• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are you dealing with people who voted for Trump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of republicans dislike Trump though, and some of the stuff in his "contract" goes directly against their self interests. I question how much of that garbage he'll actually be able to achieve. Hopefully none of it...

And those people who you're counting on to shoot down that stuff still have to run for re-election, including in primaries where the majority of their party voted for Trump.

The idea that the GOP Congress might offer some sort of "principled resistance" is a fairy tale, and that's leaving aside the absolutely heinous ideas that they're in favor of.

Shaanyboi

Banned
There is so much slippery slope nonsense in here. No, you should not react or fight back at hate and anger with more hate and anger, but that doesn't mean you need to sit there and accept it. This constantly trying to assign blame, toss labels on groups, figure out who is what is just absolutely ridiculous and solves jack and shit. Congratulations, you've decided there is now a "moderate liberal" group who just wants you all to "accept racists and bigots". Great, now what does that label do other than just marginalize another group of people? Don't you see how this happened to begin with? Stop labelling people, stop attacking people, fight back with logic, common sense, a measured understanding but firm denial of hateful beliefs. I just don't get this, it's all so circular and pointless and starts the whole cycle up again.

The people voting Trump clearly did not respond when presented with facts. They clearly did not respond when it was pointed out what a swine he is. They clearly did not respond when all of his hypocrisy was pointed out clear as fucking day.

So you think people voted for a racist, misogynist, dangerously incompetent man because liberals are mean and or smug?

I mean, that is the caricature of liberals from the right. And yes they absolutely relish in seeing the "smug" liberals cry.

Garrison Keillor wrote a great article about it today:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...46ffc2-a67f-11e6-8fc0-7be8f848c492_story.html

The Trumpers never expected their guy to actually win the thing, and that’s their problem now. They wanted only to whoop and yell, boo at the H-word, wear profane T-shirts, maybe grab a crotch or two, jump in the RV with a couple of six-packs and go out and shoot some spotted owls. It was pleasure enough for them just to know that they were driving us wild with dismay — by “us,” I mean librarians, children’s authors, yoga practitioners, Unitarians, bird-watchers, people who make their own pasta, opera-goers, the grammar police, people who keep books on their shelves, that bunch. The Trumpers exulted in knowing we were tearing our hair out. They had our number, like a bratty kid who knows exactly how to make you grit your teeth and froth at the mouth.

MUnited83

For you.
I can't rule out the possibility. There's been a lot of insult-flinging on both sides of this campaign, and all it does is make people less likely to listen to the other side.

If this was remotely accurate, the democrats would have won with the highest turnout record in decades.

A lot of republicans dislike Drumpf though, and some of the stuff in his "contract" goes directly against their self interests. I question how much of that garbage he'll actually be able to achieve. Hopefully none of it...
His cabinet is completely full of Republican establishment. His administration will play to the tune of the rest of republicans.

molnizzle

And those people who you're counting on to shoot down that stuff still have to run for re-election, including in primaries where the majority of their party voted for Trump.

The idea that the GOP Congress might offer some sort of "principled resistance" is a fairy tale, and that's leaving aside the absolutely heinous ideas that they're in favor of.

=(

Most racists these days try to keep their racist thoughts and feelings behind closed doors.

This implies a sort of negligent intent behind each and every Trump supporter, which isn't true. A better way of phrasing it would be to say that they just don't give a fuck about anything that isn't them. They looked to an immediate solution, and supported a racist. They're not directly racist in the way we traditionally look at it, but indirectly supported one. Labeling these people as racist instead of explaining why they're actions were racist is going to keep splitting the seems.

My parents in law voted for Trump.

They will never see their granddaughter again.

I am totally serious.

They voted for her life to be at risk. Why would I let them endanger her further?

And yes, my wife is fully in support and feels if anything more strongly about it, since she's known them longer.

That's about where I'm at. I don't have a kid yet but by god I'm contemplating what the fuck to do if/when I have one. I'm skipping out on Thanksgiving at least.

Part of me thinks if they see some real consequences of their hatred maybe then they'll learn. Probably not, though.
That's incredibly harsh, but I understand. Say what you will about comparing this election to others in terms of reactions, but I've never seen an election split families like this.

I hope you can figure out a way to make them understand. No one should be forced into such a decision. <3

So you think people voted for a racist, misogynist, dangerously incompetent man because liberals are mean and or smug?

That's a vast over-simplification on the smugness of Millennials this election, but yeah, a lot of people are behind that. People who think it is the main cause are wrong, I feel, but it certainly didn't help. Whether or not this behavior is acceptable is a different debate, but there is some cause and effect. It just is not the clear problem.

The people voting Trump clearly did not respond when presented with facts. They clearly did not respond when it was pointed out what a swine he is. They clearly did not respond when all of his hypocrisy was pointed out clear as fucking day.

Seriously. Tell me where all of these Trump voters are who are open to being persuaded with facts. This election was a fucking AVALANCHE of facts, and they ignored it.

I'm reminded of that Brexit asshole: "People have had quite enough of experts." Yeah, apparently so.

It doesn't excuse sinking down to their level, it doesn't excuse personal attacks on people. There is a line that many crossed, absolutely, where logic and reason had no bearing on their actions and words, but that isn't a line you or anyone else should cross. Stand up and continue to fight back with what you know and feel is right, but don't do it in a way that will only provoke more anger and more hate. It will just keep going and going and going with no end. Get up, rally people, go to the polls in two years, make sure your vocal, keep your supporters heartened, keep them active, but don't sink down to their level. That's all they want, it's all they feed off of, it's an absolutely pointless endeavor. Don't ignore them, don't tolerate the hateful words and vitriolic speech, but don't do what they do, it helps no one, it only makes people even more fearful of standing up and it only makes people more worried for the future of the country.

RDreamer

That's incredibly harsh, but I understand. Say what you will about comparing this election to others in terms of reactions, but I've never seen an election split families like this.

I hope you can figure out a way to make them understand. No one should be forced into such a decision. <3

To be fair I don't really think there's ever been an election quite like this or a man elected quite like this. I wouldn't split my family for voting Romney or even McCain when that happened. Even Bush I wouldn't split my family up over. This is an entirely different beast in my opinion.

Eidan

To hear people speak in this thread, you'd think Republicans would stop winning elections if Democrats were just kinder. Brilliant strategy. I wish I had a wayback machine so I could go back and tell Clinton's campaign the secret to winning Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania isn't discussing lost jobs from globalization and automation, but instead making sure her supporters stop condemning racism online.

To be fair I don't really think there's ever been an election quite like this or a man elected quite like this. I wouldn't split my family for voting Romney or even McCain when that happened. Even Bush I wouldn't split my family up over. This is an entirely different beast in my opinion.

That's what I mean, and it's so disheartening.

RDreamer

Consider treating people how you would like to be treated....in all circumstances.

And this actually is exactly why I'm harsh and don't let people get away with their bullshit. I was dumb when I was younger and people didn't sugar coat it for me. I needed to be fucking told I was a transphobic/homophobic piece of shit to rethink things. And I did.

I'm privileged enough to be able to work from home. I skipped out from going into the office for the past two days as I knew I'm not ready to deal with them.

It's genuinely tough to deal with. If it was any other Republican candidate, it it was anyone who could go a week without saying something that makes some minority group afraid, if it wasn't the one candidate their party who they disavowed from the beginning, I could deal.

This, honestly, is a step way too far.

I'm privileged enough to be able to work from home. I skipped out from going into the office for the past two days as I knew I'm not ready to deal with them.

It's genuinely tough to deal with. If it was any other Republican candidate, it it was anyone who could go a week without saying something that makes some minority group afraid, if it wasn't the one candidate their party who they disavowed from the beginning, I could deal.

This, honestly, is a step way too far.

Exactly. If it were a Romney or McCain or even Cruz or Rubio, I would get the "difference of opinion" stuff. I would be disappointed and sad my candidate didn't win, but I would understand.

Trump is a completely different beast.

EDIT: I just realized RDreamer posted almost this exact thing above, phrasing and all... Clearly I'm not the only one who feels this way.

MUnited83

For you.
To hear people speak in this thread, you'd think Republicans would stop winning elections if Democrats were just kinder. Brilliant strategy. I wish I had a wayback machine so I could go back and tell Clinton's campaign the secret to winning Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania isn't discussing lost jobs from globalization and automation, but instead making sure her supporters stop condemning racism online.

Yeah, this narrative people are trying to push that Republicans voted for Trump because dems were meanies on reddit to them it's quite frankly ridiculous.

Exactly. If it were a Romney or McCain or even Cruz or Rubio, I would get the "difference of opinion" stuff. I would be disappointed and sad my candidate didn't win, but I would understand.

EDIT: I just realized RDreamer posted almost this exact thing above, phrasing and all... Clearly I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Adding my agreement here. I probably would've even been angry. I would not have been reassessing my political axioms and commitment to our current democratic system.

Codeblue

What it's brought you is a quality of life that is better than it has been at any other point in this country's history. As bad as things currently are, they used to be so much worse. That's the sad reality. We're making progress—we're just not making it fast enough. We're capable of doing so much better.

More allies from the privileged majority would help. And would lower our chances of ever having another monster like Trump in the White House.

I seriously don't understand what you can say to convince someone that doesn't perceive the phrase "Mexicans are rapists and criminals" to be racist, that they're missing something. I'm not sure how to teach a person that I'm a human being too.

I told my boss that I felt bigotry was on the ballot, and he told me that white people have been demonized and discriminated against for the last 8 years. I told him I didn't think he was an outright racist, just ignorant, and that really seemed to offend him.

I get what you're trying to say, but I think some people are just beyond hope and we should focus less on trying to trying to convince racists that they're wrong, and focus more on running up our own vote, fighting against voter suppression laws, and getting the vote out for midterms.

If they can't see Trump's statements for what they are, what can you say?

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
I poured my heart out on Facebook about the election results and how we now have a President-Elect who said that people like myself bringing crime, drugs and rapes.

Most Trump supporters were posting memes about "Liberal Tears" and such, but one talked to me and said Trump isn't good with words and said he wasn't talking about me because I am an American Citizen.

I expanded on why those comments still hurt as a Mexican-American, and he responded with "I'm sorry you feel this way. You're right I will never fully understand what it's like to be in your shoes."

The next day, when the Trump protests starting popping up, he said that they were acting like "spoiled brats".

So in my experience, the Trump supporters I know are either gloating about Liberal salt and the one that did bother to talk, can't fully understand why I feel the way I do.

Very encouraging.

pigeon

Banned

They're free to come and talk to us any time about their choice. I am happy to explain things to them. Forgiveness is always possible. It starts with contrition and confession.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I don't live in the US(Canada), but my only coworker is a pure conservative (fuck liberals, media and muslims kind of conservative) and he sure likes to gloat these days about seeing Clinton & the democrats lose and all the "tears" from the liberal & the media.

Not much I can do outside of just nodding to what he says. Since I work in a room with him alone, I don't really want the atmosphere in the room to turn bad because we keep on disagreeing on politics rather than actually working together in our job.

pigeon

Banned
Adding my agreement here. I probably would've even been angry. I would not have been reassessing my political axioms and commitment to our current democratic system.

This is pretty much it.

Do we support democracy, or do we support civil rights and believe that democracy is usually the best way to achieve and protect them?

A lot of republicans dislike Trump though, and some of the stuff in his "contract" goes directly against their self interests. I question how much of that garbage he'll actually be able to achieve. Hopefully none of it...
Those same Republicans who hated him (Ted Cruz, Paul Ryan, Rick Perry, Mitch McConnell, etc) endorsed him and therefore got more Republican voters to unite who would have not voted or switched teams, though. So, expecting them to protest against Trump's actions seems a bit naive.

Trump and his ilk had no qualms about using a broad brush to paint me and mine as drug-dealing, murdering, rapists, So I have to problem lumping all Trump supporters into the racist, homophobic, xenophobic,cousin-fucking pile of inbred illiterate shitfuckasscockdick....Yeah, I'm upset.

I posted on facebook that if you go missing from my friends list it's probably because you're bigot adjacent or apologizing for and/or coddling bigots or bigot adjacents. I'm done with both full stop. To my rights soon to be destroyed there is NO difference. I don't care about any bigot/bigot adjacents thoughts or feelings. I have to deal with the consequences irrespective of their misguided intentions.

I'm not for this false peace when there is injustice afoot. If you tell me to step in line you can get stepped on for all I care. I'm not compromising with bigotry full stop. If that offends you we were never allies in the first place.

aZiUMqo.jpg

And now we've got President Trump for at least 4 years, so who's really playing the violin here?

Calling a spade a spade turns them against you though. Then they vote against you. Then we get Trump.

I know you're not interested. Most liberals aren't, and weren't. How'd that work out for us?

We must work to educate them. Some of them can be educated. I was a republican voter my first few elections until some smart people finally helped me understand how destructive the party was. A spade is a spade&#8212;we just need to teach them that without making them dig their heals in.

See all this is short sighted.

There's a couple things wrong here:

First there are the issues of the poor and working class whites who are disenfranchised with the American political class. People of colour have been just as much, if not more disenfranchised as they have for decades. This is not new and nobody is saying "The fuck are these crazy white people talking about?" The issues that have caused their disenfranchisement might be slightly different because a lot of them are rural farmers but we can all understand it the disenfranchisement because we're disenfranchised too.

The second issue however is there's a group of white people out there who seem to think that racism was solved in 2008 when Obama was elected. And that they're doing every person of colour a huge favour whenever they vote for a black guy. People who think that if they simply don't see colour and treat everyone equally, we all gonna be gucci. This is a much longer term issue that won't be solved even if the next President would LeBron James, the VP is gonna Jennifer Lopez and the Secretary of State is Jeremy Lin and the rest of his staff being various members of Tribecalledquest and the motherfucking Wu-Tang Clan.

We had Obama for the last 8 years. Trayvon Martin was still murdered and his killer set free. Cops still shot up unarmed black men, got caught on 1080p and large portion of white people still said "But don't forget, #AllLivesMatter", the state of Arizona still implemented an unconstitutional racist law (SB1070) that targeted Latinos. All that shit still happened in a "post-racial" America. The Trump victory was just the tipping point for a lot of visible minorities because a very clear message was sent to them that their opinions don't mean shit. That is way deeper than just about winning the next election, or the next one or the following five elections.

A lot of us have very good reason to be angry and frustrated and it's pretty clear to me at least that being nice, turning the other cheek and trying to be "One of the good ones" isn't working.

Trickster

I'm don't live in, or am an american citizen, so obviously I don't really have to deal with anyone who voted for him.

However, I would probably do 2 things, depending on how close my relationship with the persons where. Family and close friends, I'd try my damndest to make them understand why supporting Trump is a terrible thing to do. Eventually though, if they kept their heads buried in the ground, I'd honestly just start cutting them out of my life. Might seem harsh to some, but if someone close to me could still support him, after I'd tried my best to show and tell them what he's said and done, they really would not be someone I would want in my life. Even if was my immediate family. It would just be like having a dagger in my chest everytime I'd be interacting with them.

Anyone else I'd just straight up remove from my life. Ain't gonna waste time on facebook getting upset at random "friends" going "fuck yeah, we made america great again!"

Codeblue

I didn't vote for a promise to undermine human rights in pursuit of my own self interest and I never would. An appeal for unity now is an appeal to accept that vulnerable communities will be trampled on.

We've had to deal with false equivalencies for this entire election, I was hoping it wouldn't persist.

Unfriend them and ignore them.

This is what I did to all my friends, co-workers, acquaintances and family (yes) on my Facebook. I don't need to hang out with people that support bigot, sexist, xenophobic, homophobic. There are plenty of good decent people out there that I can enjoy my time with instead of having to read all the bullshit they spout.

My wife comes from a Republican family. I deal with it at family functions but afterwards I confide with her and express my dissatisfactions.

Quick side mention...I work in government and my job is community planning and I am idealist that wants to help everyone. I see Trump as racist, sexist, bigot, etc. With Trump, I'm wary of wars, loss in environment, social up heaval, etc. to follow. Fyi...my entire office is full left tilt politically so it was easy to show up next day. We all proudly wore blue to office in defeat (unplanned, every damn person).

So I feel completely betrayed by my wife to learn she voted Trump. I gave her an ear full at learning her vote. I've followed that up with complete silent treatment since. Had thoughts of divorce.

We're about to have a baby born under Trump... Fuuckkkkk! I'm so pissed still.

My mom voted R until I joined the Army for college money and Bush sent me to war in Iraq for oil as opposed to Afghanistan for Bin Laden. Hasn't voted R since.

But Trump is something else. Just evil and bringing out the fear of others to exploit for his path to President.

pigeon

Banned
My wife comes from a Republican family. I deal with it at family functions but afterwards I confide with her and express my dissatisfactions.

Quick side mention...I work in government and my job is community planning and I am idealist that wants to help everyone. I see Trump as racist, sexist, bigot, etc. With Trump, I'm wary of wars, loss in environment, social up heaval, etc. to follow. Fyi...my entire office is full left tilt politically so it was easy to show up next day. We all proudly wore blue to office in defeat (unplanned, every damn person).

So I feel completely betrayed by my wife to learn she voted Trump. I gave her an ear full at learning her vote. I've followed that up with complete silent treatment since. Had thoughts of divorce.

We're about to have a baby born under Trump... Fuuckkkkk! I'm so pissed still.

My mom voted R until I joined the Army for college money and Bush sent me to war in Iraq for oil as opposed to Afghanistan for Bin Laden. Hasn't voted R since.

But Trump is something else. Just evil and bringing out the fear of others to exploit for his path to President.

This is so painful. Good luck to you.

Fuck trump supporters, all of them. I don't want or need people like that in my life. Luckily I don't have to deal with them, all my friends, family, and coworkers are anti-Trump. And I also live in a blue state so I don't know any Trump supporters.

I don't think I can honestly have a conversation with a Trump supporter and not get angry so it's best if I just avoid.

This "difference of opinion" bullshit pisses me off so much. When did supporting bigotry become a difference of opinion? If is was any other candidate, I wouldn't care but trump. Oh hell naw, fuck him.

Pau

Pretty minor but annoying. Today the graduate student I work under tried to tell me how Trump and Bernie were more closely aligned politically than Bernie and Clinton. I mentioned a few of the issues that would affect me that Bernie and Trump differ on that Bernie and Clinton agreed on, one of which is women's right to choose and easy access to healthcare like birth control. To which he eventually responded that birth control and abortion are unnecessary and for stupid people anyways with lack of self control because he and his ex wife had sex without bc for eight years and never got pregnant.

I'm not sure if he was talking about pulling out (which honestly is more than I ever needed to know about my male supervisor's sexual practices) or what. I really shouldn't be having this conversation with someone who has a say in my grade for a class. :/

there are a lot of people who think like that guy

I can guarantee you they are fucking shitheels, and you can take solace that one of them hates his fucking life

Astral Dog

Ted Cruz? &#128533;

Ted Cruz? &#128533;

It would take a lot to stomach for sure, but it pains me to say he would be a better choice than Trump. Early in the campaign I might not have said that, but based on what we know about Trump now, Cruz would have been a slightly more preferable option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom