• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are you dealing with people who voted for Trump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0w

Old Member
The same way I've handled things since I became an adult.

Like an adult. If some of you people behave in real life how you behave on here, I feel sorry for anyone who has to work or deal with you in person.

nasax

Yeah let's alienate half of the country that voted for Trump, that's showing them and your message of love, unity and tolerance.

People will have a difference of opinion than mine and that's life.

I live in Arkansas. Gonna go to work just like any other day. People have been voting against their interests in this state for years. Bible belt, whaddya goin to do?

Arkansas as well. Basically just keeping my head down since I'm the only godless liberal here in the office. I figure they're all aware since I don't chime in with agreement on most of the political discussions, but haven't outright said anything one way or the other.

hodgy100

Yeah let's alienate half of the country that voted for Trump, that's showing them and your message of love, unity and tolerance.

let people vent for now they are angry, antagonizing them further will just make them double down.

lel

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I don't love, nor want to unify with, or tolerate, sexism, racism, xenophobia. That's literally the opposite of what the three values mean, it doesn't mean, accept any backwards ass view. It doesn't mean, respect the people who view you as subhuman because of the way you were born, it doesn't mean, just sit down, be quiet, and don't voice the fact that you are hurt, betrayed, and terrified not only for yourself but for your family, your friends, your SO, your children, your students, they aren't and never will accept us with open arms, so why the hell should we do the same?

Sephzilla

I think it's been established that half the country doesn't care about love, unity, or tolerance since half of the country voted for a man who believes in none of these

Squalor

It is so painfully obvious when someone has gone through life and never faced bigotry.

The only way they can stop alienating half the country is to be white and straight.

Not everyone has that luxury.

marrec

Banned
NeoGAF get a grip on yourself.

It's going to take awhile for a lot of the young folks here to come to terms.

A lot of the minorities too, they have a larger and much more clear stake in this than white folks do.

Shits still gotta get done though, we still gotta go to work one way or another.

Poorly. Pissed as fuck and calling them a bunch of damn idiots.
One of my best friends voted Trump, and spent an hour or more last night telling her how completely and utterly disappointed in her I was. Almost wanted to tell her to go fuck herself. Have no urge to talk to her at all. Anger and resentment for me towards anyone who voted for this guy has really set in on my end.
Wow so sound like such a better person than the group of Americans you're demonizing! Lmao

sa201674

Banned
Trump being president is such a nightmare.

With that said though, lashing out irrationally and letting hate take over against others (including yes, the deplorables) won't do anyone favors.

I'm a bit optimistic in thinking that a lot of trump voters will realize their mistakes and/or the implications of their actions.

The future isn't looking any pretty, but I hope everyone stays strong ( and prevent themselves from provoking violence)

CHC

At some point you have to engage with these people. The other options is more of what happened last night.

I really don't get how people can't see that. It's disappointing that there are so many blanket responses like "sub human" about them. On an instinctive, basic level I agree with those notions. But that isn't how minds are changed and the more you shun these people, the deeper the division becomes and the further they retreat into their cloistered worlds.

Stuff like this:

The White Flight of Derek Black (Stormfront founder's son starts to change his views)

Will I Know Anyone at this Party? (Somali woman in Minnesota holds a town hall Q&A about Muslim immigrants)

Small steps towards reversing course on ignorant, isolated thinking that is never exposed to anything that contradicts itself. It feels very righteous to utterly condemn everyone in these groups, but it achieves nothing at all.

It absolutely sucks that we are still at a point where things like a public Q&A in their town hall are how some people find out that not all Muslims are polygamous sleeper agents, but like.... this is the reality. Sorry. If you don't want to do anything to change it or feel like that isn't on you, fine, but you also have to recognize that the problem is not simply going away on its own, and as we've seen, is easily emboldened and fostered.

Is that how things going to be now? Tolerating sexism, racism, xenophobia is merely a difference in opinion?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Unless they live in MI, WI, PA, NC, or FL, their trump votes don't really matter.

It'd be harder to ignore what they did to this country if I did know Trump voters from those states.

Why is it that Trump supporters are somehow absolved from having to treat the scapegoats of his campaign as human, but those scapegoats are expected to receive Trump supporters with open arms

Hip Hop

I don't love, nor want to unify with, or tolerate, sexism, racism, xenophobia. That's literally the opposite of what the three values mean, it doesn't mean, accept any backwards ass view. It doesn't mean, respect the people who view you as subhuman because of the way you were born, it doesn't mean, just sit down, be quiet, and don't voice the fact that you are hurt, betrayed, and terrified not only for yourself but for your family, your friends, your SO, your children, your students, they aren't and never will accept us with open arms, so why the hell should we do the same?
Okay, so let's keep the status quo by you babbling like a child.

All of this.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I don't talk much politics with people at my office and even some of my groups of people I hang out with. I just don't care to especially at work where it can result in a host of other issues. I think everyone realizes I'm fairly liberal though as I have said I was no fan of Trump when asked about it. I don't think anything will be that different, we're professional enough at my workplace but I'm sure it will be awkward for the immediate future.

Fox Mulder

Pieces of shit that I won't tolerate in my life.

I hate everything they stand for. Obama spent much of his time trying to reach to the other side when we should have just said fuck them.

We need to have a culture war with these people for our country.

I don't associate with Trump supporters, or Republicans in general. Luckily, I'm in a minority community so my interactions are limited to seeing stickers on cars.

The few Trump supporters on my FB, I unfriended.

marrec

Banned
Is that how things going to be now? Tolerating sexism, racism, xenophobia is merely a difference in opinion?

We gotta tolerate individual people who may or may not bigoted but may have voted for Trump regardless.

There is no room for tolerance of bigotry, but that does not mean we alienate or hate or worse those who just don't understand or the consequences of voting for Von Clownstick.

The difference of opinion isn't "fuck black people and gay people" it's "Trump isn't the racist, sexist, bigot everyone on the left says he is". Which is a refrain I've been hearing from the right for a year.

LosDaddie

Banned
Been putting coworker's on the spot at work to explain Trump Healthcare, giving South Korea nukes, etc. And then berating them when they can't explain any of Trumps policies to me.
That's keeping a lot of them away from me seeing as most can't.

So you're that guy in the office.

KAL2006

Banned
Best to just not mention it. This is someone from UK where people who voted for brexit. When I asked them why they voted nicely to not tell their reasons or shy away from a discussion.

People even on Facebook start deleting statuses that were made prior to the result as they feel embarassed by their vote or just don't want people to have a thoughtful discussion of why they voted.

bidguy

Banned
Guys, 90% of people I know who voted for trump are not sexist, racist, or xenophobic...

why did they vote for him ? they basically elected a sexist,racist and xenophobic man into the highest office but why ? does trump have any political experience ?

he said stuff that would have ended the race for any previous candidate but still got elected. i truly dont get it

Nelo Ice

Banned
I live in CA. Already blocked and unfriended the only supporter I knew. And more I'll avoid red states and cities like the plague.

Crossing Eden

Okay, so let's keep the status quo by you babbling like a child.
What about ANY of what I said even remotely sounded like babble, please proceed and actually explain what part of my post was wrong.

All of this.
All the closet moderates coming out of the woodwork on this site too are just as bad. "You minorities and LBGT folk should be more tolerant of the people who view you as subhuman filth.

Ryzaki009

I'm ignoring them.

That said when they start whining about the results I'm either gonna laugh or give em the stank eye.

SDCowboy

We gotta tolerate individual people who may or may not bigoted but may have voted for Trump regardless.

There is no room for tolerance of bigotry, but that does not mean we alienate or hate or worse those who just don't understand or the consequences of voting for Von Clownstick.

The difference of opinion isn't "fuck black people and gay people" it's "Trump isn't the racist, sexist, bigot everyone on the left says he is". Which is a refrain I've been hearing from the right for a year.

Save your breath, man. There are too many on this forum that assume if all Trump voters are racist sexists who hate gays. I voted for Hillary myself, but the misinformed hate some have for people that Voted Trump is far scarier than Trump being president.

Crossing Eden

Guys, 90% of people I know who voted for trump are not sexist, racist, or xenophobic...
Psst....sorry to break it to you but, yes they are, at the very least, they passively support/tolerate it at best and agree with it at worst.

Save your breath, man. There are too many on this forum that assume if all Trump voters are racist sexists who hate gays. I voted for Hillary myself, but the misinformed hate some have for people that Voted Trump is far scarier than Trump being president.
They actively voted for someone's whose entire policies can be summed up in intolerance, bigotry, sexism, and xenophobia, who has decades of actions worth proving reinforcing that mindset, whose entire start in the election was based on the absolute fuck ton of irredeemable shit he said about minorities, who literally has nothing resembling a plausible policy besides what he'll do to "make america great again." This thread is only proving that the moderates, like MLK said, are who we should fear just as much as the people open about it.

marrec

Banned
If thats what it takes to prevent another Trump its worth discussing.

I think what we should be discussion isn't tolerance of biogtry, but the idea that not everyone who disagrees with the left is a bigot.

Left elitism is as much to blame for this election as racism and bigotry are.

I'm telling them to go fuck themselves for enabling such an awful absence of humanity.

To the "get a grip"ers, I didn't act this way for Bush. But this is clearly an exception, yes? A no-office-holding KKK endorsed celebrity as the POTUS? Nah, that's uncommon.

bidguy

Banned

i think the hate stems from the fact that people who vote for trump cant explain why they voted for him or at least they cant give good reasons other than "we need change". is trump really the change america needs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom