• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 |OT| Class Reunion

pixxxelz

Does Patrick appear at all in this game? He was one of my favorite characters in the first one and I was hoping he'd play a bigger role in this one but so far he's only been mentioned once and I'm pretty sure I'm close to the end right now.

Also Jusis second S-Craft is so silly lol.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
definitely feels that way, honestly with the rocky path this series has taken to get here though I'm not that ordered about play order, I just want to play them all.
I feel the same. I'm glad to play these games at all.

Firestar

Does Patrick appear at all in this game? He was one of my favorite characters in the first one and I was hoping he'd play a bigger role in this one but so far he's only been mentioned once and I'm pretty sure I'm close to the end right now.

Also Jusis second S-Craft is so silly lol.

Hes there. I think you probably aren't as close to the end as you think then.

Can confirm, haven't felt this empty after finishing a game in a while.
I used to get this empty feeling a lot when finishing great games, or much more rarely watching good shows, movies, and anime. Now I've managed to replace that with a better feeling that comes from spending more time discussing those games. I'd love to have more cold steel to play, but I'm also glad I can talk about the game too. So while I'm left wondering what more will come from this series, and possibly worried about the path they take, I'm also quite content.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I used to get this empty feeling a lot when finishing great games, or much more rarely watching good shows, movies, and anime. Now I've managed to replace that with a better feeling that comes from spending more time discussing those games. I'd love to have more cold steel to play, but I'm also glad I can talk about the game too. So while I'm left wondering what more will come from this series, and possibly worried about the path they take, I'm also quite content.
This is why I love GAF. I spent a good month talking about MGSV after I beat it, and spent an equal amount of time in the CS1 thread, haha. It completes the experience.

About to fight
Duke Albarea. Jusis getting his character arc. Awesome.

Firestar

I agree, and there's a lot to discuss too. Hopefully we get the crossbell games in a not too distant future

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Guys is there any difference between the horse and bike on field for speed or are they both the same ?

SolVanderlyn

Guys is there any difference between the horse and bike on field for speed or are they both the same ?
The bike is cooler and only Rean can ride it.

Bladenic

I literally just checked every single enemy entry, and I believe I've scanned them all 100%. Got every single piece of info filled out, no ???. Yet, no trophy. I'm bummed. Anyone else experience this? Possible bug? I tweeted Xseed but I doubt they'll respond lmao

Orbal Bike
- customizable
- side car
- can reverse

Horse
- smell bad
- temperamental
- poops
I like that the horses allow you to see a lot of combination of riders, whereas with the bike its always rean, or rean + someone in side car

I literally just checked every single enemy entry, and I believe I've scanned them all 100%. Got every single piece of info filled out, no ???. Yet, no trophy. I'm bummed. Anyone else experience this? Possible bug? I tweeted Xseed but I doubt they'll respond lmao
where at in the game are you?

Bladenic

I like that the horses allow you to see a lot of combination of riders, whereas with the bike its always rean, or rean + someone in side car

where at in the game are you?

The
epilogue. I have 331/331 and the trophy guide states that these sections don't matter.
Unless it's mistaken, I should have the trophy.

Psxphile

Were you playing in New Game+? Thought I heard NG+ had an exclusive optional boss fight.

The
epilogue. I have 331/331 and the trophy guide states that these sections don't matter.
I ignored that trophy, but does it require that there are no ??? within the pages? I'm not sure how it works.

Were you playing in New Game+? Thought I heard NG+ had an exclusive optional boss fight.
I believe thats under the EX sections taht dont count for the trophy

in other items. I took a couple screenshots from the amazing sara final bonding event
http://imgur.com/a/W62M4

I will probably record the whole thing to youtube

Bladenic

No DLC again today? These companies really should learn that they'll make the most money from these costume DLC when the game is fresh and out, not weeks later. I really wanted that Estelle and Joshua outfit DLC :/

wat

So what counts and what doesn't?
Is it the same for chests too?

it actually tells you when you start the epilogue dungeon "These enemies appear in the ex section, which doesnt count for the associated trophy" or something like that. So if its in an EX section it doesnt count

No DLC again today? These companies really should learn that they'll make the most money from these costume DLC when the game is fresh and out, not weeks later. I really wanted that Estelle and Joshua outfit DLC :/
considering the game was only $40 I was basically ready to grab the costumes for the hell of it, but now I've beaten the game and it doesnt feel like theres any point once they finally release

it actually tells you when you start the epilogue dungeon "These enemies appear in the ex section, which doesnt count for the associated trophy" or something like that. So if its in an EX section it doesnt count

And the two enemies from the NG+ boss are in the EX section.

Yeah, this is frustrating. When localizing a game you'd think they'd want to have these ready week 1.

Hatsuu

XSEED
Oo, that's neat. Does that mean Xseed used some additional material? I don't think I've ever seen some of those images on the game's proper.

While I'm at it, kudos to Xseed's translation and localization team, as well as the voice directors and actors. Some of the dramatic scenes would not be able to emotionally affected me this much were it not for their amazing efforts.

Yay. It's nice to hear that.

As for the "additional materials"... (please only read if you've finished the entire game)
In the JP version, there's two sets of credits: one after the finale in English, and one after the Epilogue in Japanese. They're basically the same sets of credits. While it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, I thought it'd be a little weird if we displayed the credits in English twice, so I explained the situation to the developers and asked if we could try something a little different. The idea I proposed was to 1.) subtitle the song that plays during the credits because the lyrics hold a lot of weight, and 2.) replace the credits with flashback images throughout the game in chronological order if possible with the theme of meetings, partings, and loss. I'd chosen a ton of flashback images and set a time to them, then showed it to Falcom. They said they liked the idea and agreed to put it together for me once we provided the lyrics.

I was pretty blown away when I tested the first build to have the video in, because I was expecting a pretty basic slideshow and they went all out on it. The new images in the ending--the ones related to Jusis, Laura, Emma, Millium, and Crow/George/Angelica/Towa--were a complete surprise, because I'd never requested new images. When I'd asked about them, they said they liked the idea so much that they had new images drawn for the lead characters without flashback images to fill things in. So those images are exclusive to our version and that ED was the first time they were revealed anywhere. It was really swell of the devs to take the idea to that extent.

Did you turn in the completed guide to the glasses dude on the ship?

Firestar

As for the "additional materials"... (please only read if you've finished the entire game)
In the JP version, there's two sets of credits: one after the finale in English, and one after the Epilogue in Japanese. They're basically the same sets of credits. While it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, I thought it'd be a little weird if we displayed the credits in English twice, so I explained the situation to the developers and asked if we could try something a little different. The idea I proposed was to 1.) subtitle the song that plays during the credits because the lyrics hold a lot of weight, and 2.) replace the credits with flashback images throughout the game in chronological order if possible with the theme of meetings, partings, and loss. I'd chosen a ton of flashback images and set a time to them, then showed it to Falcom. They said they liked the idea and agreed to put it together for me once we provided the lyrics.

I was pretty blown away when I tested the first build to have the video in, because I was expecting a pretty basic slideshow and they went all out on it. The new images in the ending--the ones related to Jusis, Laura, Emma, Millium, and Crow/George/Angelica/Towa--were a complete surprise, because I'd never requested new images. When I'd asked about them, they said they liked the idea so much that they had new images drawn for the lead characters without flashback images to fill things in. So those images are exclusive to our version and that ED was the first time they were revealed anywhere. It was really swell of the devs to take the idea to that extent.

That's a neat story, thanks for your hard work! It was a really great localization, looking forward to more from you guys

awesome...seriously thats so awesome

ok, NOW I'm finished. Random thoughts.

1. Long ending is loooooooooooooooooooooong. Holy crap. It took me 4 hours AFTER a late night to beat everything from McBURNTOCINDERSCHAOTICFLAME to the part where I go "wait, I know these people from OH SHIT we in spoiler" town part. heh

Oh well. I knew going in that would sprinkle my experience so I shouldnt gripe when I get wet.

2. Crow shoulda been pulled from that cockpit dead right after Cedric was alive, plus there was faaaaaaaaaaar too much shock given the dodgy chances of them actually pulling it off (which the plot bombzaldroppen surrounding his death ensured). I guess Vita was going to recruit Crow? Or was testing this "clash" thing for vague Oroborous nefarious purposes? At any rate, again, the protags forgot to be wary of her AGAIN. She ain't evil incarnate like Wiessmann and a new bastard rejoins the fray but I mean, PLEASE THINK STRAIGHT. Didn't like these parts.

3. Rean "forgot himself" during long stretches of act 2 and the finale. Just spittin' out platitudes and holding onto crazy dreams like Crow reuniting and 3rd faction neutrality...but the latter comes about from a lack of real conversation on it (the former). His "feeling his oats" from earlier in-game just...wavers. It's like he's speaking and doing and being told and forced by the plot from being more a collection of aspects than a boy changing into a man in dire circumstances. He rarely internalizes anything, is rarely ready for anything (with a friend/rival's pep talk there to save him); there's no ego there so much of the time.

Thankfully the Epilogue got him "moving" again, but he's put himself faaaaaar behind a certain previous protag in this reguard.

4. Rixia's badass Trails nickname: the Exhibitionist Beast :p But yah, that whole bit was interesting. Music was really good there too. Rean needs to hang out with cooler people now that he's a hero. I mean, really.

5. SO MUCH HAPPENING. Not just at the end boss fight, but all thruout. Like the theming of military advancement, "new normals", and out-bastarding going on (plus all this mysterious talk from the Zephyr Bros, the Lance Maiden's history, and Osborne reguarding resurrection is REALLY juicy). New factions when this much power is up for grab has me intrigued for III.

6. Performance and graphics are much better; only wierdo shadows and about a half dozen instances of "whoa, FRAME RATE" occured. Glad they're getting comfy (even though another jump looms).

7. Muhfuggin' BRING UP TRUST is the video game song of the year. To deny this is madness. :p

But yah, the entire soundtrack is pretty damn great but much more minimalist and set on tension and operatic themes than CS1's continental sophistication.

Overall, I give it a 9/10, a strong contender for GOTY, and since this is a thing for long-running JRPG franchises: FC = CS2 > SC > > > CS1 for me so far.

Laura and the Arseid school's fued with Duvalie
Rean and his connection to McBurn for being Mixed

*final spoilers snipped from quoted post* These must happen; the latter for
my theory that Rean's gonna blow Scouters left and right once his Dark Hadou gets fully mastered like our boy Decus there.

The former cuz more Duvalie will automatically make a game better. :D

But yeah, more shoulda been resolved, like, a couple things. SC had as many as 4 deaths in it plus one defection. At least Zephyr being handled coulda worked well, especially with the cavalry right behind Class VII.

edit: oh, that's neat. Thanks Hatsuu, both for that and a great job on a great game.

Nyoro SF

Dope as hell. I <3 you XSEED.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

post-50371-inglouriouteyq8.gif

*final spoilers snipped from quoted post* These must happen; the latter for
my theory that Rean's gonna blow Scouters left and right once his Dark Hadou gets fully mastered like our boy Decus there.

The former cuz more Duvalie will automatically make a game better. :D

But yeah, more shoulda been resolved, like, a couple things. SC had as many as 4 deaths in it plus one defection. At least Zephyr being handled coulda worked well, especially with the cavalry right behind Class VII.

As I understand it, Cold Steel I and II are supposed to be just the First Chapter narrative-wise, split into two due to limited time and resource. While the upcoming Cold Steel III is supposed to be the Second Chapter. So these kind of hanging plot threads as well as Rean's incomplete character growth are to be expected, I think.

As I understand it, Cold Steel I and II are supposed to be just the First Chapter narrative-wise, split into two due to limited time and resource. While the upcoming Cold Steel III is supposed to be the Second Chapter. So these kind of hanging plot threads as well as Rean's incomplete character growth are to be expected, I think.

cs2/sc spoilers:
like, it's the start-stop nature of it. You just have him settle back into an ego-less mode at times so there's no forward movement in that gap before it gets going again. It's not bad, just "empty"; especially since so many of his classmates are off doing other things now and the New Normal is very very different for him now that his old reliables of Class VII and 3rd Faction are either gone away or out-maneuvered for the time being with no sign of what's replacing them or further threats to them like from CS1 -> CS2 or FC -> SC. It's just very odd to leave that much fallow in a protag we're in the head of so much.

SolVanderlyn

Bars

Bars everywhere

I just got to
when the tree appears in Crossbell... seriously, WHAT HAPPENS IN THOSE GAMES???

cs2/sc spoilers:
like, it's the start-stop nature of it. You just have him settle back into an ego-less mode at times so there's no forward movement in that gap before it gets going again. It's not bad, just "empty"; especially since so many of his classmates are off doing other things now and the New Normal is very very different for him now that his old reliables of Class VII and 3rd Faction are either gone away or out-maneuvered for the time being with no sign of what's replacing them or further threats to them like from CS1 -> CS2 or FC -> SC. It's just very odd to leave that much fallow in a protag we're in the head of so much.

Aa, I get it. [Sky SC / CS II]
I think this is a narrative pitfall for having a main character like Rean to begin with. Estelle has a very clear goal of "I want to be a great bracer" along with "I want Joshua" to drive her forward. Rean is pretty much just "I want to know what I want" with a dash of "I want Crow back" which is not even completely his and also completely gone when Crow is gone. This makes him feel like he's just going with the motion and playing support to everybody most of the time. Right until that last shot of his smiling face, I'm not sure if he actually had any plan or expectation going forward, especially since practically all his emotional support is gone.

Bladenic

Don't really feel like doing the final dungeon tonight, will finish tomorrow. This stupid enemy book trophy is honestly really upsetting, I didn't waste turns scanning every enemy just to not get the trophy. Le sigh. I wish someone else could at least corroborate not getting the trophy so if it is bugged Xseed could patch it. I checked my enemy book 3 times and there's not one enemy with any ??? sections. I have 323 entries before the final battles
(and there are 8 enemies in the final battles). I just redid those fights and rescanned every single one, and beat the boss in case that's necessary to "scan" it.

Oh well.

Hikami

Le sigh. I wish someone else could at least corroborate not getting the trophy so if it is bugged Xseed could patch it.

Working on getting mine. I missed like 3 enemies so I'm speeding through an Easy NG+ run to get them.
The trophy says 0.9% though so someone must've been able to get it.

Alucrid

Banned
Don't really feel like doing the final dungeon tonight, will finish tomorrow. This stupid enemy book trophy is honestly really upsetting, I didn't waste turns scanning every enemy just to not get the trophy. Le sigh. I wish someone else could at least corroborate not getting the trophy so if it is bugged Xseed could patch it. I checked my enemy book 3 times and there's not one enemy with any ??? sections. I have 323 entries before the final battles
(and there are 8 enemies in the final battles). I just redid those fights and rescanned every single one, and beat the boss in case that's necessary to "scan" it.

Oh well.

did you beat and scan all 6 training bots? there's some fights where the boss summons extra units too, which you might have missed if you killed them too fast. also maybe you have one unlocked but not filled out completely?
it's not glitched though since i got it fine

It's a PS3 game, there's no guarantee those trophies were earned legitimately.

but it's also a vita game, which i played on

Kvik

You guys finished the game already? Is the game shorter than CS1 or something? My first A1 rank run of CS1 took 185 hours. I'm still in Act 1-1 of CS2. Granted, I can only play on weekends. :-\

You guys finished the game already? Is the game shorter than CS1 or something? My first A1 rank run of CS1 took 185 hours. I'm still in Act 1-1 of CS2. Granted, I can only play on weekends. :-\

How?

I played through CS1 twice in like 175 hours.

My first run of CS1 took me just over 100 hours, and that was with talking to every NPC after every story event, doing every quest, getting A0 rank, etc. How did you spend 185 hours in one play through?

preta

Some thoughts about a certain scene in the Finale: (Finale and SC spoilers)
The scene where Rean uses Spirit Unification in Valimar to cut through the spirit barrier to the Infernal Castle reminds me a LOT of the scene in SC where Loewe cuts through Weissmann's barrier with Kernviter.

Kernviter was forged through Divergent Laws, and McBurn's power, which is established as being similar to Rean's, is also based in Divergent Laws... So it seems highly likely that Rean's power is as well.

Oh, also - Gaius was of course the first to notice the spirit barrier, before it was even visible.

It is shorter, but not by much. I beat the first game in 102 hours and the second in 97 hours.

Oh well.

Maybe you just plain never met some of them? Excluding the EX chests, final battles and everything afterwards. I count 331 on mine.

[EDIT]: Wait no; miscounted the first time. It's 326. Maybe you missed the three new field enemies on Eisengard? I know I did.

Bladenic

did you beat and scan all 6 training bots? there's some fights where the boss summons extra units too, which you might have missed if you killed them too fast. also maybe you have one unlocked but not filled out completely?
it's not glitched though since i got it fine

but it's also a vita game, which i played on

Nah, I didn't miss any enemies because I had 323 before the final battles. I thought maybe I missed a raccoon or something (enemies that only show up in groups and not on the field) but I didn't. I'll check again to see if I missed scanning an enemy, but considering my dedication to Battle Scope and already having checked the battle note section 3 times, I dunno.

Anyway, enough whining, who did y'all use in the final dungeon? I really don't see a point to switching from my main crew of Rean, Emma, Laura, and Fie, with Gaius, Alisa, and Jusis in reserves. Although
Alfin's S-break does seem like it could be useful, except it's a somewhat lesser version of Kevin's IMO. Especially since Emma has a craft for ATS reflect that also buffs defense.

Nah, I didn't miss any enemies because I had 323 before the final battles. I thought maybe I missed a raccoon or something (enemies that only show up in groups and not on the field) but I didn't. I'll check again to see if I missed scanning an enemy, but considering my dedication to Battle Scope and already having checked the battle note section 3 times, I dunno.

Anyway, enough whining, who did y'all use in the final dungeon? I really don't see a point to switching from my main crew of Rean, Emma, Laura, and Fie, with Gaius, Alisa, and Jusis in reserves. Although
Alfin's S-break does seem like it could be useful, except it's a somewhat lesser version of Kevin's IMO. Especially since Emma has a craft for ATS reflect that also buffs defense.
Rean, Laura, Emma, Sara, with Alisa, Fie, and Millium as backup. I never swap in the backups though

Top Bottom