• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Revealed [N-CONF] - Releasing in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

No release date yet? Damn that sucks. I want to try out one of these things...more importantly, I want to buy one and replace my current DSLITE.

Dizzy-4U said:
Wait, so the 3D effect is like the image is coming off the screen (like in the movies)? I thought that the 3D effect was about the illusion that the screen has depth and you look into the screen.

Nope. Reports were happy to say that things are actually popping out at you.

Mrbob said:
No release date yet? Damn that sucks. I want to try out one of these things...more importantly, I want to buy one and replace my current DSLITE.
It's be nice to have even a rough idea but I am guessing late winter/spring 2011.

Saints Row 3D is going to be AMAZING, amazing I tell you!

mollipen

I'm sure this has all been said to death by this point, but I just got home from the first day of the show, so hey.

The 40-second (or so) demo they were showing in person after the keynote had me a believer. The demo was simply mind-blowing, and I honestly can't remember the last time a new technology/gimmick in gaming utterly shocked me that much.

(It was, by the way, a thousand LOLs when the very first thing that happened at Sony's conference was that I was handed 3D glasses as I walked in, right after Nintendo had told me how crappy such things were. *heh*)

The on-floor demos were a mixed bag, however. Stuff direct from Nintendo seemed to look and work wonderfully: Mario Kart and Nintendogs were quite nice, Animal Crossing was OMFG pretty, the little sub game they had wasn't too shabby. Kid Icarus was in video only (the other tech demos were game engine stuff), and video stuff didn't always come off great. Dynasty Warriors (or whatever it was) gained nothing from the 3D. I was very eager to try Ridge Racer, and at first, I thought the 3D effects were surprisingly dull. I then realized the 3D slider was only at the midway point, so I cranked it up... and after about 10 seconds of playing like that I felt like I was going to throw up. I don't know what's going on in that game, but good god is it an f'n mess in 3D.

I also watched a trailer for some talking owls movie which looked very nice. Very interesting to see that Nintendo may potentially be trying to push movies on the 3DS.

I'm not sold on the overall look - the big top screen bezel is quite ugly on some of the models. Okay, on most of the models. Alright, possibly on all of the models. The whole design just feels very un-balanced, a shame after how cleaned up the DS has become. On the floor, they had red, purple, gold, maybe blue, and I think one other color of 3DS, and I've got to say that none of the choices were attracted in the least.

I think the most important thing for me is fully understanding that the 3D isn't a new gameplay mechanic like the touchscreen or dual screens, and that I have to be careful not to mistakenly think it is. It's kind of like going from SD to HD: a change in the way the game is visually presented, but not a huge difference maker in how they'll play.

I haven't had a chance to see other's opinions on the power of the 3DS yet, but to me it kind of felt like what I would think of when I think of the best looking PSP titles.

I will say that as much as I was wishing the DS would continue to keep chugging along, after seeing the 3DS today I think I'm ready for it.

wwm0nkey

Well the first day of E3 has come to a close and even though Ive played A LOT of new things, I just wanted to give my hands on impressions of the 3DS.

3D: 3D effect is really good and the adjustment knob really helps too. The ability to turn it on and off at will really impressed me. Also for those with glasses you WILL be able to experience the 3D as well. Also since this doesnt use glasses it is also less strainfull on the eyes and if it does strain you, just turn it off. Some games really look amazing with 3D on, like Kingdom Hearts 3D.

Graphics: Here is one thing that really blew me away, at first I was like ok, it has the abilities off a Wii which is still impressive, then I saw Metal Gear and Resident Evil. Metal Gear 3 has been enhanced from its PS2 version while not a lot, there are some noticeable differences. Then there is Resident Evil which really blew me away, it looked like a straight up 360/PS3 quality game, I kid you not it was AMAZING! Not going to spoil too much if you dont already know, but Chris and Jill are back! Kingdom Hearts looked just like the PS2 version as takes place between Birth By Sleep and the first game. Star Fox 64 was amazing to play and the new upgraded visuals where welcome as well.

Controls: Well there isnt too much to say here besides the fact that the Analog officially made this device amazing in every aspect, also thanks to the tilt sensor and gyro sensor, more control options are now open.

Verdict: Great device and a lot of great titles already lined up for it make this Nintendo's best handheld system yet! Day one buy!

slider

The screen impressions are a huge draw. But then the game line-up came and finished me off. Day one methinks. And it'll be only my 2nd ever Nintendo system (after the Gameboy!).

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
So the 3DS was announced TODAY and it already has:

A fuck awesome looking, unexpected Kid Icarus game
Remakes/upgrades of my two favorite games of all time
MGS3, the best in the series
Mario Kart
Paper Mario
and a ridiculously good 3rd party line up.

This is honestly the best lineup for a brand new console, on top of that the 3D seems to be done completely right which is just a god-send. Simplifies it to the level of "just works" which is exactly what 3D needs to be.

FUUUUCK.

Show me where to preorder, I'll pay 300.

And I know this is just echoing everyone else but thank GOD for Nintendo. I was getting sick of shooty bang bang 60 dollar shoot em ups. This is exactly what I needed from E3!!!

ok... needed to get all that out of my system. So mega hyped.

wwm0nkey said:
Well the first day of E3 has come to a close and even though Ive played A LOT of new things, I just wanted to give my hands on impressions of the 3DS.

3D: 3D effect is really good and the adjustment knob really helps too. The ability to turn it on and off at will really impressed me. Also for those with glasses you WILL be able to experience the 3D as well. Also since this doesnt use glasses it is also less strainfull on the eyes and if it does strain you, just turn it off. Some games really look amazing with 3D on, like Kingdom Hearts 3D.

Graphics: Here is one thing that really blew me away, at first I was like ok, it has the abilities off a Wii which is still impressive, then I saw Metal Gear and Resident Evil. Metal Gear 3 has been enhanced from its PS2 version while not a lot, there are some noticeable differences. Then there is Resident Evil which really blew me away, it looked like a straight up 360/PS3 quality game, I kid you not it was AMAZING! Not going to spoil too much if you dont already know, but Chris and Jill are back! Kingdom Hearts looked just like the PS2 version as takes place between Birth By Sleep and the first game. Star Fox 64 was amazing to play and the new upgraded visuals where welcome as well.

Controls: Well there isnt too much to say here besides the fact that the Analog officially made this device amazing in every aspect, also thanks to the tilt sensor and gyro sensor, more control options are now open.

Verdict: Great device and a lot of great titles already lined up for it make this Nintendo's best handheld system yet! Day one buy!

Can you confirm then that these images are fully representative (maybe apart from the AA) of the Resident Evil demo you saw:

4k77yb.jpg

2mzywi1.jpg

29w39zn.jpg

wwm0nkey

brain_stew said:
Can you confirm then that these images are fully representative (maybe apart from the AA) of the Resident Evil demo you saw:
Yeah pretty much, what we where shown was a man in the chair (who I thought was Christ for a sec) and Jill holding a gun to his head, then the real Chris came in and held a gun to Jills head, still though got a good feel of the graphics from it though.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Kodiak said:
So the 3DS was announced TODAY and it already has:

A fuck awesome looking, unexpected Kid Icarus game
Remakes/upgrades of my two favorite games of all time
MGS3, the best in the series
Mario Kart
Paper Mario
and a ridiculously good 3rd party line up.

This is honestly the best lineup for a brand new console, on top of that the 3D seems to be done completely right which is just a god-send. Simplifies it to the level of "just works" which is exactly what 3D needs to be.

FUUUUCK.

Show me where to preorder, I'll pay 300.

And I know this is just echoing everyone else but thank GOD for Nintendo. I was getting sick of shooty bang bang 60 dollar shoot em ups. This is exactly what I needed from E3!!!

ok... needed to get all that out of my system. So mega hyped.

Yup, the DS is one of my favorite gaming consoles ever, it pushed me from home console to spending a huge majority of my time on handheld consoles.

The 3DS will likely be my finishing blow, with this console I probably will never need to buy a home console again :D

AniHawk

Here's my impressions from another thread.

So today began with waiting in line for THREE HOURS to see the 3DS. It was actually kinda worth it because I didn't see any of the stuff in the press conference because I didn't see the press conference. Pilotwings, Star Fox (supposedly), Kid Icarus, MGS3D, and Paper Mario were huge surprises, seeing OLD games in 3D was a big surprise, and the ability to turn it to 2D was GREAT. There was a trailer for Tangled there since the machine can also play movies, but I doubt I'd use the machine much for that.

Toward the end of the stay in the 3DS area, I checked out a weird little target game that was basically like the Eye of Judgment PS3 card game. Really neat little tech demo. Then I turned around and saw Matt Groening right there. He stuck his hand out and we shook hands. He reminded me about Futurama starting soon and we talked for about a minute. Afterward, I did what I never do and asked if I could take a picture of him, and he said his son Abe would take a picture of us. So that was really cool.

pictures:
Line starts here!
Line starts here? Well that's not so- MOTHERFUCKER
Teal 3DS
Red 3DS
Purple 3DS
Burnt Orange 3DS
Case, game card, and charging station
Totally NOT a video of Metal Gear Solid 3D

wwm0nkey said:
Yeah pretty much, what we where shown was a man in the chair (who I thought was Christ for a sec) and Jill holding a gun to his head, then the real Chris came in and held a gun to Jills head, still though got a good feel of the graphics from it though.

Like this?

18zue.png

Thankls for confirming this, I'm basically the only person on GAF that believes those shots are real! :lol

I take it the real thing didn't have that level of AA though?

AniHawk said:

So today began with waiting in line for THREE HOURS to see the 3DS. It was actually kinda worth it because I didn't see any of the stuff in the press conference because I didn't see the press conference. Pilotwings, Star Fox (supposedly), Kid Icarus, MGS3D, and Paper Mario were huge surprises, seeing OLD games in 3D was a big surprise, and the ability to turn it to 2D was GREAT. There was a trailer for Tangled there since the machine can also play movies, but I doubt I'd use the machine much for that.

Toward the end of the stay in the 3DS area, I checked out a weird little target game that was basically like the Eye of Judgment PS3 card game. Really neat little tech demo. Then I turned around and saw Matt Groening right there. He stuck his hand out and we shook hands. He reminded me about Futurama starting soon and we talked for about a minute. Afterward, I did what I never do and asked if I could take a picture of him, and he said his son Abe would take a picture of us. So that was really cool.

pictures:
Line starts here!
Teal 3DS
Red 3DS
Purple 3DS
Burnt Orange 3DS

were you able to hold it or test the analog nub?

AniHawk

Linkzg said:
were you able to hold it or test the analog nub?
Yep! slider thing works pretty well. I mean, an analog stick would still be much better, but this is a big improvement over the PSP's analog nub.

The thing was actually lighter than the DS Lite

DonMigs85

I guess old DS games will look a little blurrier/upscaled since the even the touch screen now has a 320x240 res instead of 256x192?

AniHawk said:
Yep! slider thing works pretty well. I mean, an analog stick would still be much better, but this is a big improvement over the PSP's analog nub.
Did the RE demo really have antialiasing? This is important!

iceatcs

Most looking forward is I can take a picture of my erect penis in 3D

When will it get first public demo? I need to judge the 3D effect on any environment condition.

wwm0nkey

brain_stew said:
Like this?

Thankls for confirming this, I'm basically the only person on GAF that believes those shots are real! :lol

Yes exactly like that, but yes there are some obvious Jaggies but still looks absolutely stunning, since Super Street Fighter 4 is also hitting the device im assuming it also uses this version of the MT framework.

Also I am praying that the online mode for Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is the same as the Xbox version...anyone up for playing Spies vs Mercs with me lol

AniHawk

Ignis Fatuus said:
Did the RE demo really have antialiasing? This is important!

i don't even know how to look for that stuff, but i didn't notice any jaggies. it should be noted though that it wasn't a demo: it was just a trailer, and probably not indicative of in-game footage.

most everything was a trailer. the ones that weren't were the sims game, nintendogs, pilotwings, and supposedly star fox 64 (but i didn't play that one or pilotwings). a friend really liked pilotwings though.

AniHawk said:

The thing was actually lighter than the DS Lite

sounds good. It looks nice in pictures.

AniHawk said:
oh and did i mention that i saw super mario bros, mega man 2, and yoshi's island in 3D? because i totally did.

how do 2D games translate to 3D? do they just separate the background from the characters?

So, I don't really have any idea how this 3D tech works. But could something like this be implemented on a regular tv screen? Does anyone have any info on how it works? The few hands-on impressions I read are just HOLY SHIT ITS AWESOME but nothing about how it works. Closest I have is IGN's:

Nintendo is using an LCD technology that sends each eye an independent image that the brain merges together, and the effect adds depth. A lot of depth. The effect is immediately obvious, yet seems so natural. And there are multiple sweet spots, so you don't have to awkwardly hold the system in a position that doesn't feel comfortable. If you twist the system you'll get double images and lose the 3D, but it's simple to keep the stereoscopic effect within view.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
AniHawk said:

pictures:
Line starts here!
Teal 3DS
Red 3DS
Purple 3DS
Burnt Orange 3DS
Wow, at the bees on the suspension bridge. Is it my imagination, or can you still get a little of the 3D effect even in 2D video? Also, what I don't understand is why peeps with only one eye can't get the effect? You don't need glasses, so I assume the same image is going to both eyes. Stereoscopic is only a part of how the mind deciphers distance, as I understand. Has anyone demoing the unit tried covering up one eye to see how it looks?

Mashing

brain_stew said:
You've been able to virtualise surround sound over a pair of stereo heaphones with very good effect in the PC space for nearly a decade now, and trust me it works much better than you'd imagine. It'd be awesome if the 3DS included similar technology, that'd really get me hyped and it was something I speculated on (though didn't expect) before the E3 reveal.

Oh, I remember seeing a demo of 3d positional audio with stereo speakers a long time ago. That was indeed awesome, and incredibly easy to reproduce.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
The hardware looks ridiculously awesome and that software lineup is just stunning. I cannot wait for this.

wwm0nkey

AniHawk said:
i don't even know how to look for that stuff, but i didn't notice any jaggies. it should be noted though that it wasn't a demo: it was just a trailer, and probably not indicative of in-game footage.

most everything was a trailer. the ones that weren't were the sims game, nintendogs, pilotwings, and supposedly star fox 64 (but i didn't play that one or pilotwings). a friend really liked pilotwings though.
From what I was told by a Capcom representative is that it was a in game cut scene. Also due to the fact you had the ability to control the camera angles during the cutscene kind of makes me believe this lol

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
If those RE shots are real.....man, I pray we can hit the DSi's battery life. America becomes the next Japan! Commuters dump their cars! Everyone's playing 3DS on the trains!

brain_stew said:

I mean, I think people aren't giving the graphics capabilities enough credit. The hands on impressions have been fantastic; Chris Kohler was uber impressed:

The graphics, which are much more advanced than you’d expect from Nintendo, left me pretty much in disbelief. They’re on a level with Sony’s PSP, probably even a little better than that. But the eye-popping 3-D effect makes everything that much richer.

iceatcs

Gahiggidy said:
Wow, at the bees on the suspension bridge. Is it my imagination, or can you still get a little of the 3D effect even in 2D video? Also, what I don't understand is why peeps with only one eye can't get the effect? You don't need glasses, so I assume the same image is going to both eyes. Stereoscopic is only a part of how the mind deciphers distance, as I understand. Has anyone demoing the unit tried covering up one eye to see how it looks?
Each eye have different angle view. Try look at your finger little closer and stay still, then close each once a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom