• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Carolina Reaper Madness tortilla chip: so spicy it's being sold as a single chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/food/article/Spicy-tortilla-chip-is-so-spicy-it-s-sold-as-one-9240828.php

Here's a challenge masochists of the food eating world might enjoy: Tortilla chip maker Paqui chips has made a chip so spicy, they're selling it as an individual chip.

Its name: the Carolina Reaper Madness chip.

Made with the hottest chili in the world, the Carolina Reaper Pepper (rated at 1,569,300 Scoville Heat Units), the single chip comes in a wrapper, placed inside a coffin-shaped box.

The box features a drawing of a Grim Reaper on the package, and across the top, it reads, "Inside: One deadly chip."

"It's the hottest chip you'll ever have, I can guarantee you that," Day added. "After you eat that one chip, trust me, you're not looking to dig back into the bag and have a second one. So, one chip is what we created to have the experience."

Marketing gimmick or not, the Carolina Reaper Pepper is nothing to mess with. Should you think that the chili is "probably not that spicy," there's a number of brave — or, perhaps stupid — souls who have tried the pepper to ... well, decidedly not-good results.

Of course, no marketing is complete without asking chip/spice lovers to upload a video of them eating the chip, using the hashtag #OnechipChallenge and tagging @PaquiTortillas. There are actually prizes to soften the pain of your burning, burning mouth, with three grand prizes of a GoPri Hero4 Silver and a year's supply of Paqui chips (although you'll most likely stick with their non-spicy versions).

The chip is a limited-edition offering from the company, and retails at $4.99 at select stores starting Oct. 1.

jvyBSFol.jpg

qbOOQMel.jpg

YaXfbBj.jpg

It's not going to be as hot as a Reaper. It'll probably be Habenero levels hot. Reapers are not even taht hot to begin with. You want hot? try accidentally burning your tongue with actual fire. Now that is true pain.

Eiolon

Won't be as hot as the actual Reaper. I eat lots of Reaper stuff such as jerky and hot sauces but none of them seem hot to me. They are too diluted.

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
They're out of their minds charging $5 for one chip. You can get a bottle of reaper sauce for around $10. Which will last me about 6 months.

ThisGuy

It's not going to be as hot as a Reaper. It'll probably be Habenero levels hot. Reapers are not even taht hot to begin with. You want hot? try accidentally burning your tongue with actual fire. Now that is true pain.
True. I bought some Carolina reapers from the grocery store, they were a little hotter than habaneros. I'm not impressed. I love habs too.

And for 5 dollars I can't even get a small bag of chips. Assholes.

Tried some Carolina Reaper seeds a few months back. I actually didn't have too much trouble handling the heat. It upset my stomach for the rest of the evening though.

Ghost Peppers actually have a pretty good taste to them. A little bit smoky at first before the heat kicks in, it's hard to explain.

Red

Tried some Carolina Reaper seeds a few months back. I actually didn't have too much trouble handling the heat. It upset my stomach for the rest of the evening though.

Ghost Peppers actually have a pretty good taste to them. A little bit smoky at first before the heat kicks in, it's hard to explain.
Yes. I grew ghost peppers this year, dried them out, and turned them to powder. Been putting them on everything. Not nearly as hot as I expected. Very tasty. I always think I've put enough, but after a couple of bites I end up putting more.

People who dislike spicy foods miss out on these unique tastes. Habanero is another one of my favorites. Just tonight I grilled a few jalapeños and ate them right off the stem. Delicious foods, worth it for a moment's discomfort.

It's an interesting idea as you could mix it in with a bowl of regular spicy/flavored tortilla chips and wait until it's eaten unsuspectingly but you could also probably just use reaper powder on a chip for much cheaper and the same effect, not to mention it'd probably be hotter

Someone should give these guys a run for their money and make the same thing, but with two chips instead of one... at the same price.

Ourobolus

Banned
It's an interesting idea as you could mix it in with a bowl of regular spicy/flavored tortilla chips and wait until it's eaten unsuspectingly but you could also probably just use reaper powder on a chip for much cheaper and the same effect, not to mention it'd probably be hotter
I'm sensing a new party version of Russian Roulette

SummitAve

Banned
I've had their ghost pepper chips and they are actually spicy. Will take the breath out of your mouth if you inhale while eating, but is nowhere near eating an actual ghost pepper. Probably the spiciest chip I've purchased which isn't saying a whole lot, but I still approve.

FinKL

Have you guys HAD Pacqui Ghost Pepper chips? They are nothing to take lightly, I had to throw my bag chips away because they were so spicy

This brand also sells ghost pepper tortilla chips. They're actually mad good, but I could only eat like one per 5 minutes. I'm down with some pretty spicy stuff, but I'm not one of those crazy insanely painful hot sauce dudes either. The ghost pepper chips are just barely on the edge for me.

^^ You are not the first person I know to have thrown away the bag, haha.

Arkeband

Banned

I don't know why I find this so funny but I can't stop laughing.

Cyanity

Banned
I've eaten a fresh Carolina Reaper whole (and recorded it on a dare), and passed around Carolina reaper hot sauce at a party before. This is a dumb $$$ gimmick. The pepper is balls hot and will give you severe heartburn, but powdered and sprinkled over a chip? Not gonna kill you.

Regiruler

For a very niche gimmick product like this, I'm honestly somewhat ok with the waste considering that quite a few wouldn't finish it.

Qvoth

5 us dollars for a single chip
that's probably cocaine/heroin/insert random drug tier of profit margin?

Nishastra

Banned
Have you guys HAD Pacqui Ghost Pepper chips? They are nothing to take lightly, I had to throw my bag chips away because they were so spicy
Yeah, people talking like these are typical mass-market "spicy" chips should give them a try. Just be careful about how you breathe while eating them, you really don't want to inhale any of the dust.

My dad couldn't even handle a single ghost pepper chip, so this would be a good laugh. However, not a good enough one for me to actually buy it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom