• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video shows woman shoot at burglars in home invasion

Status
Not open for further replies.

E92 M3

Why did she even shoot if she couldn't see they had guns? None of them fired any shots. And she shot when they were clearly out of her house. She should be punished

How old are you lol? If someone breaks into my house, you bet your ass I'll shoot and ask questions later.

Piggus

Lol. Gun education. America barely struggles with regular education.

Ah, there's that classic Gaf hyperbole I've been waiting for. Took a page and a half, but we finally got there.

Downplaying gun safety education is what you hear from people who don't know what they're talking about.

I don't think gun safety courses make the difference. Gun ownership is the apotheosis of the Dunning–Kruger effect; everyone thinks they wouldn't be twitchy enough to shoot at a shadow, or dumb enough to discharge the weapon at themselves when cleaning, or calm enough to lay waste to invaders with accuracy, or even-tempered enough not to shoot someone over a dumb argument. Law of averages says most of those people are wrong, and it's just going to take the right set of circumstances to line up for tragedy to occur.

Practicing proper gun safety technique and training yourself for certain situations significantly reduces the chance of you getting hurt or killed. It doesn't fully eliminate the risk.

HyperionX

It should be pointed out that armed self-defense is more of a fantasy than a reality. There are only a tiny number of cases per year (less than 2,000), but it enables far more murders, suicides, or accidental deaths than that. Furthermore, many of cases of supposed self-defense incidents were not self-defense at all, where the shooter was in no danger. We'll coming to a realization regarding how many police shootings were justified. I suspect we'll eventual come to the same realization regard civilian shootings done in "self-defense" as well.

marrec

Banned
Will y'all pro-gun folk show out in support for Keith Scott (if he had a gun...) like you do for this woman? I promise gaffers wont try to argue against you for those posts

I'm as anti-gun as they come, to preface this:

GAFs gun-supporters are very consistent in their support, up to and including anyone that's killed by the cops simply for owning a gun. Mammoth Jones and hwalker especially will undoubtedly support the right for ANYONE to own a gun and use it to defend themselves when necessary.

Home invaders are scum.

Edit: Sadly, that woman will now have to live with the fact that she killed a man. That will probably weigh heavily on her conscience.

Nah, she ain't living with that on her mind. That lady is bout it, and fucking POPPED off on those guys.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I love that there are always people who assume that a group of people that has already broken into your house and is armed is just there to do some light shoplifting, and if you're nice and quiet they'll peacefully go about their business and get out of your way.

Like, what?

No. Your priority is to defend yourself.

It sucks. But in this country if someone breaks in forcefully, they are probably packing heat.

Correct. But with an intruder you never know.

If you are attempting to burgle a house and have nothing on you, you would sneak in and try and rob the place. If someone's home you (hopefully) bolt and don't panic and try and hurt the home owner.

If you are kicking in a door as forcefully as they did, you are coming in with the worst possible intentions and are hoping to get in there and surprise the home owners before they can react.

Lyn

Banned
On the other hand, she traded getting robbed (of money/mundane things), for the life of another human being.
And potentially getting herself killed or worse (by escalating the situation) in the process.
And potentially killing another bystander when she blindly shoot in the street.

So yeah.

Do you honestly believe that if you always comply, robbers will say "tyvm," take the goods, and walk off? That is incredibly naive. There was news yesterday of a female employee here in Houston working at an HEB who was robbed by two men pretending to be employees in the back office. She complied, gave them all the money and didn't resist one bit. What happened? They repeatedly beat her, kicked her, and pistol whipped her because they didn't give a shit.

You don't know what is going to happen when someone tries to rob you, and I think most people would rather not take the chance of finding out if they have a way to defend themselves.

Jenov

Wow what a video. Those guys kicked in that door guns blazing, ready to shoot whoever was on the other side. That lady was really lucky she was armed. I have no doubt they would have shot and killed her if they had seen her first and she didn't get the ambush on them. And yes, they did shoot back, it's in the report, their guns were not fakes.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I think it's also important to recognize that one can support allowing a shotgun for home defense (even though she used a handgun) and still support a blanket handgun ban or other forms of gun control.

Henkka

Banned

This is true, and I've no desire to ever own a gun, but it's also akin to saying you're far more likely to drown if your house has a pool. It doesn't really say anything about people who know how to use their gun/pool responsibly. I think people should take some sort of mandatory gun training course and exam before buying a gun however, to hopefully prevent this sort of thing.

I addressed the possibility of the 1st scenario on the comment you quoted.

And just to be clear, I'm not saying that she is "the wrong doer" in a home invasion. She faced the situation as it came. And repeating myself, it's good that she is ok. But a person is now dead. And shooting first (and thus escalating) always entails a high level of risk on its own.

I (as a lot of people in the world) have faced home invasions, arms included. It's a given that sometimes things goes wrong. But going straight from "someone is in the house" to "kill, kill, kill!" is -in my opinion- rarely justified. Guess I value the life of other people more. Not every robber is a bloody mass murderer.

I'd rather not gamble my fate and that of my family on the charity of someone who would invade a home in the first place.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
How old are you lol? If someone breaks into my house, you bet your ass I'll shoot and ask questions later.

Shit like this often happens when people shoot first and ask questions later.

In the early hours of Nov. 2, 2013, in Dearborn Heights, Michigan, a pounding at the door startled Theodore Wafer from his slumber. Unable to find his cell phone to call the police, he grabbed the shotgun he kept loaded in his closet. Wafer opened the door and, spotting a dark figure behind the screen, fired a single blast at the supposed intruder. The shot killed a 19-year-old girl who was knocking to ask for help after a car accident.

Shortly after midnight on June 5, 2014, two friends left a party briefly. Upon returning they accidently knocked on the wrong door. Believing burglars were breaking in, the frightened homeowner called the police, grabbed his gun and fired a single round, hitting one of the confused party-goers in the chest.

On Sept. 21, 2014, Eusebio Christian was awakened by a noise. Assuming a break-in, he rushed to the kitchen with his gun and began firing. All his shots missed but one, which struck his wife in the face.

I love that there are always people who assume that a group of people that has already broken into your house and is armed is just there to do some light shoplifting, and if you're nice and quiet they'll peacefully go about their business and get out of your way.

Like, what?

No. Your priority is to defend yourself.

Maybe thats how home invasions work in Europe.

Homeowner: Is that a robber!?
Robber: Oye there I'm just taking a few goods here. I'll be through in a jiffy, put your knickers on and go back to bed.
Homeowner: Okay then chip chip cheerio!!

Senoculum

Ah, there's that classic Gaf hyperbole I've been waiting for. Took a page and a half, but we finally got there.

Downplaying gun safety education is what you hear from people who don't know what they're talking about.

I'm not downplaying anything. But in a country where their literacy hasn't improved in ten years and ranks the current generation as being less educated than the last generation... I think it's asking too much of people to ensure gun safety. Dumb people exist and there's nothing you can do about it, which makes gun ownership all the more scarier. I've had friends killed by stray bullets due to false alarms or some loony neighbour. Fuck guns.

So feel free to say, "people need more gun education." Because that's a given. No duh. But the country can barely educate itself -- which first and foremost is the biggest factor in reducing crime.

And for the record, I think what the woman did was right. She protected herself. But it could easily have gone south.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
My assumption is that most people are not sociopaths.

You don't have to be a sociopath to cope with trauma and move past it. I can't speak for her of course, but if it were me, I would try to frame the event as "I saved my life and property under mortal threat" and not "I killed a person and should feel bad." People have powerful psychological immune systems, and the bigger the need to rationalize, the better we are at doing so.

Piggus

It's never wise to shoot first and ask questions later. You have to assess the situation to the best of your ability, and if you own a gun you need to know where bullets will travel outside of your house depending on the type of gun you have. For example, I don't necessarily have my guns in a place where they'd be easily accessible for home defense. But if I were able to get to them in time, my only real option is a shotgun. Why? Because anything else is going to go through the walls and into my neighbors' house.

I didn't really get the impression that the lady in the video was shooting blindly into the dark. It seemed pretty obvious what was going on.

Not going to lie. Not a fan of the back slapping in this thread.

The woman did what she had to do, but it doesnt make the whole thing a damn shame regardless.

Someone lost their life. Good that it wasn't the innocent woman, but it's still senseless violence anyway.

It's not a case that the woman didn't do the right thing, it's that it's shame that she was put in that position in the first place.

jmdajr

You don't have to be a sociopath to cope with trauma and move past it. I can't speak for her of course, but if it were me, I would try to frame the event as "I saved my life and property under mortal threat" and not "I killed a person and should feel bad." People have powerful psychological immune systems, and the bigger the need to rationalize, the better we are at doing so.

What sympathy should people have for someone that legit wanted to kill you?

The event itself is traumatizing. Like "Holy fuck, I can't believe this happened to me."

But no tears for real scum are shed.

Piggus

The woman did what she had to do, but it doesnt make the whole thing a damn shame regardless.

Someone lost their life. Good that it wasn't the innocent woman, but it's still senseless violence anyway.

It's not a case that the woman didn't do the right thing, it's that it's shame that was put in that position in the first place.

Yep. There's never a winner in this sort of situation. If you choose to own a gun for self-defense, you have to be prepared not only to use it, but to deal with the aftermath.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

You don't see how these examples are clearly different from the case we are discussing here? Big difference between falsely believing your house is being broken into and jumping immediately to firearm use vs. motherfuckers busting down your door and entering your home.

Of course people should be more careful with guns and not escalate ambiguous situations. Don't open the front door only to shoot a person. But if someone is inside your house, all bets are off.

Why did she even shoot if she couldn't see they had guns? None of them fired any shots. And she shot when they were clearly out of her house. She should be punished
Looks like this happened at night.

Most robbers take to the daytime when the chance of someone being home is slim to limit confrontation.

Doing this in the middle of the night is a good sign they are looking for more than just loot.

Write that down, k?

hoserx

It's not a case that the woman didn't do the right thing, it's that it's shame that she was put in that position in the first place.

It's senseless because the entire situation was caused by people who have no sense thinking that breaking and entering is a good method to acquire wealth.

I addressed the possibility of the 1st scenario on the comment you quoted.

And just to be clear, I'm not saying that she is "the wrong doer" in a home invasion. She faced the situation as it came. And repeating myself, it's good that she is ok. But a person is now dead. And shooting first (and thus escalating) always entails a high level of risk on its own.

I (as a lot of people in the world) have faced home invasions, arms included. It's a given that sometimes things goes wrong. But going straight from "someone is in the house" to "kill, kill, kill!" is -in my opinion- rarely justified. Guess I value the life of other people more. Not every robber is a bloody mass murderer.

I feel the appropriate actions of a homeowner should be on a case by case basis. If someone sly snuck into your home and you hear a noise, I would hide and call the police. You can ascertain the burglar doesn't want confrontation by the way they're breaking in and you can deescalate. Guns are prevalent. It's easy to assume they have weapons and it's just as easy for them to assume you have weapons. Even with this knowledge, these burglars decide to come loudly through the front door. They're not sneaking, it's an assault. Since the assumption of gun ownership by the homeowner can easily be made, it's more probable to assume they're coming fearlessly backed by weapsons. With these assumptions in mind, I do not want to be at the mercy of the invaders and be the one to shoot second. They're the ones taking the risk. It's unfortunate life was lost, but I don't condemn her. I don't own a gun too.

entremet

This doesn't mean what you think it means. This means WHEN a rape happens, 60% of those rapes have been preceded by a home invasion.
That's exactly how I read it. Those are not great stats.

I first learned about this from cops. They say it's very common.

Airola

Sure, when someone is just knocking the door.

But this case had armed people kicking the door down.

I think in this case the question was already asked on behalf of the woman in the moment they decided to forcefully bash themselves in with guns in their hands.

Locked door is the question. Breaking through the locked door is the answer.

Maybe they should put a sign on the doors where it reads "breaking through this door in criminal purposes answers my question of whether you are about to harm the people who live here or not - after getting the answer, proceed at your own risk." :D

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
That's exactly how I read it. Those are not great stats.

They aren't, but it doesn't tell you the probability of being raped given a home invasion, which is what your original claim was about. "A home invasion is likely to end in rape" is a different claim requiring different evidence.

All that said, of course the homeowner shouldn't have to entertain that risk and should be free to defend themselves even if the probability is 1%.

entremet

They aren't, but it doesn't tell you the probability of being raped given a home invasion, which is what your original claim was about. "A home invasion is likely to end in rape" is a different claim requiring different evidence.

All that said, of course the homeowner shouldn't have to entertain that risk and should be free to defend themselves even if the probability is 1%.
Fair enough

jmdajr

Especially in a state where people are allowed to have guns. Any time news here in FL is about someone breaking into a person's home and gets shot, I just shake my head. WTF are you even thinking of doing this shit in FL?

Home invaders in Houston get killed all the time. I mean, it's fucking Texas. Do this idiotic shit at your ow peril.

This doesn't mean what you think it means. This means WHEN a rape happens, 60% of those rapes have been preceded by a home invasion.
"7% of all household burglaries results in some form of a violent victimization."

They came in at night.

Surely they expected an empty house!

Zoe

Looks like this happened at night.

Most robbers take to the daytime when the chance of someone being home is slim to limit confrontation.

Doing this in the middle of the night is a good sign they are looking for more than just loot.

Write that down, k?

Being a manager at a restaurant also means it's possible she was followed from work. Happened to a friend's father in New Orleans--after he closed up his restaurant they followed him all the way home and shot him in his garage.

J-Rod

It takes some serious cognitive dissonance to accuse the woman of "escalating" the situation when 3 men broke into where she sleeps at night with guns drawn.

Piggus

Especially in a state where people are allowed to have guns. Any time news here in FL is about someone breaking into a person's home and gets shot, I just shake my head. WTF are you even thinking of doing this shit in FL?

You're allowed to have guns in every state, but laws protecting home owners when they use guns for self-defense vary greatly. If you're in a Castle Law state, breaking into someone's home is one of the absolute stupidest things you can possibly do.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The other two are almost certainly going to catch felony murder charges if they're identified. Going to get locked up for a long long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom