• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Revealed [N-CONF] - Releasing in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miyamoto said at the round table that it was just a tech demo, and not in full development (yet), as I quoted from the live-blog above. He didn't announce it. I still say Miyamoto trumps Nintendo of America's twitterer PR guy.

Dreamwriter said:
Miyamoto said at the round table that it was just a tech demo, and not in full development, as I quoted from the live-blog above. He didn't announce it. I still say Miyamoto trumps Nintendo's twitterer PR guy.
No, see

Kotaku misreported it.

I know you are going to go to your grave believing this, but I am telling you that it is not a massive conspiracy from everybody else to trick you. This is not a nightmare. They are making OoT for the 3DS.

antispin

Y2Kev said:
poorly

MrBob: I think MG is a real time cutscene that you can control the camera (but not move?).

The best PSP way I've seen done is the Turok style, but honestly I'd hope we'd move beyond that...PSP is obviously gimpo'd and I'm curious to know if you could use the touch screen to control camera. I didn't consider motion sensing stuff. That could work well maybe.

I don't know if there are any TPS games on DS to test it out with. I really don't want to go into another gen of handhelds (6+ years) without proper camera controls for 3d games, nevermind 3d 3d games.

Analog pad for movement, left trigger for for fire, right hand on the touch screen for camera control? Hmm, left for movement + fire sounds cumbersome.

Dreamwriter said:
Miyamoto said at the round table that it was just a tech demo, and not in full development (yet), as I quoted from the live-blog above. He didn't announce it. I still say Miyamoto trumps Nintendo of America's twitterer PR guy.
so why is nintendo of america putting prepared screenshots on their website to show off as though it's a commercial product, and literally every other journalist at the event (including the one you're quoting) saying that it's a real game

Gravijah

Boney said:
those are tears of joy

Really fond memories of playing Animal Crossing DS with my family, heck, I was hyped for Animal Crossing GC when I saw a preview of it in Nintendo Power many years back. Sure, the series is filled with the same thing, but I really love it.

Boney

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
Dude.. this is a good thing! Stop fighting it and just go with the flow bro

Theres still so much I want to know about 3DS (OTHER then the price and release date . . .)

Like, how exactly does tag mode work/ what does it do. (Anyone have a example?)

And . . . what the official color? I have seen Black/ Blue/ Red/ Orange and some green-blue . . . I have no clue with is the official color cause I don't think Nintendo would release all of them at once (Black Wii says hey :/).

ShockingAlberto said:
No, see

Kotaku misreported it.
How do you know the site you're reading (Gamespot?) didn't misinterpret it? Kotaku went into detail about each thing said, what you quoted above interpreted each statement to make it shorter and more understandable (for example, I doubt the average gamer knows what is meant by being in a stage of scope and design, so they didn't even mention that)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
Really fond memories of playing Animal Crossing DS with my family, heck, I was hyped for Animal Crossing GC when I saw a preview of it in Nintendo Power many years back. Sure, the series is filled with the same thing, but I really love it.

You and me both dude! I was so hyped for the GC version one Christmas, but I kinda didn't know why. Was just hyped. :D

Hope it's as good as the GC version.

"HEY NINTENDO SHOULD WE PUT UP PICTURES OF THIS TECH DEMO AND SAY IT'S A REAL GAME"

http://e3.nintendo.com/updates/ (second update as of now)
http://e3.nintendo.com/3ds/ ("Nintendo Titles," top entry)

"SURE OKAY"

yeah i'm sure this stuff doesn't get cleared or anything
Dreamwriter said:
How do you know the site you're reading (Gamespot?) didn't misinterpret it? Kotaku went into detail about each thing said, what you quoted above interpreted each statement to make it shorter and more understandable (for example, I doubt the average gamer knows what is meant by being in a stage of scope and design, so they didn't even mention that)

GameSpot, IGN, Game Informer, Giant Bomb, Kotaku the guys you are quoting and Nintendo themselves are saying this. Are they ALL misinterpreting it, and Kotaku just accidentally wrote the real HIDDEN KNOWLEDGE before changing their mind?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Black-Wind said:
Theres still so much I want to know about 3DS (OTHER then the price and release date . . .)

And . . . what the official color? I have seen Black/ Blue/ Red/ Orange and some green-blue . . . I have no clue with is the official color cause I don't think Nintendo would release all of them at once (Black Wii says hey :/).

Yes they still have some questions to answer - what about 3dsware ? demos ? online system ? mii integration ? will there be a virtual console ? etc.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EmCeeGramr said:
"HEY NINTENDO SHOULD WE PUT UP PICTURES OF THIS TECH DEMO AND SAY IT'S A REAL GAME"

http://e3.nintendo.com/updates/ (second update as of now)
http://e3.nintendo.com/3ds/ ("Nintendo Titles," top entry)

"SURE OKAY"

yeah i'm sure this stuff doesn't get cleared or anything

GameSpot, IGN, Game Informer, Giant Bomb, Kotaku the guys you are quoting and Nintendo themselves are saying this. Are they ALL misinterpreting it, and Kotaku just accidentally wrote the real HIDDEN KNOWLEDGE before changing their mind?

To be fair, there were quite a lot of tech demos at the DS's unveiling.

Boney

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
Because if you go here and click on Nintendo games. Zelda is there. Plus, NOA Twitter confirmed it and gamespot did as well.

Edti: Beaten

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Dreamwriter said:

Not Alberto, but for starters, Its Kotaku. Theres a reason their reputation is less than favorable around here. Two, because every other reporter (not just gamespot's) was confirming it as well.

GCX

Dreamwriter said:
See, every other site says it's a real game. Including Nintendo.

It's on Nintendo's official site listed as a retail product.

And Miyamoto and Aonuma like to fix the water temple just for fun for a tech demo because they have nothing better to do, right?

Andrex said:
To be fair, there were quite a lot of tech demos at the DS's unveiling.
Yeah, but I think those were labeled as demonstrations and stuff, and what was a tech demo and what as a real game was rather obvious.

There are demos on the show floor right now that clearly aren't real games, like one that shows NES and SNES games in 3D, and one that shows various Nintendo game models, and one called 3D Hopper with a cat on a pogo stick, and a camera-based tech demo called Face Ace, but those oddly aren't up on Nintendo's E3 site and press site as if they were games.

Black-Wind said:

Are you talking about the sleep/network mode thing?

Okay, so say you've got your new 3DS and a couple of games: Mario Kart 3DS and Animal Crossing. You're heading down to the mall or something and you decide to bring your 3DS with Mario Kart 3DS in the slot.

You put your 3DS in sleep/tag mode and you're walking around the mall with your 3DS in your pocket. Somebody else is walking around doing the same thing... their library consists of Animal Crossing and, say, Star Fox 3DS. Today they've got Star Fox 3DS in the slot.

You pass by each other. Because you both have played Animal Crossing on your 3DS, you have stored on the 3DS some information relevant to that game as well as some space to download something from another user. So even though it's not in the slot (or even actively powered "ON"), you still end up trading something... like say somebody moves out of your village, or your tshirt patterns end up in their store. Meanwhile a letter in a bottle that they wrote gets sent to your 3DS as well as a constellation. The next time you play Animal Crossing, you find this content in your game.

I think the only thing that is in kind of a gray area here is Starfox as a Starfox 64 remake.

Everything else has been confirmed as retail products in progress.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
GCX said:
See, every other site says it's a real game. Including Nintendo.

It's on Nintendo's official site listed as a retail product.

And Miyamoto and Aonuma like to fix the water temple just for fun for a tech demo because they have nothing better to do, right?

I find it more absurd they'd fix a dungeon that isn't actually in the demo. :lol Unless there's a warp on the field that takes you to the Water Temple.

Andrex said:
I find it more absurd they'd fix a dungeon that isn't actually in the demo. :lol Unless there's a warp on the field that takes you to the Water Temple.
Nobody ever mentioned fixing the water temple. Aunoma said the temple would be easier with a touchscreen because it would be easier to equip the boots. That was the annoying thing about that dungeon, you had to go to the pause menu, move a couple menus to the right, then move the cursor onto the right thing and equip it. Then unpause it, take a few steps with those boots, and go back through the same motions to take them off. You had to do that s whole bunchmof times in that dungeon.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Just placed my preorder for one. Price was set at AU$349.99 (Subject to change) and I went with the Grey/Black (Subject to change)... :lol

Dang I hope that purple one make launch.

timetokill said:

Okay, so say you've got your new 3DS and a couple of games: Mario Kart 3DS and Animal Crossing. You're heading down to the mall or something and you decide to bring your 3DS with Mario Kart 3DS in the slot.

You put your 3DS in sleep/tag mode and you're walking around the mall with your 3DS in your pocket. Somebody else is walking around doing the same thing... their library consists of Animal Crossing and, say, Star Fox 3DS. Today they've got Star Fox 3DS in the slot.

You pass by each other. Because you both have played Animal Crossing on your 3DS, you have stored on the 3DS some information relevant to that game as well as some space to download something from another user. So even though it's not in the slot (or even actively powered "ON"), you still end up trading something... like say somebody moves out of your village, or your tshirt patterns end up in their store. Meanwhile a letter in a bottle that they wrote gets sent to your 3DS as well as a constellation. The next time you play Animal Crossing, you find this content in your game.

Hum, I think I get it now. But what about wifi? I thought that it would also tap into WiFi hot spots in sleep mode to get updates on games also.

Like with your example. I understood it as if the guy with StarFox passed a WiFi point his 3DS could search for updates online for the games he has saved on it and if it fond something for AC it would take it and that data could be shared with me too if I passed him by with my MK game.

Maybe I missed something. :/

Dreamwriter said:
Nobody ever mentioned fixing the water temple. Aunoma said the temple would be easier with a touchscreen because it would be easier to equip the boots. That was the annoying thing about that dungeon, you had to go to the pause menu, move a couple menus to the right, then move the cursor onto the right thing and equip it. Then unpause it, take a few steps with those boots, and go back through the same motions to take them off. You had to do that s whole bunchmof times in that dungeon.
No, we get it. But as tons of places reported, he said it would be easier in the 3DS version of Ocarina of Time.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
I wonder if the new analog stick will work for old DS games. Would love to go back and play Mario 64 DS with a proper control scheme.

timetokill said:

So basically, you put your 3DS into sleep mode, go to the mall, and then when you wake it up, you have a giant penis constellation in your town.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dupy said:
I wonder if the new analog stick will work for old DS games. Would love to go back and play Mario 64 DS with a proper control scheme.

I was thinking about that too. Would certainly be nice.

EmCeeGramr said:
No, we get it. But as tons of places reported, he said it would be easier in the 3DS version of Ocarina of Time.
Yeah - he was talking about how being on the 3ds would make it easier, since they had already been talking about the tech demo and how they were scoping it out as more than just a "port".

GCX

Dreamwriter said:
Yeah - he was talking about how being on the 3ds would make it easier, since they had already been talking about the tech demo and how they were scoping it out as more than just a "port".
But please tell me why it's listed as a retail game on Nintendo's site while the other tech demos aren't.

Dreamwriter said:
Why do you think Kotaku is 100% correct, even warping their other statements to fit your preconception, and that Nintendo and every other website (including Kotaku) is lying?

like, i don't get why you're doing this, why you're convinced that everyone on earth is wrong and that a kotaku liveblog post that could easily have been a slight misinterpretation or mishearing is 100% infallible

Lebron

Well done, Nintendo. You have me back on board the Nintendo Handheld train. I somewhat wanted a DS, but never got around to getting one. Also had friends with one so I oftentimes just mooched. Not this time, this will be mine, no doubt.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Oh hey is DrGAKMAN banned yet

If you're refering to why I've been silent it's 'cos I was called into work today afterall...though I didn't miss the Nintendo conference. =D

I never took a ban-bet for my slider vs clamshell argument as I said that clamshell is the BEST design *unless* Nintendo's aim is to make the top screen multi-touch/touch-only/touch-back. The didn't go for those features so they stuck with clamshell so I conceded right away (in this thread) that I was wrong...

Myself said:
While it says the design is NOT final, I think the units pictured are going to be pretty close to the actual launch systems look. So going by that I will give my impressions.

What I got wrong:
#1- I was wrong about the slide design, but mainly 'cos of #2
#2- I thought it would have a slide design 'cos they were going to make the top screen a "touch back" screen with the artificial muscle technology and/or multi-touch "touch-only" games (Iwata already stated that by making the 3D screen touch, you'd lose the 3D effect of having your stylus/thumb/finger in the way, so this is why Nintendo didn't add these features which I admitted they may not do and thusly go with the obvious clamshell design)...hopefully with these features not included, Nintendo is going for a cheaper pricepoint too
#3- the possition of the D-PAD/analog shortstick (I thought their possitions would've been revesed with the D-PAD in the "main" spot and the analog more in the "secondary" spot...this still may change though, in the final design?)

What I got right:
#1- 1 analog shortstick (at first I thoughts a nub, but I changed it to shortwtick, which impressions are suggesting this is better than a PSP nub)
#2- just a stock DS touchscreen for the bottom screen (after the FCC finling was posted I totally gave up on both screens being the same altogether and I never really believed in the "screens come together for one large image" rumor)
#3- holographic storage in 3DS cards and the slot being the same as the current DS's slot (I dunno how people doubted it after the patents I found, but meh, 3DS games will be up to 2GB at launch)
#4- a home button (this one is sorta obvious, I had more of a Wii +/-/home set-up, but still)
#5- 3D Camera (I believed this even before that "Chinese Blogger" rumor came around)
#6- tilt & gyro...obviously
#7- GCN/Wii-level visuals

Features of note & question:
#1- the hinges look STRONG
#2- on the right hinge there is a white light that is unlabelled (the green & blue lights in the lower right-hand corner are the power & WiFi lights of course, but what is with the white light?)
#3- also of note is the glow it seems to emit when it was closed and sitting on the display pedastal, was that from the unit?) maybe it's like thw Wii's WiiConnect24 glow?
#4- speaking of a WiiConnect24-like thing, Iwata talked a lot about the WiFi in sleep mode aspects
#5- no headset jack, just headphones, I think in the lower-right of the bottom screen is where the "embedded mic" is
#6- Cannot clearly see the back of the unit (maybe on purpose?) but it seemed that what I could see were 2 connections on either side of the card slot (power/recharge & what else?)...so of course my over-active imagination instantly thought: HDMI (!!!), but I figured hands-on impressions would've noticed this already even if nintendo were trying to hide the feature for now...reading the featureset from the E3 Nintendo site I noticed #7
#7- under the input/output section it says that there is an "AC adaptor connector" AND a "charging cradle terminal"...I have many questions about this that I'm sure NO journalist will ask about properly

P.S.-
Here's something else: where's the Vitality Sensor and when's the last time Nintendo has talked about Friend Codes?

After some digging I have some good pics of the back on the 3DS which clearly show 2 ports. What I'm still questioning is why 2? One is obviously for power/recharge, what's the other one for? Or is one for power and the other for recharge??? And what's with the "charging cradle terminal" that AniHawk got a shot of?

Also, in the main 3DS thread before E3 I found the patent for the 3DS holo card which then neo2046 found a pic of. Suffice it to say, this should stave the woes of game capacity and piracy for a while.

Dreamwriter said:

oh nit snice to wake up and see gaf back to it normarly LUNACY

yesterday was insane ... we werent even arguing!

Also, in the main 3DS thread before E3 I found the patent for the 3DS holo card which then neo2046 found a pic of. Suffice it to say, this should stave the woes of game capacity and piracy for a while.

there was also information as an auto updateble firmware

cw_sasuke said:
Yes they still have some questions to answer - what about 3dsware ? demos ? online system ? mii integration ? will there be a virtual console ? etc.

There sure will be a 3dsware onlie shop

Probably no demos

Problably looking by the support a more "hardcore" online system

Mii are granted

Yes

But as Wii was releasead all all this will be gradually released too.

Annoying Old Party Man said:
Can someone post a news article or a reliant source on whether Ocarina of Time is really being made for 3DS or not? It's a really big thing :p

http://e3.nintendo.com/3ds/

And go to 'Nintendo Titles'. Besided Zelda, you can also see screens of Starfiox, Animal Crossing, Dead or Alive etc.

It's right there. Can't get more official then that, can it? :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I do not know if this has been posted, but EB Australia have the system up for pre-order at AU$348.

~$50 more than the Wii :(.

Dreamwriter said:

Yes, you figured it out.

It's a tech demo that's more than a port.

Brilliant.

Lebron said:
Well done, Nintendo. You have me back on board the Nintendo Handheld train. I somewhat wanted a DS, but never got around to getting one. Also had friends with one so I oftentimes just mooched. Not this time, this will be mine, no doubt.

With backwards compatibility, you're essentially going to be set for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom