• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect priced at $150 in Microsoft's official online store

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
DeadGzuz said:
Don't worry, it will come out two days after GT5, you and the Kinect group can get together for some great racing to forget about Kinect bad press. :D
Oh shit, GT5 appears in this thread.

X26

Banned
chespace said:
I don't know if Move is going to bomb, but at this point, nobody gives a shit. Even Sony fans would rather talk about Kinect.

I'll take your word for it, you of all people should know about products bombing

Firewire said:
/thread some dude from Staten Island is buying a kinect.

Doofus, I'm saying that there's more public interest in this thing then you even know of. If you took a moment to unbind yourself from your game-basement and, I don't know, maybe talk to actual people outside of the internets, you might notice there's a good buzz in the air about it.

Tom Penny said:
I laughed. And then I felt really bad about it. And then I realized someone from GAF or the such probably posted it.

If it is real, nothing will save your soul from the deepest pits of Hell, Microsoft.

freddy

Banned
SirButterstick said:
Doofus, I'm saying that there's more public interest in this thing then you even know of. If you took a moment to unbind yourself from your game-basement and, I don't know, maybe talk to actual people outside of the internets, you might notice there's a good buzz in the air about it.
There's really no need to resort to personal slurs.

Firewire

Banned
SirButterstick said:
lol Doofus!

If amazon sales are anything to go by, move is setting up to be a sales disaster while kinect looks like a potential hit.

I literally never hear anyone talk about move but have heard complete non gamers talking about kinect.

GillianSeed79 said:
Six feet from the screen? Good god, why not just include a pair of binoculars while you are at it. I'm really getting a Game Room-good-idea-horrible-execution feeling from Kinect.
6 feet is two yards. Only small children sit that close to the television.

Maxwell House said:
If amazon sales are anything to go by, move is setting up to be a sales disaster while kinect looks like a potential hit.

I literally never hear anyone talk about move but have heard complete non gamers talking about kinect.

2 words: snake oil :) . it's a product that's whatever you imagine it being, it's the way kinect's being marketed, & nigel west dickens was successful at selling it, too...

the problem with kinect is that, unlike rrod (& snake oil), it's 'flaws' will become apparent immediately. & amazon also has a feedback section. so i'd say, beyond initial sales, we'll just have to wait'n'see...

chespace said:
One thing is for sure, there's been a TON of chatter about Kinect during and post E3 and not a lot about Move. Somebody's plan worked pretty damn well. :lol

Most of the chatter is bad news isn't it?

Speaking of which, shouldn't you be reassuring forza fans somewhere that you won't need to stand to drive a car with Kinect?

akachan ningen said:

Bad news is good news!

and no, I think the only people looking negatively at Kinect is gamer forums... a lot of journalists have enjoyed Kinect as well as gaming journalists.

akachan ningen said:
Speaking of which, shouldn't you be reassuring forza fans somewhere that you won't need to stand to drive a car with Kinect?

when i mentioned this to my non-gamer wife, she suggested an ice crean truck sim might work :) ...

JWong

Banned
UltimaPooh said:
Bad news is good news!

and no, I think the only people looking negatively at Kinect is gamer forums... a lot of journalists have enjoyed Kinect as well as gaming journalists.
E3 demos are a controlled experience.

You can't sit, be black, talk to Milo, pet Skittles the wrong way...

freddy

Banned
akachan ningen said:

Maybe Microsoft is attempting to turn this thread into a Move vs Kinect debate so it gets closed. I can't imagine they like seeing some of the threads here.

semiconscious said:
2 words: snake oil :)

It should be called Conect.

From Milo to all this subterfuge over standing and player limits I'm hearing more what it can't do then what it can.

At the moment my household doesn't get the buzz around it at all.

Tom Penny

CoG said:
And most major cities, like, anywhere.

What? I don't know 1 person that doesn't have 6 feet in their living room. Even in apartments although you might have to move a coffee table or something.

Mandoric

Banned
Tom Penny said:
What? I don't know 1 person that doesn't have 6 feet in their living room. Even in apartments although you might have to move a coffee table or something.

12' room, 2' TV stand, 3' couch, leaves you a one-foot band to move in.

bedlamite

UltimaPooh said:
Bad news is good news!

They don't know a damn thing, it's up to us, the hardcore gamers, to save the casuals from themselves! Nobody cares if the games are actually fun to play, crappy 200ms lag and sub-par 640x480 camera resolution ZOMG

Redbeard

Banned
chespace said:
One thing is for sure, there's been a TON of chatter about Kinect during and post E3 and not a lot about Move. Somebody's plan worked pretty damn well. :lol

Naturally, Kinect was revealed for the first time at E3 with all of its launch titles.

Move was revealed months ago at GDC along with most of the games that will be around at launch.

There's simply more to talk about with Kinect, which has been shrouded in secrecy and still to this day has a smoke and mirrors campaign being given by Microsoft to promote it.

chespace said:
I don't know if Move is going to bomb, but at this point, nobody gives a shit. Even Sony fans would rather talk about Kinect.

There's actually a lot of Sony fans that are looking forward to the device, I don't know who you're talking to or hanging out with besides Dan Greenwalt that is saying otherwise, but there's a lot of excitement for a device that can be used to improve the hardcore gaming experience.

Kinect can't do that, and there's a lot of people that passionately disagree with the way Microsoft is going with this so there is going to be more chatter by default simply because it's more controversial.

Kogepan

Tom Penny said:

my entire apartment is 490sq/ft...2 bedrooms/1bath/kitchen. Not everyone lives in sprawling palaces...

mbmonk

I might pick it up for the PC (after $100 price drop) if the dev environment is open to all. I have faith that someone will come up with a slick idea for it.

Tom Penny said:

well my old dorm room was tiny and had all kinds of crap between the TV and where I would sit. I'm not sure i would have been able to move enough stuff out of the way to play this.

but then again, I doubt this is aimed at the college crowd

mbmonk

freddy said:
Well if you have to stand up and be 6 foot away from the pc screen I don't see the point really

Well the standing up thing is a bit of a downer...

But being 6 feet away from my PC screen isn't that big a deal. I am running a tv as monitor. If I was at my desk I would probably just use my mouse.

If the platform is open developers would be able to pair other hardware with this as they see fit. At that point it might become a smaller part of a larger system instead of the focus. ... I am reaching here. I admit it. Damn it...

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
akachan ningen said:

I dunno, it just feels like Sony threw a Move party and nobody showed up. It's just so unimaginative. I didn't care for Wii motion plus. How is Move any different?

As for sitting down to play the Forza preview we showed -- I don't expect you to know this of course since you weren't at E3, but you can play the game sitting down and Dan showed this in the demo booth.

So there you go, some reassurance or something. :lol

Rhindle

chespace said:
I dunno, it just feels like Sony threw a Move party and nobody showed up. It's just so unimaginative. I didn't care for Wii motion plus. How is Move any different?

As for sitting down to play the Forza preview we showed -- I don't expect you to know this of course since you weren't at E3, but you can play the game sitting down and Dan showed this in the demo booth.

DO YOU REALIZE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE

chespace said:

Seriously, you don't know? You seem to be yapping about it a lot for someone who knows nothing about it.

So you can sit down and drive the car but you can't use gas/brake?

Redbeard

Banned
chespace said:

If Sony threw a move party and no one showed up.

Then Microsoft threw a kinect party and everyone threw up. I guess that makes for more discussion.

You know, there are actually a LOT of people out there that think the Wii controller (with Wii motion plus) is actually a very solid controller interface that can greatly enhance the HD consoles most beloved genres (action adventure and FPS titles). The problem with the Wii is that since it's a console that has primarily catered towards casual audiences, it's extremely rare to see the motion controllers put to good use for more traditional hardcore games.

So you can probably imagine that if you're a fan of having hardcore titles with superior pointing controls that have been put on display with the Wii, then naturally you would be very excited for the Sony Move controller which already has a huge wealth of content in these genres.

I'd rather take an unimaginative, useful device that refines an existing concept that is proven to work and can enhance traditional games and provide for new experiences as well rather than a supposedly "imaginative" device where you're limited to the following:

1) Causal only titles
2) Standing up
3) 2 players max at one time
4) Horrific lag
5) Constant character jitters and "BAM! there it is" moments

artist

Banned
chespace said:

Now there's an angry ... :lol :lol :lol

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
skinnyrattler said:
So wait, it costs the same as a wii? Damn, Wii is underpowered.

Shit, this totally flew over my head till now. It does cost as much as a Wii. Wow :lol

Top Bottom