• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Revealed [N-CONF] - Releasing in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Calidor said:
Just came from work and red the whole thing. What else to say? fucking day 1

and everyone stop saying that it's okay to pay 200$+ or they will actually price it at that!

I'll get one @ 200$ :D

Who wouldn't?

Sanic

I'm honestly more excited for the 3DS than I have been for any gaming related item in a LONG time. I stopped playing my DS in 2006, so i've missed out on a LOT of good stuff, so that alone has me thrilled. And of course we have all of these great new 3DS games announced!

I'm sure similar has been said multiple times at this point, but...really, this is awesome. And that isn't including all of the great 3D stuff that'll materialize.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Fantastical said:
I REALLY, REALLY hope so. I'm really interested in the system's online features and stuff like firmware updates and what the 'home' menus looks like and does. I hope Nintendo steps it up, like we got a taste of it with the DSi, and I hope they hammer in some good features in the 3DS. Ways to connect to friends easier and... achievements. :p Although that will never happen.

Nintendo Points :lol

or Nintendoints!

I'm kinda spoiled by the DSIXL's big screen. I'm a bit disappointed that the 3ds screen is smaller than that but I'm hoping the next iteration of the 3DS enlarges the screen a bit. I may wait but the allure of some JRPG and SRPG games may be too much for me.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Fantastical said:
I REALLY, REALLY hope so. I'm really interested in the system's online features and stuff like firmware updates and what the 'home' menus looks like and does. I hope Nintendo steps it up, like we got a taste of it with the DSi, and I hope they hammer in some good features in the 3DS. Ways to connect to friends easier and... achievements. :p Although that will never happen.

You know it's going to happen.

Nintendo brings back Friend Codes.

Rich!

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I'm kinda spoiled by the DSIXL's big screen. I'm a bit disappointed that the 3ds screen is smaller than that but I'm hoping the next iteration of the 3DS enlarges the screen a bit. I may wait but the allure of some JRPG and SRPG games may be too much for me.

Ah yes, but the 3DS has a bigger screen you see. A screen that goes right into your face.

Eteric Rice

richisawesome said:
You know what I want to "see" next from the 3DS?

A good example of it's audio capabilities. I'm guessing it'll be similar to the DS due to the cartridge format. Streaming audio would be nice, but the DS already supports that (it's used in Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, for example). It all depends on cartridge size.

Didn't Kojima say something about 5.1 in his impressions video?

LiK

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

3DS XL, just you wait.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Still sticking to my 189.99 price point guess.

Anyone else think we'll get a japanese blowout at the October conference and a launch a few weeks later?

This is the first time I'm excited for a new Nintendo hardware since the original gameboy advance. Wow! :lol Pretty much everything about the 3DS seems cool and I like the lineup.

Yaweee

WickedAngel said:
I wish Sega would do an Eternal Arcadia remake for the 3DS.

That would be fucking fantastic, but incorrectly assumes that Sega understands what fans of their respective series want.

Dizzy-4U

richisawesome said:
Ah yes, but the 3DS has a bigger screen you see. A screen that goes right into your face.
Wait, so the 3D effect is like the image is coming off the screen (like in the movies)? I thought that the 3D effect was about the illusion that the screen has depth and you look into the screen.

hey, i mapped out the size of these new 3DS screens based on the released specs and the screens appear to not even be as large as a DSi's screens... can anyone else back me up on that? cause i'm sure i measured it correctly.

JaseMath

Really excited for the line up, but if that's the almost-final design, I'll wait for the inevitable, refined second edition. Why's there so much bevel on that top screen?! Is the 3D technology a factor there?

mclem

charlequin said:
Looks like a $199 device to me. Lot of random cost-cutting (one reused old DS touchscreen, sticking with 0.3mp cameras, etc.) to keep it low enough to sell at a good starting price, IMO.

I'm not sure it is; wasn't the DS touchscreen 256x192 or something like that? The tech specs on Nintendo's site peg the touchscreen at 320x240. So that's a bit of a boost, too.

markot

Banned
Kinda hoped they would get rid of the huge gap between screens >.>

But it looks like most games announced just use the top screen...

I think the 3DS reveals mirrors the original DS reveal pretty closely. Not a lot of finished games at hand at E3, design still being worked on, but lots of support shown and the promise of a great handheld to come.

Methinks sometime in August/September, Nintendo finalizes the design and announces the release date for the 3DS to be late November of this year, with a price tag of $199 and a launch line-up of Ocarina of Time 3DS, Kid Icarus 3D, DJ Hero 3D, Professor Layton, aaaaaand maybe a few more third party games.

lachesis

Skies of arcadia, for some reason, was first thing I thought of when I saw 3ds. Perhaps because of Kid Ikarus. ;)

Then again, wouldn't it be awesome to have some sort of Panzer Dragoon on 3DS - perhaps a remake/sequel of PDS? :D

mclem

practice02 said:
anybody else think the 3ds will be download games only?

It has a cartridge slot. It has a cartridge style that visibly differs from the DS cartridge style. Finally, they've seen the PSP Go.

I'm going to say 'no' there.

Dizzy-4U said:
Wait, so the 3D effect is like the image is coming off the screen (like in the movies)? I thought that the 3D effect was about the illusion that the screen has depth and you look into the screen.
Just like the movies, it is capable of both. The Metal Gear Solid demo extends some things out of the screen a bit.

Calcaneus

DeathbyVolcano said:
I think the 3DS reveals mirrors the original DS reveal pretty closely. Not a lot of finished games at hand at E3, design still being worked on, but lots of support shown and the promise of a great handheld to come.

Methinks sometime in August/September, Nintendo finalizes the design and announces the release date for the 3DS to be late November of this year, with a price tag of $199 and a launch line-up of Ocarina of Time 3DS, Kid Icarus 3D, DJ Hero 3D, Professor Layton, aaaaaand maybe a few more third party games.
If they can even get four of the high-profile announced games out at launch. it would be the best handheld launch line up ever.

Calcaneus said:
If they can even get four of the high-profile announced games out at launch. it would be the best handheld launch line up ever.
Kid Icarus and Ocarina of Time alone would make it the best handheld launch ever.

d[-_-]b

Banned
GDGF said:
Still sticking to my 189.99 price point guess.

Anyone else think we'll get a japanese blowout at the October conference and a launch a few weeks later?
Agreed this would be the max price they'd go with 189.99

My impressions that I posted elsewhere:

Very cool 3D effect, especially the Metal Gear Solid 3 demo (where you could only control the camera) with its 3D jungle and hanging from bridges over ravines. Has a kind of chincy "shimmer" during the 3D, like those 3D lenticular stickers, though, and sometimes the 3D effect seems more like a few flat layers in 3D space than full 3D objects (depends on the game/movie). And the graphics technology is quite a bit better than the old DS - seemed like Gamecube quality, definitely better than PSP, in some games (others, like Nintendogs, not so much).

One disappointment: there were no cats in the Nintendogs demo.

nickcv

Trojita said:
You know it's going to happen.

Nintendo brings back Friend Codes.

i think we are going to have a system update later this year o at the beginning of the next year to give us proper gaming accounts.

Nintendo is not stupid, they know that they cannot take away the digital games that people bought just because they want to upgrade to their next gen (they saw what happened with the PSP GO) so they'll have to tie those games to a gaming account before the next gen really starts, and i hope they won't wait until Wii 2 (btw i think the name Wii Advanced sounds much cooler) to do that.

And if you have to give us game accounts, why not get rid of those stupid friend codes?

rareside

Any guesses to when they'll announce release date? Don't wanna wait til TGS!! Let me know when I can get one of these bad boys!!

Branduil

charlequin said:
Looks like a $199 device to me. Lot of random cost-cutting (one reused old DS touchscreen, sticking with 0.3mp cameras, etc.) to keep it low enough to sell at a good starting price, IMO.

Re: graphical power, we have a whole thread discussing that, but at minimum it appears to support a full range of modern shaders and the MGS3 tech demo they're showing looks better than the original PS2 game.
It doesn't reuse the DS touchscreen.

seady

Looks like they will get rid of the dual screen thing as time goes.
The screens are now different in size so it's hard to make it stitch together without feeling arkward. And they don't need to anyway as the top screen is big enough.

I kind of wish it will be both touch screen though.

Also, is the bottom screen the same size as the current DS Lite?

As much as I'm tempted, I think I may wait the extra year and a half or two to get the much sleeker, thinner, and LED equipped Nintendo 3DS Lite.

Wow, I was a big PSP fan last generation, but there is no way that I can't pick up the 3DS. Incredible. Great job Nintendo.

Now just get the price right. $200>

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
seady said:
The screens are now different in size so it's hard to make it stitch together without feeling arkward. And they don't need to anyway as the top screen is big enough.

Yeah, we speculate that it is just a DS Lite touch screen, to save on production costs.

nickcv

seady said:

from what i understood to have the 3D effect we actually lose some pixels, so they need it to be bigger than the lower one.

Btw i don't really think we are ever going to lose the lower screen, they won't let casual gamers run away, and they all want to use the stylus as their primary input method.

And anyway i think it's impossible to have a 3D touch screen, it would be really too awkward to use.

Kaeru

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
My impressions that I posted elsewhere:

Very cool 3D effect, especially the Metal Gear Solid 3 demo (where you could only control the camera) with its 3D jungle and hanging from bridges over ravines. Has a kind of chincy "shimmer" during the 3D, like those 3D lenticular stickers, though, and sometimes the 3D effect seems more like a few flat layers in 3D space than full 3D objects (depends on the game/movie). And the graphics technology is quite a bit better than the old DS - seemed like Gamecube quality, definitely better than PSP, in some games (others, like Nintendogs, not so much).

One disappointment: there were no cats in the Nintendogs demo.

does it pop out?

LCfiner

I would have loved it if the bottom screen was the same widescreen size as the top one and had a capacitive multi touch sensor instead of resistive touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom