• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break appears on Steam's Top Sellers list at #3

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm happy for Remedy! I really enjoyed the game and hope other people do as well.

MS should take a page from CDPR on how to distribute PC games. They didn't favor GOG over Steam or Origin afaik.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think any AAA game is interested on Steam. It would happen the same if Blizzard or EA games are released now on Steam. I suppose only difference is that EA and Blizzard are happy with their sales.

Well, the key difference with Blizzard is that it began cultivating a B.net userbase around seven years before Steam was even vaguely mandatory for Counter-Strike. As far as EA is concerned, while it's clear that Origin is successful, I maintain that "exclusivity" hasn't panned out quite as well as EA had hoped and still expect the other shoe to eventually drop. That's neither here nor there, though.

Soon to be #1 most refunded game on Steam when people get to see their Pc not being able to handle the game at Ultra settings.

Hyperbole, but I can see the Steam forums on fire with angry comments.

mdsfx

What are the odds of Microsoft giving me a Steam key after leaving me high and dry with the W10 version?

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT

JaseC

What are the odds of Microsoft giving me a Steam key after leaving me high and dry with the W10 version?

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT

Zero. I don't have a link on hand, but Remedy quickly ruled that out (or more accurately, passed the buck to Microsoft, which hasn't addressed the matter).

Buburibon

Gemüsepizza;218525093 said:
It will also be in the Top Refund list pretty soon.

Not really true.

Ah, thanks for changing that to "not really true." Still, if I dot have access to true full screen, cannot use RTSS to help even out odd frame pacing, mod config files, etc., it does indeed affect performance as far as I am concerned. It's my opinion after all, not an absolute.

Tain

Does it run better on a high end PC than on an Xbox One?

Okay, cool. It looks like a good game (at the least) and I'll get it.

abracadaver

Not really. Maybe "second party games" like QB, Recore, Scalebound. But not first party games like forza and halo

They could have those games on Steam and just have Steam launch the Windows Store App when you click play. I don't know if Steam supports W10 Apps but that would be an easy way to have every game on Steam.

blakep267

Well, personally, Recore and Scalebound are the only ones I actually want.
I'm just assuming that those games would t be as desirable as a halo or forza where people would begrudgingly use the w10 store. If Scalebound were to be a massive hit on W10 I would t see any reason for them to also put it on steam

I'm glad they brought this over to steam. I played this game on Xbox and loved it. I don't know how the Windows store is but I hope it is better than GFWL.

JaseC

Well, I'd like to hope so since the game just came out.

The PC version is virtually half a year old, having released on April 5th as a WinStore exclusive. That's precisely why the success of the newly-released Steam version is noteworthy.

Uh no. Why should devs spend time for settings that can't be achieved for years when 99% of their sales are front loaded within the first couple of months? Ultra should be aimed at what the top cards available at that time are capable of.

nah. Devs should be free to define ultra as they want. it's nice when you can come to a game 6-7 years later, and it runs and looks nicer than it did even without considering res jump.

Daingurse

That's cool, can't blame anyone for not wanting to support the UWP version. I do feel like a real sucker for buying this on the Windows Store at launch. If I didn't love the game, I probably would be more bitter. I got a ton of enjoyment in my 50+hours with the game. Hoping the Steam version is more stable on my 970. Come on Amazon, ship my Timeless Collector's Edition!

JaseC

Yes, but it's new to the Steam platform and will be selling against games that have been on the Steam platform for much longer and Steam new releases.

Sure, but the underlying point is that the success of the Steam version demonstrates a lack of interest in the Windows Store, which relates to the broader discussion of whether or not Windows Store exclusivity is a wise move for Microsoft, regardless of the reach -- be it short or long-term.

Gravijah

Sure, but the underlying point is that the success of the Steam version demonstrates a lack of interest in the Windows Store, which relates to the broader discussion of whether or not Windows Store exclusivity is a wise move for Microsoft, regardless of the reach -- be it short or long-term.

Steam has a lot of users who refuse to buy games on other platforms, whether good or bad. It doesn't help that the community pushes this mentality with "Steam or no buy" everywhere. The point of this, though, is that there will always be some audience on Steam irrespective of where the game first launched. A AAA game releasing on a new platform is generally going to sell something, especially in a week where there doesn't seem to be anything else big launching.

But you really can't gleam 'success' by Steam Top Sellers list given that it's releasing against nothing, and the OP image has it selling half the units of a week old Early Access MOBA from a no-name studio.

Every AAA title hits #1 on Top Sellers on its release day unless it's competing against a bigger AAA title - which Quantum Break isn't. If anything, the fact that it didn't hit #1 faster is an indication of a lack of success.

ktroopa

Has this game been 'fixed' now to run at proper 1080p and other rez natively without all that upscaling crap they used.

Daingurse

Pretty much no one was interested in the Windows store release. I think it was Matt who said that the sales were ridiculously abysmal. I am part of truly small minority owning that game on the Windows Store lol. There seems to be way more interest in the Steam release. And like you said, this game is basically half a year old at this point.

Has this game been 'fixed' now to run at proper 1080p and other rez natively without all that upscaling crap they used.

You can run native, sure.

I wish my physical copy had arrived from Amazon so I could redeem my code and contribute to the sales boost. Hasn't even shipped yet.

JaseC

Steam has a lot of users who refuse to buy games on other platforms, whether good or bad. It doesn't help that the community pushes this mentality with "Steam or no buy" everywhere. The point of this, though, is that there will always be some audience on Steam irrespective of where the game first launched.

I don't think you realise that you're actually agreeing with me.

But you really can't gleam 'success' by Steam Top Sellers list given that it's releasing against nothing, and the OP image has it selling half the units of a week old Early Access MOBA from a no-name studio.

Every AAA title hits #1 on Top Sellers on its release day unless it's competing against a bigger AAA title - which Quantum Break isn't.

The list updates every half hour and the game is now the #1 global top seller, selling well ahead of one of the most consistently top-selling titles in the form of CS:GO and also discounted indie darling of the moment Rocket League. Again, my point isn't that the game hasn't been successful without the Steam release; it's that the Steam release itself is successful, which it demonstrably is. There's no denying that its prior WinStore exclusivity limited its potential -- that's the point, and I don't think it's either controversial or ill-founded.

MUnited83

For you.
Steam has a lot of users who refuse to buy games on other platforms, whether good or bad. It doesn't help that the community pushes this mentality with "Steam or no buy" everywhere. The point of this, though, is that there will always be some audience on Steam irrespective of where the game first launched. A AAA game releasing on a new platform is generally going to sell something, especially in a week where there doesn't seem to be anything else big launching.
Well, it certainly doesnt help either that the "other platform" in this case is a literal piece of crap no one should be buying games from.

It's that the Steam release itself is successful, which it demonstrably is.

I understand the point you are trying to make. I'm saying that this statement is not 'demonstrably' true. Nearly every game hits #1 in Top Sellers on its release day whether it ultimately is successful or not. (And it's still 3rd US.)

You are using one obscured data point from one day. If it's still up there a week from now, two weeks from now, then you might have the foundation of an argument.

But right now, this literally says nothing other than "It launched on Steam today."

Unai

It's #1 in the brazilian store right now.

fFhvZ8u.png

Tain

I understand the point you are trying to make. I'm saying that this statement is not 'demonstrably' true. Nearly every game hits #1 in Top Sellers on its release day whether it ultimately is successful or not.

You are using one obscured data point from one day. If it's still up there a week from now, two weeks from now, then you might have the foundation of an argument.

But right now, this literally says nothing other than "It launched on Steam today."

so do you believe this game did not make back the costs involved in the Steam release on day one here?

JaseC

I understand the point you are trying to make. I'm saying that this statement is not 'demonstrably' true. Nearly every game hits #1 in Top Sellers on its release day whether it ultimately is successful or not.

Quantum Break is sitting comfortably ahead of CS:GO and a discounted Rocket League. It's reasonable -- nay, logical -- to assume that it's selling more copies than it otherwise would. There's no controversy here.

"Success" in this context isn't recouping development costs of a port. UWP is merely a wrapper; we're talking a PC game that released on one service and is now available on another.

Matt

I understand the point you are trying to make. I'm saying that this statement is not 'demonstrably' true. Nearly every game hits #1 in Top Sellers on its release day whether it ultimately is successful or not. (And it's still 3rd US.)

I would be surprised if QB on Steam hasn't already outsold what it did on the Windows Store.

BiggNife

Pretty much every major release hits the top 5 of Steam the day it comes out.

The bigger test will be seeing if its still in the top 10 in a week.

...and will presumably climb. (Note: Steam orders Top Sellers by revenue rather than units sold.)

steamts5ps44.jpg

Shocking news: WinStore exclusivity hinders success.

Happy for these guys - they deserve all of the success in the world, great developers. Too bad the W10 store was holding them back...but glad to see them get success on Steam!

Glad to see, the game is great.
Now everyone buy it so we can get a sequel and hopefully get Remedy out of that MP pit they've fall in.

JaseC

Pretty much every major release hits the top 5 of Steam the day it comes out.

The bigger test will be seeing if its still in the top 10 in a week.

And, to repeat myself once more, the intention isn't to assume the PC version is now selling well but rather demonstrate that there's a high degree of interest in the game even after half a year of availability on a store that is integrated with Microsoft's flagship OS. Clearly, Microsoft was leaving a sizeable amount of money on the table by maintaining the game's WinStore exclusivity, which is something people doubted when Greenberg stated in no uncertain terms that the game would not see a release on Steam, and again when Spencer somewhat stumbled his way through the question of whether or not Microsoft would release games on Steam in the future.

In fewer words, the intended interpretation of this data is not "The game is now selling well", as some have erroneously assumed, but rather, "Microsoft pushing WinStore exclusivity is harming the success of its PC releases". I mean, even the OP says "hinders success".

Quantum Break is sitting comfortably ahead of CS:GO and a discounted Rocket League. It's reasonable -- nay, logical -- to assume that it's selling more copies than it otherwise would. There's no controversy here.

"Success" in this context isn't recouping development costs of a port. UWP is merely a wrapper; we're talking a PC game that released on one service and is now available on another.

Fine. If we change the definition of success to 'better than absolute shit' then sure. You're right.

LordRaptor

False equivalence; Steam, Origin, The Artist Formerly Known As Battle.net are all on the same platform - the PC.

I mean, you probably could make the argument that the Win10 Appstore doesn't count, because it deliberately prevents things like Steam frindslists from working, but to suggest that "Steam or bust" stops people who want to buy a title from buying a title on a different store is demonstrably wrong for the most part, for other regular executables.
It's like saying nobody would buy Halo on Xbox if it didn't have achievements.

JaseC

Fine. If we change the definition of success to 'better than absolute shit' then sure. You're right.

Oh, please. A cursory glance through my post history will make it quite clear that I'm not above admitting when I'm wrong, and in this instance your attempt at painting me the fool is only doing yourself a disservice. At no point have I insulted your intelligence; that you can't extend me the same curtsey reflects poorly on yourself and only yourself.

Top Bottom