• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are you dealing with people who voted for Trump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimawolf

Funny. I have been kind of smug today. They will get their great Republican society for two years. I have told them to not whine in a year when the stock market remains in the gutter and America is gutted byba trade war.

Also that rural people will be the ones to suffer the most next to minorities, and don't even realize it.

I also don't talk with them much anymore. Can't be cool with someone who knowingly put in a racist, sexist, xenophobic guy as president who has no idea what hecis doing.

Squalor

I think what we should be discussion isn't tolerance of biogtry, but the idea that not everyone who disagrees with the left is a bigot.

Left elitism is as much to blame for this election as racism and bigotry are.
"Both sides" and "difference in opinions," am I right?
Save your breath, man. There are too many on this forum that assume if all Trump voters are racist sexists who hate gays. I voted for Hillary myself, but the misinformed hate some have for people that Voted Trump is far scarier than Trump being president.
Let's have a rundown:

Man espouses racist, sexist, xenophobic ideas and very little policy.

People vote for him.

What are they supporting, then?

Fox Mulder

Yeah let's alienate half of the country that voted for Trump, that's showing them and your message of love, unity and tolerance.

People will have a difference of opinion than mine and that's life.

I don't care, fuck them.

They opposed Obama with disgusting claims and obstructionism because he was black and gave people civil rights and health care. I oppose them because they're racist scum that will tear down progress.

Sephzilla

As someone who lives in Wisconsin, the next few weeks are going to be the fucking worst. Because Wisconsin's abrupt heel turn in the last few years, culminating with tonight, has made this state awful.

Save your breath, man. There are too many on this forum that assume if all Trump voters are racist sexists who hate gays. I voted for Hillary myself, but the misinformed hate some have for people that Voted Trump is far scarier than Trump being president.

If you vote for a man to be leader of our nation who is openly bigoted, racist, misogynist, and anti-gay, then you support those same ideals. Full stop.

If thats what it takes to prevent another Trump its worth discussing.

This makes me feel like the whole civil rights movement may have been for nothing.

The idea that bigotry should no longer be a big deal, so we don't hurt as many people's feelings and push them toward a bigoted populist icon.

Or they supported other aspects of Trump that they preferred over Hillary. Most people don't agree with everything about who they vote for.

The important difference being those same qualities would be enough to turn most sane people off of a candidate regardless of how appealing their policies were.

Those qualities were literally all Trump had.

Incarmine

Banned
Is that how things going to be now? Tolerating sexism, racism, xenophobia is merely a difference in opinion?

Regardless of how ugly they are as human beings they are still people and large enough a segment of a population that they got Trump elected. Cutting them off and treating them all like monsters only lends more credibility to their views, the biggest of which is that we are looking down on them from our ivory towers. Dismissing that real resentment is a big part of the mistake that let Trump get elected.

These people are angry that the economic recovery and technological advancement has left them behind, correct? Then find ways to bring them onto the bandwagon. Bigotry can only sustain itself as long as one dehumanizes the other and avoids contact with them. Simple exposure to different people and viewpoints will gradually wear down the bigotry over time.

We cannot begin this process if we reject them from the get go.

SDCowboy

I don't care, fuck them.

Theyre racists that opposed Obama because he was black and gave people civil rights and health care. I oppose them because they're racist scum that will tear down progress.

If you seriously think all Republicans are inherently racist or scum, you're being absurd.

quickwhips

A lot of people in this thread sound like the people they hate. Now you have something in common to build a bridge with.

All the closet moderates coming out of the woodwork on this site too are just as bad. "You minorities and LBGT folk should be more tolerant of the people who view you as subhuman filth.
Yep. It makes no sense to me. It's been said before by yor and others, but why should I have to be tolerant of these kinds of people? What sense does that even make? I'm not wrong for not being accepting of terrible people.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
If you vote for a man to be leader of our nation who is openly bigoted, racist, misogynist, and anti-gay, then you support those same ideals. Full stop.
But what about their feelings, those are the things that should be tolerated the most. /s

Perhaps this is me being oblivious since we have a multi-party system where I live.

But why would you be pissed on people that neither voted for Trump nor Clinton. I can completely get that someone doesn't have strong feelings for either candidate. Why should they be forced to vote on a candidate they don't approve of just to make sure another candidate doesn't get the office. Like how is that democracy?

Basically why is your system so fucked up?
Trust me. Normally I have no problem with someone voting for whoever they wanted to but I felt this election was different. So far every person I know that did the third party or write in vote is a straight white male and all as far as I know don't have kids. So for them it was they win win either way. They all are upper middle class too. I just felt this particular election it was too dangerous to just trust that Trump would lose so you could just vote 3rd party to feel good about yourself.

linkboy

Please tell me you aren't being serious...

Nope, dead serious.

It's gotten to the point where I can't have a discussion with my parents without it turning political, even when the subject isn't political. Everything is a political issue to them.

All they do is bitch and whine about everything. My dad is a straight up racist (majority of my family is actually). I loathe going to visit or having them come to visit.

I'm to the point where I'm ready to cut them out of my life completely.

If you seriously think all Republicans are inherently racist or scum, you're the one with the issue.

Not all Republicans. All Trump voters. ALL. OF. THEM.

Not liking the same video game as me is a "difference of opinion." Voting for a hateful sexual predator for leader of our nation is a completely fucked worldview.

shandy706

why did they vote for him ? they basically elected a sexist,racist and xenophobic man into the highest office but why ? does trump have any political experience ?

he said stuff that would have ended the race for any previous candidate but still got elected. i truly dont get it

I asked a corporate manager (and a company owner) that's a friend of mine that voted for Trump. He literally gave me one reason. 15% Corporate tax vs his current 30%+.

That's why he voted Trump. He didn't elaborate. Heck, I don't even know if that's true, but it's what he said.

My wife and most of my family voted for Trump. They don't like him but they also don't like Hillary and usually vote republican. I'll continue to feel the same way about each of them as if nothing happened.

Or they supported other aspects of Trump that they preferred over Hillary. Most people don't agree with everything about who they vote for.
Even if you don't support those things, but voting for Trump, you just made those things you don't support more widespread for the entire nation. It's not either-or; those beliefs that you don't support come with the things you do.

Not a single Trump voter I know has been empathetic of my fears of what could happen to this country as a bi citizen.

Fuck them.

What were they even afraid of under a Hillary presidency? Higher taxes despite her claiming she wouldn't raise them on people under 250k?

It's shocking to me how little empathy people I once called friends have.

marrec

Banned

Let's have a rundown:

People vote for him.

I ain't never been a both sides guy. The GOP and Republican establishment are anti-science, and have been using the bigotry of the white rural and working class voters for 5 decades to cling to power. They're bad for not only our country but the entire earth.

HOWEVER

To accept that a full half of our country is racist or bigoted simply for voting is fucking stupid.

People make decisions based on zero or low information all the time. They may have seen Trump speaking and not understood the consequences or nuances of what he was saying. Maybe they didn't hear him at all and just decided to vote AGAINST Clinton. Maybe they're racists. We don't know because a single vote doesn't determine bigotry.

When someone votes for Trump it's very likely they're supporting "change". It's very hard for a party to win a 3rd term and this is the reason why. By the end of 8 years of one party the nation is ready for a different direction.

Kimawolf

I like the idea of America not being as involved in world affairs. But i didnt vote for Trump because he also happens to be racist.

The guy thinks stop and frisk is an amazing law enforcement tool. So to me it is fair to say that there areva lot of people who dont care about minority plight. Nothing should outweigh suffering of others. And no being delusional and thinking you will get your coal mining job back is dumb.

Funny. I have been kind of smug today. They will get their great Republican society for two years. I have told them to not whine in a year when the stock market remains in the gutter and America is gutted byba trade war.

Also that rural people will be the ones to suffer the most next to minorities, and don't even realize it.

I also don't talk with them much anymore. Can't be cool with someone who knowingly put in a racist, sexist, xenophobic guy as president who has no idea what hecis doing.

Is it that these rural people THINK that because trump is this big money man that they will somehow have an american with trump towers everywhere for them to live in? They're just worse off as the rest of Americans who weren't for trump.

Briarios

Regardless of how ugly they are as human beings they are still people and large enough a segment of a population that they got Trump elected. Cutting them off and treating them all like monsters only lends more credibility to their views, the biggest of which is that we are looking down on them from our ivory towers. Dismissing that real resentment is a big part of the mistake that let Trump get elected.

These people are angry that the economic recovery and technological advancement has left them behind, correct? Then find ways to bring them onto the bandwagon. Bigotry can only sustain itself as long as one dehumanizes the other and avoids contact with them. Simple exposure to different people and viewpoints will gradually wear down the bigotry over time.

Except, they voted the people out that actually gave a fuck about them. Rural poverty and the low wages in industry are because of GOP policies. You can't fix stupid, well you could with education -- someyhing the GOP has gutted because the more educated you are the more likely you are to vote Democrat, so think about that for a second.

A lot of people in this thread sound like the people they hate. Now you have something in common to build a bridge with.

I don't want to oppress or disenfranchise any Trump voters, I just don't ever want to talk or associate with them. Not at all the same thing.

Armigr

If you seriously think all Republicans are inherently racist or scum, you're being absurd.

If you vote for Trump then you're enabling racism, which is at best just as bad and at worst even worse than being a racist yourself.

The same applies for sexism, xenophobia, homophobia and transphobia.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Let's have a rundown:

People vote for him.

His idea on free trade and NAFTA in particular proved to be a big fucking deal last night as people in states like Ohio and Michigan voted for Trump.

It resonated with people both blue collar and middle management that think NAFTA fucked them over.

Amory

What am I gonna do? Hate half the country?

I'm moving on. Trump is a fucking asshole, but the world isn't ending. People need to get a grip.

RenditMan

Banned
My wife and most of my family voted for Trump. They don't like him but they also don't like Hillary and usually vote republican. I'll continue to feel the same way about each of them as if nothing happened.

Yep, getting upset about other peoples politics is a fairly daft thing to do. Attempting to discuss it in the hope you'll change their minds, even more so.

When you should really do is wait it out, Trump will either succeed or fail and then vote again when you can do so.

Hell, he might even surprise us. Maybe. Uhm.

Incarmine

Banned
Except, they voted the people out that actually gave a fuck about them. Rural poverty and the low wages in industry are because of GOP policies. You can't fix stupid, well you could with education -- someyhing the GOP has gutted because the more educated you are the more likely you are to vote Democrat, so think about that for a second.

And so we should just start an actual class war?

Attitudes like yours won't make the problem go away.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

We literally can because THEIR leaders are the reason for all of the issues they're facing. Black people and LBGT have been here for DECADES, they've had more than enough exposure to not constantly try to fuck over our interests.

Yep, getting upset about other peoples politics is a fairly daft thing to do. Attempting to discuss it in the hope you'll change their minds, even more so.

When you should really do is wait it out, Trump will either succeed or fail and then vote again when you can do so.

Hell, he might even surprise us. Maybe. Uhm.
Literally look at Brexit and look at the affect it's had on minorities over there, yet you're saying we should "wait it out." And no, racism, xenophobia, sexism, these aren't political views. They have nothing to do with politics, they're specific forms of hate. Specific forms of hate that led to the least qualified man ever becoming president.

I ain't never been a both sides guy. The GOP and Republican establishment are anti-science, and have been using the bigotry of the white rural and working class voters for 5 decades to cling to power. They're bad for not only our country but the entire earth.

HOWEVER

To accept that a full half of our country is racist or bigoted simply for voting is fucking stupid.

People make decisions based on zero or low information all the time. They may have seen Trump speaking and not understood the consequences or nuances of what he was saying. Maybe they didn't hear him at all and just decided to vote AGAINST Clinton. Maybe they're racists. We don't know because a single vote doesn't determine bigotry.

When someone votes for Trump it's very likely they're supporting "change". It's very hard for a party to win a 3rd term and this is the reason why. By the end of 8 years of one party the nation is ready for a different direction.
I guess I don't see the difference between racist/bigoted and too stupid to realize that you're allowing terrible things to happen to people slightly different than you.

Armigr

What am I gonna do? Hate half the country?

I'm moving on. Trump is a fucking asshole, but the world isn't ending. People need to get a grip.

It's very difficult to get a grip when you are having your rights impeded or are even getting killed just because of the colour of your skin, your sexuality or your gender. All of these are things that are happening in the United States now and will continue to happen unimpeded under a Trump administration.

Kimawolf

Is it that these rural people THINK that because trump is this big money man that they will somehow have an american with trump towers everywhere for them to live in? They're just worse off as the rest of Americans who weren't for trump.
I firmly believe his celebrity and his "im a rich guy and ill fix all your problems" is what sold them. He sold them the world.

And to the milenials who voted 3rd party because "i dont trust hilary" or "she cheated Bernie!", congrats on ensuring the SCOTUS remains conservative, and probably extremely so for your lifetime.

I wonder if white people would be telling each other to get a grip if a candidate who ran on an anti-white platform was just elected

Guess we'll never know

Fox Mulder

Yes, the unprecedented opposition to Obama, questioning his birthplace, voter suppression, hating immigrants, and rolling back civil rights totally has nothing to do with being racist scum.

badb0y

I was furious last night but I'm pretty calm today. Honestly, a lot of what Trump does actually benefits me personally besides him being a racist douchebag. However, my greatest pleasure comes from the fact that Trumps policies will fuck the same people that got him elected.

danthefan

I'm sorry to add to the deluge of existing Trump threads but as I prepare to go into work today I'm wondering how to deal with co-workers who openly supported Trump. People whom I otherwise always get along well with. Not so much while we're "working" - I know to keep it professional - but during those inevitable instances when I'm asked to accompany them to lunch or casual small talk kicks up during downtime. It's like the more I consider what's happened here the less I want to have anything to do with someone who could endorse such a vile piece of shit. I'm trying not to block people on FB etc. I don't want to be petty but, really, "how could you?". Its all that keeps running through my mind right now. By extension they must feel the same way as he does. I honestly don't even want to go in. But I have to work with these people.

You could start by getting the fuck off your high horse. Half the country voted for him, he won, self righteous outrage isn't going to cut it here.

How about, I dunno, you speak to them about why they voted for him? Get their point of view maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom