• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Revealed [N-CONF] - Releasing in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
wwm0nkey said:
Well the first day of E3 has come to a close and even though Ive played A LOT of new things, I just wanted to give my hands on impressions of the 3DS.

3D: 3D effect is really good and the adjustment knob really helps too. The ability to turn it on and off at will really impressed me. Also for those with glasses you WILL be able to experience the 3D as well. Also since this doesnt use glasses it is also less strainfull on the eyes and if it does strain you, just turn it off. Some games really look amazing with 3D on, like Kingdom Hearts 3D.

Graphics: Here is one thing that really blew me away, at first I was like ok, it has the abilities off a Wii which is still impressive, then I saw Metal Gear and Resident Evil. Metal Gear 3 has been enhanced from its PS2 version while not a lot, there are some noticeable differences. Then there is Resident Evil which really blew me away, it looked like a straight up 360/PS3 quality game, I kid you not it was AMAZING! Not going to spoil too much if you dont already know, but Chris and Jill are back! Kingdom Hearts looked just like the PS2 version as takes place between Birth By Sleep and the first game. Star Fox 64 was amazing to play and the new upgraded visuals where welcome as well.

Controls: Well there isnt too much to say here besides the fact that the Analog officially made this device amazing in every aspect, also thanks to the tilt sensor and gyro sensor, more control options are now open.

Verdict: Great device and a lot of great titles already lined up for it make this Nintendo's best handheld system yet! Day one buy!

Do you think the other games made you feel like you had to throw up too?

For some reason every time I see something similar to this 3D thing I feel like I have to throw up to, I just hope not all games are like that hope you can give some insight into this issue.

wwm0nkey said:
From what I was told by a Capcom representative is that it was a in game cut scene. Also due to the fact you had the ability to control the camera angles during the cutscene kind of makes me believe this lol

someone, PLEASE POST VIDEO OF THE RE DEMO SHOWING THE CONTROLLABLE CAMERA

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
iceatcs said:
Each eye have different angle view. Try look at your finger little closer and stay still, then close each once a time.
Ok, but what I'm trying to say is that part of 3D is that you can focus on the background or foreground... I'd think an advanced 3D display would work in this capacity.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So do you all still think we'll get it this year in the usual Nov time frame or does this scream say March of 2k11?

Brettison said:
So do you all still think we'll get it this year in the usual Nov time frame or does this scream say March of 2k11?
Well March 2011 is the current latest time for the launch window as stated by Nintendo. It's anyone's guess of when this would come out.

I wouldn't be shocked in giving the DS one last holiday season before they release the 3DS. If that is the case, a Jan-Mar date isn't out of the question.

wwm0nkey

Father_Brain said:
someone, PLEASE POST VIDEO OF THE RE DEMO SHOWING THE CONTROLLABLE CAMERA
I might be able too tomorrow but it WILL come out blurry since my moom droped my camera and its fucked up now :lol

AniHawk

Linkzg said:
sounds good. It looks nice in pictures.

how do 2D games translate to 3D? do they just separate the background from the characters?
Yeah pretty much. Yoshi's Island had more to it, and honestly, it was the hardest one to decipher.

antispin

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I'm kinda spoiled by the DSIXL's big screen. I'm a bit disappointed that the 3ds screen is smaller than that but I'm hoping the next iteration of the 3DS enlarges the screen a bit. I may wait but the allure of some JRPG and SRPG games may be too much for me.

I am in the same boat. On the one hand, I want to wait for a revision that brings the screens on par with the XL's, on the other hand, THE GAMES SIR, THEY CALL TO ME.

thefil

So I've been thinking about why I'm so excited about the 3DS, and I've come to a few conclusions. First of all, I like that this console not only introduces new features, but justifies them on every level. As I get older, I find myself spending more and more time using my portables in the apartment. As such, the need for such a console starts to wane. What the 3DS offers is a compelling reason [in addition to portability] for owning another device in the 3D. And while Sony, Microsoft and third parties have everything to prove when they talk about 3D displays, Nintendo has circumvented this by offering a glasses-free solution that comes at a [presumably] consumer-friendly pricepoint.

More and more I'm thinking that the PSP came ahead of it's time. When the PSP launched, Sony tried to immediately hit the "super generation" of their portable by delivering high capacity and compelling graphics. Unfortunately due to timing and lack of experience this resulted in the well-known weakness of the platform (analog nub comfort and singularity, load times, battery life). In addition, the PSP launched at a time when development was comparable to that of the current consoles, making the argument for producing for the portable a weak one. The content pipeline wasn't there to make it affordable. By the time these problems were rectified (installing to memory stick, digital downloads, PSP revisions, game developers improving) the PSP had already sort of phased out (in North America). Over the last few months we've seen a few games that show off what the PSP promised six years ago; the 3DS is timed to deliver all of this on day one.

I was extremely excited when the PSP was announced because I wanted console experiences on the go. Now I'm excited for the 3DS because it can offer console-quality content packaged in a way that enhances gameplay. Nintendo's timing with this update is impeccable and as sad as I am to see it go, I can't help but feel the PSP is done the day Monster Hunter Portable 3rd is released for the 3DS.

jett

D-Member
Mr. Snrub said:
So, I don't really have any idea how this 3D tech works. But could something like this be implemented on a regular tv screen? Does anyone have any info on how it works? The few hands-on impressions I read are just HOLY SHIT ITS AWESOME but nothing about how it works. Closest I have is IGN's:

There are already autosterescopic TVs prototypes out there (3DTVs that don't need glasses). There are several problems with them for now:

Limited size
They are not HD, resolution is closer to SD in fact.
Extremely limited viewing angles.
Ridiculous production cost

Auto-3DTVs are probably a decade away from the mass market, 5 years at least. Technology isn't there. For a small, handheld device like the 3DS obviously all of those negatives are moot.

careksims

Damn! 3DS and it's games are like the 2nd Coming of Christ in portable form. It's just *bows* Too good to be true. All the possibilities.

I been thinking about this damn system all day. Argh!

I can't imagine the import pricing on this thing.

tengiants

anyone have any good speculation as to how it works yet? maybe the camera tracks the position of your eyes for your point of view and the distance between your eyes for depth? is the front camera even tracking your head?

I feel like the 3D implementation of the 3DS is going to spoil my home console experience with all the positive impressions I'm reading.

jett said:
There are already autosterescopic TVs prototypes out there (3DTVs that don't need glasses). There are several problems with them for now:

Limited size

Auto-3DTVs are probably a decade away from the mass market, 5 years at least. Technology isn't there. For a small, handheld device like the 3DS obviously all of those negatives are moot.

Thanks! :D

FStop7

Banned
Holy god. I just got done watching this morning's Nintendo conference. They really nailed it. I really can't wait to see a 3DS for myself.

Salsa

I really hope we still get some games that you can see on both screens at the same time (like contra 4 etc) even though the screens dont match up...

wwm0nkey said:
I might be able too tomorrow but it WILL come out blurry since my moom droped my camera and its fucked up now :lol
If it's like the 2006 E3, good luck. In 2006 with the Wii, which had the exact same kind of line, day 2's line got maxxed out within 5 minutes of E3 opening - meaning the people at the end of the line were estimated to get into the Wii area 15 minutes before e3 closed.

mclem said:
I'm not sure it is; wasn't the DS touchscreen 256x192 or something like that? The tech specs on Nintendo's site peg the touchscreen at 320x240. So that's a bit of a boost, too.

Oh shittles! Would you look at that. :lol

Dizzy-4U said:
Wait, so the 3D effect is like the image is coming off the screen (like in the movies)? I thought that the 3D effect was about the illusion that the screen has depth and you look into the screen.

3D effects are just generated by showing the eyes two different images, with depth based on how far apart things are in the two images. Any technology that can do 3D display can create both outer and inner depth.

goldenticket said:
do we have any info on the etrain odyssey 3ds game thats on the upcoming games list? is it a remake or new?

All of Atlus' "announced" "games" are really more them just saying that they support the 3DS and will continue their existing franchises onto it. It's not like there's necessarily a real "Etrian Odyssey for 3DS" in development yet.

Mr. Snrub said:
But could something like this be implemented on a regular tv screen?

The problem with using this technology on a regular screen is that it has a very narrow viewing window -- fine for a handheld where you're the only one looking at it, not so ideal for a TV multiple people need to look at at once.

I get my new systems the old fashioned way. By waiting outside Wal-Mart till Midnight. That's how I got my Gamecube, GBA, and Wii. I love how they still don't do pre-orders. Their employees would freak out if they had to deal with pre-orders.

I found one thing odd. I watched one movie trailer on the device, How to Train your Dragon,since I had seen the movie in the theater in 3D. But on the 3DS, the 3D was worse. In that trailer, there were many points where it looked like multiple 2D objects in a 3D space. None of the other demos I tried were like that, but it was just strange that the movie would have worse 3D.

AniHawk

i was also totally not taking a video of resident evil when the nice lady there told me to turn off my camera i had forgot i had left on because i was taking pictures of the line and the stuff in the cases you see.

you can't make out enough of it anyway.

FoneBone

jett said:

Limited size

Also notable is that the viewing angle problem poses major issues for more than one person watching at any given time.

Yoboman

jett said:

Limited size

Decade? Not at all, glasses-free will likely be the standard in two years

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So is the "Slide Pad" a regular analog thing like the PSP, or is it a stationary piece that senses thumb movement over it? I'm confused because they don't call it an analog stick.

FoneBone

Oh, and I REALLY hope we get decent-quality videos of the demos sooner rather than later

Yoboman said:
:lol :lol :lol

Yoboman said:

No, a decade at least. The technology is no where near ready, heck its debatable whether or not there's a single viable glasses free technology in the pipe atm.

FoneBone said:
Also notable is that the viewing angle problem poses major issues for more than one person watching at any given time.
Microsoft R&D has a device that can do it, by using cameras to track viewer positions, and prisms to aim the different pictures at each person's eyes.

Branduil

DrForester said:
So is the "Slide Pad" a regular analog thing like the PSP, or is it a stationary piece that senses thumb movement over it? I'm confused because they don't call it an analog stick.
It's like the PSP thing except it doesn't suck.

goomba

Banned
I just realised the reason the top screen doesnt fill the whole top half of the system.

The slider, buttons, dpad would press up against it and if not, the thing would be too fat.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
So 3D is good?

Jeff from giant bomb saying you have to hold it close and only at a certain angle. Needs adjustment.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
PistolGrip said:
So 3D is good?

Jeff from giant bomb saying you have to hold it close and only at a certain angle. Needs adjustment.
I could be wrong, but I think that's just a limitation of the technology. Isn't it the same way with watching a 3D movie on a TV? You kind of have to adjust your head in some ways.

And yes, 3D without glasses and affordable is good.

Varion

PistolGrip said:
So 3D is good?

3D is good at the right angle is what everyone seems to be saying. Some reviewers don't focus on the angle bit, but it does seem to be an issue.

RobotsAnger said:
Just a quick question in case I missed it, did they announce the release date for the 3ds?
Nope. No release date or price. IIRC one of the PR people from Nintendo said it'd most likely be next year, but they didn't know for sure. So we'll just have to wait and see.

Mindlog

These things are never going to be available in stores. They'll be sold straight off the trucks.

I haven't had a portable gaming platform in a very long time, but this is just too shiny to pass up. Can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom