell, I just thought "never again" so I've been waiting for a more energy efficient and very quiet PS4 since the PS4 launch.

Coxy100

Banned
I'm so looking forward to this, as I never bought the original PS4. Back when I bought the fat PS3 that was loud as hell, I just thought "never again" so I've been waiting for a more energy efficient and very quiet PS4 since the PS4 launch.
We can't be sure this is very quiet until digital foundry do their thing..

Dunlop

Going to trade in my unused xb1 when this is eventually announced.. Can you log into 2 PS4's with a single account?

Getting rid of the xb1 as I refuse to pay 2 online fees and am wondering is this will put me in the same scenario

Shin-Ra

Now a thin strip of five pinhole lights in front of the power button on the far left show what's going on.
You got robbed or there's another strip!

PS4ssStandby.jpg

Fredrik

Going to trade in my unused xb1 when this is eventually announced.. Can you log into 2 PS4's with a single account?

Getting rid of the xb1 as I refuse to pay 2 online fees and am wondering is this will put me in the same scenario
I refuse to pay any online fee so I only use PS4 for offline gaming but I had 2 PS3s with no online issues so I would assume that it works on PS4 too, I never had them both powered on at the same time though.

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, this thing is alright.

Power buttons now make more sense - don't miss the freaky pulsating turn-on sequence at all. Now a thin strip of five pinhole lights in front of the power button on the far left show what's going on.

Genuinely 1/2 as loud than the original (with hybrid HDD) PS4 during a pretty long Titanfall 2 Technical Test / No Man's Sky session (man, the latter has zero respek for time), and actually enjoyed the light show on the controller whilst playing The Magic Circle: Gold Edition, thanks to the new slit on the front at the top of the trackpad.

Controller has a slightly more matte feel on the rear, but the sticks and d-pad are pretty much the same as my launch PS4's despite two years of wear and tear. Battery life still poor...don't expect a major revision.

VERDICT: It's a PS4 all right, only narrower and a bit quiet. Same amount of USBs and their weird locations a shame.

Nice low price, though and this thing will do the business.

Do you find the light on the controller distracting now that it is constantly in your view?

Xbox is not in a position where they can just start over with a new console that's probably going to cost over $400 when PS4 will have an install base of ~70 million when the Scorpio comes out.

What are they gonna tell the devs? "Hey look I know there is an install base of close to 100 million on PS4/Xbox One but it would be really nice of you to cut them off & focus on this new box that might sell 5 million over it's 1st 6 months oh yeah & it might cost you more to take full advantage of this console but don't let little things like that get in the way of your hopes & dreams of making a game for the worlds most powerful console"

Actually Microsoft can. Being 100% compatible with current gen software and Scorpio software opens the door to this inevitable streamlined gaming environment. The only thing is Scorpio exclusive content has to be bankrolled by MS.

[Agent]ZeroNine;215272146 said:
Actually Microsoft can. Being 100% compatible with current gen software and Scorpio software opens the door to this inevitable streamlined gaming environment. The only thing is Scorpio exclusive content has to be bankrolled by MS.

But.... That's exactly what Neo is doing, too.....

BigEmil

Wasn't there a thread here before titled 'PSP Trinity' but it was actually a updated Wireless Chip?

So maybe that chip is for the PS4 Slim?

onQ123

[Agent]ZeroNine;215272146 said:

The post I was responding to wanted Scorpio to be a completely new generation

hurzelein

Want defintive infos on

- 5 GHz Wifi
- better noise level better than orig. PS4

If both true, I'm in! So hoping digitalfoundry does it before the conference but I'm pretty sure they won't to avoid legal stuff.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Want defintive infos on

- 5 GHz Wifi
- better noise level better than orig. PS4

If both true, I'm in! So hoping digitalfoundry does it before the conference but I'm pretty sure they won't to avoid legal stuff.

Someone who has a unit was in here yesterday and he said the unit is only half as loud as OG PS4. And apparently now we have 5GHZ wi fi? This is a god level upgrade, i gonna buy it as soon as its in stock

Someone who has a unit was in here yesterday and he said the unit is only half as loud as OG PS4. And apparently now we have 5GHZ wi fi? This is a god level upgrade, i gonna buy it as soon as its in stock

Those are great and all but the thing I want to know the most is if SATA 3 is in. Then and only then will it be god tier.

hurzelein

Yeah I know, refreshing the thread every few hours. Still, I would like to have a little more "official" infos in that. The guy is doing a good job, but noise level measurenments > subjective impressions.

I really hate this answer because some people simply don't have that option

Not really. Everyone has that option, especially so if you live in a big house (that you probably own).

If you're in an apartment it's even easier. Just get a slim/flat cable and run it along the walls.

There's no setup that can't be connected with ethernet. I have meters of ethernet cable running along my walls at home. No one even notice them.

Behlel

The post I was responding to wanted Scorpio to be a completely new generation
Completely new doesn't mean that it'll have a new architecture (and you can bet that they will drop the shitty esram and the old DDR3).
They want to follow the smartphone path with a new model vastly superior to the old one, like going from a galaxy S5 to an s7.

Not really. Everyone has that option, especially so if you live in a big house (that you probably own).

If you're in an apartment it's even easier. Just get a slim/flat cable and run it along the walls.

There's no setup that can't be connected with ethernet. I have meters of ethernet cable running along my walls at home. No one even notice them.

People in colleges rely on wifi a lot. Also, a lot of people don't have ethernet in their walls in a house. My modem and router are in my living room, but my PS4 is in my theater room. I'm lucky enough to have cat6 in my walls, but not everyone does. And if not in the walls, a lot of people don't want a 100ft ethernet cable stretching across their house.

sorry guys, reposting this

Yeah, this thing is alright.

Power buttons now make more sense - don't miss the freaky pulsating turn-on sequence at all. Now a thin strip of five pinhole lights in front of the power button on the far left show what's going on.

Genuinely 1/2 as loud than the original (with hybrid HDD) PS4 during a pretty long Titanfall 2 Technical Test / No Man's Sky session (man, the latter has zero respek for time), and actually enjoyed the light show on the controller whilst playing The Magic Circle: Gold Edition, thanks to the new slit on the front at the top of the trackpad.

Controller has a slightly more matte feel on the rear, but the sticks and d-pad are pretty much the same as my launch PS4's despite two years of wear and tear. Battery life still poor...don't expect a major revision.

VERDICT: It's a PS4 all right, only narrower and a bit quiet. Same amount of USBs and their weird locations a shame.

Nice low price, though and this thing will do the business.

Thanks for the impressions. Quick question, when you save videos are they still 720P or 1080P?

that guy on twitter has it just posted this, old?

''And for those asking. Yes the slim has B/G/N/AC wifi.''

https://twitter.com/shortmaneighty2/status/769940698573537286

this is one of those things ill believe it when they tear it down, not to discredit the dude but maybe that's where the money for the optical audio port went

onQ123

Completely new doesn't mean that it'll have a new architecture (and you can bet that they will drop the shitty esram and the old DDR3).
They want to follow the smartphone path with a new model vastly superior to the old one, like going from a galaxy S5 to an s7.

I'm talking about you saying that they should end the Xbox One & move into a new generation & I'm saying they are not in a position where they can do that because the install base would be too small compared to the people who will be buying games for PS4/Xbox One.

Top Bottom