• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Death Spell gameplay trailer

Look really cool.

Little off topic: Have they mentioned yet how you will be able to summon in the game? Really hope it's not like the demo.

Different summons have different requirements or ways that they come to your aid. For example, certain summons just show up when they feel like it. Other than that example it is pretty vague as far as I know.

Ralemont

not me
Thought it was Charm at first because of the neon pink, then the fucking thing exploded and I thought, "Oh, maybe not?"

JayBabay

Damn the effects on that are so cool, like the life is getting sucked out of them.

Now if this is a true Final Fantasy 70% of the enemies will be immune to this because it only works in multiples of enemy levels XD

Logash

Different summons have different requirements or ways that they come to your aid. For example, certain summons just show up when they feel like it. Other than that example it is pretty vague as far as I know.
That is vague but it's a lot more interesting than an "Oh Shit" button like the demo.

Logash

Man I hope this game delivers. The more I see the more I'm sold on it.

I'm pretty much sold on it too. The only thing that really worries me is that every time we see gameplay it's of Noctis getting his ass beat. It comes off looking frustrating because if the devs can't avoid being knocked around how can we?

Falk

that puzzling face

Those are robots

YR7Atn1.gif

pablito

Why they attack animals that are peacefully eating grass

Yeah for the most part I'm going to leave them alone. But there's quests, recipes I'm sure, and sometimes they'll aggro if they get hit if you're fighting something else.

iavi

This game must have done a graphical upgrade somewhere along the line recently cause it looks amazing now

DrBretto

Banned
This game must have done a graphical upgrade somewhere along the line recently cause it looks amazing now

I always was of the mind that people were judging the graphics WAY prematurely, but what they've done over the last couple of builds have been damn near miraculous. Far more than my wildest fanboy expectations.

Haha. This will be the rare time in a FF I would actually want to use the Death spell, and on every enemy. Just to see how it looks.

Image doing this spell on something like this:

latest

or
latest

or
Bomb_1193.png

Hmmm. I wonder if there are wild Chocobos you can fight

The actual mesh warping does look a little messy (as is to be expected when applying something like that to every generic enemy in the game), but it's worth it for the effect (and also plays into a bit of an uncanny valley sort of thing, however unintentionally, in how it highlights the artificiality of the models in a manner that's more commonly the domain of glitches and hacking). It's an interesting take on the spell, but I'm not sure if they should have the transformation persist if you don't manage to kill an enemy with it - it looks okay as part of the magic sequence, but seeing enemies (especially the soldiers) walking around and attacking normally with the shrunken mesh afterwards looks kind of awkward.

I agree and I'm surprised more people aren't mentioning this. It looks ridiculous.

Ralemont

not me

Love this. One of my favorite parts of 8:

Battle starts.
Characters disappear
"Zantetsuken"

mattp

man, the whole background 'uh!'/'oohff!'/'augh!' gruntin'n'groanin', combined with them trademark 'random remarks', is just sooo overdone. i can't imagine this being much fun to listen to beyond the first few hours (if even that :) )...

this

jesus christ
this video was only 4 minutes long and i'm already tired of them

Falk

that puzzling face
I agree and I'm surprised more people aren't mentioning this. It looks ridiculous.

It looks creepy and messed up. Ultimately it's a game. Do we need a scientific explanation for it?
in a datalog maybe aha ahahaha ahahah don't hurt me

edit: try this on for size - Death physically distorts whatever it's used on till the Gods deem it an aberration that has no right to exist and thus erase it from existence. Except the sirloins. The sirloins can stay. (c) Falk 2016

edit2:

Image doing this spell on something like this:

qTwlnzW.jpg

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
The game looks cool, but I don't think I'd ever use that magic. The animation reminds me too much of some of kind of goofy-yet-still-disturbing version of an Unforgivable Curse from Harry Potter (likely the Cruciatus Curse) and just makes me really uncomfortable.

That's great that they're differentiating the magic, though. Like I said, the game is looking cool.

It looks creepy and messed up. Ultimately it's a game. Do we need a scientific explanation for it?
in a datalog maybe aha ahahaha ahahah don't hurt me
What? I'm not looking for an explanation here, it's a magical spell. What I'm saying is the way they decided to represent death "decaying" an enemy visually looks silly as hell. It doesn't look convincingly like decay, and more like a literal video game corruption. It's just an odd choice particularly for a game so heavily emphasizing animations, design and fidelity in all other areas I've seen.

DrBretto

Banned
What? I'm not looking for an explanation here, it's a magical spell. What I'm saying is the way they decided to represent death "decaying" an enemy visually looks silly as hell. It doesn't look convincingly like decay, and more like a literal video game corruption. It's just an odd choice particularly for a game so heavily emphasizing animations, design and fidelity in all other areas I've seen.

My guess is people aren't complaining about it because most people seem to think it looks cool.

Falk

that puzzling face

I feel like I'm in one of those "how to make your 4:3 games widescreen" threads but in reverse, lol

Yeah, it's goofy on mechanical enemies.

Anybody think that there might be monsters(like bosses) capable of using Death magic? It was used in the past FFs by hard monsters and some bosses. I can see boss battles against something like a Lich where he focuses on Noctis and the point of the battle is to knock the Lich out of the spell(because that seems to be a weakness, the concentration), but then get his HP low enough and he summons a swarm of monsters to keep you busy while he's trying to cast Death on you one by one.

That leads me to the use of this spell. I'd think it would be hard to use on fast moving enemies that have the knack of knocking Noctis out of concentration.

Was Bandersnatch shown before? Haven't seen that one yet

The Twtichcon presentation showed the Bandersnatch, as well as
Soldier Wasps(giant killer wasps that can swoop down and carry you away) and Mandrakes(plant-like creatures that have root-like bodies, giant flowers on their heads and move around like apes). Both, to my knowledge, are also new. There are also another type of crab enemy, but it seems to be a palette swap of the ones near Galdin Quay.

Top Bottom