• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Death Spell gameplay trailer

benzy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vgjPTy3jnA

ffxvdeathnew1_by_vspectra-dajutp7.gif

sublimit

Banned
Do we know if spell casting was something that was planned since Nomura was on board or is it something that was brought by Tabata?

silva1991

Do we know if spell casting was something that was planned since Nomura was on board or is it something that was brought by Tabata?

In 2011 versus trailer alone both fire and lightning were used. of course we don't know if there was two types of magic back then normal and ring magic.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
He might've been in the last world of wonder trailer but I forget.

Description, man.

As revealed exclusively during the FINAL FANTASY XV presentation at TwitchCon 2016, witness Death magic – one of the powerful spells granted by the Ring of the Lucii. Death drains the HP of enemies. The longer you use the spell, the more your enemy will physically deteriorate. In this video Death is used to tackle a variety of enemies, including another exclusive reveal – the fearsome Bandersnatch!

Why have a trailer with poorly executed gameplay in it? I mean, the number of times that Noctis is hit out of the Death animation is really large in this trailer.

Also, the visual effect is really quite violent this time. They just sort of shrivel up and explode.

man, the whole background 'uh!'/'oohff!'/'augh!' gruntin'n'groanin', combined with them trademark 'random remarks', is just sooo overdone. i can't imagine this being much fun to listen to beyond the first few hours (if even that :) )...

Koozek

Death spell that's not actually a waste of time in final fantasy???!

That looked good
Pro version?
The button prompts indicate it's their PC dev build. But the Xbone footage shown on the stream yesterday was a huge improvement from the last weeks' builds and didn't look much worse:
LODs and grass looks so much better now on Xbone. Much less shadow and grass pop-in too.

today
UWbc.png

a month ago
VWbc.png

-----------
Still very pleased they added back in those specular shaders for grass.

ZWbc.png

aXbc.png

WWbc.png

Gbraga

Why have a trailer with poorly executed gameplay in it? I mean, the number of times that Noctis is hit out of the Death animation is really large in this trailer.

Also, the visual effect is really quite violent this time. They just sort of shrivel up and explode.

They probably wanted to show that it's not an autowin button, I guess.

Bennettt2

man, the whole background 'uh!'/'oohff!'/'augh!' gruntin'n'groanin', combined with them trademark 'random remarks', is just sooo overdone. i can't imagine this being much fun to listen to beyond the first few hours (if even that :) )...

i suspect most will get used to it. it is a bit much at first hearing, though...

also, mighty impressive improvement on XB1 version.

chefbags

Death spell that's not actually a waste of time in final fantasy???!

That looked good
Pro version?

If you look at the button prompts it looks like it's pc dev. I'm guessing so they can control which enemies pop up for the trailer.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Generic buttom prompts suggest otherwise.

To be fair, SE has used generic button prompts in the past for other stuff that wasn't PC footage. For example FFXIII, they edited them to remain platform agnostic when uploading said videos to the console makers.

benzy

To be fair, SE has used generic button prompts in the past for other stuff that wasn't PC footage. For example FFXIII, they edited them to remain platform agnostic when uploading said videos to the console makers.

This is also Business Division 2 and their marketing who don't care what state they show their game in, let alone have time to edit button prompts. :p

Gbraga

Yeah.

My hype levels are through the roof.

I also played both demos, extensively.

The lore of this game is already so cool.

Agreed, I was actually really surprised by some of the stuff in Kingsglaive, that I didn't expect to be in the game at all. I hope we get some fights like the ones torwards the end of the movie.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
This is also Business Division 2 and their marketing who don't care what state they show their game in, let alone have time to edit button prompts. :p

True. They need to get around to uploading that Pro footage at some point.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
While it does look cool, would it not make more sense for only living organic beings to be affected by this and everything else to be immune? Seeing robots and stuff get skinny before they poof is surreal

Magic is apart of every FF.

Impulsor

Agreed, I was actually really surprised by some of the stuff in Kingsglaive, that I didn't expect to be in the game at all. I hope we get some fights like the ones torwards the end of the movie.

So do I, and watching some demo gameplay from last E3 it seems our wishes will become true.

The scen with the giant...

Kingsglaive has some astounding battle scenes, like the one you say towards the end and the one at the very beginning of the movie.

Just, wow.

Exentryk

Poor trailer.

I like the Death spell at a concept level, with it slowly draining away the life of an enemy and them shrinking and then finally disappearing. Good work. This also gives some links to that Shinigami figure we saw around Lucis, and now we see that the ring of Lucii gives the Death spell.

Gbraga

So do I, and watching some demo gameplay from last E3 it seems our wishes will become true.

The scen with the giant...

Kingsglaive has some astounding battle scenes, like the one you say towards the end and the one at the very beginning of the movie.

Just, wow.

I'm very curious to see what Insomnia will look like in-game after Kingsglaive. Let's just say the invasion made a little bit more of a mess than I thought it would back in the Versus days.

While it does look cool, would it not make more sense for only living organic beings to be affected by this and everything else to be immune? Seeing robots and stuff get skinny before they poof is surreal

Good point. I'd bet they're conveniently ignoring this because of the change from real soldiers to robot soldiers, they probably don't want Death to not work on what is probably the most common enemy in the game.

Poor trailer.

I like the Death spell at a concept level, with it slowly draining away the life of an enemy and them shrinking and then finally disappearing. Good work. This also gives some links to that Shinigami figure we saw around Lucis, and now we see that the ring of Lucii gives the Death spell.

Yeah, I agree, it's a very cool spell conceptually, and its lore implications are really interesting, and bring back an element that many thought was gone from the game.

Gameplay-wise, though, this shit looks boring as hell. Only way I could see myself using it is to quickly get rid of weaker enemies when revisiting early areas for end-game content, but it's still quicker to just run away from them.

Begaria

I don't believe that trailer for a moment. Death rarely works. Probably took 'em 80 hours just to capture 4 minutes of it actually working.

Kinyou

Not sure why they'd make this a 4 minute long trailer of him using the same spell over and over again. Anyway, performance is looking good

Exentryk

I don't believe that trailer for a moment. Death rarely works. Probably took 'em 80 hours just to capture 4 minutes of it actually working.

The way it works here is that it constantly drains MP when you cast (hold) it, and then it slowly kills the enemy. The time it takes to kill enemies probably depends upon their levels/resistances/etc. Some enemies might be immune to it too.

The concept seems that it speeds up the passage of time, so even robots/etc decay and disappear eventually.

Top Bottom