• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I make fire with rocks, and other luddite stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroxed

What? They are very useful, especially in family homes. Not only do they save you having to clean the dishes manually but they also save water while doing it.

When I'm alone I don't use it though, because I don't get as many things dirty, but if there are >2 people they are good.

I've never lived in a place that had a working dishwasher. Not once. It's there now in the kitchen, tucked in among the cabinets but not hooked up, ancient and wise, taunting me with its unknown cleaning powers.

Rival

Gold Member
Hmm. I just started mine. I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you OP. While my dishes are being nicely watched I can spend my free time looking at GAF and finding a movie to watch on Xbox.

The Mule

Shaq-points-laughs-and-leaves-press-conference.gif

I moved into my own place last December and I put in a hand-me-down dishwasher. I never used it and just hand washed everything...until I started actually cooking a lot more a few weeks ago. Now I regularly have dishes and pans piling up in the sink and the time I spend cleaning them by hand over and over would be better spent catching up on work.

So of course I try the dishwasher once and it's semi-broken.

Lesson learned: Appreciate your dishwasher (and make sure it works).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I got one when I moved and I have only used it a couple times, usually to clean like...dog toys. It takes 2 hours for the dishwasher to wash and dry stuff. I wash and dry my dishes with my roommate in about 10 minutes. Also it seems to meaningful add to the electricity bill!

You don't clean a complete dishwasher load in 5-10 minutes.

And you'll use more water.

I could have a small dishwasher but I can.

edit: I don't have a water bill.

I grew up without a dishwasher so I had no idea what I was missing. After moving into a place with one, it is now a requirement for any future apartments I rent. I also bought one for my mom last Christmas, and she went from thinking they were a waste her whole life to loving it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
They're certainly not useless, but it really isn't so bad to live without one.

I have a dishwasher, but no laundry machine, and I'd trade for that any day of the week.

JeTmAn81

It takes me six minutes to unload, reload and run a load of dishes. There is no way handwashing speed comes even close to that.

Enzom21

Some dishwashers can do something your filthy hands and bacteria covered rag can't. Actually sanitize the dishes.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
A dishwasher is a fantastic place to store dirty dishes while cleaning up and HEY WHAT I CAN PRESS A BUTTON AND CLEAN AND DRY THEM?

least useless kitchen gadget I can think of.

dluu13

Well op did manage to keep his old house together despite all the odds stacked against him. Washing a few dishes is a piece of cake in comparison.

Kayhan

I never use mine so I would tend to agree.

HOWEVER if I was living with a wife and 3 kids I would probably think otherwise.

AlexBasch

Are you white, OP?

Just kidding. I'd have one installed but I'm living in a small apartment and wash them manually. It's kinda relaxing tbh.

Yeoman

As someone that has never had any contact with a dishwasher, just how effective are they? I always get the feeling that they won't clean plates as well as doing it by hand.

Neverfade

OP's opinion should come with criminal charges.

As someone that has never had any contact with a dishwasher, just how effective are they? I always get the feeling that they won't clean plates as well as doing it by hand.

They're more thorough than I'd ever be hand washing a dish.

We use ours all the time. Heck, we just got a new Bosch installed yesterday (and it's so whisper quiet compared to the old one that I couldn't even tell it was on).

Not only are they convenient and water efficient, they can also clean stuff a lot better than hand-washing (try cleaning oil out of plastic). You don't even need to prerinse if you use a nicer tablet, like Cascade Platinum.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I never use mine so I would tend to agree.

HOWEVER if I was living with a wife and 3 kids I would probably think otherwise.

My # of dishes don't really seem to scale based on how many people I am cooking for.

For example, when I cook for me and my roommate, we typically use one saucepan, one skillet, one mixing bowl, and one serving bowl. Add in things like knives and cutting boards. We then have two dishes and two cups. If we had another visitor, it would be another cup and another dish.

Then he washes dishes as I dry. We're done really fast.

Kayhan

We use ours all the time. Heck, we just got a new Bosch installed yesterday (and it's so whisper quiet compared to the old one that I couldn't even tell it was on).

Not only are they convenient and water efficient, they can also clean stuff a lot better than hand-washing (try cleaning oil out of plastic). You don't even need to prerinse if you use a nicer tablet, like Cascade Platinum.

Mine takes forever and is super noisy.

If it was fast and quiet I might use it more.

Nah I like dishwashers. I just put dishes in as I'm done with them, and then I also empty the dishwasher as soon as it's done.

It takes my wife and I like 3 days to fill up the dishwasher though. I will add that we hand wash the pots though.

I hear that in say Germany, apartment complexes rarely come with appliances like dishwasher, washer/dryer, fridge, microwave etc. Is this true?

They're more thorough than I'd ever be hand washing a dish.

Only if you hardly try.

kuYuri

Dishwashers are great. Any invention that makes it easier to do chores in life is always a plus.

I enjoy hand washing dishes myself, but to call it useless is worthy of a laugh.

I loathe doing dishes, and I was under the assumption that hand washing dishes was more water efficient.

Guess I was wrong, and in a good way. Gonna start using mine thanks

My dish washer is loud and takes 2 hours... And that's why I turn it on before I leave the house for work. When I get home, everything is squeaky clean and it takes 2 minutes to unload.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Ours is our most used appliance! Works wonderfully (silent Bosche) and cleans anything we throw into it.

Your opinion is wrong and stupid OP.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Dishwasher are great as they make it easier to wash oily container than by hand, plus it makes washing up a doddle when you're entertaining guest or short on time.

MechaX

Try washing dishes while living alone and with a hand injury. Fun times, there.

Nah, you're alone in this one OP.

jwk94

Dishwashers don't exactly do the best job of completely getting your shit clean, but they're amazing for lazy fucks like myself.

The trick is to run the sink as you're loading, manually get as much of the grime off as you can because the washer will not get someone with elbow grease in there to do it. As long as most of the buildup is off your stuff it's fine.

But I know some people that just throw shit in there with leftover food and other buildup expecting the washer to take care of that, and it's not at all how it works.

Yeah, that's nasty. Dishwasher is just throwing hot water on your stuff. You still have to scrape some of the gunk off first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom