• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are you dealing with people who voted for Trump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mid83

I do live in DFW, but having grown up in Texas, I had never seen a gay couple hold hands in public until I visited San Francisco. The suburbs around here are white heteronormative cookie cutter like anyone would expect. Not necessarily hostile, but not very exposed to LGBT people out in broad daylight everywhere.

I live in Houston and I see gay couples being affectionate quite often. It is a more common in the city but still seen throughout the suburbs too.

Like the poster you responded to said, Houston at least is definitely is a pretty diverse and accepting place.

airpower

Neo Member
Thanks for assuming, but actually my former friend was the one who attacked me, simply because I did not share his view of a glorious Trump future.

On a related note, I also saw someone post a photo on FB today of a shotgun with the caption, "GET ON BOARD, OR GET OUT".

I've just seen it happen before. Hell, the same thing happened between my gay brother in law (who didn't like Hillary) and his other gay friend (who despises Trump but also didn't like Hillary). This stuff happens, people get over it and move on.

Now, if you're friends with someone that's just generally a bad person then it's a different story, but if that's not the case I still wouldn't let something like this ruin a long term friendship.

I live in Houston and I see gay couples being affectionate quite often. It is a more common in the city but still seen throughout the suburbs too.

Like the poster you responded to said, Houston at least is definitely is a pretty diverse and accepting place.

Glad to see someone else feels the same way. Texas gets a pretty bad rap, Trump might say "it's unfair". I love living in Houston, no one really cares what your race is, what your sexual preference is, what nationality you are, overall it's pretty much live and let live and low drama on the social level.

not much. what little progress was made over the last 8 years were hard fought scraps. and the Republicans are going to undue them within the next year while taking away even more. and this is what they've been working towards for decades. you simply aren't going to convince them to stop. we have to fight them and win. the numbers are on our side and the boomers are old and dying. we just need the democrats to wake up. which is a scary place to be in right now.

Ok so lets stop this whole thing where we sit around and wait for people to die...That is awful full stop. You said we have to fight you damn right and we will I'm with ya! I believe alot of Dems were "woke" before Nov 9th we are just going to have to do a better job with the message for sure. It's not hopeless though. Racist gonna be there we gonna have to address it. This is not scary, this is life. Lets live it. Change it. Fight for it.

Hale-XF11

It's time like these that I'm grateful to work in a mostly liberal environment with mostly rational and reasonable people. I didn't have that privilege at my last job where the environment was often incendiary and unproductive.

Talked to some friends about it and although I voted for Hillary, I understood why they voted for Trump and we're all still on the same terms.

They voted for him not for his negative comments (they were against all of his negatives) but voted for him because even with those comments they feel the current government has failed them and Hillary would be more of same, Hillary is horrible and has done worse than Trump even with his comments (bringing up the Syria thing and some of her past actions), feel that Trump's skills will help him more than Hillary considering he's not part of "the system" so he's a fresh start for things. They also feel Trump's negative comments were bullshit and a tactic used to get more votes (stated that he used the same tactic he talked about in his book except on a political scale). To the "Hillary is worse" stuff, they said that even with Trump's bluffs that still doesn't account up to the negatives that Hillary's actually done that people aren't talking about. They feel that with Hillary things would get worse (given it's the same ol same ol) rather than finally switching things up. They've also said that Trump's a Republican but he's not part of the "Republican system" so he likely wouldn't be in the same condition as some of the rest. They'd rather take a shot with him than with Hillary given her past.

They're all the educated white class as well. Sure, a lot of that isn't rural America but that's what I get from some who actually voted for Trump. Me? I'm a Southern black man who voted for Hillary.

So overall, I'm not lumping them in with the rural America group, as they hated his negative comments. Like I said before, they feel Trump's anti-LBGT/minorities comments were bullshit and are heavily against it if anything of that sort even comes to light, they chalk it up to "comments politicians say in politics that are bluffs" rather than "comments that will be done once in office". Most have been following politics heavily for years and after a long thinking process made their decision.

More of the Trump's not a real Republican bullshit. Have you seen his probable cabinet? It's basically an all star gathering of most prominent conservatives in the past 20+ years. Seriously, go check out, educate yourself, educate your friends, look at the facts. The Facts!!!

They had a right to vote just like we did, they voted for who they wanted we voted for who we wanted. Treat them like a person, not like trash.

There's a reason political talk is generally frowned upon in the work place and it's reasons like this, just because someone likes a different candidate than you you are willing to end any friendships or chances at friendship.

Concept17

Got into it with my brother yesterday. He works in coal, lives in Montana. Most my family voted Trump.

Fortunately i live in Seattle so I don't really have to deal with them. The problem is I have a strong feeling to step away from my family altogether at this point.

I am not engaging with them, or reaching out to them in anyway whatsoever. However, it's been hilarious seeing them hypocritically cry and whine about hurt feelings on social media in reaction to people expressing their justified shock and disgust. After 8 years of them shitting on Obama, their cries ring so hollow.

In this weird period of denial, I don't quite hate my family who voted Trump yet. I'm hoping it won't be as bad as it assuredly will be. Of course racists are already feeling justified and are harming people right now.

However, in a year, when they start passing discriminatory, environment harming, anti regulatory laws that destroy the lower classes, it'll become pretty easy to disown them.

They had a right to vote just like we did, they voted for who they wanted we voted for who we wanted. Treat them like a person, not like trash.

Yes, they had a right to vote for my rights and life to be imperiled by a Trump administration.

I have a right to react to them accordingly.

Their "right to vote" does not factor in to it. It is not a matter of "different opinions". Jesus, people, read the fucking thread.

airpower

Neo Member
Yes, they had a right to vote for my rights and life to be imperiled by a Trump administration.

I have a right to react to them accordingly.

Their "right to vote" does not factor in to it. It is not a matter of "different opinions". Jesus, people, read the fucking thread.

Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts about a person that is passionately against abortion due to their belief system (whatever that may be) and when the conversation comes up they are combative and aggressive in support of what they believe?

Do you respond well to that approach? Does it change your perspective on the subject? Do you end up being more defensive and combative in response?

Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts about a person that is passionately against abortion due to their belief system (whatever that may be) and when the conversation comes up they are combative and aggressive in support of what they believe?

Do you respond well to that approach? Does it change your perspective on the subject? Do you end up being more defensive and combative in response?

I'm pretty much not going to be persuaded on that issue, so it's irrelevant.

In the case of this particular election, I'd note that they apparently prioritize the "lives of the unborn" over the lives of literally everyone else.

But if you're going to try to come at me with some, "What we really need is for marginalized people to be NICER to bigots" stuff, go ahead and miss me with that garbage.

airpower

Neo Member
I'm pretty much not going to be persuaded on that issue, so it's irrelevant.

In the case of this particular election, I'd note that they apparently prioritize the "lives of the unborn" over the lives of literally everyone else.

But if you're going to try to come at me with some, "What we really need is for marginalized people to be NICER to bigots" stuff, go ahead and miss me with that garbage.

Alright buddy, your way or the highway... loud and clear.

airpower

Neo Member
When it comes to basic civil rights for minorities? Yeah, kinda.

What part of "I do not deserve to be treated like a second class citizen" do you think deserves polite debate?

I don't get the feeling you actually want to discuss anything, so is there really any point in continuing on?

Lime

Stop preaching to people about how they should run their lives Astaleview.

Fuck my racist family members and fuck yours also.

I don't think Astralview is advocating ruining lives of Trump voters, but organizing and pushing back against Trump & his horror cabinet

airpower

Neo Member
"aww come on, cant people be even a little racist, even if they are against abortion also? Just compromise!"

You missed my point.

don't pretend that there's anything to discuss. there aren't two equally valid sides to every issue.

I never said there were, I was just going to ask questions to get a better understanding of the prior posters comments and potentially engage him in a conversation since I didn't really understand what he was taking issue with.

I never said there were, I was just going to ask questions to get a better understanding of the prior posters comments and potentially engage him in a conversation since I didn't really understand what he was taking issue with.

What I'm taking issue with is this, "Oh, well, we all voted. Respect people with different opinions" pablum.

I respect people with different opinions on marginal tax rates or infrastructure policy. I do not respect people with different opinions on the basic humanity and civil rights of marginalized groups.

People voting for Trump, even if they did not do it BECAUSE of how it would affect minority citizens, did so DESPITE that fact. None of this was secret. None of it was hidden. It was right there out in the open, so abundantly clear that even the fucking KKK (not exactly known for their grasp of nuance) picked up on it.

They have to own that. They don't get to brush it off with, "Oh, well, I didn't mean all THAT stuff." It was right there. They knew about it. They did it anyway. That's on them.

airpower

Neo Member
What I'm taking issue with is this, "Oh, well, we all voted. Respect people with different opinions" pablum.

I respect people with different opinions on marginal tax rates or infrastructure policy. I do not respect people with different opinions on the basic humanity and civil rights of marginalized groups.

People voting for Trump, even if they did not do it BECAUSE of how it would affect minority citizens, did so DESPITE that fact. None of this was secret. None of it was hidden. It was right there out in the open, so abundantly clear that even the fucking KKK (not exactly known for their grasp of nuance) picked up on it.

They have to own that. They don't get to brush it off with, "Oh, well, I didn't mean all THAT stuff." It was right there. They knew about it. They did it anyway. That's on them.

Cool, conversation and understanding is all I'm looking for, thank you.

I'm not saying you have to respect those people by any means, my only thought it that being combative with those people would likely be less productive than not speaking to them at all.

That's just my experience with people that have different points of views, you cannot beat over the head to the point where they actually see it from your perspective.

BillyJack

Banned
Its so funny how my concerns keep changing hour to hour.
I was mostly worried about the damage TRUMP himself would be responsible for as president. Now though I'm worried about the actual national fabric of this country. This whole event has elicited such hostility and division that I think we could be heading into a very dark period in the history of America.

Oscar

I have a five year old that came home from school worried because she was told by peers that "President Trump is going to send everyone like you back to Mexico".

She was born in the states and so were we, so I reassured her that everything would alright.

Crushed me inside though, she's too young for this shit.

Shaanyboi

Banned

That person doesn't have to get an abortion if they don't want to, but they have no right to dictate their beliefs over others.

Jeels

I have a five year old that came home from school worried because she was told by peers that "President Trump is going to send everyone like you back to Mexico".

She was born the states and so were we, so I reassured her that everything would alright.

Crushed me inside though, she's too young for this shit.

Man, reading stuff like this gets me so sad. I went to a diverse school and ya different races would say things, but this type of stuff is just so foreign to me...

Echoing a few posts above me, I think this election is the start of some horrible times...

I had a good hour long text chat with my sister. I can be more honest with the workd than with my own family. I was so sick of pretending to be nice because it's family and now I've cut all ties. She blames Obama for standing up to BLM for white supremecies coming out of the wood works. It's his fault we have racism divide in America.

Living in California has at least taught me that there are other tolerent people out there. That my life and choices are never to be shuned and hidden the way they were when I was younger.

I called my aunt out on her bigorty and hatred a few weeks ago. I have no regrets over it. Those are pretty much the last two family members I kept in contact with.

My great great aunt is a strong democrate in Indiana. A few years ago I saw a hand written note from President Obama for her support during the election hanging on her wall. I wish the rest of my family was more like her.

Jetman

Calmed down a little bit since spitting hot fire at Trump voters Wednesday morning.

Still not talking to certain friends or family. Still angry and disgusted as fuck at them.

I'm still Very outspoken in what I think about people who voted Trump at work and in public. Somewhere deep down in their brains his voters are okay with racism, mysogyny, homophobia, and xenophobia, voted that piece of shit in, and need to own up to the fact that they own those labels now. I say that easily within earshot and loud enough so his voters can hear.

Thinking about hitting up the Anti-Trump rally in DTLA tomorrow. Think maybe it'll be somewhat cathartic to yell "FUCK TRUMP" at the top of my lungs at whomever is in earshot. Seminworried about getting tased, beaten, or jailed into submission because of shitbag anarchists in the crowd taking things too far.

NimbusD

Not looking forward to thanksgiving that's for sure. Pretty sure mysister in law voted for him, the most I've talked to her about it since has been her saying that 'many' states had majority minority support for trump. I literally have no idea where she got this information and she never responded when I asked.

BriGuy

I think I mentioned earlier how I was "dis-invited" from Thanksgiving this year, so the short answer is I'm not dealing with them.

GO VISIT YOUR FUCKING FAMILIES! YES EVEN THE RACIST ONES!

They need you more than ever! Even if you don't think so!

White people please visit your families this Thanksgiving Jesus Christ.

You may fail. But you try again. You never give up. And its family. Family.

This is my opinion as well. Burning bridges only going to make things worse. And it goes against the very fundamental tenets of the liberal mentality.

The janitor who cleans my office is someone I consider a friend and we always talk whenever he comes in. He recently broke his hip and was pretty despondent because he was in a lot of pain and couldn't move. I called him and talked to him for about an hour to try to cheer him up and get him to move around per the doctor's orders. During that conversation I found out he had voted Trump.

How do I intend to deal with him? I'm going to go visit him at his home and bring him some of his favorite dessert. I'm Asian and despite his vote, I'm going to combat Trump's hateful rhetoric and beliefs with love, not hate.

I unfollowed three people on Facebook today. Suddenly, I feel like I can be back on Facebook now. I do find solace that one of those people that I unfollowed is older and will probably die soon. He truly is racist. I've heard him use the N-word when I was a kid.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
So, on Wednesday in my acting class, the teacher, understandably pretty pissed off about the election, decided to dedicate the class to the election. The whole class was pretty pissed off.

All but one, a Trump voter. She just mentioned she voted for Trump and stayed quiet the whole class.

On a side note she's also my scene partner for my final, so that's going to be interesting from now on.

But as we were all lashing out at Trump and bashing the hell out of him, I noticed she started to look a bit uncomfortable. She just had her head down after a while. The thing is, we didn't talk to her. We didn't lash out at her. We didn't call her a racist, sexist or anything like that. All of our anger was towards Trump and his campaign. After a while our teacher said to her "Are you ok? Do you have anything to say?" She just shook her head and said, "No. Not really."

Today, when she came to class she was pretty quiet. She mentioned she wasn't sure if she would come to class today. But she thought about what we said and it was pretty eye opening.

I think she realized she fucked up and I think she realized why we are so fearful of a Trump presidency.

This is completely different from the other Trump supporters I know. I posted on this thread that on Facebook, the one Trump supporter that talked to me instead of posting memes, tried to excuse Trump about his Mexican comments by saying "It's ok. You're a US citizen, He's not good with words. He wasn't talking about you." and then when I explained further why those comments were so hurtful, he said that he was sorry I felt this way, and that he'd never understand how it's like to be in my shoes. Then a day later he said the protesters were acting like spoiled brats.

But like I said, this was a completely different experience.

I'm still not sure of her true feelings, but I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. Plus I kinda need to work with her for the next few weeks. Now the real question is, will she stand with us against Trump's hatred?

airpower

Neo Member
That person doesn't have to get an abortion if they don't want to, but they have no right to dictate their beliefs over others.

I wasn't asking what you believe in, I was asking how you respond to that person. You can use any example that is counter to what you believe, just have that person approach the conversation in an aggressive, combative, even demeaning manner.... how do you respond to that?

So, on Wednesday in my acting class, the teacher, understandably pretty pissed off about the election, decided to dedicate the class to the election. The whole class was pretty pissed off.

All but one, a Trump voter. She just mentioned she voted for Trump and stayed quiet the whole class.

On a side note she's also my scene partner for my final, so that's going to be interesting from now on.

But as we were all lashing out at Trump and bashing the hell out of him, I noticed she started to look a bit uncomfortable. She just had her head down after a while. The thing is, we didn't talk to her. We didn't lash out at her. We didn't call her a racist, sexist or anything like that. All of our anger was towards Trump and his campaign. After a while our teacher said to her "Are you ok? Do you have anything to say?" She just shook her head and said, "No. Not really."

Today, when she came to class she was pretty quiet. She mentioned she wasn't sure if she would come to class today. But she thought about what we said and it was pretty eye opening.

I think she realized she fucked up and I think she realized why we are so fearful of a Trump presidency.

This is completely different from the other Trump supporters I know. I posted on this thread that on Facebook, the one Trump supporter that talked to me instead of posting memes, tried to excuse Trump about his Mexican comments by saying "It's ok. You're a US citizen, He's not good with words. He wasn't talking about you." and then when I explained further why those comments were so hurtful, he said that he was sorry I felt this way, and that he'd never understand how it's like to be in my shoes. Then a day later he said the protesters were acting like spoiled brats.

But like I said, this was a completely different experience.

I'm still not sure of her true feelings, but I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. Plus I kinda need to work with her for the next few weeks. Now the real question is, will she stand with us against Trump's hatred?

If you guys were blasting people that supported Trump, calling them racist et al, even if not her specifically, she was still probably feeling like you were talking about her. Pretty unprofessional for an acting professor to devote an entire class to the election in my opinion, not a big fan of teachers that do that kind of stuff regardless of who they support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom