• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided PC performance thread

Drogean

I know. But it's still surprising that nixxes/eidos worked on the game for years and their AO solution is worse form something that a (experienced) NeoGAF user threw together in external tool on a whim.

After seeing the state of no mans sky, you should definitely know how lazy devs can be.

But I'll give you a great example of how poor some of the effects are ingame, turn up your ingame AO and disable your TAA. Then walk around prague. Lets just say there's a massive reason that Temporal AA option is sitting there semi hidden and as a default "always on" setting.

jorimt

But I'll give you a great example of how poor some of the effects are ingame, turn up your ingame AO and disable your TAA. Then walk around prague. Lets just say there's a massive reason that Temporal AA option is sitting there as a default "always on" setting.

Yes, it is already known that, while it has more coverage, Very High AO is currently inferior to "On" AO, and introduces flickering. It looks like they simply increased the radius without adjusting anything else, especially seeing as the Very High AO has no additional performance impact.

I made a post about its quirks here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=214864809&postcount=1300

That said, "On" is acceptable for a basic SSAO solution, but far from optimal.

DieH@rd

Banned
It looks like I am CPU bound with FX8350. No matter what settings I use, open city scenes drop my framerate to 25-38 [with rx470, 8gb fo ram].

Hopefully DX12 will ease that bottlenec a bit.

Any other impressions from FX8350 users?

napata

It looks like I am CPU bound with FX8350. No matter what settings I use, open city scenes drop my framerate to 25-38 [with rx470, 8gb fo ram].

Hopefully DX12 will ease that bottlenec a bit.

Any other impressions from FX8350 users?

My friend has one at 4.8 ghz and it runs pretty well. Atleast that's what he said. He has an Nvidia card though (1070).

Slower cpu's are a really bad match with AMD cards. Even low level APIs don't get rid of all the CPU overhead on AMD cards completely.

SimplexPL

If anyone tests Drogean's real SSAO before I get back from work, please post comparisons here, I suppose jorimt will be eager to compare :)

After seeing the state of no mans sky, you should definitely know how lazy devs can be.
Lazy, or unexperienced/pressed for time. And let's not compare small indie dev who has 2 games behind their belt with a huge team with years of AAA gamedev experience. I have different expectations towards them.

I am relatively new and Souls is not my cup of tea, but I know Durante fixed Souls.
However, Japanese devs are notorious for unbelievably shitty PC ports, so that is a bit different circumstance.

jorimt

If anyone tests Drogean's real SSAO before I get back from work, please post comparisons here, I suppose jorimt will be eager to compare :)

As requested (results speak for themselves):

nWQx.png

In-game AO disabled.

w7dE.png

In-game AO "On."

xeOn.png

In-game AO "Very High."

0GJv.png

Drogean's SSAO.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
My friend has one at 4.8 ghz and it runs pretty well. Atleast that's what he said. He has an Nvidia card though (1070).

Slower cpu's are a really bad match with AMD cards. Even low level APIs don't get rid of all the CPU overhead on AMD cards completely.

You sure? Because on Vulkan I noticed my 280X is bottlenecking my (stock) FX6300 CPU a bit, same in Witcher 3, which is DX11. And I'd trust your friend's claim of 4.8Ghz OC, the FX chips overclock really well if you have proper cooling, you can in most cases do a 1ghz OC with an aftermarket cooler, which helps out a lot.

Edit: Feel I should add that they're about the same, load-wise, in Novigrad, but I did see people with the 6300 and a 970 getting better FPS there, but could be they're running 4.5ghz OC, of course.

jorimt

Annnd, the patch is refusing to download for me; infinitely stuck at "Starting." Restarted my computer, cleared the download cache both in the options and manually, and nothing. Hmm.

Annnd, the patch is refusing to download for me; infinitely stuck at "Starting." Restarted my computer, cleared the download cache both in the options and manually, and nothing. Hmm.

Same here.

On another note I'm still not sure why Nixxes thinks we need separate X and Y sensitivities for mouselook... it makes zero sense.

JohngPR

Latest patch not downloading for me either. Just says 0 bytes/0 bytes and when I try to manually initiate, it goes to and then goes back to being schedule for a later time.

jorimt

Not sure if I'm missing something but the very high AO (as it's supposed to be) looks miles better than the custom AO or high AO.

Or maybe that's just my personal preference.

It has more distant coverage than "On" AO, but has severe flickering artifacts and no AO coverage on the viewmodel as a result.

Patch notes:

[26-08-2016] PC Patch notes for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patch build 524.10
We have just released the second PC patch for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, v3.0 build 524.10. This patch focusses on critical issues that were reported by users during the week after release.

This patch will be applied by Steam automatically when you next start the game. If your game does not update, please restart the Steam client.

The following fixes are in this patch:
Adjustments to the Mouse Sensitivity settings, which mean that you can now set sensitivity for the X and Y axis separately.
Increased range of Mouse Sensitivity settings.
Fixed an issue that could cause missing geometry in the Dubai level.
Fixed an issue with player movement and running on stairs and sloped surfaces.
Fixed various issues with 21:9 setups.
Fixed an issue where the “Unmark All” prompt would stay on screen.
Field of view setting now displays the angle used.

While we expect this patch to be an improvement for everyone, if you do have trouble with this patch and prefer to stay on older versions, we have made a Beta available on Steam, v1.0_build 524.6 and v2.0_build 524.7, that can be used to switch back to previous versions.

We will keep monitoring for feedback and will release further patches as it seems required. We always welcome your feedback!

knerl

Yup impossibiru indeed.

The 1070 runs hitman at 4k maxed out at 40fps. Might underestimate the 1070 which is a serious beast. Not saying it runs DXMD at those settings at 60fps without doubt, but I don't think it sound impossible at all considering.

SimplexPL

1070 is basically 980Ti (even slightly slower when both cards are overclocked to the max).
Did you see anyone here with 980Ti achieving stable 60fps at 1440p with everything maxed out AND MSAA 2x on top?

This is without MSAA 2x, which basically halves the framerate - so if that guy had 60fps with MSAA2x, then [H]ardoOCP should have 120 fps with TAA, right?

14720516156ds7JLNduD_5_2_l.gif

Source: www.hardocp.com/article/2016/08/24/deus_ex_mankind_divided_performance_iq_preview/ (could be added to OP)

1070 is basically 980Ti (even slightly slower when both cards are overclocked to the max).
Did you see anyone here with 980Ti achieving stable 60fps at 1440p with everything maxed out AND MSAA 2x on top?

As for hitman - more like 30:
hitman_3840_2160.png

And that's with the frame rate uncapped, see if you pull those numbers in Marrakesh.
Not likely.

Profanity

The 1070 runs hitman at 4k maxed out at 40fps. Might underestimate the 1070 which is a serious beast. Not saying it runs DXMD at those settings at 60fps without doubt, but I don't think it sound impossible at all considering.

This is 1440p with CHS off, Volumetric to On (so not even maxed out) and MSAAx2 on my overclocked 1080. On a (non-overclocked as well) 1070 it's never happening.

d00d3n

The following fixes are in this patch:
Adjustments to the Mouse Sensitivity settings, which mean that you can now set sensitivity for the X and Y axis separately.
Increased range of Mouse Sensitivity settings.
Fixed an issue that could cause missing geometry in the Dubai level.
Fixed an issue with player movement and running on stairs and sloped surfaces.
Fixed various issues with 21:9 setups.
Fixed an issue where the “Unmark All” prompt would stay on screen.
Field of view setting now displays the angle used.

Does anyone know exactly what was fixed regarding 21:9 setups? The small black pillars to the left and right of the game screen have been removed. I can't find any more examples than that. All of these major UI issues remain (just tested myself):
I tried to make a comprehensive list of the 21:9 UI issues:

SliChillax

Great, I've crashed 3 times at the same spot so far. Can't advance the game anymore and this was happening before and after the patch.

SimplexPL

I did not think I would live to see this - HardOCP is praising temporal AA. They were bashing TXAA every opportunity they had, so it's a welcome surprise:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/08/24/deus_ex_mankind_divided_performance_iq_preview/

there is Temporal AA which you can turn on from the Graphics Options you will see below, we think it looks better than MSAA and does not take a big hit on performance.
This is a shader based AA method, but uses a temporal algorithm to remove jaggies. It does a very good job at removing jaggies on everything, including alpha textures with minimal performance cost. If nothing else, make sure this is enabled else your game will be very aliased. This option is preferred over using MSAA.

jorimt

I found a new issue, thanks to the latest patch that added actual FOV degree values to the in-game slider. It looks like anything above 96 degrees actually reduces lod distance, and introduces flickering between the high quality and lower quality lod model transitions. I would post a video, but I don't have any means of doing a quick upload. If anyone know an easy way to upload videos besides youtube, let me know.

If anyone wants to test this themselves, face your back against the exterior front door of the Palisade Bank. Walk forward, then backward multiple times, and note the lod transitions in the distance. At 96 and under, no flicker, longer transition distances. 98 or above, shorter lod distances, and lots of flicker between the transitions.

Not sure what's going on there, but I'm keeping mine at 90 for now.

jorimt

napata

You sure? Because on Vulkan I noticed my 280X is bottlenecking my (stock) FX6300 CPU a bit, same in Witcher 3, which is DX11. And I'd trust your friend's claim of 4.8Ghz OC, the FX chips overclock really well if you have proper cooling, you can in most cases do a 1ghz OC with an aftermarket cooler, which helps out a lot.

I'm basing it on the benchmarks below. As you can see a 8350@4.6 bottlenecks the 480 and makes it perform worse than a 1060, even in Vulkan. It actually seems Vulkan is better at eliminating the CPU bottleneck for Nvidia cards than for AMD cards. The 1060 almost performs the same on a x4 955 versus a 6700k@4.5 in Vulkan.

W3 isn't a very CPU intensive game outside a few key locations. Would be surprised if you weren't CPU bottlenecked in Novigrad.

Top Bottom