• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided PC performance thread

Because a 970 runs the game at ~60 FPS average at high settings.

Doesn't seem like the impressions I'm getting from the reviews, or at least from this thread.

However, maybe I'm just wrong as obviously I haven't read every pages. Thank you for bearing with me, Durante.

Anyway, this kind of discussions reminds me of Rise of the Tomb Raider. Apparently the game has very positive reviews (91%) on Steam. Maybe Deus Ex will follow suit later, as I really hope this game do well for the sake of the next Deus Ex games.

Jebral

Well, my two cents:

4670k at 4.1 ghz
16gb ram
1070 FTW

I can get very reasonable performance, minimal frame drops in north Prague just by dropping cloth physics and the level of detail down a notch.

2TYb.png

Once I fired up afterburner and saw that it was my cpu at 100% usage more often than I would have thought... bam. Not exactly locked 60fps, but its still entirely playable and drops below mid 50s are exceedingly rare. GPU usage has stayed totally acceptable so I figured I'd splurge on volumetric lighting, the other supposed fps killer :)

1080p and no MSAA, of course.

Doesn't seem like the impressions I'm getting from the reviews, or at least from this thread.

However, maybe I'm just wrong as obviously I haven't read every pages. Thank you for bearing with me, Durante.

Anyway, this kind of discussions reminds me of Rise of the Tomb Raider. Apparently the game has very positive reviews (91%) on Steam. Maybe Deus Ex will follow suit later, as I really hope this game do well for the sake of the next Deus Ex games.

not the impression i got either

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._graphics_performance_benchmark_review,6.html
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2016/08/23/deus-ex-mankind-divided-benchmarked/3
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Deus_Ex_Mankind_Divided/5.html
http://www.legitreviews.com/deus-ex-mankind-divided-dx11-video-card-benchmarks_185666/4

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I'm finding that when the framerate gets choppy, by going in and out of the inventory screen smoothes it out. Very weird.

d00d3n

Just a word of advice: If you are running the game in 21:9, consider not getting the remote hacking augmentation. There game world will be populated with even more misaligned UI elements, because every item that can be interacted with using remote hacking will be marked with a misaligned 2d marker from a distance. Sadly, it is a really good aug to get other than that ...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=214814379&postcount=1070
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=214815414&postcount=1076
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=214812912&postcount=1060
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215040999&postcount=1810

Bonus:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=214991991&postcount=1705

That's the benchmark running at 48-50 FPS on 970, with that score in the benchmark the in-game average will be around 60.

There's no 970 here.

Computerbase did an actual in-game benchmark. No 970 either, but 1060 shouldn't be too far off:
md_computerbasetcu5r.png

i dont have the game so i definitely cant refute. the benchmark sequence isnt comprised of scenes you will eventually get to in game? if so, later levels could become more demanding

the link with no 970 had a 1060 which is going to be the same or faster than a 970

Durante

i dont have the game so i definitely cant refute. the benchmark sequence isnt compared of scenes you will eventually get to in game?
I've played for 10 hours, and the benchmark scene is ~15% to 20% more GPU heavy than the heaviest scene I've seen in the actual gameplay.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Nice, let us know how it goes. (For those keeping track, that's the second case in as many pages of extremely bad performance not actually being caused by the game).

Will do. Yeah, kind of relieved it wasn't actually the game. Excited to actually play it. Going to fiddle around with the heatsink when I get off work in a few hours to see if it can manage until Saturday. Then the new heatsink and paste should get here, and hopefully I can get a little extra juice out of it. (Tried an OC recently, but it wasn't that stable so I removed it, in hindsight I'm thinking this is the reason.)

Would it be terrible to run the CPU at 104c for tonight if I have to? Would like to get some game time in, but also don't want to fry it by not just waiting a day for the new heatsink...

i dont have the game so i definitely cant refute. the benchmark sequence isnt comprised of scenes you will eventually get to in game? if so, later levels could become more demanding

the link with no 970 had a 1060 which is going to be the same or faster than a 970

Most gameplay is much less demanding although non interactive in engine cut scenes are quite demanding.

Paz

Bless you Durante, saving us from dreadful PC versions of games and attempting to educate PC players so that devs don't have to massively compromise their PC versions to make people feel happy about 'maxing' things.

Durante

Also interesting to note how in the gameplay benchmark run, the 1060 is slightly faster than the 480, while it is the other way around in most of the built-in benchmark test results. In a Gaming Evolved title. Just saying.

Would it be terrible to run the CPU at 104c for tonight if I have to? Would like to get some game time in, but also don't want to fry it by not just waiting a day for the new heatsink...
It's not really a good idea. Thermal throttling should prevent it from going up in flames, that's its purpose, but still.

nOoblet16

It's a bit strange that little has been said about the bug that slows Jensen down when going up and down the stairs. It's only present on PC and it seems to split Jensen's Velocity between X and Y axis...causing his forward movement to be slower.

I get your point. But the problem is that people who have a PC with well above the recommended settings are still struggling to max the game. In many other games, recommended means it's safe to assume that their PC is capable of maxing settings, or at least high with good performance. But believe me, I've read lots of reports from gtx 980/980ti, even the newer 1070/1080 users that they have to deal with high settings with some settings turned down/off to achieve locked 60fps. If even the most advanced PC can't max out the settings, why should the devs put those settings in the game, even as an option? What's the purpose of those settings?
The purpose of putting then in game is so that in the future you could use them. Remember Witcher 2's Uber sampling?

You can max out Deus Ex using those cards and get 60FPS just not with MSAA. Would you say a game is unoptimised if you can't get 60FPS while using SSAA? I don't think so....it's a similar case here.

TNH853

i have a gtx 1060 and with ultra textures on 1080p i get full 6gb vram usage in msi afterburner. can anybody with a 8gb card report how much vram this game needs?

my settings:
1080p, msaa off. chs off, everything else on max.

Arex

Finally the game seems to not freeze every 15 mins anymore, since I reached Prague at least.. I hope this keeps up lol
My current setting, 1440p, no MSAA, seems to run 60 fps most of the time, but I'm still early in Prague

5820k @ 4ghz
16 gb ram
980TI

980TI good enough /stable for ultra setting on texture?

7naPCMg.jpg

Vitor711

Anyone know how much the Cloth Physics affect FPS? I'm hovering at around 50FPS in Prague and a 10% boost or so would be great.

980 with 15% OC, i5-4690k, 1440p.

Hojaho

Well shit.
This is me in Prague with an i5 3570K @ 4.2 Ghz

Clearly getting CPU bottlenecked right now. GPU usage is at 70%-80% with a 980 Ti.
End of an era, time to upgrade my system.

I have the exact same CPU and clock. And I have the exact same problem lol. As soon as I go through the larger parts of Prague, CPU usage is at 100% and I get some stuttering.

First PC game I've played in a while that keeps crashing at random times. Horrible mess.

Worst thing is having to watch the insane amount of intros all over again to get back in.

Finally the game seems to not freeze every 15 mins anymore, since I reached Prague at least.. I hope this keeps up lol
My current setting, 1440p, no MSAA, seems to run 60 fps most of the time, but I'm still early in Prague

5820k @ 4ghz
16 gb ram
980TI

7naPCMg.jpg
For the love of all that is holy, turn up the Anisotropic FIltering to 16x. This is PC, baby.

SCB3

yNLwHAP.png

Running just fine in 1080p 60fps

Fx-6300 Black
Nvidia GTX 950
12gb RAM

Installed on a 7200rpm HDD

Load times on startup are long (at least 2 mins) but fine after that

ISee

Anyone know how much the Cloth Physics affect FPS? I'm hovering at around 50FPS in Prague and a 10% boost or so would be great.

980 with 15% OC, i5-4690k, 1440p.

What are your settings?

There is a post from Nixxes about the settings:
http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=190749

Cloth Physics
Disabling this reduces the quality of cloth simulation. This only impacts CPU performance.

From the sound of it Volumetric Lighting and shadows have the highest impact on GPUs.

SimplexPL

Why remove that just because some people refuse to have their pride hurt because they can't run something their hardware wouldn't be capable of anyway - just turn down some fuckin settings, it's pretty simple.

Let me paste again wisdom from Rock Paper Shotgun comments section:

"I started enjoying PC games more after I learned to start on medium/high settings and turn things up if there was room to, instead of starting on ultra and turning things down. "

d00d3n

I tried to make a comprehensive list of the 21:9 UI issues:
red damage indicator:
damageindicatorkmqxz.jpg

enemy markers:
enemymarkerrpp4b.jpg

enemymarker2sgoj1.jpg

enemy alert markers:
enemyalerts3o6y.jpg

enemy hit markers (not the reticle though):
enemyhitmarkerdxrfk.jpg

hacking:
hackinghprhe.jpg

remote hacking:
remotehackingt2rxw.jpg

augmented reality item information:
iteminfo91rmp.jpg

objective markers:
objectivemarker0equb.jpg

objectivemarker2s8rae.jpg

SimplexPL

You should, both make a big difference. Especially AF makes huge difference for the nigh-zero performance costs it incurs.

jzCq5sT.jpg

It boggles my mind that many games have low AF (or no AF) on consoles.

The purpose of putting then in game is so that in the future you could use them. Remember Witcher 2's Uber sampling?
4 years later Ubersampling brings overclocked 1080 to it's knees (not possible to achieve 1080p60 with Ubersampling)

i have a gtx 1060 and with ultra textures on 1080p i get full 6gb vram usage in msi afterburner. can anybody with a 8gb card report how much vram this game needs?

Difference between very high and ultra textures is almost impreceptible, for 6GB VRAM I'd go with Very High - as per recommendation of computerbase.de
There's almost no difference (see digital foundry video: https://youtu.be/xXVljGD-Aiw?t=499 ), similar to Ultra textures in Mordor, which required 6GB VRAM.

Worst thing is having to watch the insane amount of intros all over again to get back in.
Tsk, tsk, did not read the OP ;)

People who meet the recommended specs can easily run the game on high with good performance.

It should never ever be "safe to assume" that you can "max" settings.
That's the sign of a mediocre port of a high-end game.

For the future.

That said, the "most advanced PC" can easily "max out" the settings. My PC is far from the most advanced, and I can play with the settings (other than MSAA) "maxed out", even at 1440p (never mind 1080p) at well above 40 FPS.

Durante doing great work here, as usual.

I want games to provide options for super-high settings that are barely possible with typical current-gen technology. And I'd prefer them to be in game and not require extensive websearches to find the correct syntax for .ini hacks.
I think the best option is to put the really crazy options behind extra menus and/or splash screens that warn against their use on normal gaming hardware.

MSAA is insanely demanding now, but when Deus Ex:Humanity Embiggened comes out in 2020, I might want to re-run this game and my 10nm Einstein-architecture Geforce 3060 is going to laugh at 8xMSAA and ultra settings on my 4K/120Hz monitor (maybe).

The recent obsession with being able to "max" the settings is incredibly stupid. Especially with the baseline recommended hardware.

Max means nothing. All that matters is image quality and framerate stability.
I never came close to maxing Crysis, but even on medium it looked much better than all those other games that I could 'max-out' at the time.

Anyway, to return to the OT. My 970 (with a 2500K/8GB RAM) does okay (30-60 FPS) at very high and well (60 FPS) at high.
I don't see much difference in visual quality between them (I'd need a side-by-side comparison to notice anything).
I did put it on low for a quick test and the game looks surprisingly good. People really should feel the need to switch everything to ultra in this game.

I do get a bit a big stutter/delay, when I pull up the menu/inventory/map. It can be really annoying.
Is anyone else getting this? Maybe it's a memory issue since I only have 8GB. I have it on SSD so I can't hear it if it's cache-thrashing.

nOoblet16

Since you made that comparison with Crysis I'm sure someone will make a comment on how Deus Ex "doesn't even look that good" compared to other games out today.

Completely ignoring that it's demanding for a different reason that Crysis was at the time and the fact that the game does look fantastic and employs lots of high end features.

Sanctuary

For the love of all that is holy, turn up the Anisotropic FIltering to 16x. This is PC, baby.

You wouldn't believe how many articles for this game have random AF numbers well below 16x. You'd think by now that anyone who's been gaming on PC for a few years would know that 16x is pretty much the standard unless you're running on beyond ancient hardware.

ViviOggi

Anyone else's map busted? The points where you hover over an objective or shop marker to make the tooltip appear are completely out of place on mine. 1080p, max fov

leng jai

Since you made that comparison with Crysis I'm sure someone will make a comment on how Deus Ex "doesn't even look that good" compared to other games out today.

Completely ignoring that it's demanding for a different reason that Crysis was at the time and the fact that the game does look fantastic and employs lots of high end features.

Genuine question, what exactly makes it as or more demanding than ROTR or Witcher 3? The confusion for a lot of people is that simply looking at the visuals doesn't seem to justify the performance costs compared to other high end titles.

Arex

You should, both make a big difference. Especially AF makes huge difference for the nigh-zero performance costs it incurs.

It boggles my mind that many games have low AF (or no AF) on consoles.

Difference between very high and ultra textures is almost impreceptible, for 6GB VRAM I'd go with Very High - as per recommendation of computerbase.de
There's almost no difference (see digital foundry video: https://youtu.be/xXVljGD-Aiw?t=499 ), similar to Ultra textures in Mordor, which required 6GB VRAM.

cheers! I'll up the AF and keep the texture on very high :d

nOoblet16

Genuine question, what exactly makes as or more demanding than ROTR or Witcher 3?
For one it's MSAA. Although TR has SSAA...which tanks performance even more.

Additionally this game is very dense, has a lot of moveable objects, the lighting, shadowing and even little things like reflections in this game are more advanced than both ROTR and Witcher 3. Even the high versions of those features are more advanced, let alone the more demanding ultra version. It is also shader heavy because it uses them liberally, for exanple you would never see POM used so liberally in either Tomb Raider or Wither 3.

Could you point me to where you're actually seeing contact hardening for reflection there? All I see is just SSAO kicking in on contact.

dxmd_2016_08_24_18_55jwyam.png

I think this is another example where I can see it (or maybe I am still seing some aggregate effect which is decidedly "not" it).

pa22word

Anyone trying reshade? If you're using lumasharpen, what are your settings?

Personally I'm tempted to just downsample from whatever will hold 45 FPS and go from there.

i am aware of it and it´s not an issue. i was just wondering how much vram this game needs on 1080p ?

Here is the game, with Ultra textures using 6.7 GB of VRAM @ 1920X1080. I have a 12GB card.
Anyone trying reshade? If you're using lumasharpen, what are your settings?

I am using Jim2Point's settings which I find to be a healthy amount of sharpen, but not too much. Just very subtle (you can see it in the screen above).

Sharpen Strength: 0.50
Sharpenclamp: 0.010

SliChillax

I find sharpening to make the game look better at 1440p with TAA also activated. It looks too blurry with TAA only so sharpness improves it a bit without introducing major jaggies. MSAA is just a killer, don't even think about activating it.

Arkanius

Here is the game, with Ultra textures using 6.7 GB of VRAM @ 1920X1080. I have a 12GB card.

I am using Jim2Point's settings which I find to be a healthy amount of sharpen, but not too much. Just very subtle (you can see it in the screen above).

Sharpen Strength: 0.50
Sharpenclamp: 0.010

From what was tested.
Ultra Textures -> 8GB VRAM
Very High Textures -> 6GB of VRAM
High Textures -> 4GB of VRAM

Seems to be a rule.

PnCIa

What this game really needs, except for some bug fixes, is a slider for the sharpness setting. When you sit at a reasonable distance of your TV its okay, but at shorter distances....uuuuggggghhhhh.

Also, i dont know if this bug was already discovered: The game seems to have problems with the aspect ratio in exclusive fullscreen when you set up a variety of non-native aspect ratio (meaning 4:3 on a 16:9 display) downsampling resolutions. In exclusive, my 16:9 is screwed up no matter what until i remove my downsampling resolutions inside the Nvidia driver.

Ruff

Great, now I'm CTD'ing everytime I take the subway back for the last part of the Harvester misson.

This game hates subways doesn't it.

Dec

A 970 definitely can manage 60 fps at high most of the time. lowest framerate for me is 45 and that's in Prague where my i7 860 from 2009 is the cause.

Fitts

Preset to ultra, turned down shadows and lighting to "on", triple buffered vsync, and no msaa. I don't run a frame counter, but I haven't noticed any issues running these settings at 1080p on a 1070/4790k. I'm playing on a plasma too so there's no LCD/oled blur to help hide flaws. About 6 hours in, still dicking around in Prague.

Pretty happy with how the game looks overall. Some jarring animations (like lip syncing) and a few textures here and there that seem lower res than others, but a decent looking game with some strong art direction.

Top Bottom