• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided PC performance thread

jrcbandit

They did the same shit in Human Revolution also. I don't know who is in charge over there or how the hell they have their computer set up, but it's just straight up wrong.

That is so bizarre, who exactly wants different x and y values for the mouse?? Also, why the hell do game developers always have mouse acceleration on by default and very often don't even have an easy way to disable it? I've never known a single gamer who likes mouse acceleration in their games. I could understand this maybe 10 years ago when there wasn't much focus on PC versions but in 2016, come on!

System;
W10 Anniversary Update
Nvidia 372.54 drivers
i5 6600K @ 4,4GHz
16GB
980Ti

Game at random gives me BSOD with error "Driver-irql-not-less-or-equal". There doesn't seem to be any specific thing triggering crash and it just happens after X minutes / hours of gameplay. Or maybe it doesn't happen. Pure randomness in getting that crash. I have tried fiddling with options, but nothing doesn't seem to prevent crashes.

#FeelsBadMan

Do you happen to be using an Xbox One wireless controller adapter? I had random BSOD on anniversary update, not Deus Ex but a few other games, that I was able to trace back the adapter, uninstalling it's driver and removing it stopped the crashes.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
That is so bizarre, who exactly wants different x and y values for the mouse?? Also, why the hell do game developers always have mouse acceleration on by default and very often don't even have an easy way to disable it? I've never known a single gamer who likes mouse acceleration in their games. I could understand this maybe 10 years ago when there wasn't much focus on PC versions but in 2016, come on!

It's never made much sense at all, it's a feature you'd have to specifically add in for it to be there in the first place.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Relived to know its my CPU. Tried a bit before work and I think my heatsink may have loosened in my move back in March, but I just hadn't caught on.

Fiddled with it, but I think I'm going to have to remove the mobo to get it properly seated again. Ordered a new heatsink/fan (rocking stock at the moment) and some more Arctic Silver. Gets here Saturday, hopeing to not only fix this issue, but crank out a bit of an OC on my 3770k.

Looking back to sporadic issues I have had over the past 6 months with my PC, most of them can be contributed to a CPU down clock, which I never caught because by the time I alt tab out to CPU-Z, it jumps back to normal clocks.

At work now, hoping to get it fixed so I can actually play this game properly and dove into it.

Ok, crashing is becoming real annoying now. I really enjoy the game, but what was the occasional nuisance is now becoming a deal breaker.

Have a 4770k, GTX 980, 16GB of RAM. I'm running the game on the high preset, which is already lower than NVIDIA Experience recommends, and I have the game crash at least once per game session.

Right now, I'm trying to complete the shooting range, and I go through the entire training and the game crashes immediately after the cutscene of Jensen putting his jacket back on after completion. It crashed after a long hour session, so I gave my PC a break and tried again after a little bit. Completed the shooting range again and it crashed at the same spot. The second time I tried skipping the cutscene to see if that would help, but no dice.

Hello, I'm using 980ti SLI (never again will I SLI)

I'm only getting about a 10 fps increase from single to SLI using 3440x1440

Is this typical for everyone?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry for not reading 36 pages, what settings are you looking at for 1080p/60fps (without dips) using a GTX 970 / 3570k @ 4.3GHz?

Ehhh, tried verifying integrity of the game cache in Steam, but no luck. Third time trying to complete the shooting range, and it crashed at the exact same spot. Really fucking annoying, as I don't have that much time to play at night after work, and now I've wasted most of the night playing the same content without any progress. Oh well, will move on and ignore that spot of the game, but it's definitely leaving a really bad impression on an otherwise enjoyable game.

samar11

Looks like the only thing so taxing for my rig is MSAA. I have everything set to ultra, setting Contact-hardening shadows from 'On' to 'Ultra' I only lose 2-3 frames.

lmimmfn

21:9 support sux with item markers not matching where they're supposed to be.

Early hacks for 21:9 support for MGSV had this also

Gigaryu

Neo Member
The game will always crash for me at
the cutscene that plays when you want to go out of the shooting practice range.
Cant finish that interest point. Anyone else getting this issue?

So I'm having a problem when it comes to accessing menus. After playing for awhile, it takes anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds for the map, inventory, and the escape menu to show up. They act normally when they load up, but then I return to game and I go from my normal 55-80ish fps to a massive dive of 10 fps for a second or two. I'm not sure why I'm having these problems. They persist and don't go away unless I exit the game completely and relaunch it.

Is anyone else having this problem, and have they found any kind of fix for it? This kind of performance drop and long wait for menus is really killing the great experience I've been having with the game otherwise.
Having this exact problem. It is becoming unbearable to open any menus. It can take.up to 45 seconds for me to load the map.

Has this been addressed, are they aware of this?

Ruuppa

Ehhh, tried verifying integrity of the game cache in Steam, but no luck. Third time trying to complete the shooting range, and it crashed at the exact same spot. Really fucking annoying, as I don't have that much time to play at night after work, and now I've wasted most of the night playing the same content without any progress. Oh well, will move on and ignore that spot of the game, but it's definitely leaving a really bad impression on an otherwise enjoyable game.

The shooting range crash on exiting it is an inventory bug. I managed to bypass the crash by completely emptying my inventory before entering the shooting range. I also threw the weapons and ammo you get in the shooting range on the floor before exiting it, but not sure if that is necessary.

SimplexPL

I just went out and bought 16gb of ram for this game. Wonder if I have to buy more lol.

I remember having to double my RAM to get better performance in the original Deus Ex way back when. I don't remember if I went from 32 to 64 megabytes of RAM, or from 64 to 128MB. Good times :)

SimplexPL

It may. Some programs expect the paging file and crash when it's not available. My friend had a problem with some game (can't remember the title) and it turned that it did not work because his paging file was disabled.

Downsampling from 1440p, TAA (which is great), game sharpening off, minor post-sharpening.

That minor post-sharpening is the 0.7 lumasharpen using ReShade? (sorry if I asked about it before, I have deja vu).

Also, anyone tried using this mod?
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SpecialK_Mods/discussions/0/359547436742532428

Tahnit

Banned
Running absolutely beautifully on my new 1070. My cpu is a little weak which is a i5 6500 but it seems to run pretty well. Very impressed with the port.

Brockxz

Does this have any sort of negative effect in day to day PC use?

In day to day use it won't affect your system in any negative way unless you have way too little ram. I suggest turn off page file only if you have at least 16GB ram or you will experience out of memory alerts playing latest games.

axb2013

4790K @4.8GHz,16GB RAM and a 980TI @1,4, native 1440p.
All settings are maxed except for MSAA which is off.
dxmd2016-08-2601-18-57euba.jpg

dxmd2016-08-2601-30-0nnuue.jpg

Frame rate dips into 30's at times, often for no obvious reasons. Performance at the moment reminds me of AC:Unity before the later patches.

SimplexPL

Yeah, keep those framerate tanking Contact Hardening Shadows and Volumetric Lightning on ultra at all times. Max that shit out! Who cares that graphics quality with CHS on is actually worse than with CHS off.

4790K @4.8GHz,16GB RAM and a 980TI @1,4, native 1440p.
Judging game performance at "max settings" is enormously counterproductive.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=885444

Renekton

I've been getting severe fps drops(as low as 6 fps) that result in short freezes in the second area of Prague. When this occurs, I've noticed my gpu usage drops to less than 60%(A few times it even said 0%). My cpu usage ranges from 70-100%, but sticks around 80-90% most of the time. Temps for gpu and cpu are fine as well.

And another thing, loading screens are horrible for me. I loaded my game and went to go make food and by the time I got back the game was still loading. Loading screens aren't that big of an issue for me, but when it takes 5+ minutes just to quit to the main menu, I get a bit irritated.
Your HDD may be dying. Check that and main memory speeds.

axb2013

Yeah, keep those framerate tanking Contact Hardening Shadows and Volumetric Lightning on ultra at all times. Max that shit out! Who cares that graphics quality with CHS on is actually worse than with CHS off.

Judging game performance at "max settings" is enormously counterproductive.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=885444

It is a starting point from which to compromise, as a 1440p user, I would want to know. This baseline is more useful than any personalized settings. I can push the minimum to lower 50's on my setup but the more I deviate from the max baseline, the less useful the info to anyone with comparable hardware @1440p.

The game is installed on a new 1TB SSD, loading times seem ok.

Durante

Relived to know its my CPU. Tried a bit before work and I think my heatsink may have loosened in my move back in March, but I just hadn't caught on.
Nice, let us know how it goes. (For those keeping track, that's the second case in as many pages of extremely bad performance not actually being caused by the game).

I solved my low FPS issues by disabling page files, though I only tested 15 minutes after I did changed this. Before, the game would turn into a complete slideshow after about a minute after arriving in the first hub area.
If you have enough memory that's generally good advice.

I haven't had a page file in Windows for 7 years now. It's not just good for games but also general responsiveness. If you have enough memory.

Looks like the only thing so taxing for my rig is MSAA. I have everything set to ultra, setting Contact-hardening shadows from 'On' to 'Ultra' I only lose 2-3 frames.
You should probably set CHS to "off" for now, see my analysis earlier in the thread. It's quite an expensive setting and currently greatly diminishes shadow distance.

Brockxz

Max that shit out! Who cares that graphics quality with CHS on is actually worse than with CHS off.

Not really true. What i found that game has really inconsistent visual looks (especially shadows) and it really depends on situation and the level you are. There are some really great moments where CHS shines and brings that softnest to shadows but there are times where it nullifies any other shadow effects and I think it is a bug I have already reported to developers in their technical support forums. Also there are moments where shadow settings very high for some reason gives worst picture than high settings.

Do you actually expect average costumers to know that ultra is not recommended and actually look worse than on/high? What's happening, should we blame the costumers now?

If those settings aren't optimized or bugged, shouldn't the devs, not the costumers, disabled or maybe optimize them first before launching the game to public?

SimplexPL

This "costumer" posted in the performance thread, where CHS issue was mentioned multiple times. So (hopefully) he is not an average Joe, oblivious to impact of graphics settings, and existing bugs.

Not really true. What i found that game has really inconsistent visual looks (especially shadows) and it really depends on situation and the level you are. There are some really great moments where CHS shines and brings that softnest to shadows but there are times where it nullifies any other shadow effects and I think it is a bug I have already reported to developers in their technical support forums. Also there are moments where shadow settings very high for some reason gives worst picture than high settings.
I personally don't like blurry shadows, but even if I did, it's current bugged state of CHS makes it inferior anyway (not to mention performance penalty).
If they fix the bug it may look better, but I suspect the performance will be even worse (since more shadows will be rendered).

Durante

If those settings aren't optimized or bugged, shouldn't the devs, not the costumers, disabled or maybe optimize them first before launching the game to public?
There is a whole range of options which have "very high"/"ultra" settings that also look good and do what they are supposed to do. A few have some problems. We can't really know how "optimized" any of them are, just their performance impact. In an ideal world, yes, not a single setting would have any issues at all at launch. Of course, that is the same world in which a game doesn't have any issues at launch, period -- so, for a variety of reasons, not the world we live in.

So should those settings be removed? No. That's actually the response people who are completely outraged at a few options being available are engendering, but it's obviously terrible and objectively worse for everyone. Sadly, it's already a reality for many lesser PC versions, which ship with a minimum of options.

The best solution to this dilemma between people's lack of rationality, limited development resources, and the desire to still offer maximum flexibility to those who can deal with it is probably to move any significantly-beyond-console settings to a .ini file.

There is a whole range of options which have "very high"/"ultra" settings that also look good and do what they are supposed to do. A few have some problems. We can't really know how "optimized" any of them are, just their performance impact. In an ideal world, yes, not a single setting would have any issues at all at launch. Of course, that is the same world in which a game doesn't have any issues at launch, period -- so, for a variety of reasons, not the world we live in.

So should those settings be removed? No. That's actually the response people who are completely outraged at a few options being available are engendering, but it's obviously terrible and objectivel worse for everyone. Sadly, it's already a reality for many lesser PC versions, which ship with a minimum of options.

The best solution to this dilemma between people's lack of rationality, limited development resources, and the desire to still offer maximum flexibility to those who can deal with it is probably to move any significantly-beyond-console settings to a .ini file.

I get your point. But the problem is that people who have a PC with well above the recommended settings are still struggling to max the game. In many other games, recommended means it's safe to assume that their PC is capable of maxing settings, or at least high with good performance. But believe me, I've read lots of reports from gtx 980/980ti, even the newer 1070/1080 users that they have to deal with high settings with some settings turned down/off to achieve locked 60fps. If even the most advanced PC can't max out the settings, why should the devs put those settings in the game, even as an option? What's the purpose of those settings?

leng jai

I get your point. But the problem is that people who have a PC with well above the recommended settings are still struggling to max the game. In many other games, recommended means it's safe to assume that their PC is capable of maxing settings, or at least high with good performance. But believe me, I've read lots of reports from gtx 980/980ti, even the newer 1070/1080 users that they have to deal with high settings with some settings turned down/off to achieve locked 60fps. If the most advanced PC can't max out the settings, why should the devs put those settings in the game, even as an option? What's the purpose of those settings?

So people can use them at a later date when they upgrade their computers. I do that all the time with old goes once I buy a new video card. The bigger problem is that half the high end settings don't even appear to be working 100% correctly while still tanking performance.

Got a 980Ti and 3770K with 16GB RAM. I'm using these settings and I've totally given up on solid 60fps now. It's just not possible at 1440p.

Iq5MBcs.png

Durante

I get your point. But the problem is that people who have a PC with well above the recommended settings are still struggling to max the game. In many other games, recommended means it's safe to assume that their PC is capable of maxing settings, or at least high with good performance.
People who meet the recommended specs can easily run the game on high with good performance.

It should never ever be "safe to assume" that you can "max" settings.
That's the sign of a mediocre port of a high-end game.

If even the most advanced PC can't max out the settings, why should the devs put those settings in the game, even as an option? What's the purpose of those settings?
For the future.

That said, the "most advanced PC" can easily "max out" the settings. My PC is far from the most advanced, and I can play with the settings (other than MSAA) "maxed out", even at 1440p (never mind 1080p) at well above 40 FPS.

Qassim

I get your point. But the problem is that people who have a PC with well above the recommended settings are still struggling to max the game. In many other games, recommended means it's safe to assume that their PC is capable of maxing settings, or at least high with good performance. But believe me, I've read lots of reports from gtx 980/980ti, even the newer 1070/1080 users that they have to deal with high settings with some settings turned down/off to achieve locked 60fps. If even the most advanced PC can't max out the settings, why should the devs put those settings in the game, even as an option? What's the purpose of those settings?

1. Recommended actually rarely means 'you can max this game', mostly only in lacking console ports and generally not particularly scalable games is that true.

2. Because that's a great thing about PC gaming! You can come back in 5 years and play it and it looks even better and runs even better than it did when the game first came out. Why remove that just because some people refuse to have their pride hurt because they can't run something their hardware wouldn't be capable of anyway - just turn down some fuckin settings, it's pretty simple.

So people can use them at a later date when they upgrade their computers. I do that all the time with old goes once I buy a new video card. The bigger problem is that half the high end settings don't even appear to be working 100% correctly while still tanking performance.

People who meet the recommended specs can easily run the game on high with good performance.

It should never ever be "safe to assume" that you can "max" settings.

For the future.

That said, the "most advanced PC" can easily "max out" the settings. My PC is far from the most advanced, and I can play with the settings (other than MSAA) "maxed out", even at 1440p (never mind 1080p) at well above 40 FPS.

1. Recommended actually rarely means 'you can max this game', mostly only in lacking console ports and generally not particularly scalable games is that true.

2. Because that's a great thing about PC gaming! You can come back in 5 years and play it and it looks even better and runs even better than it did when the game first came out. Why remove that just because some people refuse to have their pride hurt because they can't run something their systems aren't capable of - just turn down some fuckin settings, it's pretty simple.

If so, then why did they use gtx 970 as the recommended settings? If there's a comparison between gtx 970 recommended games and how they run on those games, that would be great.

And as you said, some settings don't work as intended. But why does it feel like a sin if someone here says that this is not a good port?

Axial

Sorry for not reading 36 pages, what settings are you looking at for 1080p/60fps (without dips) using a GTX 970 / 3570k @ 4.3GHz?
I have the same cpu/gpu combo with 12gigs of ram. The GeforceExperience recommended settings are a rocksolid 60fps for me(mostly high settings with some postfx like volumetric lighting and ambient occlusion turned off). Going for the complete high preset gives 60fps with drops to lower 50's during gameplay(the built in benchmark shows max 60 avg 52 and lowest 45 fps). If you experience framepacing issues with v-sync, try switching between exclusive and borderless fullscreen to see which mode has less stutter.

Sanctuary

It's almost like it's 2007 again.

But can your PC run Deus Ex: Mankind Divided?

I get your point. But the problem is that people who have a PC with well above the recommended settings are still struggling to max the game. In many other games, recommended means it's safe to assume that their PC is capable of maxing settings, or at least high with good performance.

That's almost never been the case in most graphics intensive games. It usually means a mix of high, ultra and even sometimes medium.

2. Because that's a great thing about PC gaming! You can come back in 5 years and play it and it looks even better and runs even better than it did when the game first came out. Why remove that just because some people refuse to have their pride hurt because they can't run something their hardware wouldn't be capable of anyway - just turn down some fuckin settings, it's pretty simple.

It's going to be terrible if the "me too" crowd cries loud enough that they screw it up for the rest of us.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I never considered that having the recommended spec for a game meant I could run it maxed out. High preset maybe, but not maxed.

For me, min spec always meant I *could* run the game on low/medium settings (or console-equivalent settings for a port) and have a good time, and recommended spec meant I could run it at high/ultra settings, but never with absolutely all the bells and whistles on.

Getting annoyed at the devs because some can't achieve 'Max settings' is silly because it's not a right. This is the culture we live in today where people assume 'high settings' are unsavoury and everything needs to be on ultra or the graphics are somehow missing out. Lol.

leng jai

"Recommended" means running the game smoothly at pretty good visual fidelity, usually around medium - high. There are no games that list a 1080 for recommended setttings, that would be under "optimal".

Sanctuary

Getting annoyed at the devs because some can't achieve 'Max settings' is silly because it's not a right. This is the culture we live in today where people assume 'high settings' are unsavoury and everything needs to be on ultra or the graphics are somehow missing out. Lol.

7/10, 8/10, medium and high = shit!

Even so, there's no telling yet how optimized or not the game truly is.

Brockxz

What does even recommended means today? Recommended for what resolution? There is word recommended specs but it doesn't say recommended for what settings. Why people assume recommended means max out everything. I can't remember a game that let you do that on recommended settings. There is always a few settings you would not touch if you want to keep those 60+ fps.

Top Bottom