• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Revealed [N-CONF] - Releasing in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
This saved E3 for me. I wasn't wowed by anything at Microsoft's, or Sony's press conferences, and Nintendo's didn't do much....until this. Sexy, amazing machine. Putting my money down on it the second it's up for pre order.

WowBaby

The price will not be too steep. Especially given the fact that Nintendo is reducing the prices of the DSi and DSi XL models.

I'm still surprised there's so many games announced for the 3DS. It's nice to see what nintendo's in-house teams have been up to for the last ~18 months.

I guess nintendo do not plan to take any chances with their handheld market. They're coming out quick and they're coming out strong. They're not leaving any room for competition.

I've got to say, I'm actually kind of pissed about this. I mean, I love Nintendo and everything, but I can't help but feel kind of ripped off after just buying a DSi last year. There hasn't even been any notable software releases for it besides the DSiware service... and now they want me to buy this? There will have to be some pretty compelling software to get me to jump ship... again.

DigitalDevil said:
I've got to say, I'm actually kind of pissed about this. I mean, I love Nintendo and everything, but I can't help but feel kind of ripped off after just buying a DSi last year. There hasn't even been any notable software releases for it besides the DSiware service... and now they want me to buy this? There will have to be some pretty compelling software to get me to jump ship... again.

It's your own fault, Nintendo is a business and wants your money.

thomaser

Is nobody talking about Steel Diver? I always wondered about what happened to that... if you remember, it was among the very first demos showed for the original DS. So this game has been in development for at least 6 years!

DeathbyVolcano said:
It's your own fault, Nintendo is a business and wants your money.

It's my fault for buying a SYSTEM from Nintendo and expecting them to support it?

somebody post a pic of the virtual boy

Rich!

DigitalDevil said:

I brought a DSi XL a couple of months ago, knowing full well the 3DS was coming (after the initial press announcement).

I brought it because I knew the 3DS wouldnt be coming out until at least the very end of the year, most likely 2011. Why go without a handheld for that long? As soon as the 3DS comes out, I'll be trading in my XL for it.

See? By the 3DS' release, I would have had a good long time playing on the XL, and then got a good amount of my money back in credit towards the 3DS. Simple.

Lespedeza

Banned
Lyphen said:
This saved E3 for me. I wasn't wowed by anything at Microsoft's, or Sony's press conferences, and Nintendo's didn't do much....until this. Sexy, amazing machine. Putting my money down on it the second it's up for pre order.
Exactly how I felt. After being bored to death with both Microsoft, and Sony I was already getting ready to hate on Nintendo, untill this......I don't say this often, but if they can get me Ridge Racer as a launch title I'll be there day 1.

Also Paper Mario!

Looks like a $199 device to me. Lot of random cost-cutting (one reused old DS touchscreen, sticking with 0.3mp cameras, etc.) to keep it low enough to sell at a good starting price, IMO.

Re: graphical power, we have a whole thread discussing that, but at minimum it appears to support a full range of modern shaders and the MGS3 tech demo they're showing looks better than the original PS2 game.

WowBaby

DigitalDevil said:

It's not a ripoff. People are willing to pay a lot for second hand consoles. That's how I always upgrade.

LiK

charlequin said:
Looks like a $199 device to me. Lot of random cost-cutting (one reused old DS touchscreen, sticking with 0.3mp cameras, etc.) to keep it low enough to sell at a good starting price, IMO.

Re: graphical power, we have a whole thread discussing that, but at minimum it appears to support a full range of modern shaders and the MGS3 tech demo they're showing looks better than the original PS2 game.

yea, considering the DSi XL is $189, 3DS is definitely gonna be $199 or more :(

DigitalDevil said:
It's my fault for buying a SYSTEM from Nintendo and expecting them to support it?

somebody post a pic of the virtual boy

The SYSTEM has been out for 6 years and has plenty of games to buy for it. Not to mention the DSiWare shop is updated every week.

DataBot

So what do you think guys?
I know nintendo said its not the final design but they also said its not the final name...
So after seeing 100 girls with a 3DS :
Has mass production already started and could the rumoured october release be real?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Lespedeza said:
Exactly how I felt. After being bored to death with both Microsoft, and Sony I was already getting ready to hate on Nintendo, untill this......I don't say this often, but if they can get me Ridge Racer as a launch title I'll be there day 1.

Also Paper Mario!

That's a bit weird, since Nintendo's conference was before Sony's. Oh well!

Anyway, the 3DS sounds completely amazing. The graphics look as good as could be expected, and I'm sure they're more than adequate once you experience the 3D effect, which supposedly is extremely impressive. Can't wait to see this thing in action.

WTF at everyone guessing 200+.

GB launched at $89
GBC launched at $79
GBA launched at $99
GBA SP launched at $99

All launched at $99 or less.

The DS was going to launch at 99, but retailers demanded 150 for a larger margin.
The DSi launched at 169, pretty much a Nintendo test for how high can we go, since the technology did not warrant a higher price.

The most expensive handheld has been the DSi Xl, which is a special situation and should not be included (it would be like talking about the PSX or GC with DVD)

N64 launched at 199
GC launched at 199
Wii launched at 249

There is no way in hell the 3DS will be over 200.

Im guessing 169.

Rich!

You know what I want to "see" next from the 3DS?

A good example of it's audio capabilities. I'm guessing it'll be similar to the DS due to the cartridge format. Streaming audio would be nice, but the DS already supports that (it's used in Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, for example). It all depends on cartridge size.

DataBot

jamesinclair said:

GB launched at $89
GBC launched at $79
GBA launched at $99
GBA SP launched at $99

All launched at $99 or less.

The DS was going to launch at 99, but retailers demanded 150 for a larger margin.
The DSi launched at 169, pretty much a Nintendo test for how high can we go, since the technology did not warrant a higher price.

The most expensive handheld has been the DSi Xl, which is a special situation and should not be included (it would be like talking about the PSX or GC with DVD)

N64 launched at 199
GC launched at 199
Wii launched at 249

There is no way in hell the 3DS will be over 200.

Im guessing 169.
Good point but i still think it will cost 199 but i hope you are right ...
I also think a handheld device should never cost more than the home console.

I mentioned this in the old thread and it got lost in the swarm of excitement, but I wonder if this was what was talked about by Cameron of some other director a few years back when they said a gaming company already had 3d tech. I remember it was heavily speculated that this was going to be in the Revolution/Wii after that came out.

Rich!

Spielberg loves the 3DS, apparently:

116075161-2a7449c411a29d2e57830a0ab8c2c670.4c182918-full.jpg

Boom Blox 3DS, plz. Imagine all the blocks and pieces flying out at you!

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
edgefusion said:
Why is nobody bitching about the lack of a second analogue stick? It's all you guys can talk about with the PSP.
Yeah my first thought was "I want Monster Hunter!" then realised camera control would be a complete bitch just like on the PSP. Will someone please release a handheld with dual analog?!

That said, this thing looks fantastic. And the conference was really well paced.

Prez

jamesinclair said:

GB launched at $89
GBC launched at $79
GBA launched at $99
GBA SP launched at $99

GB was the most expensive handheld until the DSi actually. $89 in 1989 is $153 in 2009.

Also, N64 was the most expensive Nintendo console, since $199 in 1996 was $221 in 2001 and $260 in 2007.

Rich!

LiK said:
Kotaku: According to Nintendo, the product will go on sale between April 2010 and March 2011.

:(

Bit of a massive gap, as we've known for a while now.

I'm still hoping for an October/November release date. If they really want to impact on Natal and Move, it'll be October.

Vitet

julls said:
Yeah my first thought was "I want Monster Hunter!" then realised camera control would be a complete bitch just like on the PSP. Will someone please release a handheld with dual analog?!

That said, this thing looks fantastic. And the conference was really well paced.

I read that you can control the camera moving the 3DS around

Onemic

This is making me want a DS so bad, but I dunno whether to invest in a DSI or a DS lite. I'm tight on money otherwise I'd just pick up the DSi, but what stuff does the DSi have over the DS lite other than a brighter screen?

Stabbie said:
GB was the most expensive handheld until the DSi actually. $89 in 1989 is $153 in 2009.

Also, N64 was the most expensive Nintendo console, since $199 in 1996 was $221 in 2001 and $260 in 2007.

Well yeah, but Im just talking about the basic number, which is a big deal in marketing. You go for 99, not 114 for example. Even though 99 was much more 20 years ago, the same psychological barrier exists once you break a 100 amount, after all, the currency we use doesnt increase with inflation (we arent using $200 bills and $5 coins)

169 is doable. Once you get near 200.....thats a big deal. And Nintendo has proven that they understand handheld pricing. Like it or not, kids always have been and always will be the largest audience for handhelds.

julls said:

Unlike the PSP, the DS has a 2nd analog via the touch screen. See the original pack in, metroid prime hunters and the thumb nub.

richisawesome said:
You know what I want to "see" next from the 3DS?

A good example of it's audio capabilities. I'm guessing it'll be similar to the DS due to the cartridge format. Streaming audio would be nice, but the DS already supports that (it's used in Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, for example). It all depends on cartridge size.
Well at launch, card sizes max out at 2GB(bytes). So it will really be up to developers what size they want to use. 2GB being available at launch is a great thing, though.

just barely getting home from work and digesting all the shit that happened today, but was anything mentioned about having some expanded Virtual Console support, I.E. playing NES/Genesis/Turbo/SNES/maybe N64 games from your VC collection on your 3DS? If not any chance of that happening?

Burnst

LiK said:
Kotaku: According to Nintendo, the product will go on sale between April 2010 and March 2011.

If all these games are really 'examples', I guess that means early 2011. At least not before November. When was the last time they released a new product (not updated) outside the holiday season?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
L00P said:
I'd eat my hat if this thing costs below two hundred bones

is yout hat ready? it must be seasoned!

and GAF shall hold you too it. :D

It must be video taped and on youtube!

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
onemic said:
This is making me want a DS so bad, but I dunno whether to invest in a DSI or a DS lite. I'm tight on money otherwise I'd just pick up the DSi, but what stuff does the DSi have over the DS lite other than a brighter screen?

just wait for the 3ds :lol

Ninja Scooter said:
just barely getting home from work and digesting all the shit that happened today, but was anything mentioned about having some expanded Virtual Console support, I.E. playing NES/Genesis/Turbo/SNES/maybe N64 games from your VC collection on your 3DS? If not any chance of that happening?

Nothing was announced, very disappointingly. However, the higher resolution of the 3DS compared to the DS means that at least it should be technically possible to display retro console games without cropping or squeezing them.

LiK

richisawesome said:
Bit of a massive gap, as we've known for a while now.

I'm still hoping for an October/November release date. If they really want to impact on Natal and Move, it'll be October.

yea, no kidding. that release window is a joke. a full year. if any release dates are announced, i assume Japan gets it first. i doubt there will be any worldwide simul release dates judging from past DS and DSi releases.

Empty

LiK said:

reading this i was suddenly very disappointed

then i remembered it's 2010 at the moment, not 2009.

Calcaneus

onemic said:
If you really want a DS, get a lite. The improvements on the DSi aren't worth it and there probably aren't gonna be many substantial DSi only games.

I got a DSi and I haven't used its extra features since a week after I got it.

Fantastical said:
So what are the chances this won't need friend codes?

Iwata: (laughs)

looking at the lack of casual games

and the abundance of "hardcore" games

expect a much better online system

Calidor

Just came from work and red the whole thing. What else to say? fucking day 1

and everyone stop saying that it's okay to pay 200$+ or they will actually price it at that!

I'll get one @ 200$ :D

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Starchasing said:
looking at the lack of casual games

and the abundance of "hardcore" games

expect a much better online system
I REALLY, REALLY hope so. I'm really interested in the system's online features and stuff like firmware updates and what the 'home' menus looks like and does. I hope Nintendo steps it up, like we got a taste of it with the DSi, and I hope they hammer in some good features in the 3DS. Ways to connect to friends easier and... achievements. :p Although that will never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom