• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Revealed [N-CONF] - Releasing in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if its released this year, it will be incredibly supply constrained. Going with an after Christmas release gives them a chance to build up supply so they could get a massive launch.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Hopefully my Nintendo stock will make up the 20% bath I've taken over the last month now :lol

FWIW, this thing looks slick. I don't travel for work right now.. but if I get that new job in Mpls I will and this will be my congrats gift to myself :D

neptunes

Jamesfrom818 said:
I think if its released this year, it will be incredibly supply constrained. Going with an after Christmas release gives them a chance to build up supply so they could get a massive launch.
Like we've learned from the Wii, supply constraints do make for good publicity

Like most have already said...this is gonna be a mega phenomenon. It’s gonna sell like crazy.

I think it was wise for Sony not to reveal the PSP 2, I mean really why bother at this point? :lol

Wallach

Tricky I Shadow said:
Like most have already said...this is gonna be a mega phenomenon. It’s gonna sell like crazy.

I think it was wise for Sony not to reveal the PSP 2, I mean really why bother at this point? :lol

It almost feels like third-party support is getting the same vibe. They had a hell of a lot of big names to show for a device that is a ways from even hitting retail.

Mrbob

I know it is PORT3DS right now with a lot of titles, but the potential of this device is amazing. Most impressive piece of hardware at E3 by far. Can't wait to get one. Nice finally seeing innovation and decent graphics. I'll take that combo. First system I'm preordering since the Dreamcast.

PistolGrip said:
So 3D is good?

Jeff from giant bomb saying you have to hold it close and only at a certain angle. Needs adjustment.
He must be on crack. Somewhat narrow viewing angle (horizontally), sure. But you have to hold it close? The effect doesn't work very good if you hold it close. I held it various distances around 8 inches to a little more than a foot (my natural position, I wasn't testing it's range) with no problems. I moved it real close to my face to entice the Nintendog to lick it, and that's when I had problems.

Shiggie

Morgan Webb said:
: "...I always feel a little bit dissapointed when I'm playing these mature titles on Nintendo platforms I feel like I could just get so much more if I was playing it on a different system."
~ when asked about her opinion regarding the possible mature titles currently being used as tech demos by 3rd-Party developers on the new Nintendo 3DS.
Im starting to see a pattern here Morgan.

loosus

Banned
This thing better fucking have a proper New Super Mario Bros. on it. It's fucking perfect for it. Fuck the 3D bullshit. It's everything else that makes this thing interesting!

Peterthumpa

Did anyone though about the possibilities now concerning first person shooters?

I mean, yes, there's only one analog but the touchscreen could be used as the right analog + a virtual button + the upper L/R buttons.

Hell, if we played Metroid on the DS this is definitely possible.

Medalion

Banned
Nothing to get here. Morgan obviously thinks Nintendo is teh kiddeh, and always will be, and not ahead of the technological game like Microsoft or Sony is. Some people will never change their minds about this... oh no, it's a shame a semi-attractive woman with a video game show has teh bias against anything Nintendo. Welcome to the geeky opinionated world of video games.

neptunes

felipepl said:
Did anyone though about the possibilities now concerning first person shooters?

I mean, yes, there's only one analog but the touchscreen could be used as the right analog + a virtual button + the upper L/R buttons.

Hell, if we played Metroid on the DS this is definitely possible.
or you could use the motion sensor

loosus

Banned
The Metal Gear Solid demo actually temporarily fooled my eyes into thinking I was looking at a modern, current-generation game.

No, it didn't last long, but the fact that it was able to do that for any amount of time is certainly something considering that I thought the original DS had pre-1995 graphics since its inception.

If nothing else, the 3DS not only processes plenty of polygons, but they are solid, not the shimmery, mentally ill polygons that dominated the original DS.

33cbx4k.jpg

I need this really bad...

DonMigs85

loosus said:
The Metal Gear Solid demo actually temporarily fooled my eyes into thinking I was looking at a modern, current-generation game.

No, it didn't last long, but the fact that it was able to do that for any amount of time is certainly something considering that I thought the original DS had pre-1995 graphics since its inception.

If nothing else, the 3DS not only processes plenty of polygons, but they are solid, not the shimmery, mentally ill polygons that dominated the original DS.
Aww they weren't that bad. PS1's polygons were far more warpy.

Branduil

Aesthetically, the system still needs some work. I'm sure they'll do something about it, remember the original DS phat design which looked even worse than the final one?

Branduil said:
Aesthetically, the system still needs some work. I'm sure they'll do something about it, remember the original DS phat design which looked even worse than the final one?
That was terrible yes, but the impression at the time was that Nintendo changed it up at the last minute because they were taken aback by how sleek the PSP looked. These are miles better than that, perfectly marketable. They'll probably leave it as it is so that there's room for improvement when we get the 3DS Lite or whatever they call it.

loosus

Banned
The physical design of the system is what I have the most problem with. I can't even pinpoint it, but I feel like they've devolved back into the original GBA days of design with this -- which, frankly, is just not appealing to me.

Dreamwriter said:
He must be on crack. Somewhat narrow viewing angle (horizontally), sure. But you have to hold it close? The effect doesn't work very good if you hold it close. I held it various distances around 8 inches to a little more than a foot (my natural position, I wasn't testing it's range) with no problems. I moved it real close to my face to entice the Nintendog to lick it, and that's when I had problems.
Brad and Ryan were talking about how amazing it was and seemed somewhat nonplussed when Jeff kept saying how specific it needed to be and how easy it messed up and how he couldn't see it except he held it at this uncomfortable angle.

Branduil

I don't think there's any one major thing wrong with it, it just looks a little sloppy and unrefined. The lines don't flow together quite like they should.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I wonder how TPS games will work on this. Take Metal Gear. How will you rotate the camera? Do you drag your finger along the touch screen? Would you use the shoulder buttons?

Y2Kev said:
I wonder how TPS games will work on this. Take Metal Gear. How will you rotate the camera? Do you drag your finger along the touch screen? Would you use the shoulder buttons?

Those two, plus If you want, you could also use the motion controls to tilt the camera.

Forgive me if this has been asked already, but has rumble been mentioned? I'd be shocked in Nintendo didn't include it. They had patents describing a pretty cool implementation.

Any chance it's still being decided on? Would it mess up the 3D?

DonMigs85

The hinge corners do have a weird angular design, but other than that I'm not sure how they can streamline this further. Maybe just an XL version eventually?

AniHawk

Y2Kev said:

how do they do it on psp?

Y2Kev

AniHawk said:
poorly

MrBob: I think MG is a real time cutscene that you can control the camera (but not move?).

The best PSP way I've seen done is the Turok style, but honestly I'd hope we'd move beyond that...PSP is obviously gimpo'd and I'm curious to know if you could use the touch screen to control camera. I didn't consider motion sensing stuff. That could work well maybe.

I don't know if there are any TPS games on DS to test it out with. I really don't want to go into another gen of handhelds (6+ years) without proper camera controls for 3d games, nevermind 3d 3d games.

AniHawk said:

many solutions that are all bad, but most revolve around the face buttons for movement or camera control.

also see: Dreamcast, N64.

I don't think the 3DS will have this problem at all. I quite like aiming with the touch pad on the DS and ipod touch. If it work similarly, it won't be a problem. There is the motion stuff too, so that can work in some way.

somesang

I haven't been this excited about a handheld since the PSP broke my heart. Day 1, bitches. If anything, to catch up on the DS backlog.

Y2Kev

Linkzg said:
many solutions that are all bad, but most revolve around the face buttons for movement or camera control.

also see: Dreamcast, N64.

I don't think the 3DS will have this problem at all. I quite like aiming with the touch pad on the DS and ipod touch. If it work similarly, it won't be a problem. There is the motion stuff too, so that can work in some way.
Yeah, I suspect aiming will not be a problem. I'm considering a 3D Platformer or a game where you don't aim constantly or have a reticle on screen (say, an Uncharted type or Metal Gear). I imagine the camera would be controllable with the touch screen. My area of concern was that you are rotating the camera around a point further into the horizon (the third person model) vs. your first person perspective.

I've just never actually played a 3D third person game on DS so I have never been able to test it.

bridegur

If Nintendo is going through its past titles to look for remake possibilities, they had better at least consider one of the Wave Race games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom