• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I make fire with rocks, and other luddite stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingbrave

Wash as you go heathens. Really get in there and make sure you get all the gunk out.

I have well water and live right next to a nice fresh spring that comes down a gentle spring hillside that's all springy and hilly and spring like.

When the machines rise up and steal all your dishes YOU WILL REGRET YOUR LIVES!

linko9

Thanks! 3-5 gallons is very impressive, and if it's true that no pre-rinsing is required, that's definitely better than hand washing. Anyone able to back up this from personal experience? All the dishwashers I've had the misfortune of dealing with break down rather quickly over the years, so that after a few years they require a good deal of pre-rinsing, and sometimes even post-rinsing.

Lucreto

Dishwasher, if you are washing by hand you might as well be washing the plates with your tongue in my opinion. If you are using hot running water there is a big waste and you you are using a basin you are washing the plates in whatever was in it before. Clean a pot that has tomato sauce in it the next item will be washed in water contaminated with tomato sauce. Running it under a cold tap won't kill any bacteria left behind.

My routine is half a sink with the hottest water from the tap, add soap and scrub then rinse with the other half of the sink that has cold water. then dry on the rack.

A full sink takes like 15 mins tops.

So you don't actually dry the plates by hand which is another 20 minute to do properly. Dishwashers do the drying as well.

Thanks! 3-5 gallons is very impressive, and if it's true that no pre-rinsing is required, that's definitely better than hand washing. Anyone able to back up this from personal experience? All the dishwashers I've had the misfortune of dealing with break down rather quickly over the years, so that after a few years they require a good deal of pre-rinsing, and sometimes even post-rinsing.

Silly question but do you clean the machine? Food particles can build up and damage the machine. Do you live in a hard water area? That is a big problem for washing machines and dishwashers. I had the same dishwasher for 10 years, the plastic inside the machine is giving out while the machine continues going strong.

Media

I have three kids. Unless I want to spend all of my free time washing dishes, a dishwasher is kinda key.

It's awesome for you that you don't need one, but claiming they are totally useless means you can't see anything from someone else's point view.

I have a dishwasher where I live to and I never, ever use it either

Funny when I visit my mom and use a dish and clean it and she asks "why didn't you just put it in the washer?"

"Umm, it's clean now. I just spent ten seconds and cleaned it."

jwk94

Dishwasher, if you are washing by hand you might as well be washing the plates with your tongue in my opinion. If you are using hot running water there is a big waste and you you are using a basin you are washing the plates in whatever was in it before. Clean a pot that has tomato sauce in it the next item will be washed in water contaminated with tomato sauce. Running it under a cold tap won't kill any bacteria left behind.

So you don't actually dry the plates by hand which is another 20 minute to do properly. Dishwashers do the drying as well.

Silly question but do you clean the machine? Food particles can build up and damage the machine. Do you live in a hard water area? That is a big problem for washing machines and dishwashers. I had the same dishwasher for 10 years, the plastic inside the machine is giving out while the machine continues going strong.

That's what the drying rack is for..

Tell a single parent of small children that a dishwasher is useless.

My mom (single) raised three of us and for some reason she finds dishwashers useless. I keep offering to buy her one but she refuses. I grew up without one but as soon as I started renting an apartment that had one I fell in love with the things and will never live in a place without one.

entremet

Dishwashers don't exactly do the best job of completely getting your shit clean, but they're amazing for lazy fucks like myself.

The trick is to run the sink as you're loading, manually get as much of the grime off as you can because the washer will not get someone with elbow grease in there to do it. As long as most of the buildup is off your stuff it's fine.

But I know some people that just throw shit in there with leftover food and other buildup expecting the washer to take care of that, and it's not at all how it works.
Newer ones do. Also no need to pre rinse. Waste of time and water.

They're amazing.

I dream of having a dishwasher with a cutlery rack.

ju3lkQ7.jpg

I'll be the lone person that understands the OP. I don't use my dishwasher either. BUT I live in a 1 bedroom condo on my own and I probably own something like 8 dishes. Wouldn't even be able to fill up half the dishwasher with ALL my utensils and dinnerware.

I also don't use my microwave except for popcorn but that's another story.

This is me as well, I dont have enough plates/ etc to warrant the use of my dishwasher.

Biske

I guess it depends on how much you have to wash.

If you just have to wash a plate or two and a pan and a utensil or two.. sure.

But when you have stuff that multiple people are using every day, yeah... not using a dishwasher is insane. If only because of efficiency.

I know when I hand wash dishes its inefficient as hell.

linko9

Yeah, lots of black gunk would build up, so growing up we'd need to clean it about once a year or so. Seems like we usually got all the visible stuff out (and ran it with a special "dishwasher cleaning" product, I seem to recall), but there's no telling how much stuff remained in areas we couldn't get to. Never had problems with our washing machine though.

I dream of having a dishwasher with a cutlery rack.

ju3lkQ7.jpg
My new one has that, so I've been using it for baby stuff, since that's all top rack only. Oddly, it still has the utensil tray on the bottom rack, too, so I don't know. Feels like one is redundant.

That is so beautiful.

I am a prewasher so I'm running a load right now without prewashing to see the results.
What tablet are you using? When I used Finish Power Ball in the past, it wouldn't clean well at all, and I kind of wrote of the dishwasher, but after switching to Cascade Platinum, I didn't need to pre-wash anymore.

Bosch actually recommends Finish, but no thanks. Cascade Platinum 4 lyfe (with Finish rinse aid with Jet Dry).

sflufan

Banned
As a single man who lives alone and just washes my plates and cookware as I use them, I too have never used my dishwasher.

If OP would like to come do our dishes, he's welcome too. I'll even pay you $15 an hour. Well, maybe $12, depending. Either way, since it only takes you 5-10 minutes, I imagine we won't be needing you for more than an hour total each week. It's a good arrangement. Think about it.

oneils

I live alone but have a lot of dinnerware. It takes me about a week to fill up the dishwasher. But I love the damn thing.

I can see that it might seem counterproductive if you don't have a lot of flatware and only have a half full dishwasher when you run out.

dluu13

What was the original title? I thought this thread was literally about Luddite stories and the dishwasher replies threw me off.

It was something along the tune of dishwashes being unnecessary in a household environment.

I actually agree with OP, but that's because I have nowhere near enough dishes to fill up the washer.
If I had a party with 10 people, I'd love to have a dishwasher.

It was something along the tune of dishwashes being unnecessary in a household environment.

I actually agree with OP, but that's because I have nowhere near enough dishes to fill up the washer.
If I had a party with 10 people, I'd love to have a dishwasher.

Thanks, I honestly thought the thread was for sharing primitive technology people still used, then when it was all about dishwashers I was thrown off haha.

Makes me feel like being in college, walking into a classroom where the subject matter makes sense but oh shit wrong class.

You're fucking bonkers dude.

And with all the water you've wasted washing shit by hand up till now, you could have probably washed an additional 5 years worth of dishes in a washing machine. Hey if but literally pouring money down the drain is your jam, so be it.

I lived without a dishwasher for a few years. Social order completely broke down and I still refer to that time as "the dark years". I ate from and rewashed the same single plate for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom