• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Revealed [N-CONF] - Releasing in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

dankir

WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT!!

OMG Show Super Street Fighter IV 3D in motion PLEASE?!@?!?@! I NEED TO KNOW IF IT'S FULL ROSTER FULL GAMEPLAY not that watered down shit on the iPhone.

Cygnus X-1

website

Some extracts

The company didn’t talk about how its stunning technology works during Tuesday’s brief demo for members of the press. But work it does: Without using special glasses, you can see a deep, rich 3-D display on the top screen of the new Nintendo 3DS portable. The short, interactive demos Nintendo showed after its conference Monday morning included peeks at new Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil games.

A slider on the right-hand side of the screen lets you adjust how “deep” the 3-D effect looks. You can take it all the way down to zero and see the games in 2-D, or you can crank it up. I found about 80 percent intensity was just right for my eyes. When I had the 3-D effect all the way up, I couldn’t quite focus on the scene in front of me. It’ll likely be different depending on the individual player.

Konami is producing a version of its hit PlayStation 3 game Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater for the Nintendo 3DS. The demo showed a first-person sequence in which all sorts of crazy things happened to hero Solid Snake, all playing with the 3-D effect: Knives flew at the camera, and a massive alligator snapped its long jaws.

In the second half of the demo, Snake walked across a bridge and avoided enemies in his usual style. While we couldn’t control him, we could use the analog stick on the 3DS to adjust the camera and see the 3-D scene from many different angles.

That analog stick on the side of the unit, by the way, is pretty fantastic. In sharp contrast to the Sony PSP’s tiny analog nub, it’s a wide, convex pad that lets your thumb sit comfortably inside as you control the game. A standard digital control pad sits below it.

Capcom’s Resident Evil demo was a bit less involved. It was just a brief cinematic scene showing a few characters talking about something. (Probably zombies: I was too busy checking out the 3-D effects to pay attention to what they were saying.)

The graphics, which are much more advanced than you’d expect from Nintendo, left me pretty much in disbelief. They’re on a level with Sony’s PSP, probably even a little better than that. But the eye-popping 3-D effect makes everything that much richer.

The other demo Nintendo showed wasn’t a game at all. It was a collection of 3-D scenes from various Nintendo games. Each tableau, like a shoebox diorama, was animated, and we could move the camera around to better see how the 3-D effect made the characters pop. Familiar faces from Mario, Zelda and Pikmin danced and played onscreen while we tilted the camera around.

You can only see the 3-D effect if you’re looking at the 3DS screen straight on, although there’s a good amount of fudge factor there — you can move the unit around quite a bit and still get the effect. It’s not as if you have to hold your hands in the exact perfect place. If you tilt the unit away from your face so it’s almost at a 180-degree angle, you can still see the 3-D effect. If you tilt it left and right, you’ll lose the effect and the picture will go smudgy, like what happens when you remove your glasses during a 3-D movie.

Nintendo will surely have actual games on the show floor when the E3 Expo opens later Tuesday. But this quick look made it easy to understand that the new 3DS really does do full-on 3-D without glasses.

Read More http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/06/nintendo-3ds-3/#ixzz0qy8VdRMF

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think you guys that think this will be less than $200 are out of your mind.

My guess is that this hits for $249. I'll buy 2.

This thing is going to see another Wii-like shortage. If it comes out this holiday these things will be selling for $700 a pop.

Bizzyb

Banned
Can anyone confirm what Iwata was saying when he said the 3DS could connect wireless-ly anywhere without the need for an internet connection??

Was he basically saying that the 3DS would have it's own 3G-like connection service??

Kaeru

Banned
Plinko said:

This thing is going to see another Wii-like shortage. If it comes out this holiday these things will be selling for $700 a pop.

What did DS launch at?

linsivvi

Plinko said:

You think Nintendo will sell a handheld at a more expensive price than their current console? Graphics chip suitable for portable device have gotten much cheaper over the past 6 years. The only thing that's expensive in the 3DS is the 3D screen itself.

Great stuff Nintendo. The only negative comment I have to make is: Why show all those colors when we know you're not going to release them? Damn you Nintendo. :lol

LCfiner

Plinko said:

I see where you’re coming from. if the demand is high enough then they’re throwing money away selling for too little. but, that said, I still think 200 is a price ceiling for a handheld gaming system.

$199. that’s my prediction.

(but, like you, I’ll still get it at $250. but I’m not a typical consumer)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
brandonh83 said:
Better graphics than PSP? This thing will cost so much money. :lol
No matter what the pricepoint, it'll still make them a ton of money.

2vbs9wz.gif

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I think it would be neat if they combined the two camera "eyes" on the outside with the eventual logo to make a sort of face. :)

Dedication Through Light said:
PSP level graphics, what happened to Wii level :(
really? I think it looks better than PSP graphics. MGS3DS look it has real time cutscenes and better facial animation. also it has been confirmed that it's MGS3 in 3D. so it's gonna be as awesome as the PS2 version. *hopes*

DataBot

Kayhan said:
But I want to give Nintendo $250 for this bold new machine of the future.

Than send the difference to nintendo in an envelope.

With a letter:
"I wanted to pay more so heres your money!"

Massa

Freakin amazing. A Nintendo console with 3rd parties actually making "core" games or whatever you want to call them? Day one.

Only con is that it's ugly. I wasn't expect Apple-like design, but this thing looks uglier than the DS Lite. ffs Nintendo.

Take my money Nintendo! its like hooking up with an old girlfriend.. we were always so good together.. what happened?

p.s. are there any videos of this thing in action?

JetBlackPanda said:
Take my money Nintendo! its like hooking up with an old girlfriend.. we were always so good together.. what happened?

p.s. are there any videos of this thing in action?

you can't get the 3D effect so I'd imagine Nintendo isn't releasing any videos, so as not to confuse people that will inevitably say "But I can't see the 3D!!!"

Also, $199 is my prediction

Jenga

Banned
once again, nintendo is not dumb

they will not charge more for a handheld than their own current console

remember, their core audience is still casual

the image of a little kid going up to his middleclass soccer mom and asking for a brand new 3DS but instead getting "but we can buy one of those wiis you always wanted for the same price" is nightmare fuel for 3DS selling reggie

unless they have complete faith in their advertising campaign anyways

Why For?

Banned
So fucking glad I skipped the DSi and the DSiXL.

This will be fucking MINE.

And it has Icarus so I'm contractually bound to purchase one.

$200 seems about right. Cannot wait to see all these announced 3rd party games in action. Super SFIV could be amazing in 3D and on the go. Wow. So many first and third party games I want right now! So surprised Nintendo didn't just show Star Fox 3DS and Pilotwings 3DS. That would have gotten a great response. I know I'm personally looking forward to those two the most.

I don't play any of my DSes (have 3) at all anymore, and haven't for a while.

I'm back. Day 1, I will sleep outside if I have to. 3D, analog stick, more power, great lineup of games so far.

The black/red is hawt. The black/turquoise is hideous.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Solo said:
This thing wont hit for less than $250. Im already heading to the bank to make the withdrawel.

Nice to see somebody else who agrees. I think people are going to be sorely disappointed by having their expectations on a much lower price.

Bizzyb said:
Can anyone confirm what Iwata was saying when he said the 3DS could connect wireless-ly anywhere without the need for an internet connection??

Was he basically saying that the 3DS would have it's own 3G-like connection service??

I took it to mean you can download things off the internet for free, IE not like Xbox Live. As far as the sharing goes, it seems like you can share Pokemon or Animal Crossing who knows what without the actual cartridge having to be in their. The system will do it on it's own.

Rich!

king zell said:

Same as a DS cart then, but with a little extra bit to stop it being put into a DS/DS Lite.

Nice. Same as when the Game Boy Colour ONLY games came out without the little gap on the top corner.

Solid warrior said:
really? I think it looks better than PSP graphics. MGS3DS look it has real time cutscenes and better facial animation. also it has been confirmed that it's MGS3 in 3D. so it's gonna be as awesome as the PS2 version. *hopes*

It looks on par with ps2 from the screens I saw.

I am gonna split the difference and say 229.99 for it

Varion

perfectchaos007 said:
looks like a DS case and DS game cartridge.

I guess so the DS games can play in the same slot as the 3DS games
At least this means they can't make a 3DSi that removes the DS card slot now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom