• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4chan in trouble - Martin Shkreli wants to be the new moot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deleting /pol/ wouldn't do shit, they'd just invade another board and business as usual.

The major problem is people ad-blocking (but understandable if you've used the site since 2003/before ads were needed) and Moot's replacement not asking Moot on ideas on how to keep it on breaking even.

Even DURING Moot's tenure, you had donation drives or moot struggling to pay the bill.
I think Moot wants complete separation from 4chan at this point.
Especially with his new job at Google.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

No shit. My point is: Moot never told Hiro the entire story of why he wanted out. He was getting tired of having to foot the bill for 4chan. It's been known to old-school 4channer's that the bills were exploding in terms of cost and how many servers were needed for the constantly increasing userbase. Moot has to be commended for balancing that, but he never told Hiro and Hiro figured (with his 2chan experience) he could keep it afloat but western users are totally different than Japanese users.

they would invade downwards, not up. end up at 8chan like gamergate did

WHOOSH goes my point over your head.

People are going "DELETE /pol/! NOTHING OF VALUE LOST!" when the point is: They'd go to /b/ or /v/ or /tv/ and post threads there to the point that mods can't keep up. Got nothing to do with splinter channels.

4chan is also responsible for Pokemon Sage, VA-11 HALL-A, the popularity of Minecraft (Notch posted on /v/ in the very early days of the alpha,) and they have an amateur game dev general where all kinds of stuff is getting made (which is where VA-11 HALL-A originated.)

The creator of Risk of Rain also frequented /vg/'s /agdg/.

Odrion

Banned
WHOOSH goes my point over your head.

People are going "DELETE /pol/! NOTHING OF VALUE LOST!" when the point is: They'd go to /b/ or /v/ or /tv/ and post threads there to the point that mods can't keep up. Got nothing to do with splinter channels.
if mods can't keep up, then you get more mods

It'd be for the best if the whole site evaporated...

ShutitDown.gif

4chan is a double edged sword. It is free speech, to an extent, you just have to wade through the 90% of trash to find anything worth reading.

I learned more about investing in a month browsing /biz/ than I did a year on Reddit. I assume it's because how places like Reddit are so badly moderated.

But yes, we don't need a lot of the 4chan boards, but I wouldn't remove everything. Again there is some value in 4chan. Lurk Moar.

Shkreli is basically the hero 4chan deserves: A young sociopath who cares about nothing besides his own entertainment, and will ruin the lives of countless others just to amuse himself. The only thing that separates him from an average 4chan user is his fat stacks of cash.

Coreda

There are some occasional gems. It's funny how various creations/clips will be posted here without mentioning they originate from 4chan and will be enjoyed yet people will still post how the board is nothing but trash. And not the obvious 4chan style stuff, either, sometimes just humorous things someone has clipped that no one else has noticed. The rest of the junk is what comes with being an anonymous, barely moderated, image board but there is still value in anonymity.

BTW Shkreli copying spreadsheet data by hand in Excel is something else. Was linked to it on Hacker News.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The people in charge of internet message boards all go absentee or sell out due to the stresses and drama and hopeless daily battles against entropy, and no one manages to keep them financially stable while preserving community identity, growth, usability and effective moderation.

Probably just an impossible proposal from the start, though. I mean, the internet has all those anonymous mean people with high expectations, no one wants to spend money or even allow ads to load, and there are so many complex social dynamics to understand and shape, technical challenges...golly. Where would you even start?

The people in charge of internet message boards all go absentee or sell out due to the stresses and drama and hopeless daily battles against entropy, and no one manages to keep them financially stable while preserving community identity, growth, usability and effective moderation.

Probably just an impossible proposal from the start, though. I mean, the internet has all those anonymous mean people with high expectations, no one wants to spend money or even allow ads to load, and there are so many complex social dynamics to understand and shape, technical challenges...golly. Where would you even start?
Buy 4chan pls

Evi you can #Make4ChanGreatAgain.
I believe in you.

Joyful

somethingawful route, charge for membership,avatars,etc

edit: also ghost song looks like a really cool game

Permanently A

I'm pretty sure /v/ would lose its collective shit if you were to buy 4chan. They fucking HATE this place.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
/pol/ is not containment. It is an organization for those people. Take it away and they have no place to organize raiding other boards. There was far less cuck shit, racist shit, and Jewish conspiracy shit on 4chan before /pol/ was brought back.

Atenhaus

God fucking damnit, 4chan has one of the best photography communities on the entire Internet. Literally nowhere else compares.

God fucking damnit, 4chan has one of the best photography communities on the entire Internet. Literally nowhere else compares.
4chan has tons of awesome communities. Their tech, food and science boards are amazing for this, and their automotive board helped me decide to pursue a motorbike licence.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Merge NeoGaf and 4chan. Change the name to NeoChan, make all current gaf members mods, and combine /pol/ with Popgaf. Ezpz

That thank you card was worth it just for the butthurt it still causes on /v/ today. A lot of them despise Treehouse now.

I remember the "me too" thread on neogaf too, man that shit was embarrassing, people being total creeps posting social network photos of the dudes from the treehouse.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Buy 4chan pls

I can get my CV up to date, maybe do some volunteer work and organize a few charity fundraisers, you know, demonstrate the necessary values and standards for leading a high profile community website visited by millions of people worldwide like 4chan, but even if I were to manage all that convincingly and get through the door, how would buying 4chan work? What do I get paid for buying 4chan?

Can I ask for regular additions to my Encyclopedia Dramatica article? What about a weekly meme creation event using my latest photo ops, preferably incorporating Hitler or even a rotation of notable authoritarian villains? Or would that kind of stuff be too vain and presumptuous to bring up? Help me out here, GAF. I get pretty nervous in high pressure situations and don't want to fuck up my chances against that HIV medication profiteer.

I can get my CV up to date, maybe do some volunteer work and organize a few charity fundraisers, you know, demonstrate the necessary values and standards for leading a high profile community website visited by millions of people worldwide like 4chan, but even if I were to manage all that convincingly and get through the door, how would buying 4chan work? What do I get paid for buying 4chan?

Can I ask for regular additions to my Encyclopedia Dramatica article? What about a weekly meme creation event using my latest photo ops, preferably incorporating Hitler or even a rotation of notable authoritarian villains? Or would that kind of stuff be too vain and presumptuous to bring up? Help me out here, GAF. I get pretty nervous in high pressure situations and don't want to fuck up my chances against that HIV medication profiteer.
Consider it charity and helping the internet at large by cleaning up one of its historic sites. 🙃
In return those that are left on 4chan and aren't completely repulsed by yoi will love and worship you forever. Look where it got m00t. What could go wrong?

Well seeing how Google failed to launch a social network that isn't crap or a desert, I would guess Moot is only working there because of his experience with 4Chan. But then again I doubt he truly understand why 4Chan thrived so much over the years while other boards of similar nature that also copied Futaba never survived beyond a year, with some exceptions.

LordCiego

Just remove the gif boards, that content can be found elsewhere and are the most resource heavy ones.

And for the people that hate 4chan, I think you hate the general concept of what it means and what it has become in some places, but evading the shitposting and trolling you have some of the best boards on the web.

For example there is no better place to discuss Mecha on the whole Internet than /m/, if 4chan were to shut down theres not a substitute out there. And I suppose the same happens with other boards.

Deft Beck

Consider it charity and helping the internet at large by cleaning up one of its historic sites. 🙃
In return those that are left on 4chan and aren't completely repulsed by yoi will love and worship you forever. Look where it got m00t. What could go wrong?

Cleaning up 4chan is completely impossible.

AndrewPL

site is ugly, ui unwieldy and has some of the worst people on the internet.

I have no idea how it lasted this long.

You'd get your very own moeblob avatar with accompanying fanart.

What more could anyone want?

/pol/ and post-gamergate /v/ drove me away from 4chan and got me to register on GAF but I still hold a small torch for /a/ and /vg/.

Martin Shkreli starts Twitter feuds with Patton Oswalt and Stephen Colbert and calls them libtards. He's an unhinged dork always looking for his extra fifteen minutes of fame. Would make for a terrible owner.

Well seeing how Google failed to launch a social network that isn't crap or a desert, I would guess Moot is only working there because of his experience with 4Chan. But then again I doubt he truly understand why 4Chan thrived so much over the years while other boards of similar nature that also copied Futaba never survived beyond a year, with some exceptions.
This sounds incredibly salty.
Are you bitter about the way Moots tenure on 4chan ended up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom