• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiseblade

What actually matters is sales and sales potential. Sometimes the rankings align with that and sometimes they don't. Shokugeki no Soma was like the 13th best selling series for the beginning of the year. It legitimately makes no difference where it is in the rankings, even if its sales were cut in half.

The poll doesn't mean anything in and of itself, it just happens to frequently correlate with series sales early on. If you try to look at the rankings as indicative of basically anything in a vacuum, you're not going to get any useful information.
I'd argue there's evidence Shueisha use reader feedback to gauge the sales potential of new series. The number of JUMP manga that don't even make 20 chapters shows they're comfortable making judgement calls without hard sales data. You're absolutely right that a series that has strong volume sales isn't going to get cut because it dropped a few places on the ranking, but it would make sense if it was used to manage sales expectations for early volume releases or decide if something is DOA.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch446

Shorts wouldn't fit her anyways.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi ch14

At least it went off with a bang. There are worse fates than becoming a tool for the Princess' enjoyment.

Tsugumomo ch93

Of course it wouldn't be this easy.

D9VSY20.jpg

Bah, what's the point then.

Moaradin

Amalgam of Distortion 2

Ow the edge.

The Promised Neverland 11

Yeah, I'm thinking Krone approached Gilda as an ally and she's having some serious doubts now. Don is totally a snitch though.

This manga has been pretty great.

Revo

Love Tyrant 40

I didn't expect him to actually show up. Feels a bit silly that he was stuck in the world but oh well.

One Piece 843

Basically straw hat versus match round 2

this time with Sanji

maybe Luffy will break off those cuffs for him seeing as he isn't buying Sanji's charade

PK Gaming

My Hero Academy

The author actually endeared me to Wind boy by making him into an actual character instead of some generic rival who has to be "taken down" in order to be won over

One Piece

Sanji and Luffy (unlike Natsu and Gray) have a good reason for fighting that's backed by emotion

Toriko 392

Some Hero... Toriko split the Earth in half lol

still we got to see the White Demon which gave me fears that this series really is ending at 400
even though both White and Blue weren't even awakened like Red (and White even confirms this)

I truly wonder if Acacia really is dead or some shit will happen next chapter like Cell and Buu

hmmm.... still better then Bleach

Zweizer

Banned
Any oneshot romance recommendation? Preferably the one who used "boy meet girl" template, but anything good is fine..

Most Shimazaki stories.
What would you do if you were to die tomorrow? by Ajiichi
The Foreigner and the Insensitive Tomboy by Yanagida Fumita
The Zombie Maria by Nakayama Atsushi
Letting Go of the Hand is a Loss by Mountain Pukuichi
Swap by Shimoda Asami

He isn't losing to Hayama a third time.

I don't think it is time for Soma to win against a 10th seat member

maybe Hayama gave Soma a handicap or the rebels didn't really need to beat a Elite 10 member but rather meat a certain criteria to pass

since it is actual BS that each rebel has to somehow deafest a E10 individual to pass these exams compared to everyone else

and doesn't even sound legally sound at all

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't think it is time for Soma to win against a 10th seat member

maybe Hayama gave Soma a handicap or the rebels didn't really need to beat a Elite 10 member but rather meat a certain criteria to pass

since it is actual BS that each rebel has to somehow deafest a E10 individual to pass these exams compared to everyone else

and doesn't even sound legally sound at all
He beat a 9th seat second year already

Zweizer

Banned
One Piece ch843

I doubt Luffy is fooled. It's kind of a similiar situation to Robin's back in Enies Lobby.

Tejina Senpai ch33

Welp, the club had a good run.

Hoshino, Me o Tsubutte. ch7

They keep getting into trouble, huh.

My Hero Academia ch112

They turned it around fast.

Shokugeki no Soma ch188

Of course it'd be a uphill battle. Still unlikely for Soma to lose though.

Deadly

Shokugeki no Soma 188
Yo Soma better win this with his sauce

One Piece 843
Sanji :(

MHA 112
I was hoping Midoriya would rally them and that's how he actually gets his points

Moaradin

your right

even though I don't think the 9th seat was taking things seriously

likely I feel like when they reach the second year of school they will start with this E10 place grabbing

They'll probably pull the same type of crap here. Hayama didn't have his heart in it or some shit.

Tejina Senpai 33

DgzGZKi.png

Well, we finally got new cast members like some people wanted. RIP magic club, tune in next week for the happy adventures of Chemistry Senpai and Labcoat-kun. Also he's f**.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Kasane ch. 23

Not knowing much of anything about theater or the sort of tragedy stories they run, I feel like I'm missing out when these plays and their characters are referenced. It's probably pretty cool if you're into that sort of thing, but ya know.

I still have no idea if I like this series or not.

WataMote ch. 105

This is a nothing chapter, but I'm always happy whenever Tomoko and Emoji Face awkwardly interact with each other.

One Piece ch. 843

This almost feels like Water 7 Saga: The Remix with Sanji here. Also, Big Mom's powers are pretty absurd.

bobohoro

One Piece 843

I am kinda annoyed at Sanji. Even in those circumstances, hitting your captain like that is kinda shitty. That's something I couldn't see Zoro for example ever do, even to protect himself or others.
I'd actually like for Zoro to just aimlessly wander into the scene and smack Sanji for this.
I also can't see Luffy backing down even if he got the hint.

Shokugeki no Soma 188

Soma can't lose this. Will amount to heart winning over superior technique, or something.

Tomo-chan 447

I admit, I had something other in mind with a chapter title like that.

One Piece 843

I am kinda annoyed at Sanji. Even in those circumstances, hitting your captain like that is kinda shitty. That's something I couldn't see Zoro for example ever do, even to protect himself or others.
I'd actually like for Zoro to just aimlessly wander into the scene and smack Sanji for this.
I also can't see Luffy backing down even if he got the hint.
We forgetting Cactus Rock now

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch447

Obviously because they're the best of your friends~

Keijo ch95

Too much assercice is dangerous.

I guess Nozomi's gonna put some work before she warms up to her.

Mendrox

Kasane ch. 23

One Piece ch. 843

This almost feels like Water 7 Saga: The Remix with Sanji here. Also, Big Mom's powers are pretty absurd.

If Dressrosa was the Alabasta arc in the new world. And Sky Island was the arc inbetween both of these (something crazy Sky Island = big living island elephant) then this will be Water Seven and Enels lobby for sure.

Lain

Finally received the Monster Girl encyclopedia volume 1 published by Seven Seas and the hardcover already gives good vibes. It's a little thing of beauty.

dramatis

WARNING: There may be spoilers in some of these recs (rec), reviews (rev), impressions (imp).

1. The diversion into the lizard story is really interesting. I can't wait to see how this plays out. For Overlord. From Jintor. (imp)
  2. But the ending itself was rather nicely done. Nice to see them tie everything all together and show some development in the leads. For Gakkyu Hotei. From dakkumauji. (rev)
  3. Sadly as someone with a anxiety disorder and depression issues I can relate to this to a certain extent. For The Private Report on My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness 01. From 8 X 11 Printer Paper. (imp)
  4. Official comedy manga from the Cinderella Girls mobage, in an unnatural 5-koma format. Ignore unless you're a CG fan. For The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls Theater. From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  5. An uneven series with a great start, meh mid-section but a surprisingly good conclusion. For Holyland. From pbayne. (rev)
  6. Tags: Yuri, School Girl, Eyeball Licking. 10/10 would eat again. For My Eyeballs Told Me To Dedicate Everything I Have To You: First Part. From A Huge Battleship.
  7. More stabbings than a night out in Birmingham. For School Ningyo II 01. From A Huge Battleship. (imp)
  8. Jintor suggests you don't read Maou no Hajimekata.
  9. Really it should be called "Inferno by Go Nagai, and Purgatorio and Paradiso Too, I Guess" because like everyone else in the world Nagai spends far more time on Inferno. For The Divine Comedy. From MetroidPrimeRib. (rev)
  10. A great Summertime read. For Yokohama Shopping Trip. From Semblance. (rev)
  11. Read this if you're into supernatural mahjong battle with cute JK. For Saki. From striferser. (imp)
  12. A Huge Battleship with a huge GIRLS und PANZER bonanza.
  13. The way he uses several pages and spreads in a row to convey the destruction was very effective at showing the raw power and just energy being used. For Akira. From Tyrant Rave. (rev)
  14. Sketchy cute work about a vague romantic couple who likes playing video games. For Mishiro san to Yamada kun. From OniBarubary. (imp)
  15. One thing the writing does do really well, at least so far, is use multiple plot and world devices (literal devices) to question the nature of consent, control, and trust in a really interesting way. For No Guns Life. From FelixOrion. (imp)
  16. A fun little story that didn't overstay it's welcome. For My Sweet Alien. From Wiseblade.
  17. I wasn't 100% on it for the first few chapters but it really grew on me. I'd go so far as to say I love it. Art's a bit shakey though. For The Genius War of Love and Brains. From Jintor.
  18. This is a simple, dialogue-less story about a young girl and an inquisitive little feline friend. For Little Little. From A Huge Battleship.
  19. Was a worthwhile read overall. For Hanagui (one shot). From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  20. I'd heard good things about this on gamefaqs anime/manga ot board but it actually lived up to it. For Sahara The Flower Samurai 01. From BassForever. (imp)
  21. It's pretty much ecchi manga 'checklist' For Golden Times. From striferser. (imp)
  22. And god, so much hot bloodness, hype, passion, fury and excitement, in the most unexpected of places, a comic about ballroom dancing. For Ballroom e Youkoso. From Turin Turambar. (rev)
  23. Ghosts are lovely. Obviously the tsundere is the best though. For Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san. From Qurupeke.
  24. This is a promising (ha!) start for sure. For Promised Neverland. From Arabesque. (imp)
  25. From striferser, impressions of some light reading material.
  26. It's serialised in a josei magazine, meaning the traditional Faust has been replaced with a capable FeMC namesake, on a mission to reassemble the scattered pieces of her demon. For Frau Faust. From A Huge Battleship. (imp)
  27. New series from the WataMote author, starring two NEET sisters, the older of whom wants to shape the younger into a writer. For Write Sisters. From A Huge Battleship. (imp)
  28. A slightly earlier work from the Mangka of Nanatsu no Taizai, which really shines through both in the art at times and the overall style of the fights. It's a dumb over the type action manga that never takes itself too serious, and ends at just the right time without dragging things on. For Kongou Banchou. From 8 X 11 Printer Paper.
  29. Wow. This is...a really unique and interesting manga. For Wombs. From OniBarubary. (imp)
  30. SF hard-boiled the gun smoke drifts muzzle talks For No Guns Life. From Ascheroth. (imp)
  31. Each of these three short series was, for better or worse, a very different experience. For Black Rock Shooter - Innocent Soul and others. From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  32. The art, especially the monster was really good. Author also draw some cool expression, though only to male character since it seem the author struggling when drawing female character. For Monster x Monster. From striferser. (rev)
  33. This is a really good love story with gods, comedy, and pulling down a guys pants. For Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha. From Sir Blaming. (rec)
  34. From the same guy who did A Friendly Orc's Daily Life. It's a SoL love comedy, with hints of references here and there. For Mishiro-san to Yamada-kun. From Sir Blaming.
  35. The flower sword powers are pretty interesting, wondering where this will go. For Sahara the Flower Samurai 01. From Cwarrior. (imp)
  36. Pretty straightforward resolution, but the final twist was nice. Overall, an enjoyable short series, which demonstrates the author's ability to draw great faces. For Toumei Ningen no Tsukurikata. From Zweizer.
  37. Just started reading this. Humans and demons traveling together, to defeat an evil organization I guess. Has some good action parts in it, its also funny at times. So far I'm liking it. For Sengoku Youko. From nabe_shogun.
  38. An offbeat fantasy story about a guy, Zipher, who is traveling alone with a box on his back before giving out to exhaustion. For Pandemonium: Majutsushi no Mura. From Semblance. (rev)
  39. For such an old work, I found it to be a pleasure to read and to look at, with simple but still nice and easy to follow art and I managed to learn a thing or two from it. For Itezuru. From Lain. (rev)
  40. It's an okay read alright. For Fragtime. From Sir Blaming. (???)
  41. I liked the man against the world/nature/mountain/himself spirit, the soloist struggle, the nerves of steel to be able to endure extreme situations. For The Climber. From Lain. (long rev)
  42. It started surprisingly strongly, with two excellent and slightly touching tales. For Time Eliminator. From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  43. The comprehension problems + its short length left me feeling disappointed, since the twisted, supernatural, episodic, gothloli gruesomeness would've usually been music to my eyes. For B.A.D. Beyond Another Darkness. From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  44. The rough art lends pretty well to the atmosphere of the unusual setting. For Walk Wit Me. From Zweizer. (imp)
  45. A short heartwarming romance with a pleasant ending. Definetly recommended. For My Fair Neighbor. From ColossalLazy. (rec)
  46. Overall good read, i love how Urasawa can give even side-characters so much personality and backstory in little time. For 20th Century and 21st Century Boy. From pbayne. (rev)
  47. The reality is that this is the type of work done in the interest of the artist, as he gets to draw lots of different cool things, instead of the interest of the reader. For Ranman. From Turin Turambar. (rev)
  48. A cool dude whose only good point is being kind. For Machida-kun no Sekai. From Sir Blaming.
  49. Guy gets reincarnated after losing everything and vows to beat the enemy that beat him. For Tales of Demons and Gods. From Furyous. (imp)
  50. A perfect girl who's a capital S and a perfect guy who's a capital M discover each-other's fetishes. For S Watari-san to M Mura-kun 01. From A Huge Battleship. (imp)
  51. All in all I didn't enjoy it that much, I guess? Sometimes it had neat ideas though. For Kare Kano. From thesaucetastic. (rev)
  52. Holyshit was that an awesome read, the premise is fairly cliche but it would pretty damn hard to find it at well excuted. For Hinomaru Zumou. From Principate. (imp)
  53. The art is good, it's funny, the cast is already super strong. For My Hero Academia. From Kurita. (imp)
  54. The good part, the drawing. For Glaucos. From Turin Turambar. (imp)
  55. It was intense, but a bit taxing on your brain. For Ten The Nice Guy on the Path of Tenhou. From striferser. (rev)
  56. Honestly, it's really a manga about older people in their teens and 20s and 30s and 40s just being really lonely and kinda social outcasts finding each other and having discombobulated friendships. For Wanitokagegisu. From OniBarubary. (imp)
  57. This is pretty good. Didn't realize I wanted a mafia manga all this time. For Bungou Stray Dogs. From thesaucetastic.
  58. Having the central cast be somewhat overtly antagonistic towards each-other was also a welcome inclusion. For Corpse Party: Another Child. From A Huge Battleship. (imp)
  59. Finally the proper start, that of a beautiful friendship~ For Yuzumori-san 01. From Zweizer.
  60. A nice short-stories volume from Hiroaki Samura. It has a decent range. For Gensou Gynaccoracy. From Turin Turambar. (Bonus: Brigit's Supper) (rev)
  61. Kakegurui prequel spinoff starring Mary, as she enters the academy and aims to reach the top of the world. For Kakegurui Twin 01. From Zweizer. (imp)
  62. In essence, this is a manga about self discovery regarding sexuality. For Avant Garde Yumeko. From striferser. (rev)
  63. Just a masterpiece, really all I can say about this manga. For Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. From 8 X 11 Printer Paper.
  64. This is pretty good. Proof that playing too much video games is a good life skill. Whether its parkour or handling biker gang members. For Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro. From nabe_shogun.
  65. A really well done romantic comedy that was just a joy to read through. For Prunus Girl. From 8 X 11 Printer Paper.
  66. One-shot from the Nejimaki Kagyu author, in which a suicidal kid befriends a sentient walking corpse. For The Zombie Maria (one shot). From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  67. I don't think I loved PSME as a whole, but there was a lot to appreciate. For Please Save My Earth. From Semblance. (rev)
  68. A story about family and bonds, about choosing a little thing and giving your life for it, all in the setting of the Russian revolution. For Harukaze no Snegurochka. From Turin Turambar. (rev)
  69. A trio of perfectly normal peddlers sell various things to people in trouble. Absurdist humor with a dash of morbidity ensues. For Sekitsui House. From Zweizer. (imp) striferser: This is some funny dark comedy stuff.
  70. I think pretty much everything I could say would be spoilers, and this is the type of work that it's better to discover by yourself. For Kuro. From Turin Turambar. (rev)
  71. A Huge Battleship on Maou-jou de Oyasumi and Prison Princess (positive).
  72. This had great potential to be an awesome and charming sports series but it ended too soon. I need my jump soccer fix and this would have done it. I love the two bickering characters, its like my thing in manga. For Tokyo Wonder Boys. From Dedication Through Light.
  73. About a princess who doesn't wait to get rescued but instead tries to escape herself from the Evil Overlord. For Prison Princess (one shot). From OniBarubary. (imp)
  74. The serialisation of a one-shot I read in late 2014, but with a number of changes, including a younger FeMC and a shift from gothic lolita fashion to anime cosplay. For Complex Age 01. From A Huge Battleship. (imp)
  75. Has some surprising respect for the gay drag queens of the bar as well as some other gender and sexuality things. For Okama Hakusho. From OniBarubary. (imp)
  76. The combination of an insane female lead, Saya no Uta-esque visceral terror and supernatural mystery is utterly irresistible to me. For Iwaihime. From A Huge Battleship. (imp)
  77. A manga about a gamer-girl (western games), who gets into really bad/awkward situations on the way to school. For Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro. From 8 X 11 Printer Paper. (imp)
  78. Though there were still a lot of stuff i enjoyed. For Soul Eater. From pbayne. (rev)

bobohoro

We forgetting Cactus Rock now

Well...I totally did.

But that was Luffy being dumb because of food and them both getting really into it. In the end it was Zoro trying to set Luffy straight, which isn't bad. I mean he basically did the same thing at Water 7, but throwing some mental punches instead.

This is Sanji lacking any confidence in his friends and doubling down on being an ass and resolving the issue on his own. I'm pretty sure Zeff would also like to kick his butt if he'd know the story. I mean, Sanji has always been the lone wolf doing his undercover stuff and protecting everyone, although most of it was by chance, but this feels a bit severe and lacking in trust and loyality to the crew.

I just hope he has some sort of really well thought out plan and never wanted to go through with leaving the crew, even temporarily, to fix this on his own. Even considering to leave would be a pretty heavy thing to resolve with the rest of the crew.

Edit: And thanks dramatis!

soma 188

Soma is obviously going to win considering the stakes are high. Then he'll probably lecture Hayama how he needs to cook with heart and power of friendship or something, which is why he lost.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Thank you as always dramatis!

hmm, i just noticed i follow and read so many mahjong manga this year (Saki achiga hen, Saki, Ten, Tetsunaki no Kirinji, mudazumo, Touhai, atsuize pen-chan )... and i haven't finish Takemitsu Zamurai!

Tsurezure children 96

HE DID IT! THIS DENSE GUY DID IT!

Tokidoki (one-shot by Naoshi Komi)

I like this. Thought this is going to be one of those romcom like Nisekoi, but it's actually a bittersweet story about the quality of life. I sure hope his next serialized work is something similar.

Uchi no Maou Kamimasen yo end

I like this simple slice of life about a guy who own demon lord as a pet. It's funny, though there is one chapter that kinda make me uncomfortable since it involve underage love...
Well, other than that, the other chapters is safe for work and funny.

Well...I totally did.

But that was Luffy being dumb because of food and them both getting really into it. In the end it was Zoro trying to set Luffy straight, which isn't bad. I mean he basically did the same thing at Water 7, but throwing some mental punches instead.

This is Sanji lacking any confidence in his friends and doubling down on being an ass and resolving the issue on his own. I'm pretty sure Zeff would also like to kick his butt if he'd know the story. I mean, Sanji has always been the lone wolf doing his undercover stuff and protecting everyone, although most of it was by chance, but this feels a bit severe and lacking in trust and loyality to the crew.

I just hope he has some sort of really well thought out plan and never wanted to go through with leaving the crew, even temporarily, to fix this on his own. Even considering to leave would be a pretty heavy thing to resolve with the rest of the crew.

Edit: And thanks dramatis!
What's he supposed to do exactly? Jump off the carriage into luffys arms? Sanjis smarter than that. They have tabs on zeff, exploding cuffs on his hands. He isn't stupid he's been thur this with luffy two times already knows his captain won't give up. He can't do anything right now but act like that.

Wolfsmund vol 7

oh hey, this came out 9 months ago and i somehow missed it.
Yknow, there's a...sterility to wolfsmund that i can't help but appreciate. I feel that it is partially because the manga is striving to depict real events and, as such, people just gotta die, yo, but, as we see with kingdom... that can be romanticized to quite a great degree. Not so here, where both heroes and villains die like dogs, and, most important, make serious strategic mistakes often. Why wouldnt they, after all? They're peasants, not schooled in the arts of war.

How tactical a siege is reminds me of Bokko, in a way. Another excellent and often overlooked book.

Ah... reading this makes me wish that kingdom took a more serious tone. Hulk Generals are fun, to an extent, but so much is lost in the process...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom