• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword announced for Wii [N-CONF]

140.85 said:
There better be a variety of locations with design to fit the mood. The day-glo mushrooms aren't doing anything for me.
yeah, i bet the forest level at the beginning is the only part of this zelda game, which are known for their singularly-themed areas

140.85 said:
There better be a variety of locations with design to fit the mood. The day-glo mushrooms aren't doing anything for me.

Okay, things like this confuse me. Surely you don't believe that the entire game looks like this location, do you? :lol

140.85 said:

Oh come on dude it's like the first area, most Zelda games have a woods-type setting at the beginning.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
What's the e3 press username and password again?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Prime Blue said:
Can't say I'm particularly impressed with the graphics. Don't like the forced painting look on semi-realistic characters.

But Twilight Princess came a long way from its E3 2005 showing, so I have high hopes for the graphics when the game will be released in 2011.
First thing to be reworked? Link's eyes:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2412jkn.png[
[img]http://i47.tinypic.com/2j2vss2.png[[/QUOTE]

As much as i was down on some of the art assets in general, the facial expressions and animation system was pretty awesome. It probably hasn't implemented in this build yet. This will be improved, it was on of their big things they focused on with both WW and TP.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Linkzg said:

Checking the trailers, seeing how Link appears to be entering a dungeon, and exiting to a different area that leads to another part of the overworld makes me wonder if that's what Aonuma/Miyamoto meant when they said they were changing the structure. i.e. combining the two?

Amneisac

I think the art style looks nice, I don't have any problems with that. I actually really liked everything about Wind Waker except for the water. I'm definitely going to have to hear more about the gameplay before I'm sold. I think the idea of Wii motion plus enhancing the swordplay seems fun, but I don't know, I'm not getting a very "fun" vibe watching the videos of how the enemies behave. I mean, I know video games are frequently about pattern recognition and stuff, but this just seems a little jarringly blatant at first blush.

Again, I'm just waiting to hear more, I'm not ready to praise it or pan it yet. A lot of you guys need to work on your impulse control.

Oblivion said:
Checking the trailers, seeing how Link appears to be entering a dungeon, and exiting to a different area that leads to another part of the overworld makes me wonder if that's what Aonuma/Miyamoto meant when they said they were changing the structure. i.e. combining the two?

It's a demo, I wouldn't put too much thought into it.

ivysaur12

Banned
I so wish that Nintendo would put demos from E3 up on the Wii Store. Oh well, I guess I'll live watching the trailer over and over again :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
We basically know nothing about the game other than how the controls work. Literally. No idea how the travel works, the dungeon system, the overall flow of the game, etc.

There's still so much more to learn.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
DeathbyVolcano said:
Okay, things like this confuse me. Surely you don't believe that the entire game looks like this location, do you? :lol

No. I'm just excited and I want my Zelda to be perfect. Wah. I'll settle down eventually.

GCNemesis

Einbroch said:
How cool would it be if you could fly in this game?

My hunch is you can. Not freely, but I think they'll be a flying mechanic for travel between places. If I had to guess based on the development team, they'll have a slightly more open 'on-rails' flying mechanic compared to the train from Spirit Tracks. I hope I'm completely off-base though. :lol

EatChildren said:

As usual, my only concern is how big the world is. I seriously hope it's huge. However, if it's smaller but packed with more content and a more organic and realistic flow in environmental construction, I'd be fine with that too. However, the story sounds kinda epic with Link being from Bespin so I'd think that they'll make it just as big as the other Zelda titles.

Also, and I don't know if this is just me, but I really hope they finally nail Lake Hylia in 3D. In Ocarina of Time, it was a gigantic pond. Perfectly circular. Yawn. In Twilight Princess, the design was better, but the island out in the middle with the funky looking canon travel center was like vomit on an otherwise nice looking lake, and having the huge bridge above the lake was odd, too. Majora's Mask didn't even have Lake Hylia, but the ocean was okay, and Wind Waker, well, is an ocean.

Point being, they've been fucking up Lake Hylia after A Link to the Past, and I implore them to stop. Have a nice day.

carlo6529

EatChildren said:
We basically know nothing about the game other than how the controls work. Literally. No idea how the travel works, the dungeon system, the overall flow of the game, etc.

Well we found out a bit of the story through the round table thread.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Anyone else think Links pants are too baggy?

unifin

Good news is that even the Moblins take off a full heart of damage, looks like. If the demo has this level of damage, bodes well for the actual game + later stages.

Gahiggidy

Pancho said:
People playing the damn demos have the worse skills ever, always. =/
Hey man, at least they are a lot better then that Japanese dude was playing on stage.

Enoch

Gahiggidy said:
Hey man, at least they are a lot better then that Japanese dude was playing on stage.
:lol But I agree, the guy in the GT videos was so frustrating. It really is a rule that all demo players are terrible.

Sirius

From the developer roundtable:

Q: Will Zelda have orchestral music?

A: We can't do what we did in Super Mario Galaxy 2 and not move forward and do the same thing in Zelda. We have people on staff looking forward to getting to work on that.

This is pretty much the icing + cherry on the cake, which is by itself truly mindblowing after re-listening to the orchestral music from the trailers.

Now you see why Zelda games have tutorials and hints. An option to play without obvious holding hands would be perfect. A simple question when you make a save file...

"Is this your first time playing a Legend of Zelda game?"

The game looks absolutely stunning! And I'm liking the more fantastical environments they're going with. Normally the environments are the usual snow/mountain/water/forest areas with the inhabitants being the unique draw, but the giant mushrooms and whatnot give this forest area a feel unlike any other in the Zelda verse, imo. It's a direction I was hoping they'd head. :D

Can't wait to find out more.

KevinCow

Banned
Anonymous Tipster said:
I was getting so frustrated watching him.

Horizontal. Horizontal. HORIZONTAL.

THE JUMPING ATTACKED WORKED ONCE.

HORIZONTAL.

And some people wonder why we have step-by-step tutorials that cater to the lowest common denominator.

I'm confident the controls will be perfect by the time of this games release.

You can't look at the level of polish on previous first party Nintendo games and think they'd really release a game with controls that shitty.

Camera is one thing... controls is another.

DotComa said:
game looks awesome
Logo and subtitle style looks like a bad american-anime cartoon. Hope it's not final...
I like the Hyrule Crest behind the Zelda logo, but I'm not digging the subtitle font.

Not a big deal by any means, but they could definitely spruce it up a bit before release.

one_kill

Will the sword controls become tiring after long gaming sessions? Miyamoto admits, yeah it gets tiring. We designed the E3 version to have very aggressive enemies. The final version will have better pacing with puzzles to solve, you won't have just swordfighting. It won't tire you out as much as you think if you look at the E3 demo. You can tweak it for smaller moves, but it feels better when you really get into it.

http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/109/1098500p1.html
'Take a break' messages confirmed?

Rpgmonkey

rar

is it just me or do the 3d zeldas have the worst huds? i know you can turn it off, but still... move on

Vizion28

Banned
Aonuma says that recent Zeldas have been focusing on things like story and dungeons. Skyward will instead focus on "fun".

Thank you. That is all I wanted to know.

That's the most important aspect of a video game. At least to me it is. All the nitpicking is pretty much just nitpicking.

rar said:
is it just me or do the 3d zeldas have the worst huds? i know you can turn it off, but still... move on
Yeah I agree. Especially Twilight Princess where it still stays as if it was 4:3 even when you are playing in 16:9. :/

Top Bottom