• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I make fire with rocks, and other luddite stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

nded

I don't use mine, mostly because I'd run out of dishes before I piled up enough dirty ones to make using the machine efficient.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
So who's making the upcoming thread about the uselessness of microwaves?

As someone that has never had any contact with a dishwasher, just how effective are they? I always get the feeling that they won't clean plates as well as doing it by hand.
98% of the time you're getting spotless dishes. As well, it's at a far higher temperature than it would otherwise be.

Do you serve your family of 6 on paper plates using plastic silverware? I have a family of 3 and it takes me like 10-15 minutes to wash dishes after we cook a good meal. I loathe it and I will never live in a home without a dishwasher again.

mattp

Every house I've lived in has had a dishwasher installed in the kitchen, and never once have we ever used them in all my life of living.

They're pointless for in home kitchens. Im stuck with one in my kitchen because I'm a renter and have never used it once. If I could I would tear it out and replace it with either another oven or just a cupboard.

Dishwashers are a waste of space. Cleaning dishes is like a 5-10 minute thing and I say this as having cooked and wash dishes for a family of 6.

this is the most wrong opinion i have ever seen in my life

Mine takes forever and is super noisy.

If it was fast and quiet I might use it more.
If you're looking to replace it, most of the spec sheets these days include decibel ratings. My new one is rated at 44 dB, and it's about as loud as a refrigerator or small fan (every 5 dB will make a noticeable difference). In general, look for something with steel racks, as they will rattle less than plastic ones. My old dishwasher sounded like a freaking lawnmower when it was running.

MC Safety

Neogaf is great because I encountered someone who argued against oven mitts and now discovered another person who thinks dishwashers are useless.

Dali

I never use mine so I would tend to agree.

HOWEVER if I was living with a wife and 3 kids I would probably think otherwise.
I come from a large family and we rarely if ever used the dishwasher. My mother had me run empty loads every so often to keep it from becoming a bacteria trap. The only time it was guaranteed to be used was thanksgiving.

I don't think they are useless but I don't think they are very convenient for me. It's easier and quicker to handwash.

hwalker84

Every house I've lived in has had a dishwasher installed in the kitchen, and never once have we ever used them in all my life of living.

They're pointless for in home kitchens. Im stuck with one in my kitchen because I'm a renter and have never used it once. If I could I would tear it out and replace it with either another oven or just a cupboard.

Dishwashers are a waste of space. Cleaning dishes is like a 5-10 minute thing and I say this as having cooked and wash dishes for a family of 6.
I fell the same. We've never used it in our new home. And I probably used it twice in the 6 years in my apartment.

Mechazawa

Neogaf is great because I encountered a guy who argued against oven mitts and now discovered a guy who thinks dishwashers are useless.

This thread you can at least see from the point of an insular bachelor.

I don't know what you could possible argue against mittens for.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Every house I've lived in has had a garbage can installed in the kitchen, and never once have we ever used them in all my life of living.

They're pointless for in home kitchens. Im stuck with one in my kitchen because I'm a renter and have never used it once. If I could I would tear it out and replace it with either another oven or just a fireplace.

Garbage cans are a waste of space. Burning trash is like a 5-10 minute thing and I say this as having burned trash for a family of 6.

jax

Banned
Hand wash + Dishwasher or the plates ain't clean.

Everyone knows microwaves are the true useless utility. Toaster Oven FTW.

I'll be the lone person that understands the OP. I don't use my dishwasher either. BUT I live in a 1 bedroom condo on my own and I probably own something like 8 dishes. Wouldn't even be able to fill up half the dishwasher with ALL my utensils and dinnerware.

I also don't use my microwave except for popcorn but that's another story.

Kittygirl

Dude, it's not hard to give dishes a quick rinse, then run a wash once a week. Much less water and energy used.

(Not you, junior mint)

Useless for 1-2 people I think but if you have guests over a lot or kids then they're a lifesaver. Washing dishes by hand is just time intensive but you can get good at it.

lol the title change. Dishwashers are great, but it depends. Like if you're a single person without that many dishes, yeah you probably don't need one compared to someone that has a family with children.

I lived without a washing machine for a while and you really don't need one. Just wash what you're wearing when you take a shower, and then hang it up. The only thing that's tough is jeans but GAF doesn't wash those anyway.

linko9

LifetimeOperatingCosts_2009-Dishwashers.gif

I always wonder about claims like this. How do they arrive at the amount of water used by hand washing? I feel like I don't use all that much. I'm assuming the "energy cost" for hand washing is exclusively water-heating, but I only use ~ 2 gallons of hot water total when washing dishes by hand (rinse in cold water), so I feel like the dishwasher inevitably uses much more. Also of course it doesn't take into account the environmental impact of creating a large electrical appliance and all the materials required for that, which by their own estimation will be trashed every 10 years. I'm sure in the end it may actually be more environmentally friendly for some people to use a dishwasher, but I feel like this image is misleading.

TaterTots

Banned
Growing up, my family never had a dishwasher. When I was done eating I had to hand wash the dishes I used. Fast forward to today and I'm spoiled by my dishwasher to the point I feel gross at times. Sometimes I let my sink fill before I load the dishwasher and it's starting to bother me. However, if I make a small meal and only dirty a few things I'll hand wash them on the spot. I'm the type of person who will use the same glass days on end....it irritates me to watch someone get a new glass for water over and over. That's a pet peeve.

*Splinter

I always wonder about claims like this. How do they arrive at the amount of water used by hand washing? I feel like I don't use all that much. I'm assuming the "energy cost" for hand washing is exclusively water-heating, but I only use ~ 2 gallons of hot water total when washing dishes by hand (rinse in cold water), so I feel like the dishwasher inevitably uses much more. Also of course it doesn't take into account the environmental impact of creating a large electrical appliance and all the materials required for that, which by their own estimation will be trashed every 10 years. I'm sure in the end it may actually be more environmentally friendly for some people to use a dishwasher, but I feel like this image is misleading.
I also wonder if it assumes you have the water running constantly or just run a bowl.

And either way I can't understand how it can use more (or even the same) amount of energy to hand wash.

joe2187

Banned
Man, that title change....I cant stop laughing

Youre either a liar or eat the most boring food in the world.

I cook on average 4-5 times a week, mostly puerto rican, cuban and Caribbean style food. So there's always dishes and pots to clean. I'm also work as chef at Caltech/JPL.

"I never use them" =/= "Nobody uses them and they're pointless."

yeah, okay I can see how that makes me seem like a bit of an asshat.

You washed for 6 people and it took you 5 to 10 minutes only?
Did you smash everything together? =/

My routine is half a sink with the hottest water from the tap, add soap and scrub then rinse with the other half of the sink that has cold water. then dry on the rack.

A full sink takes like 15 mins tops.

https://www.energystar.gov/products/appliances/dishwashers/dishwasher_hand_washing
http://lifehacker.com/stop-hand-washing-newer-dishwashers-save-more-water-th-1704681500
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/all-about-dishwashers
http://www.treehugger.com/kitchen-design/built-in-dishwashers-vs-hand-washing-which-is-greener.html

ect ect

Mr-Joker

Banned
That new thread title is perfect.

Neogaf is great because I encountered someone who argued against oven mitts.

What?! o_O;

What's next a gaf poster to say that fire alarm is pointless?

I think it's taking into account heating the water to wash the dish and the fact that folks tend to leave the water running when washing it by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom