• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Death Spell gameplay trailer

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Back in 2011-2012 everybody was showing off their own engines, including Unity and Epic with UE4. Demoing new engines at tech conventions and giving talks is a good way to garner attention and hopefully swipe up some talents in the industry. Honestly, the only people who got hyperbolic about Luminous were the journalists (some guy actually said Luminous would be the "nirvana" of next-gen engines), just like how some Gaffers get hyperbolic about UE4. There wasn't really anything boastful in Hashimoto's interviews and presentations on Luminous 1.0. They were just interesting tech demonstrations and showcasing what they wanted to achieve for this gen.

I disagree with drBretto's post though; if BD2 showed it, the graphical criticisms are completely valid.

Siggraph and CEDEC are places to learn and also share their tech research for other companies to use and improve on, i.e. UE4's new hair shader uses Agni's Philosophy tech as its base. It would be worrying for Luminous if they didn't show it at all at these tech conventions now that XV is pretty much completed.

My comment was more toward everything they've done from 2014 on. Look at all these tech videos! The game won't look like this but look what our engine can do! Etc.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. That's the appropriate place to be talking about it. That's not parading it around like it came from God. And again, the game's looking good right now. There's not really anything game engine-related to criticize right now. That was last month's refrain before we saw the recent updates. Which brings me back to my point that people have been largely judging the wrong things at the wrong times.

And while there is absolutely toxicity in all fanbases, you misunderstand. I'm not singling out Final Fantasy fans. I'm singling out FFXV fans. This game is bringing some extra special toxicity with a side of crazy more than pretty much anything I've ever seen. It's not any one group or anything, though. There's just so much emotion wrapped up into this game so there are so many irrational arguments all over the place. It leads to chaos. And maybe arguing about graphical downgrades at least gets some people on the dmsame page about something. I just wish sone people were a little more patient is all.

People have every right to judge what they are shown. There's nothing wrong with it. SE released what they did and they made the conscious decision to do so, criticism or not.

Vex_

Banned
Beach resort in the beginning area:
Code:
[IMG]http://gifyu.com/images/XVgif3.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/rUV33az.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://media1.gameinformer.com/filestorage/CommunityServer.Components.SiteFiles/imagefeed/featured/square-enix2016/FFXV/coverfeatures/excitingdestinations/galdinquay/gardhina_snap.jpg[/IMG]

I dont care what anyone says. this game looks phenomenal!

i especially love the new spells! SICK SICK SICK shit!

DrBretto

Banned
My comment was more toward everything they've done from 2014 on. Look at all these tech videos! The game won't look like this but look what our engine can do! Etc.

People have every right to judge what they are shown. There's nothing wrong with it. SE released what they did and they made the conscious decision to do so, criticism or not.

I didn't say people didn't have a right to bring up a topic of discussion. That's distorting my point. I'm talking about the fixation and the overreactions. Especially when they were showing footage so obviously unpolished so they can show off some specific feature.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I didn't say people didn't have a right to bring up a topic of discussion. That's distorting my point. I'm talking about the fixation and the overreactions. Especially when they were showing footage so obviously unpolished so they can show off some specific feature.

You care too much about what others think. If they want to have a fixation or overreact about something just let them be and move on. No one is forcing you to read their posts.

wmlk

Seeing as how Noctis began laughing when using Death, there could be some cool things that stem from this. Maybe there's a LotR effect where the ring consumes the user in some way?

Exentryk

giphy.gif

- J - D -

Beach resort in the beginning area:
Code:
[IMG]http://gifyu.com/images/XVgif3.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/rUV33az.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://media1.gameinformer.com/filestorage/CommunityServer.Components.SiteFiles/imagefeed/featured/square-enix2016/FFXV/coverfeatures/excitingdestinations/galdinquay/gardhina_snap.jpg[/IMG]

They showed the beach near Galdin Quay. I wouldn't be surprise if there are more beach areas around the map.

Nice.

OrionX

Seeing as how Noctis began laughing when using Death, there could be some cool things that stem from this. Maybe there's a LotR effect where the ring consumes the user in some way?

So you're saying the ring will turn Noctis evil, he'll become the villain and Luna will take his place to lead the party midway through? Sounds interesting. ;)

DrBretto

Banned
You care too much about what others think. If they want to have a fixation or overreact about something just let them be and move on. No one is forcing you to read their posts.

Please don't bother to respond to me with strawmen one-liners. I feel like this is the third time here I've taken your bait.

I was just trying to point out that there's no reason to disbelieve the recent footage. I didn't say they weren't allowed to talk about it. I pointed out it was all for nothing because many weren't taking into account that's not what they were showing. And that's clearly true, you can see it in the more recent footage. And considering some of the shit I took for it at the time, sure, there's an ounce of frustration in there as well.

If I can see something from my perspective that it doesn't appear someone else can see from there's, I'm going to offer it. 9 times out if 10, I'm doing so for a good reason. Usually because I'm excited about something and I want to share it. There are enough people trying to get everyone to hate everything around the 'net, I'm ok with giving it a shot when I can.

But, you're free to not read my opinions as well, if it bothers you. No hard feelings.

Benzy, my man, where are your new open-world games comparison collages now with the recent footage, especially compared to TW3!? :p

Just stumpled upon this comparison from weeks ago, lol:

Hopefully, none of us believing in the recent upgrade being real has to eat crowe next month :D

Btw, I'm not shading TW3. It's probably my GOTG (let's hope only until FFXV). Just curious how they compare and if FFXV will be the new gold standard for open-world RPGs.

Horizon Zero Dawn will look better than both of them. I really hope this game turns out great though. I want to like FF again.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Please don't bother to respond to me with strawmen one-liners. I feel like this is the third time here I've taken your bait.

I was just trying to point out that there's no reason to disbelieve the recent footage. I didn't say they weren't allowed to talk about it. I pointed out it was all for nothing because many weren't taking into account that's not what they were showing. And that's clearly true, you can see it in the more recent footage. And considering some of the shit I took for it at the time, sure, there's an ounce of frustration in there as well.

If I can see something from my perspective that it doesn't appear someone else can see from there's, I'm going to offer it. 9 times out if 10, I'm doing so for a good reason. Usually because I'm excited about something and I want to share it. There are enough people trying to get everyone to hate everything around the 'net, I'm ok with giving it a shot when I can.

But, you're free to not read my opinions as well, if it bothers you. No hard feelings.

It's not bait. You're essentially crying about "Why don't these people like what I like?" It's cool you're so passionate about the game, that's great. Keep on liking what you like but don't get all fussy when people are out there judging content SE themselves releases, unpolished or not. That's all there is to it.

And it's not just XV fans. People nitpicked XIII, its sequels and XIV to death too. FFVII Remake will be in there as well.

.JayZii

Banned
So you're saying the ring will turn Noctis evil, he'll become the villain and Luna will take his place to lead the party midway through? Sounds interesting. ;)
She'll cut her hair, change her name to
Dagger
, and confront Noctis for a runic sword fight showdown.

DrBretto

Banned
It's not bait. You're essentially crying about "Why don't these people like what I like?" It's cool you're so passionate about the game, that's great. Keep on liking what you like but don't get all fussy when people are out there judging content SE themselves releases, unpolished or not. That's all there is to it.

And it's not just XV fans. People nitpicked XIII, its sequels and XIV to death too. FFVII Remake will be in there as well.

That's 4 times. I will recognize the lost cause and move on.

DrBretto

Banned
Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're baiting you.

this isn't bait, i don't like seafood

That statement is true. But that's not what happened. I respectfully disagree with a great many people on a daily basis. Those are some of my favorite people, too, because we keep each other on our toes.

What's annoying me is having my points twisted. But, I've had enough experience with people doing that on the net to know when someone isn't even trying to listen. Thay conversation wasn't going anywhere, so I'm moving on.

.JayZii

Banned
Thought of the day:

If reflect is in the game and an enemy casts it, can Noctis then deform himself?
No. It would repel off the ring like magnets of the same polarity. Prompto, however, would take the brunt of it.

Trust me. I have a Ph.D. in Lucian Magicolology.

Toparaman

Banned
Benzy, my man, where are your new open-world games comparison collages now with the recent footage, especially compared to TW3!? :p

Just stumpled upon this comparison from weeks ago, lol:

Hopefully, none of us believing in the recent upgrade being real has to eat crowe next month :D

Btw, I'm not shading TW3. It's probably my GOTG (let's hope only until FFXV). Just curious how they compare and if FFXV will be the new gold standard for open-world RPGs.

Yeah, FFXV seems to have come a long way from the Master Build. I was definitely in the "FFXV looks worse than TW3" camp several weeks back. Crazy to think that it has come so far in such a short amount of time. I guess we'll see upon release.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Glad they got the graphics up, but there's more to worry about than graphics. Its going to need to be fun the whole way through. Lets see if Tabby and co can accomplish that

Ceravic

So, I keep coming back to this. We all seem to be on board with there being more Ring based spells, but all they did was equip the ring in the demo. I wonder if it's something that has some of the effects at first, like slow, maybe a demi, and that death spell is just all of them put together?

I don't think it's even just us being in agreement that there's more than one. On the description of the official video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vgjPTy3jnA&feature=youtu.be

"As revealed exclusively during the FINAL FANTASY XV presentation at TwitchCon 2016, witness Death magic – one of the powerful spells granted by the Ring of the Lucii . Death drains the HP of enemies. "

Philippo

So, I keep coming back to this. We all seem to be on board with there being more Ring based spells, but all they did was equip the ring in the demo. I wonder if it's something that has some of the effects at first, like slow, maybe a demi, and that death spell is just all of them put together?

But there's a whole equipment section for where the Ring was, no way it's the only thing with this kind of power.

DrBretto

Banned
I didn't say it was the only spell. I just brought up the idea that they're also upgradeable. I've always been of the mind that other spells from the ring would be other buttons or directional inputs whith the ring equipped.

I definitely don't think it's one spell, but it may be one ring. And that particular button/spell might gradually lead to that death spell. Either way, though, it was just a thought bubble.

artsi

I'd guess that you get the ring first, it's just a trinket in the beginning but then you gain the spells later somehow.

Gbraga

As someone else pointed out, (KINGSGLAIVE SPOILERS)
Regis doesn't even try to use death during the movie. So it's possible we'll get the ring with the abilities he did have about halfway through, and we learn death torwards the end.

TheTux

As someone else pointed out, (KINGSGLAIVE SPOILERS)
Regis doesn't even try to use death during the movie. So it's possible we'll get the ring with the abilities he did have about halfway through, and we learn death torwards the end.

Keep in mind
Regis in Kingsglaive is really weak and couldn't use all of his abilities... in Brotherhood episode 4 they say he can't even summon swords anymore if I remember correctly

Koozek

Strange. SE Germany here called it "Beschwörung" (summon) in this FB post. Maybe a typo or maybe it's technically not "magic" in the game, but a summon's power (Kingsglaive spoiler:
maybe when you get KOTR as a summon?
). Remember that SE Germany once "leaked" the game world's name, Eos, in their official site's story description long before it was used anywhere else.

BEnBaD5.png

Gbraga

Keep in mind
Regis in Kingsglaive is really weak and couldn't use all of his abilities... in Brotherhood episode 4 they say he can't even summon swords anymore if I remember correctly

True. But Tabata already mentioned
that Altissia is about halfway through the game. And the description of the ring mentions that Luna did give it to Noctis, so I can't see a weird twist happening that would stop Noctis from getting the ring then.

Maybe Regis did have the ability, but Noctis doesn't get all of them at first, and needs to learn everything again, like Regis once did?

Strange. SE Germany here called it "Beschwörung" (summon) in this FB post. Maybe a typo or maybe it's technically not "magic" in the game, but a summon's power (Kingsglaive spoiler:
). Remember that SE Germany once "leaked" the game world's name, Eos, in their official site's story description long before it was used anywhere else.

BEnBaD5.png

Interesting. And given (Kingsglaive)
how their physical manifestation seems to be related to the Old Wall, it makes sense that they'd manifest through abilities when you're out of Insomnia.

BEnBaD5.png

Would be awesome if different summons granted different arcane/ultimate spells.

DrBretto

Banned
Would be awesome if different summons granted different arcane/ultimate spells.

Oh, that could totally be the answer we were looking for, too. Like, you equip the ring and somehow set an active Archaen, and the ring uses whatever spell is tied to that summon. That could totally work.

Oh, that could totally be the answer we were looking for, too. Like, you equip the ring and somehow set an active Archaen, and the ring uses whatever spell is tied to that summon. That could totally work.

Flare from Ifrit. Quake from Titan. Ultima from Bahamut. My guess is still that it doesn't work this way (though it seems obvious Death isn't the only arcane magic), but I'd love to be wrong.

Koozek

Flare from Ifrit. Quake from Titan. Ultima from Bahamut. My guess is still that it doesn't work this way (though it seems obvious Death isn't the only arcane magic), but I'd love to be wrong.
That way the Summon's Ring Magic would be the solution to using Summons indoors, I guess.

DrBretto

Banned

Oh yeah, total wild speculation at this point. It just fits so far.

That way the Summon's Ring Magic would be the solution to using Summons indoors, I guess.

Could be. But I thought I did read something somewhere where someone from SE explicitly stated that the Ramuh animation where he throws the staff was what that particular summon does when you're indoors, though? I'm not sure hoe accurate that claim was, though. It could easily have been something I misinterpreted.

wmlk

I was thinking about the Archaeans, too. There's some weird incantation that we hear when Noctis uses the ring, and that could be the unknown language that Titan speaks in too. Maybe they're tied together.

We also gather and absorb summons if we look at the animation where Noctis gets Ramuh.

I was thinking about the Archaeans, too. There's some weird incantation that we hear when Noctis uses the ring, and that could be the unknown language that Titan speaks in too. Maybe they're tied together.

We also gather and absorb summons if we look at the animation where Noctis gets Ramuh.

Ooh, good point. Maybe this really is how it works!

Garulas just can't catch a break with Noctis and the bros running around looking for trouble.

I actually like how the death spell affects the robotic/metallic beings. Really out there in terms of distortion.

Top Bottom